• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Fruit of Grisaia

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chipp12

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:32 am Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:
I'm sure it's gonna be rushed as hell. I think they might not spend all the rest 4 episodes for Amane route alone. Michiru got two, Yumiko got one (original), Sachi got one and Makina got two. My guess Amane will got two (or three at most) and the rest might be an original content just to wrap things nicely for the anime.

My thoughts exactly actually. I could easily see them doing 3 episodes for amane and then a anime original episode to work it all together.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:13 pm Reply with quote
ok, so let me explain this to you guys so you stop bitching about they not dedicating the anime to a single route. they actually did, they are following the true roue, yuuji's. So some of you who played the first visual novel might feel very knowledgeable and think of the original scenes of the anime as bastardized girls routes, the truth is that they HAD to change them in order to make them work with the overarching story of the trilogy. here is my explanation as someone who played the 3 VNs.

spoiler[In grisaia no kajitsu, there was no neutral or harem route, yuuji either dates one girl or the other, focusing only in her and ignoring the rest. however the second title (grisaia no menkyuu) continues the story telling us that yuuji helped all the girls and yet didn't date/have a romantic relationship with any of them (pretty much what this anime is doing). further in, the whole plot of grisaia no menkyuu is yuuji deciding to abanndon the academy to pursuit promotion in his organization, which as the first title players can tell directly conflicts with yumiko and makina's route (and ofcourse with the ending of every route) since they require yuuji to become an enemy of his company, therefore these changes they made in the anime could be considered canon, since every girls route is not, and menkyuu doesnt leave it very clear how yuuji managed to help every single one of them. of all the girls route amane's ending is the one who mixes better with the starting point of menkyuu, so it makes sense for them to leave it last, (since after the hunting incident jb appears telling yuuji how he must go some ranks up if he wishes to stay in the reserve). so the obejctive of this anime might aswell be to create the missing link between the first and second visual novel.

some bonus info. while kajitsu focus on the girls past and yuujis present, menkyuu focus on yuujis past and the girls present, then rakuen focus on moving into the future (with some badass action movie plot)]

[Mod Edit: If you have to point out this is your perspective as someone who may have seen more than others, then you should also know some of that information could be considered spoilers so please tag your post as such. - Keonyn]
Basroil

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:10 am Reply with quote
This "disaster" storyline flashback is really pissing me off because I cannot believe for a second this could actually happen, my suspension of disbelief is totally broken. A bus load of girls disappear and nobody is looking for them? In this modern industrialized nation people would be scouring the countryside. Look at what happens when one child disappears much less a whole bus full of girls.

Another thing is these girls do nothing to help people find them. I myself would have a raging smoky fire visible for miles. Someone would have to come investigate the raging wild fire I would start. I mean COME ON, damn!!!
shiranehito

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:48 am Reply with quote
Basroil wrote:
This "disaster" storyline flashback is really pissing me off because I cannot believe for a second this could actually happen, my suspension of disbelief is totally broken. A bus load of girls disappear and nobody is looking for them? In this modern industrialized nation people would be scouring the countryside. Look at what happens when one child disappears much less a whole bus full of girls.

Another thing is these girls do nothing to help people find them. I myself would have a raging smoky fire visible for miles. Someone would have to come investigate the raging wild fire I would start. I mean COME ON, damn!!!

I haven't seen this particular episode, but if I remember it right, in the VN they considered to do that (burning the forest) but for reasons they didn't (I kinda forget the whole conversation).

The forgotten disappearance probably because they were in training camp, and the parents maybe thought that it was running longer than expected. Plus the training was in a pretty secluded place with bad phone signal. And, even if they found it peculiar that the group hadn't returned, they had no idea where to look. It looked like the road where the bus jumped from had no safety fence, so the SAR team didn't know the exact place where the van first gone missing.

But, yeah... I find the whole thing a bit weird as well.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:49 am Reply with quote
That's a good point, and I think it hadn't struck me the same way because it's pretty much a staple of the survival genre in anime and manga at this point. This arc reminds me a lot of Keiko Suenobu's manga Limit, which actually does show the search going on in small flashes. And you're right - that really adds to the believability of the story. But plenty of others - Innocent W and Cage of Eden immediately come to mind - don't bother with that aspect, like this one doesn't. So I guess I'm used to it?
Clodus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:45 pm Reply with quote
great review over episode 12. I have to admit, the angelic howl arc is really frikken good. It really shows how deprave and twisted everybody becamespoiler[starvation, sickness, sacrifice, death, broken morals, primal instincts, desire, cannabalism, insanity, hope, martyr.]

The tension building up slowlyspoiler[Kazuki denying to eat the "deer meat", the president and the teacher sneaking out to the woods. And then most of all how Kazuki was saying, "we can't take demons with us". ]
So many things along with all their associated connotations have all accumulated together in a single episode.

I really hope episode 13 gives us the catharsis we're looking for.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:13 am Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:
Basroil wrote:

I haven't seen this particular episode, but if I remember it right, in the VN they considered to do that (burning the forest) but for reasons they didn't (I kinda forget the whole conversation).

They set the van on fire in the VN.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:59 am Reply with quote
Let me get this straight: spoiler[Kazuki knew how to get off the mountain to the point of being able to draw a map with instructions, but waited until they were literally eating each other to tell anyone? And given that she had saved food back for the trip,] maybe it wasn't just Amane's idealized imagination that Kazuki still looked so healthy...
shiranehito

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:36 am Reply with quote
@Ojamajo LimePie
I don't remember that, but maybe I'm just forgetful.

@Gina Szanboti
I can't read what's written in Kazuki's notes, but I think they're all just some vague instruction like, "if you are lost in a cave you should follow where's the water flowing to" etc. But honestly I don't know why did Kazuki wait so long to get away when she had everything planned out.

Amane's route is handled pretty well, in comparison to others. QUALITY is still here and there, but at least the story made an interesting emotional experience.
But I feel like the anime staffs would make a drastic change on the characters appearance as they're starved to death in a deep forest, I don't think their clothes should be so relatively clean and they still had their plump cheeks and beautiful hair. If I were a girl with long hair in such situation, I'd probably cut my hair, or at least set it to a more practical ponytail or bun.

The newly made ED video was a good one, with a lot of hints and symbolism. spoiler[Especially on the fruit. Maybe Pomegranate fruit being the symbol of Kazuki or Amane's heart. The first scene showed the fruit being cut open, and later drenched with blood, but the last scene showed the fruit being patched up.]

Also, Amane's route is not over yet.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:28 pm Reply with quote
That's a good theory, shiranehito. I've been toying with various interpretations of it too, and so far the best I can come up with is spoiler[that the pomegranate is somehow linked to the myth of Persephone/Proserpine, where it symbolizes her time in the underworld, while her mother mourns. So patching up the fruit could show that the mourning period is over and that Kazuki will return from what Amane and Yuuji assume to be the land of the dead, i.e. her own supposed death.]

And yeah, I would have braided my hair if I were stuck in the forest. Speaking as someone who once had it down to her hips, long hair can really get in the way.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Let me get this straight: spoiler[Kazuki knew how to get off the mountain to the point of being able to draw a map with instructions, but waited until they were literally eating each other to tell anyone? And given that she had saved food back for the trip,] maybe it wasn't just Amane's idealized imagination that Kazuki still looked so healthy...

remember at the begining when she said "we can get out of this forrest but the time is not right yet". we could interpret this on many different ways, maybe it was something climatological or geographical, like the costant days of rain would trigger a condition that would make the plan viable, or the temperature at night or bug population changing because of the change of season, or maybe she knew amane wouldnt tag alone if she felt she was leaving people behind, so she waited until amane recognized everyone else as enemies. or we could turn things around and think she wanted to dissapear and waited for a situation that would justify people not finding her body, she could have even planned the traffic accident as far as we know
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:44 am Reply with quote
None of those scenarios is making Kazuki look any better you know.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:03 pm Reply with quote
ANN's Episode 13 Review wrote:
He unfortunately remains pretty unlikable to the end, saving the girls without any real sense that he's emotionally invested in it, although his words would indicate that he is.

Actually, I think that the little smirk/smile Yuuji makes right before pulling the trigger is a bit peculiar, since I don't know if he knows he managed to save the girls and thus he's happy (in his own way of expressing that), glad to be using guns, an habit from the time before he came to the school or simply self-satisfaction that he can make the nearly-impossible shot.

Last edited by Hameyadea on Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
He unfortunately remains pretty unlikable to the end, saving the girls without any real sense that he's emotionally invested in it, although his words would indicate that he is.

it seems like reviewers lately have problems accepting the existence of an anime characters plainly being stoic as a personality trait. i mean, seriously not everyone can be going "dont you dare hurt my friends, you bastard" on villains, just like in real life there is people that just dont have it in them to suddenly feel a surge of emotion towards others, if anything it makes yuuji's character more believable as someone who grew up on military training and makes a living killing off people. his emotional attachment can be obseved through his actions: why would he not eat while michiru was on the coffin if it werent for empathy towards her? why would he shoot makina's mom four times when he is such a good shooter if it werent because of spite?

Hameyadea wrote:
Actually, I think that the little smirk/smile Yuuji makes right before pulling the trigger is a bit peculiar, since I don't know if he knows he managed to save the girls and thus he's happy (in his own way of expressing that), glad to be using guns, an habit from the time before he came to the school or simply self-satisfaction that he can make the nearly-impossible shot.

he knew he succeded, he was the one who told julia the shot was a succes and to make the special units enter the school
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5