• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Movie Site Lists Potential Akira Actor Candidates

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Said it before elsewhere, but I'm PRAYING this list is BS because no one at all fits even when I picture it in as an adaption in a Western setting.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I seriously hope this comes back to bite hollywood in the balls. are they really that desperate for ideas that they'd take something that has a huge following with legions of fans just to butcher it sew it up and rework it to suit their tastes and what they think is good but awful to the rest all while alienating the fans just to burn away money and waste movie goers time. just like that astroboy movie I'm not going to watch this instead I'll watch the original version and be content with that fudge hollywood adaptations if this is going to be the same old song and dance
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Pine could work. I don't mind Timberlake either. Phoenix would be an interesting choice. He's obviously much to old to play Kaneda as he appears in the manga. If they're planning on reworking things to make him a fair bit older though then he could be a good choice.

Really though, that's where it's pretty pointless to even try to speculate on what actor would be appropriate for the role. We don't even know what the hell the role will be exactly. Based on the details so far it is pretty clear that this won't be a very faithful adaptation and hey, that's fine. There's nothing inherently wrong with that. It's perfectly possible that they'll put together a movie that's quite good despite being quite different from the source material.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:36 am Reply with quote
Y'know, guys, they could've done this another way.

They could've made a movie not titled Akira and not with Akira-named characters -- but with similar plots and with similar characters with Western names. And stating that it's completely original and without acknowledging that it's based on any previous work and without paying the Akira producers any royalty. That way, nobody would think of Akira when they see the movie, just like what happened with Lion King.

And then, we'd have GATSU spamming everyone all about it, just like Inception <--> Paprika.

Would that be preferable to everyone? Laughing

Penguin_Factory wrote:
In ever press release I've seen about this, they refer to the characters as Tetsuo and Kaneda. They're not actually going to call them that, are they? Because if so, they should really get Asian actors to play them.

Nah, most likely not. Just like when they adapted Ringu into The Ring, they used Western names and actors.

MagusGuardian wrote:
I seriously hope this comes back to bite hollywood in the balls. are they really that desperate for ideas that they'd take something that has a huge following with legions of fans

Oh please, Akira is old and passe now, and some fans even think it's overrated. There are no legions of fans, just us who remember when it was new.

(BTW, "desperate for ideas that they'd take something that has a huge following with legions of fans" is something that the Japanese film industry does all the time. Death Note, anyone? Gantz? Space Battleship Yamato?)

MagusGuardian wrote:

just like that astroboy movie I'm not going to watch this instead I'll watch the original version

The new Astroboy movie wasn't bad.
BTW, did you notice any fan backlash about it? No? See.

ikillchicken wrote:

Really though, that's where it's pretty pointless to even try to speculate on what actor would be appropriate for the role. We don't even know what the hell the role will be exactly. Based on the details so far it is pretty clear that this won't be a very faithful adaptation and hey, that's fine. There's nothing inherently wrong with that. It's perfectly possible that they'll put together a movie that's quite good despite being quite different from the source material.

Yeah, we don't know the story neither. Just because it's based on something does not mean it will be exactly the same as the source. It just means it's based on something. Just like the Academy Award-winning The Departed is an adaptation of the 2002 Hong Kong film Infernal Affairs.

Last edited by enurtsol on Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:01 am; edited 5 times in total
Guardsman Bass

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:44 am Reply with quote
Personally, I think this project is awesome. Who cares if it's not set in "Neo-Tokyo"? It'll be an American film, largely made for American and international audiences.

The Tetsuo (and I hope they drop the name for an Americanized production) choices are interesting. I don't know enough about McAvoy to comment, but I think Garfield and Pattinson have their advantages. Garfield looks a lot younger, but Pattinson could probably play it too.

I think Chris Pine would be an excellent choice for Kaneda. Kaneda is brash, arrogant, and impulsive (as well as brave), and Pine has already played a character like that as Kirk in the latest Star Trek movie. I can easily imagine him saying "It's Mr. Kaneda/Whatever to you!"
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:47 am Reply with quote
What, Kanye West wasn't available?

Krauser787 wrote:
Be nice if they actually used Japanese actors instead...

Or at least ASIAN actors in the USA.

Sepherest wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Because it's targeted at Americans and Westerners, the main actors will be Westerners and most likely set in the West. And most likely won't be called Akira, obviously.

Just like Akira Kurosawa adapted Shakespeare's King Lear and used Japan and Japanese to create Ran. It's not hard to comprehend.

Putting it in this light I'm actually quite interested in what the movie will be like with a more western flair, especially since one of the last foreign film remakes (Let the Right One In/Let Me In) did quite well critically and even the author liked how the American version turned out.

I'm not too sure. When you translate a Foreign Film/TV Show and "localize" it, you lose the flavor of the media that is being translated. I can point to several "adaptations" of British TV Shows that got a crap "remake" stateside.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Justin Timberlake
Oh, jesus. Laughing
Quote:
Robert Pattinson
Dear lord. Laughing
Guardsman Bass wrote:
Personally, I think this project is awesome. Who cares if it's not set in "Neo-Tokyo"? It'll be an American film, largely made for American and international audiences.

Made by Japanese for Americans ™
Next thing we know they'll be hanging around McDonald's, and Tetsuo will be an annoying fat kid called George.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:08 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken: The only person I can imagine Phoenix fitting is one of Tetsuo's nutty cult followers. Laughing

enurtsol: I think the only reason they got away with The Lion King was that Tezuka apparently lost the rights to many of his anime properties when he had money problems. Would not happen with Akira, though, because Kodansha has a U.S. presence here. Also RE: Paprika/Inception, I can't help it when I'm relying on a shoddy link which looked legit.

Quote:
Oh please, Akira is old and passe now, and some fans even think it's overrated. There are no legions of fans, just us who remember when it was new.

I disagree. Did you see how many views that Akira-inspired Kanye video got alone?

Quote:
(BTW, "desperate for ideas that they'd take something that has a huge following with legions of fans" is something that the Japanese film industry does all the time. Death Note, anyone? Gantz? Space Battleship Yamato?)

Yeah, they got adaptations there, but they're not so culturally bankrupt as to rely on them, regardless of marketability, like H'wood.

Quote:
BTW, did you notice any fan backlash about it? No? See.

See what? That thing's had three different incarnations as an anime, so there's no attachment to a specific version like Akira.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:05 am Reply with quote
Alexis.Anagram wrote:

Or they could make a faithful adaption that manages to appeal to a wider audience in the same way that the source material captivated its own fan base. Was the original Akira really so bad that most Americans would hate it?

I never said that the original Akira was bad. It just probably wouldn't appeal to a wide audience. Making an adaptation set in Japan, with Japanese actors, would make a lot of people assume it's a foreign movie, and unfortunately the mainstream American movie-going public has a proven aversion to foreign movies, particularly if it's subtitled.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:18 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Quote:
Justin Timberlake
Oh, jesus. Laughing

Big Hed wrote:
Please cast Timberlake and Pattinson. Just the thought of how bad it would be is making me giddy.

I'm just curious: have any of you even seen a single movie Justin Timberlake was in, or are you just saying this because he's a pop star?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:40 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
I'm just curious: have any of you even seen a single movie Justin Timberlake was in, or are you just saying this because he's a pop star?

Agreeing with this. The guy's not bad, people, stop riding him just because his start came from a boy band...what, a decade and a half ago?

Also, does anyone else have the distinct feeling this is going to be Sony-Tristar's Godzilla all over again? That is to say, an adaptation that is so, so, so thinly related to the film it's adapting that it completely removes any recognizable element beyond the title and vague premise, willfully and actively ignores the core fanbase that made the movie noteworthy enough to adapt in the first place in exchange for legions of drooling morons viral marketing each other on their Facemytwitterbookspaces about all the rad product placement and the Fall Out Boy soundtrack, and removes any sense of intelligence or thematic significance the original film had in exchange for more car chases and things going boom?

And if so, why use the original title at all? Sony-Tristar's Godzilla I could understand (kind of), Godzilla's a big name that everyone--not just the core fanbase--will recognize. But Akira? Who, in this day and age, honestly would recognize that name outside of anime fans and animation enthusiasts? Very few. Hell, the number of people going to anime conventions that recognize it is rapidly dwindling on a yearly basis. They've already changed the location and the characters, and likely the plot as well, so why not just go all the way and change the title, too? I guarantee it won't affect ticket sales in any way with the way they're setting this thing up, and it could spare a whole lot of people a great deal of embarrassment all around. But, by now they've likely already paid for the rights and are now contractually bound to use the title, even though the final product is increasingly looking like it'll be 2011's equivalent of a 250-foot hermaphroditic Allosaurus with Jay Leno's chin and methane breath chasing Matthew Broderick in a taxi.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:45 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

The Social Network. I don't know much of his pop star side, to be frank. Not like it's relevant here anyway.

Nagisa wrote:
...what, a decade and a half ago?

Exactly. A decade and a half ago. Tetsuo is an annoying brat. If played by Justin he'll look like a man who didn't want to grow up and still acts like a brat.
Unless, of course, they're planning on changing Tetsuo's personality.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:08 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

Well his voice work in Yogi Bear and Shrek didn't exactly stand out if you ask me, and I wasn't particularly fond of him in The Social Network (although that film as a whole didn't really appeal to me, so my opinion on that performance may not be worth much).

But yeah, NSYNC--and his subsequent solo career--don't help either.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:14 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
As for FMA, it hasn't happened, but Summit's ripping it off, anyway. Rolling Eyes

Yep, everything that even vaguely or superficially resembles an anime series is clearly an uncredited rip-off. Uh-huh. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:14 am Reply with quote
Dagon123 wrote:
Let me know when the movie bombs like the last airbender so I can proudly wear my "I told you so" face
Except The Last Airbender didn't bomb, smart guy. Whether you like it or not, the movie did pretty damn well at the box office.

Anyway, as much as I love anime, I've never seen Akira. Looks like I know what's the next movie I'll be picking up. How's the blu-ray? Surprised
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6