• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Adds Madoka Magica, Blue Exorcist on Home Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animerican14

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:57 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
I'm a little disappointed, given that I am not really a fan of "magical girl" shows (I think Princess Tutu and Utena are the only ones in my collection. That is, if those two shows can truly be called "magical girl" shows).

Huh, it's interesting that you say that, because if you've seen the series beond the first 2 or 3 episodes, then you probably wouldn't consider Madoka Magica a "magical girl show" either Smile. User Veers isn't into magical girls shows himself, with only Princes Tutu and Madoka Magica strongly[/i] appealing to him. I think he used an analogy that showed that if he were escaping from a sinking ship whose passengers were the personification of every magical girl show ever made, and had room for only two more in his lifeboat, he would take Princess Tutu and Madoka Magica.

[Having gotten into Princess Tutu via Hulu and just finished episode 6, I think I can agree with him as well.)

Last edited by Animerican14 on Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
aquaofthewater

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Definitely holding off until they release Madoka on Blu-Ray.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Blue Exorcist, it would have been a shame if no one got that. It's a shonen show that actually feels refreshing to me; first one I liked in quite a while.

And, glad for the fans, but I personally don't care for Madoka Nanoha Razz
broken-serenity

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Think i'll wait and see if these shows get a UK licence since at least in the UK the anime companies understand singles are a dead format for anime releases and that overcharging for shows means nobody buys it till theres a sale...wonder who will grab the licences in the UK tho?
Jaymie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Standard "no dub, no buy" here. I'll probably end up picking up Madoka Magica though just because it's Madoka Magica.

Disappointed that Viz or FUNi didn't pick up Blue Exorcist.
Mirri

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
I was like "Yay Madoka!"

Then I saw "Aniplex"

Now I'm sad.

Aniplex is the publisher in Japan, and more and more often nowadays they are releasing their especially popular titles via their Aniplex USA brand rather licensing to other distributors.

I really don't understand why everyone thinks that Aniplex's prices are such a ripoff. Everyone was willing to pay those prices 7 years ago. Just because the market has changed doesn't mean those prices are suddenly some sort of vendetta against consumers... If you can't pay, don't buy them. If you won't pay, well, complaining is not going to make Aniplex change their pricing scheme... Their pricing is at just the right point where they can make the most money, low enough that just the enthusiastic fans who will pay those prices will all buy it, high enough for them to make money. It's a bell curve of profit, and they're at the center.

Anime makes the money off disc sales. The television airings are essentially commercials for the disc sales. American television makes its money from advertisers and the home disc sales are just gravy. I'm not sure about non-anime Japanese movies, but niche movies like Garden of Sinners and Theatrical Feature Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works are released in an extremely limited number of theatres just so they can be labelled as theatrical features/movies, they again make the majority of their money from disc sales. American movies, money at the theatres, home discs gravy. There are exceptions to this, sleeper movies like "Waiting..." that were so popular in disc sales (in that particular case in Australia) even with their bad theatre ticket sales that there's a direct-to-disc sequel.

The American distribution pricing isn't suddenly going to conform to the American television level because it's a U.S. release- there's no advertisement money for the home discs to be "subsidized" as it were.

Buy what you want, but I do not expect Aniplex USA to change their pricing scheme any time soon. They are based off a Japanese company, after all, and they're notorious for sticking to their ways even if the industry is changing. CD albums still cost like $30 US there!

Last edited by Mirri on Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
jopchan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm Double dipping on Madoka(Yes,I've been buying the Japanese BDs.). Remember, it could have been worse (See: Bandai Visual USA). Aniplex has been far more successful than BVU and Toei, high prices or not. (They did sell out of the Garden of Sinners BD box, after all)
Rukiia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Snagging both titles for sure! Very happy about BE and being able to finally see Madoka legally.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Etrien

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Looks like I'll be importing the English version of Madoka on principle, then! Even with all the hype, I admit there was a part of me that was skeptical about it getting a US release.

tuxedocat wrote:
I'm a little disappointed, given that I am not really a fan of "magical girl" shows (I think Princess Tutu and Utena are the only ones in my collection. That is, if those two shows can truly be called "magical girl" shows)

This makes me curious if you've tried the show or not (your post didn't really imply either way). Tutu, Utena, and Madoka pretty much round out the trifecta of "magical girl" shows that have captivated the non-magical girl fans. Though with Madoka, like so many shows, you really do need to see at least 3 or 4 episodes to give it a fair shot, the beginning is a tad deceptive.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Etrien wrote:
Looks like I'll be importing the English version of Madoka on principle, then! Even with all the hype, I admit there was a part of me that was skeptical about it getting a US release.

tuxedocat wrote:
I'm a little disappointed, given that I am not really a fan of "magical girl" shows (I think Princess Tutu and Utena are the only ones in my collection. That is, if those two shows can truly be called "magical girl" shows)

This makes me curious if you've tried the show or not (your post didn't really imply either way). Tutu, Utena, and Madoka pretty much round out the trifecta of "magical girl" shows that have captivated the non-magical girl fans. Though with Madoka, like so many shows, you really do need to see at least 3 or 4 episodes to give it a fair shot, the beginning is a tad deceptive.

No, I haven't seen the show, though I would like to. If Aniplex gives me a way to legally stream it (a privilege I would even pay for), I would definitely check it out.

I loved Princess Tutu. If this show is what you guys say its is, I might really like it. Still, Aniplex pricing structure makes me have to plan the purchase, so if they do it like Garden of Sinners, I'll probably have to make do with purchasing the stream off the Playstation network after the DVDs are sold out.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:30 pm Reply with quote
tenebrusmke79 wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
Anime Remix wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Uh oh guys, this Blue Exorcist show seems like it might have some mainstream appeal. We better nip that in the bud by releasing it across four individual DVDs!
I wonder how many episodes will be on the DVDs... Confused

I'd guess 7/6/6/6. That seems like a tight fit and a little odd for a Japanese company to cram so many episodes on a DVD and risk poor video quality. I liked Blue Excorcist, but I'll just keep with the Premium video being offered here on ANN. A dub could change that, though.
Unfortunately, a dub won't happen for Blue Exorcist. Aniplex said that they're releasing the series subtitle-only.

Ah yes. No dub. Because apparently, not only does Aniplex view mainstream appeal as a bad thing, they believe it to be an evil, infectious disease that must be sterilized by any means necessary.

And this folks, is why we have R1 companies. The Japanese companies don't know shit about how to sell anime in North America.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:32 pm Reply with quote
No Dub no buy. I STILL don't understand why Madoka is so popular....... If it gets a dub and a Blu-ray then I might buy and if its good YAY! if it sucks I will loose faith in the Anime community for making sure a big deal over nothing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
khadijah1415

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Man ~please put on TV~ Sorta like what they do with Bleach or Durarara!! after a while they put it on TV, not a huge fan of dubs but Ao no Exorcist is awesome!
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I guess this means Blue Exorcist won't have an english dub..that's a real let down..I'm not a fan of Aniplex and their ridiculous methods.

Last edited by iamthevastuniverse on Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Mirri wrote:

Aniplex is the publisher in Japan, and more and more often nowadays they are releasing their especially popular titles via their Aniplex USA brand rather licensing to other distributors.

I really don't understand why everyone thinks that Aniplex's prices are such a ripoff. Everyone was willing to pay those prices 7 years ago. Just because the market has changed doesn't mean those prices are suddenly some sort of vendetta against consumers... If you can't pay, don't buy them. If you won't pay, well, complaining is not going to make Aniplex change their pricing scheme... Their pricing is at just the right point where they can make the most money, low enough that just the enthusiastic fans who will pay those prices will all buy it, high enough for them to make money. It's a bell curve of profit, and they're at the center.

Anime makes the money off disc sales. The television airings are essentially commercials for the disc sales. American television makes its money from advertisers and the home disc sales are just gravy. I'm not sure about non-anime Japanese movies, but niche movies like Garden of Sinners and Theatrical Feature Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works are released in an extremely limited number of theatres just so they can be labelled as theatrical features/movies, they again make the majority of their money from disc sales. American movies, money at the theatres, home discs gravy. There are exceptions to this, sleeper movies like "Waiting..." that were so popular in disc sales (in that particular case in Australia) even with their bad theatre ticket sales that there's a direct-to-disc sequel.

The American distribution pricing isn't suddenly going to conform to the American television level because it's a U.S. release- there's no advertisement money for the home discs to be "subsidized" as it were.

Buy what you want, but I do not expect Aniplex USA to change their pricing scheme any time soon. They are based off a Japanese company, after all, and they're notorious for sticking to their ways even if the industry is changing. CD albums still cost like $30 US there!

Yes we paid those prices 7 years ago, but then again that was SEVEN YEARS ago. The problem here is that you are taking out part of the fan base who cannot afford to pay those prices for their sets. Yes I know those who cannot afford it are not going to buy it, but at least make a reasonable price that I don't have to take a loan out, or not eat for a few days to be able to afford it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9