• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NISA Adds Nyaruko: Crawling With Love! Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:17 am Reply with quote
jet_ wrote:
Echo_City wrote:
NISA is the expensive restaurant that believes its entrees are so perfect that they don't even feel the need to bring condiments to the table.

No, that's Sentai Filmworks.

This man speaks the truth! *tears up*
Actar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:42 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
"When a joke is explained, it isn't funny". When a joke requires an entire website to explain it then it is just being conveyed incorrectly, there's no two ways about it.

Echo_City wrote:
When it comes to conveying Japanese humor, Is it better to convey a translation that is less accurate but is funny on its own or something that is more accurate but requires an entire website to explain to the viewer why he should be laughing at it?

A little sidetrack, but on the topic of jokes and translations, while I can see where you are coming from, I have have to disagree.

Personally, when watching an anime (especially subbed), I am fully cognizant of the fact that I'm viewing the show from an outsider's perspective (made more apparent by the Japanese dialogue) and no matter how good the translations are, I will never be able to enjoy it the same way as speakers of the native language do.

In the case of jokes, puns, idioms, sayings and wordplay, often, they are just replaced with an approximate English version or worse, something the translator has written. I want to know what joke the character used and not one that the translator has come up with. Explaining a joke would ruin it, sure. But again, I realize that I'm watching it from a foreigner's perspective and I'd rather understand the joke and be able to appreciate the humor in the original language than be lied to.

People have given the argument that the lack of localization would make the show far more esoteric and harder for people to enjoy. Okay, fine. But anyone notice a double standard here? Take a look at British shows. Do they change ‘torch’ to ‘flashlight’ or ‘car park’ to ‘parking lot’ or ‘bangers and mash’ to ‘sausages and mashed potatoes’? Nope. Yes, you could say that it’s still English, but people outside the UK get stumped by the terms, jokes, colloquialisms and cultural references all the same. Wanna enjoy them to the fullest? Tough luck, you gotta get yourself immersed in the culture.

Yet, when it comes to other languages, we feel the need to spoon-feed the viewer by transforming everything into something familiar and relatable. Not to mention, the practice of liking the foreign language or culture gets you vilified and treated as if you were a race traitor.

I don't disagree that viewers need assistance when it comes to understanding or getting accustomed to foreign terms or references. We have TL Notes for that and that's far more than what British shows give us.

In the end, I can understand that everyone watches anime for different reasons and translation styles can vary depending on the goal of the translator. But I though I'd share my views on the matter and say that not everyone who appreciates foreign cultures is a 'weaboo'.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Samo8412 wrote:
I'm not too fond of the translated title... "Crawling With Love!" sounds kind of scary.

That's the point. She's based on Nyarlathotep after all, and her catchphrase is "I'm the chaos that crawls up to you with a smile".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
ArmyOfDarkness wrote:
I think this is a great acquisition, I REALLY like that it's a straight BD release too! Finally beginning to see DVDs fade out into the past where they belong.
Yes, it's always classy to celebrate some people being locked out of a release because they don't see a Blu-Ray player as an affordable or worthwhile investment. And if DVDs really "belong in the past," why are they still playable on Blu-Ray players?

FeralMemories wrote:
Let me just inform you right now: Nyaruko-san is NOT a show that will work well with a dub. First of all, Miyazaki's films are heavily reliant on their animation and it's one of their selling points. Nyaruko-san is a comedy. A TON of it's jokes and references have the potential to be lost in translation. Even WITH the original sub, most people were lost on some of the jokes because it references some pretty obscure japanese things. There's a whole website that has detailed information on every single episode of Nyaruko-san pointing out what's a reference and where it came from.
That's what they said about Excel Saga, Pani Poni Dash, and other shows, and yet they managed to work with dubs. Of course, that was back in the days when Sentai was ADV and was willing/able to spend money on optional reference notes allowing people to have the jokes explained if they desired. It's not about some shows being mythically "undubbable"; it's a question of how much time, money, and effort a company is willing to sink into a project. It's just that in today's economic climate, companies aren't willing or able to undergo the same expenditures on difficult shows as in the past.

Actar wrote:
In the case of jokes, puns, idioms, sayings and wordplay, often, they are just replaced with an approximate English version or worse, something the translator has written. I want to know what joke the character used and not one that the translator has come up with.
Those rewrites and inventions do have to get approved by the anime creators, though. And often, I'd rather have something the localizers come up with instead of yet another worn-out Japanese joke like "futon ga futonda," "If apologies solved everything, we wouldn't need the police," or "Go to bed! Brush your teeth!" And if you know enough to realize that the translations are "lying" to you, then you probably understand the original jokes well enough without a literal explanation. It's like the honorifics thing; people who understand them in subs can probably hear them in the audio anyway, so why compromise comprehensibility and entertainment value for the rest of the audience?

Quote:
Wanna enjoy them to the fullest? Tough luck, you gotta get yourself immersed in the culture.
"You have to do external research to enjoy this product" is not exactly a great selling point.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
ReverseTitan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
@Actar My father, who is a translator for many different languages would disagree with you. You also don't seem to realize that direct translations more often than not are bad translations and do not make sense. A translation is supposed to carry across inflections, not necessarily what they literally said. The point of translation IS to approximate. Why you do not know this, is baffling to me. Also, nobody gives a shit about British shows. They don't even air in the States or Canada and are often remade in the States as nobody would get the humor. Funnily enough, a lot of Brits got butthurt after hearing about an American Top Gear, when they would not get the humor in that either. Razz
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll has a contest to win the set!
They are interviewing Tsuyoshi Nagasawa, Nyaruko's director. Ask a question for him on the forum. If your question is chosen, yo win NISA's set. Just thought all you Lovecraftian moe harem fans would like to know! Razz [/url]
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
ArmyOfDarkness wrote:
I think this is a great acquisition, I REALLY like that it's a straight BD release too! Finally beginning to see DVDs fade out into the past where they belong.
Yes, it's always classy to celebrate some people being locked out of a release because they don't see a Blu-Ray player as an affordable or worthwhile investment. And if DVDs really "belong in the past," why are they still playable on Blu-Ray players?

While I agree it’s not celebration worthy, at this point the lack of a BD player is more of a self imposed handicap then something that should be pitied. It was an investment choice for some to not purchase a BD player, this has resulted in them falling into a category that is no longer marketable. I do feel bad for those who can’t afford a BD player (god I’ve been there) but more and more we’ll see the cost of overhead and manufacturing leading to stand alone BD only releases.

But I do agree with your point, this isn't something to be celebrated (as with most marketing economic decisions).
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:43 pm Reply with quote
NiPah wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
ArmyOfDarkness wrote:

While I agree it’s not celebration worthy, at this point the lack of a BD player is more of a self imposed handicap then something that should be pitied. It was an investment choice for some to not purchase a BD player, this has resulted in them falling into a category that is no longer marketable. I do feel bad for those who can’t afford a BD player (god I’ve been there) but more and more we’ll see the cost of overhead and manufacturing leading to stand alone BD only releases.

But I do agree with your point, this isn't something to be celebrated (as with most marketing economic decisions).

Blu-Ray players are no longer an investment in price. I have seen them as low as $80 just last month. If you don't have a Blu-Ray player, it is not because of the price point. No one says you have to have one either, it is your choice. But if you can afford to buy a DVD player, then you can afford to buy a BD player.
rydia251

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Forget $80, how about this. I know, it's a piece of refurbished garbage, but just trying to make a point.

Buy a BD player if you are serious about disc releases, they are under $100. Buy a streaming box like Roku or AppleTV if you are serious about streaming, they are under $100.

Otherwise you are playing the game half-assed and deserve what you get. And yes I understand the issues imposed by economics, I have been there. There is always saving if necessary.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4