• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Dubs Psycho-Pass 2, Laughing Under the Clouds Anime as They Air in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:05 am Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:
Wow that is fast but the dvd is going to take a while before it comes out

This won't affect the speed of home video releases, as that is dictated by pricing and release strategies, and unless Funimation changes their current way of doing full season sets @ low prices it'll take just as long as it currently does if not even longer in the future.

Actually, the main reason for such "late" physical releases of shows is because of the Japanese companies. They are scared shitless of reverse importation. Thus, they make companies on this coast wait for at lease 6 months after they finish releasing the show in Japan before they "allow" English companies to release them.

A lot of people assume that the reason for shows coming out so late after the Japanese release them is because they spend so much time dubbing them. Well that isn't the case (this article is proof enough of that) and almost always is the due to the Japanese companies involved slowing down the R1 releases as much as possible.
niastyle

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I am so excited about this. And perfect timing too, I was gonna start watching Laughing Under the Clouds this weekend. Good thing I already have a subscription. Razz
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Very cool stuff, having dubs of a show like a month after it airs in Japan. I don't even mind being 4 episodes behind in a show like PP2 just to hear it in dub
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:48 pm Reply with quote
This is epic news, though I still need to watch the first season of Psycho-pass lol.

Hopefully future popular anime will get simul-dubs too.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:40 pm Reply with quote
IanRootBeerDubber wrote:
The Funimation Broadcast Dubs strategy sounds rather great.

Naturally, I won't be surprised if High School DxD season 3 gets subjected to this.

I'm hoping that will be the case. Psycho Pass 2 makes a lot of sense as a test case, and I'm personally quite pleased since I liked season 1 a lot and wasn't looking forward to waiting. I would assume that subsequent seasons of successful shows are the primary candidates for this going forward.

This is really, really exciting to me since I prefer to watch in English anyway, so I pretty much never watched simulcasts. Considering that Funi has mentioned several times that they look at simulcast numbers for various things, I always felt like I was missing a chance to give some sort of feedback in regards to what types of shows I wanted to see.

Also, it is good that they are willing to take another crack at the dub for the home video version. Space Dandy was done well, but there is always the chance that the emphasis on being quick could cause problems, so making it known that they are willing to address problems is crucial. Of course, that doesn't mean they can totally rely on getting to redo it later since there is a good chance plenty of folks watching these shows won't have any idea that the home video version would contain corrections and might dismiss it as a poor dub.

Rinkwolf wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:

This won't affect the speed of home video releases, as that is dictated by pricing and release strategies, and unless Funimation changes their current way of doing full season sets @ low prices it'll take just as long as it currently does if not even longer in the future.

Actually, the main reason for such "late" physical releases of shows is because of the Japanese companies. They are scared shitless of reverse importation. Thus, they make companies on this coast wait for at lease 6 months after they finish releasing the show in Japan before they "allow" English companies to release them.

A lot of people assume that the reason for shows coming out so late after the Japanese release them is because they spend so much time dubbing them. Well that isn't the case (this article is proof enough of that) and almost always is the due to the Japanese companies involved slowing down the R1 releases as much as possible.

Quite right. Something like this won't make any difference as far as reverse importation is concerned. The biggest hurdle from the licenors that I can see is that some might not want to be tied into a situation where they have to have the materials ready to go on a consistently timely basis. The delay of an R1 physical product gave them some wiggle room that they might not have if they go along with this.
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Wonderful news. I hope this works out for them and we see more anime getting this treatment.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:02 am Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:

Why would it be longer? Depending on when the Japanese releases all their Blu-rays and how much time they ban Funi to release theirs, Funi could release theirs as soon as the ban date ends since the difficult part has already been done.

If anything, this should allow no excuse for a delay of Funi BDs beyond the ban date (e.g. they'd have extra weeks to proof-check their BDs). And isn't that what everybody wants - that localizers finish their affairs faster?

gravediggernalk wrote:

I see one major upside to this venture that hasn't been mentioned: Fan-feedback on the voice-acting before the final version. Regardless of how many forum posts try to devalue chibi-ADVs', FUNimation's, VIZ's, etc. . . dub work, most of it is actually pretty solid. That being said, there are times when some actor/actress choices or translation choices are not the best (or any good at all); This project could open the door for changing things up for the final version based on feedback, assuming it has some basis, given while it was airing.

They could also make changes if what they thought was a correct translation in an earlier ep turns out to be incorrect that's revealed in a later ep.

dtm42 wrote:

I've been advocating simuldubs for years. I expect that one day most of the shows in a season will get English dubs either simultaneously or within a week of the Japanese broadcast.

That'd depend on how many dubbing studios and personnel are available by then. There's only so many hours in a day and so many people to coordinate for work.

dtm42 wrote:

TsukasaElkKite wrote:
How are they able to get an episode dubbed in A WEEK?

Uh, what? You do realise that the Japanese have no trouble dubbing an episode inside a week, right? So why - with modern e-mail, skype and so on - should it be any different for dubs in English?

There's a little bit of extra work like translating and adapting to natural English lip-flaps. And they're at the mercy how prompt the Japanese in providing the necessary materials, especially if there's last-minute changes and adlibs. Japanese side makes corrections too.

Greed1914 wrote:

I'm hoping that will be the case. Psycho Pass 2 makes a lot of sense as a test case, and I'm personally quite pleased since I liked season 1 a lot and wasn't looking forward to waiting. I would assume that subsequent seasons of successful shows are the primary candidates for this going forward.

That, plus since they'd already been dubbing Season 1, they'd hit Season 2 in stride (instead of starting from scratch - makes for smoother logistics).
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:15 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
That'd depend on how many dubbing studios and personnel are available by then. There's only so many hours in a day and so many people to coordinate for work.

True, but I don't see why that would be an issue say ten years from now. Obviously the resources to dub most of a season's shows don't exist right now, but that doesn't mean they can't exist in the future.

dtm42 wrote:
There's a little bit of extra work like translating and adapting to natural English lip-flaps. And they're at the mercy how prompt the Japanese in providing the necessary materials, especially if there's last-minute changes and adlibs. Japanese side makes corrections too.

Last minute corrections and withholding of materials are definitely problems which require extremely closet co-operation to overcome, but the lip flaps are not an issue at all. Almost no television anime has the lip flaps match the Japanese dialogue anyway, so matching voices to pre-made lip flaps is something that seiyuu have to grapple with just as much as foreign VAs.

As for translating, it doesn't take that long to translate an episode; just a few hours for your typical three-hundred-line script. It'd be even faster should the translator have access to the official script (which they presumably would).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:47 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Last minute corrections and withholding of materials are definitely problems which require extremely closet co-operation to overcome, but the lip flaps are not an issue at all. Almost no television anime has the lip flaps match the Japanese dialogue anyway, so matching voices to pre-made lip flaps is something that seiyuu have to grapple with just as much as foreign VAs.

As for translating, it doesn't take that long to translate an episode; just a few hours for your typical three-hundred-line script. It'd be even faster should the translator have access to the official script (which they presumably would).

That's not what I meant by translating then adapting to lip flaps. For instance, I may translate something into a 10-syllable phrase, but there are only 5 lip-flaps. So then I'd have to adapt that translation into 5 lip-flaps of natural English. Do that for all the lines that need it and timing issues. So translation is just one step; adapting to the video is another. Do the same for last-minute changes on the Japanese side. So it takes a bit more time.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:31 am Reply with quote
infamoustakai wrote:
A new era of anime has begun. This is beyond incredible. Funimation is just killing it.

I'm really hoping they start doing this with Fairy Tail and that they eventually catch up with it. That would be incredibly awesome.

This makes me glad that I've been subscribing to the EVS for the past few months.

That would be awesome if they did it for Fairy Tail, I'm really enjoying it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4