• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans Discuss Which Anime Both Positively & Negatively Affected Their Lives

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ukoku

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I would say that Bakuretsu Hunter seriously affected my sexuality.....but saying that out loud makes it sound like I'm implying something way more scandelous than I intended....
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Fairy Tail also helped me out. My brother was in a coma from a disease that the doctors weren't sure how to handle, and I had to take the bar exam, so I just needed something that was relentlessly optimistic.
jppcouto wrote:
Dude, i can understand what are you saying and hope your brother is okay now, but Fairy Tail isn't positive neither negative, because the series only show that FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC AND IT WINS EVERYTIME and you can't feel that there is real problems in that show.

However, I'm glad that something give u strenght in that part of your life.
infamoustakai wrote:
[...]

I think it's pretty inappropriate to complain about your problems with Fairy Tail when this is a thread about personal feelings each individual has to a specific anime. Especially if that anime helped the person during a difficult time through their lives.

Well, Fairy Tail haters were never classy to begin with.

infamoustakai--
With no disrespect intended, may I ask what it is, exactly, that you are talking about? The sentences that that I highlighted are contradictory.
Karasu-Lacryma

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Kino's Journey. Truly made me learn to count my blessings, and learn to find the good even in the horrifying.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:35 pm Reply with quote
When I was 20, I went through a major breakdown related to my anxiety disorder. (Nobody still knows to this day what caused the disorder; it was just one day in my middle school era I woke up with it.) I normally just treated it with medication but one night nothing worked. It got so bad that I couldn't eat from Friday night to Sunday afternoon. Fruits Basket somehow managed to cure me though! Perhaps because it was so soothing (particularly the opening). All I remember is putting the DVD on and deciding to make toast after a few episodes and I was finally able to nibble it. I was fine after that!

If I'm really depressed or angry about something, putting on a light-hearted anime has always improved my mood.

Full Moon Wo Sagashite has inspired me on a level no other series has quite been able to do. It turned me into a huge romantic, an optimist, and a dreamer. It made me want to create deeper characters and really touching themes in my own amateurish works. I hope I can create something almost as beautiful someday that may inspire others.
Zhaku

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:01 pm Reply with quote
While I could say One Piece was one of the bigger anime influences in my life, I have a soft spot for the entire Natsume series. Everytime I would feel stressed or overwhelmed I would just pop in an episode and relax.
Black_Kendoka

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:58 pm Reply with quote
There were several ways that anime helped me/hurt me in life:

Getting into anime when I was a kid got me into learning more about the Japanese culture and language. I wanted to be able to better understand the material I was watching and playing (since I was playing several games on emulator at the time), so when I was in high school, the copious amounts of free time I had from not hanging out with anyone allowed me to soak up Japanese language materials to get me on my way to reading and writing the stuff. Fast forward to today, I've been involved with Kendo and Iaido for over a decade, and learning the language has helped me get a better understanding of the techniques and concepts that we learn about through practice. I can pick up anime, manga and video games and at least be able to get the gist of what's going on. And while I'm FAR from fluent, I know enough of the language to say stuff to the Japanese people I tend to be around if they don't have a big grasp of English.

By the time I watched Golden Boy, I was several years out of college with a stable career and home life. I was content with what was going on, but in the back of my mind, I knew I could do better but I was also scared of taking too many risks that could up-heave my lifestyle. Watching a show about a kid who drops out of college after studying all the material he needed to learn in his major to ride his bike across Japan and learn what he wanted to do with his life convinced me to just put my foot down and take those calculated risks to improve my lifestyle.

Unfortunately, there was a time at work where I had a really tough project where deadlines were looming and nothing was working out and my stress was only increasing by the day. It was bad enough to increase my drinking so the emotional pain would go away, even though that relief was VERY temporary. At the same time, I was watching "Now And Then, Here And There," which, for those of you that have seen the series, isn't the best show to watch if you're in a tough spot. I had to stop watching for a few months until things calmed down and move on to happier stuff that would help me survive the ordeal.
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm reading some deep stuff.

I'm not really sure...if I can relate to any of this, even after suffering depression or being bullied. As for my side of the discussion, maybe I don't remember. It has to be a video game...it has to be.

Of course, there are many "never give up' shounen that would aspire a human to reach a goal. But it just seems so immature to me. Even if it's someone like Goku. I just like a guy who can make you laugh and help bring peace to the world, and there's just a lot of characters who are like that.

For some reason, my mind is leaning towards Kaze Tachi Nu (The Wind Rises)
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:51 am Reply with quote
CLAMP manga, for sure. A lot of manga and anime moves me and affects me because I'm quite the sponge, but CLAMP led me to my dreams and my current life simply by existing. And it wasn't just their manga that fascinated me. It's that the works of theirs I adored were conceived without them having gone to manga school or having any professional instruction. They learned by themselves and made it on style and general self-empowered skill-learning alone. And while it's certainly hard to compare their storytelling and ideologies to those found in other manga with a more solid reasoning and basis behind their plots and characters, the pure freedom and spiritual conception with self-enclosed logic just fascinates me and is a huge inspiration for my wild imagination.
Becki_Kurosaki

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 11:09 am Reply with quote
I actually got into anime a lot earlier than most people here I think. Around age 5 or so I discovered a little anime called Sailor Moon. I was completely hooked, and kind of saw the Sailor Senshi as role models (or "Sailor Scouts" since I was watching the dub due to it being the only way to see the show at all back then).

It was also around this time I decided I wanted to learn to draw, so a lot of my early art was Sailor Moon, and then Pokemon and Digimon when those came out here. That was around the time I learned these shows were from Japan, so I wanted to get my hands on anything anime-related that I could find, and also learn more about Japan in general.

When I was 11, a friend introduced me to subtitled anime and also manga. The main things she showed me were from CLAMP, particularly Magic Knight Rayearth. That was when I think I decided I wanted to make my own comics some day, a goal I still hold today.

Yu Yu Hakusho was another big one for me. I got into it in middle school, which was a hard time for me because most of the students bullied me. There was an online forum for Yu Yu Hakusho fans where I made friends (including one I still talk to and even met in person a few years ago).

In high school I was reading Chrono Crusade one day, and a girl in my class said she also loved that series. I started hanging out with her and some of her friends and they've been some of my best friends ever since. Anime theme songs also got me into Japanese rock music around this time, which led to my other big passion, the band X Japan!

I didn't mean for this to turn into a mini-autobiography but clearly anime/manga has had a huge influence on my life, and it still does.
infamoustakai

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 4:21 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
Fairy Tail also helped me out. My brother was in a coma from a disease that the doctors weren't sure how to handle, and I had to take the bar exam, so I just needed something that was relentlessly optimistic.
jppcouto wrote:
Dude, i can understand what are you saying and hope your brother is okay now, but Fairy Tail isn't positive neither negative, because the series only show that FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC AND IT WINS EVERYTIME and you can't feel that there is real problems in that show.

However, I'm glad that something give u strenght in that part of your life.
infamoustakai wrote:
[...]

I think it's pretty inappropriate to complain about your problems with Fairy Tail when this is a thread about personal feelings each individual has to a specific anime. Especially if that anime helped the person during a difficult time through their lives.

Well, Fairy Tail haters were never classy to begin with.

infamoustakai--
With no disrespect intended, may I ask what it is, exactly, that you are talking about? The sentences that that I highlighted are contradictory.

It appears you've missed my point. Jppcouto is complaining about what makes Fairy Tail "bad". Well, whatever he thinks, the point is both irrelevant and off topic. This thread is dedicated to those who share their own personal feelings about certain anime and how they've positively effected their lives. He shouldn't be correcting anyone about how they feel about a certain show. It's just plain rude.

Hopefully this clears up any confusion.
CodeAlpha

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 12:48 am Reply with quote
I searched through all of these comments and can't believe I didn't see this one...

Gurren Lagann had a HUGE impact on who I am. As someone who suffers through severe anxiety problems and panic disorder, but is in a job that involves a lot of public speaking and has to make million dollar decisions... I use Kamina as my idol and inspiration anytime I start to think to myself that I just can't do it.

Kamina tells Simon, "Believe in the you who believes in yourself." I thought about that statement for so long after watching the show.

The advice seems ridiculous when you first read it, but when you dissect it, it makes perfect sense. He's telling Simon that sometimes you feel like, overall, you can't do it... But somewhere, deep inside, there is always a part of you who knows you can. And you just have to rely on that part of you who knows you can to rise to the occasion and pull you through.

Quote:
By the time I watched Golden Boy, I was several years out of college with a stable career and home life. I was content with what was going on, but in the back of my mind, I knew I could do better but I was also scared of taking too many risks that could up-heave my lifestyle. Watching a show about a kid who drops out of college after studying all the material he needed to learn in his major to ride his bike across Japan and learn what he wanted to do with his life convinced me to just put my foot down and take those calculated risks to improve my lifestyle.

I had a similar experience with Golden Boy too. I finished watching it about a year after college, and suddenly I started researching home repair... fixed up my house with some friends... sold it... and moved 3,000 miles away from home. And I thought about Kintaro daily, and how sometimes you just have to go for it and learn new things and experience something new. The character was a huge influence.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4