• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds We Without Wings – Under the Innocent Sky

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, I don't know what FUNi was thinking when grabbing this series. Probably just trolling the fans.

Yet I'm sure that when Expo rolls around we'll be expecting some good show licensing news.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:34 pm Reply with quote
About time Funi is picking up more ecchi and it a good one to start out with I cant wait to pick it up to see it unedited
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Having just read the When They Cry thread, if FUNimation's worried about sales, I can't help but think they've just shot themselves in the foot with the WWW license.

Then again, I'm not expecting a second season from it, either.
scineram

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I really have no problem with this, however for an awesome ecchi title from this season I would rather go with Dororon Enma-kun MeraMeraMeraMeraMeraMeraMeraMeraMeraMeraMeraMeraMeraMeraMera.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:

According to an ANNCast with the Geneon rep a while back, anime series are rarely bought one at a time.

Most of the time, the Japanese companies will offer an "A-title" along with a few lesser "B and C-titles" to sweeten the deal.

It's basically haggling, "We'll give you This and we'll throw in That and Those for a little extra money".

Sometimes, those "extra" titles could end up being a surprise success and make up for the extra money. Sometimes not, and the english company won't face that big of a loss. It's bit of a gamble.

Rather like the way most cable channels work (i.e., to get the desirable channels, the cable or sat provider must also take their new or less desirable channels).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, there are several titles I would have put ahead of this one on my want list, but I'm not bummed out about it. I'm kind of liking it. Put me down as a "maybe, leaning towards probably" sale.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Shit on crapamation for licensing We Without Wings-I hope it crashes and burns for them.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:55 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
Shit on crapamation for licensing We Without Wings-I hope it crashes and burns for them.

Good, that's good. Real mature, just keep doing that.

Me on the other hand? No, I'm not going to buy this series.

Do I wish Funi liscensed something like Dennou Coil? Hell yes.

Am I going to wish death and failure on them for getting one and not the other?

Nope. Gonna go preorder Eden of the East Movie 2 instead.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I've seen We Without Wings (2 episodes), and I stop watching this. I don't know why Funimation picked this up for, I didn't understand what's going on in the show just endless nonsense fanservice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:50 pm Reply with quote
...hmm the live action movies are interesting but really we with out wings?? I gave it 5 episodes and just felt like it was a waste of time, although the game seems to be better thought out than the adaption but that's not saying much based on my personal biases however.

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JackCox

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I find it ridiculous that they announce this before a license of Deadman Wonderland, Wonderland is at least somewhat of a good show, this looks like garbage.
mudduck454

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:03 pm Reply with quote
well I could go on and rant and rave about how bad this show is, and how happy I am they licensed korewa zombie desuka,

but I am too distracted watching one of funi's new releases I got today in the mail. and that would be molesting the loli, opps, I mean dance in the vampire bund on blu-ray
zalas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Oops, just realized I posted on the press release by accident instead of here. The fanservice in this show is actually kind of related to the plot; I just feel they put *too much* in there; most of the time there's way more service than the original eroge. This is the same situation with SHUFFLE! The animated series has a ton more fan service thrown in, which I feel is just a cheap way to get more people to buy the DVDs. The story for We, Without Wings is actually really good; it's just that you don't realize what the heck is going on until after the halfway point of the show (around episode 7 or so). One thing I hope FUNi does is to rework the subtitle job. The Crunchyroll subs had a lot of issues, especially in the beginning episodes, where the translator had no clue what was going on (I guess he/she was confused by the show as well, although I think the confusion at the beginning actually makes it more interesting)
strike_zero00

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Not bad since Shuffle anime adaptation was decent and I bought the Shuffle DVDs, I'll also buy the We Without Wings anime in Bluray!
Somewhat off topic but Funi should license FSN UBW movie and try to get Fate/Zero anime simulcast streaming rights.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:30 pm Reply with quote
JackCox wrote:
I find it ridiculous that they announce this before a license of Deadman Wonderland, Wonderland is at least somewhat of a good show, this looks like garbage.

They're likely saving the bigger titles for AX. Or not, they could just be licensing more crap.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7