• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Launches Shonen Jump Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laruto

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:00 am Reply with quote
I think the reason it's not huge right now is because a series like this needs to be stripped on a daily bases with new episodes everyday to keep kids interested; more like what CN did with Dragon Ball Z back in the day; They'd air 30 new episode straight and support the series with Advertising products. I think one piece can still be huge here in the states, And If I were 4Kids the way I'd do it is...
1. Boardcast new Episodes of one piece during Muguzi to continue through to the 4Kids TV airings.
Ex.
Muguzi.
Mon. New Episode.-36.
Tues. New Episode.-37.
Weds. New Episode.-38.
Thurs. New Episode.-39.
Fri. New Episode.-40.
4Kids TV.
Sat. New Episode.-41. Then it continues new episodes back on Muguzi again with 42.

2. Release uncuts within the Holiday Season. Advertise the releases on TV during the right time.

3. Release more Cards. Advertise those As well.

4. Release the First 2 Movies and Air them on Toonami and 4Kids TV.

5. Have a One piece Mall Tour and get the word out.

6. Toys.

7. Syndication.

8. Do more promotion on 4Kids TV with One Piece Sweepstakes.

9. More Promotion in general.

10. Release more Video Games for the holiday season.

If you stuff things in Kids faces they'll think the show is the show to watch and what I've learned from a great man who is in networking for Kids, he stated to me " whatever the big brothers and sisters find cool and hip the young kids will find them cool too and flock to it"
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:04 am Reply with quote
Aw too bad. I've already been watching the series downloaded off the net so I won't be willing to buy the Naruto DVD's. Looks like Harvard is gonna lecture me good.
ChichiriMuyo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Gee, Viz is getting their act together. Who knows, maybe there will be some Bleach in our future?

If you're comparing them to when they were releasing Maison Ikkoku then sure, they are getting their act together. It only took them what, a decade? By current standards, however, they are less reliable and organized than any of their competitors by a noticable amount.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Chichiri: Except for CMX, but that's not saying much.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:14 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
No, it's been reported before that the uncut dvd didn't even sell as well.

Um, what? According to Amazon.com, Yu-Gi-Oh uncut Volume 4 is currently outselling the most recent edited DVD by a landslide.

On the One Piece debate: Like Steve said, hacking up One Piece didn't really help matters. If anything it only made things worse by losing the pre-existing fanbase.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Laruto wrote:
I think the reason it's not huge right now is because a series like this needs to be stripped on a daily bases with new episodes everyday to keep kids interested; more like what CN did with Dragon Ball Z back in the day; They'd air 30 new episode straight and support the series with Advertising products. I think one piece can still be huge here in the states, And If I were 4Kids the way I'd do it is...
1. Boardcast new Episodes of one piece during Muguzi to continue through to the 4Kids TV airings.
Ex.
Muguzi.
Mon. New Episode.-36.
Tues. New Episode.-37.
Weds. New Episode.-38.
Thurs. New Episode.-39.
Fri. New Episode.-40.
4Kids TV.
Sat. New Episode.-41. Then it continues new episodes back on Muguzi again with 42.

While I whole-heartedly agree that One Piece would have done much better with a DBZ-like treatment (in fact, I was hoping that Funimation picked it up to give it a DBZ-like treatment, but with the higher refinement they've been giving series these days), your first suggestion would never work. Monday through Friday on Miguzi would be fine, but forcing people to watch two different networks to see all of the episodes is impractical. And what about those with basic cable? They'd only see one out of every six episodes. Every other suggestion you made seems like common sense, though, and it's puzzling why 4Kids hasn't realized that.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:30 pm Reply with quote
If I were in charge, it would have been on Toonami from the start. 4Kids TV isn't shown very much in the US.

I probably would have put it on Toonami an hour a night (assuming I'm in charge of scheduling here), and then stripped it on weekdays primetime after 26 episodes. New episodes on Saturdays, reruns on Mon-Thurs. The dub would have an accurate script, but with Japanese jokes and references removed. Light censorship, and original music (for the most part). Acceptable for kids.

TCG, video games, and DVDs in December. Video games and DVDs advertised on TV, TCG advertised through other means (promos in manga, DVDs, games, and mall tour crap).
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Another problem pertaining to One Piece is that it took it's time to get popular in Japan, so the large ammounts of merchandise (video games and crap like that) actually took time to accumulate. When it's bought over to the US, there's an impression of a "make it gold, right this instant", but the problem is a lot of merc requires people like Chopper and whatever else. What do you do? Well, cut a shitload of episodes out, and annoy the only people who would've watched such an obscure show in the first place.

I think 4Kids with Yugioh-GX learnt that 4kids.TV is a dying thing.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Steve: I think 4Kids was hoping that, since Jump was selling well, the One Piece anime would also be successful. (That's why it got re-titled Shonen Jump's One Piece.) But they probably never bothered to take surveys on fan favorites, because if they did, Viz wouldn't be the licensor for Naruto. I mean, seriously, you don't go from Pokemon to Yu Gi Oh to One Piece. That's the kind of logic that screwed up FUNimation when they went from DBZ to Yu Yu Hakusho to Detective Conan. And why 4-kids thought F-Zero would be a bigger hit than Viewtiful Joe is beyond me.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Which is exactly why 4Kids has the TV distributing rights to Viewtiful Joe.

Oops.

As the saying goes 4Kids may be dumb, but they're not stupid. They aren't doing what they're doing by throwing darts. Someone has told them this was a good idea, whether it be lawyers, shareholders, or kids in focus groups. Khan and friends obviously figured out that anything with the Shonen Jump label on it will sell like there's no tomorrow. SJ practically has an anime Trinity in Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach right now. Unfortunately for 4Kids, Viz and ShoPro mixed minds and the rest could mean a major windfall.

I warn all of you not to invoke Godwin's Law when responding to this post.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Actually, Geneon has distribution rights, and Kids WB is broadcasting it. 4Kids has nothing to do with Joe. And Naruto and even Bleach are significantly more popular than OP. It would've made sense for them to get Bleach after Shaman King, but 4Kids was probably hoping for another DBZ.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:37 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Actually, Geneon has distribution rights, and Kids WB is broadcasting it. 4Kids has nothing to do with Joe. And Naruto and even Bleach are significantly more popular than OP. It would've made sense for them to get Bleach after Shaman King, but 4Kids was probably hoping for another DBZ.

Although, both Naruto and Bleach focus on violence more than One Piece. I'm not saying One Piece isn't violent, but in One Piece, there seems to be more focus on an adventure rather than getting to the next guy to fight. But the longer arcs make room for more exploration between the eventual fighting. And from a purely visual standpoint, One Piece has a much brighter design than either Naruto or Bleach. It'd be much more suited as kids' marketing than Bleach, which I feel has a pretty brooding style.

Of course, a big problem I see is that there aren't any big series in Japan right now that could be big hits for children in America that hasn't been brought over already.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:12 pm Reply with quote
GoodLuck:
Quote:

Although, both Naruto and Bleach focus on violence more than One Piece. I'm not saying One Piece isn't violent, but in One Piece, there seems to be more focus on an adventure rather than getting to the next guy to fight.

Yeah, but that's not what kids want to watch on tv.

Quote:
And from a purely visual standpoint, One Piece has a much brighter design than either Naruto or Bleach.It'd be much more suited as kids' marketing than Bleach, which I feel has a pretty brooding style.

What do most of us remember enjoying growing up? Gargoyles and Batman: The Animated Series, or Bonkers and Freakazoid?
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I liked Gargoyles, Batman, AND Freakazoid. So there. Razz

Ah, those were the days when the WB actually made good shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4