• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - A Low-Down Dirty Pair

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:30 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
That screenshot was from an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation, which also referenced The Dirty Pair. Note the "Kei" and "Yuri".

Oops, silly me! Embarassed Even with "Starfleet" written right there, I got confused, because I totally wouldn't put such a reference beyond a Dirty Pair work.

Anyway, I now totally think it's Honneamise!
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:49 am Reply with quote
I don't know how anyone else would feel about it but I think it would be interesting to an American version of "Dirty Pair." It would be fascinating to see how it would be done.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I don't know how anyone else would feel about it but I think it would be interesting to an American version of "Dirty Pair." It would be fascinating to see how it would be done.

I've always described Dirty Pair to first-time anime newbies as "Totally Spies, with bigger guns."
(Except, of course, that they're a squabbling, boy-distracted, not-always-on-target Dirty Trio.)

There, that should make you happy. Wink
GDMaid Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:05 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Snomaster1 wrote:

I've always described Dirty Pair to first-time anime newbies as "Totally Spies, with bigger guns."
(Except, of course, that they're a squabbling, boy-distracted, not-always-on-target Dirty Trio.)

There, that should make you happy. Wink

But that's French. Smile
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:42 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:

but I enjoy the DP TV series a lot too. Gotta keep a finger on the freeze-frame button for all those references on the video screens and control panels.

Zump

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I've recently been revisiting Dirty Pair (TV and movies, specifically) and I'm amazed at how well they hold up despite their dated sensibilities. Project Eden in particular has some fantastic animation. I'm also quite surprised by the gender politics of the show. Even though akemi and Yuri are flirtatious and dress in skimpy outfits, they're very assertive characters who genuinely kick butt. And I was quite surprised by the episode featuring the transsexual was not portrayed in a stereotypical manner. And the super-intelligent mice episode was another standout. What an ending!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4