• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fate/Extra Game Gets TV Anime in 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:50 am Reply with quote
The game is horrible, I would prefer VN game than stupid Rock Paper Scissor. The anime adaptation is well welcome for me since I dont bother anymore with game( I think I only done like 10% of overall game) Confused
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:42 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
SHAFT doesn't do any actual "writing", they are an animation studio. And, in this particular case, Kinoko Nasu is script writing, so the writing will be about on par with the rest of the Fate stuff he's written, I'd imagine.

Not necessarily. If he is writing the script based on the game, it is going to be far below the rest of his Fate stuff.

Hikarunu wrote:
The game is horrible, I would prefer VN game than stupid Rock Paper Scissor. The anime adaptation is well welcome for me since I dont bother anymore with game( I think I only done like 10% of overall game) Confused

I finished it, and you're not missing much. Pretty much the exact same cycle of collect clues, go into the digital game thing to grind xp with rock paper scissors (usually a clue or two tied to that), and fighting a servant in the school tournament battle.

What it mentions of the world is kind of interesting, but it doesn't go into that nearly enough throughout the story and you can't ever leave the school so... It isn't the worst story ever. It is just that there is very little of it hidden behind a crap ton of rock paper scissors and clue finding trash. If you were maybe half done, it might be worth finishing, but I can't honestly say the little story there that is there is worth it.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:06 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
SHAFT doesn't do any actual "writing", they are an animation studio. And, in this particular case, Kinoko Nasu is script writing, so the writing will be about on par with the rest of the Fate stuff he's written, I'd imagine.

Not necessarily. If he is writing the script based on the game, it is going to be far below the rest of his Fate stuff.

Well, what I meant by that is, it will be at the level that "he" is capable of(similar in style and tone, etc), rather than anything being SHAFT's fault. I've never played the game, and don't even know who wrote the scenario, all I know is that Nasu has a very particular writing style and that will largely be reflected in this if he does the series composition.
Kuro shinigami

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:15 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
Kuro shinigami wrote:
He didn't write the anime he wrote the visual novel, the only anime original scenes he wrote were for illya and the epilogue (which was a butchered script of what he wrote). Also the rest of the anime original content was something the director of the adaptation put into the anime.

Actually, that's not correct. He wrote (or at least, came up with) ALL of the new scenes for the anime.
yeah I almost forgot (was tired when I wrote that), he came up with the idea and basic aspects of some of them. But it wasn't all of them, looking at some of the stuff nasu said on his blog he only wrote for the episodes the director asked him to (like some of the anime original content for illya and the epilogue). And checking some interviews as well he would go to the director to ask to make some changes to the anime, but to my knowledge it was only episode 3 and 4 illya and came up with the idea for the original content in episode 17 and 23 but didn't write it. Episodes 20, 21,22 and 24 are perfect examples of nasu having no involvement on the writing, as those were the directors terrible decisions. Because nasu would have written original content if he knew or asked the director to make some alterations. But those episodes were the directors decisions to change and cut the content that was already good, and making making up stuff like shirou jumping hight in the air or aias surf boarding, also episode 20 and 21 where they could have easily done a good job adapting that fight but instead butchered it by constantly making the fight repetitive instead of focusing on the important content.

Last edited by Kuro shinigami on Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Player_91

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Gilarack wrote:
It's weird. I get the impression from the Fate community that whenever an adaptation turns out to be flawed it's always the the studios fault or the directors or that of the adaptive screenwriters but never Nasu himself! He always seems to get a free pass. Maybe... just maaaybe the original VN is not as perfect as everyone always says?

And before you ask, yes I have read it. Not all of it, but a lot. And from what I have read it has the same problems as the UBW Anime: repeating information over and OVER again and some of the worst pacing I had ever experienced in a VN and in that genre that's saying something. Sometimes I wonder how anyone managed to read all of this without going insane!

Yes the franchise has some great ideas and concepts but apart from Zero I am still waiting for a version that fully realizes them in a way that doesn't disappoint me. Maybe the Heavens Feel Movies, maybe this new show. I remain hopeful.

Sigh... I probably shouldn't have written all that stuff. It will probably anger a lot of people. Anime smile + sweatdrop I'm sorry if I annoyed you with my "secondary" drivel. Laughing

This is funny because F/Z had the same " pacing problem" you complained so much about

And yeah the VN has some pacing problems I won't deny, especially with HF and Fate, UBW is fine there though. In any case Fate gets hectic by day 9 and HF has the best twists and moments in the entire game so these offset the pacing problems
Zoro-1992

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Gilarack wrote:
It's weird. I get the impression from the Fate community that whenever an adaptation turns out to be flawed it's always the the studios fault or the directors or that of the adaptive screenwriters but never Nasu himself! He always seems to get a free pass. Maybe... just maaaybe the original VN is not as perfect as everyone always says?

And before you ask, yes I have read it. Not all of it, but a lot. And from what I have read it has the same problems as the UBW Anime: repeating information over and OVER again and some of the worst pacing I had ever experienced in a VN and in that genre that's saying something. Sometimes I wonder how anyone managed to read all of this without going insane!

Yes the franchise has some great ideas and concepts but apart from Zero I am still waiting for a version that fully realizes them in a way that doesn't disappoint me. Maybe the Heavens Feel Movies, maybe this new show. I remain hopeful.

Sigh... I probably shouldn't have written all that stuff. It will probably anger a lot of people. Anime smile + sweatdrop I'm sorry if I annoyed you with my "secondary" drivel. Laughing

What? No, Miura is just a bad director. Even before the UBW adaptation he butchered the 6th Kara no Kyoukai film, so it wasn't all that surprising when his TV debut went horribly. Other than that we only have the DEEN stuff, which is.. yeah.
Player_91

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:23 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
Kuro shinigami wrote:
He didn't write the anime he wrote the visual novel, the only anime original scenes he wrote were for illya and the epilogue (which was a butchered script of what he wrote). Also the rest of the anime original content was something the director of the adaptation put into the anime.

Actually, that's not correct. He wrote (or at least, came up with) ALL of the new scenes for the anime.

Nah, he came up with some of decisions but Miura (the director) had the final say in how to adapt the scenes
Player_91

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Zoro-1992 wrote:
Gilarack wrote:

What? No, Miura is just a bad director. Even before the UBW adaptation he butchered the 6th Kara no Kyoukai film, so it wasn't all that surprising when his TV debut went horribly. Other than that we only have the DEEN stuff, which is.. yeah.

UBW wasn't perfect but it isn't nearly as bad as some people make it out to be nowadays and tbh nor does DEEN, I mean, yes the animation didn't age well but it still has that godly OST to make up for it at least
kotelo_

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:

...what?

Why would they put the goddamn rpg game mechanic into the anime?
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:14 pm Reply with quote
kotelo_ wrote:
...what?

Why would they put the goddamn rpg game mechanic into the anime?

... well they obviously wouldn't which is probably why he said the anime would be welcome.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, I'm really looking forward to this. Fate animated by SHAFT, who would have guessed. Intriguing, to say the least.
Gilarack

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Player_91 wrote:
Gilarack wrote:

This is funny because F/Z had the same " pacing problem" you complained so much about

And yeah the VN has some pacing problems I won't deny, especially with HF and Fate, UBW is fine there though. In any case Fate gets hectic by day 9 and HF has the best twists and moments in the entire game so these offset the pacing problems

I disagree so much with that statement. Fate/Zero had a lot of dialogue yes, but the characters never repeated themselves. In fact the show had so many fully realized characters that it is a mystery to me how they managed to put all of it into 25 episodes.

UBW's second have has 3 episodes in a row where Shirou and Archer are standing around while preaching their respective ideologies to each other and occasionally fight again and again and again.
It is almost comical how often you hear Shirou talk about the reason why he is fighting.

In Zero every fight did not last longer than an episode (except the one at the river but there everyone actually worked together and was trying to figure out how to beat a giant tentacle monster Anime smile )
and with every conflict (no matter if physical or vocal) we learned something new about each character. Kiritsugu for example: you had to watch the entire show to fully understand where his motivation was coming from. It was revealed little by little and therefore more interesting.

Everything there is to learn about Shirou in UBW we find out in the second episode and from there on it's just repetition. And I get that his character is kind of about the fact that he does not change but you don't need 26 episodes to make that clear. And UBW mostly focussed on Shirou. If they would have developed the other characters as much as they did in Zero 26 episodes might have been justified. Illya get's one episode where they rush her story, the relation between Rin and Sakura is only hinted at but never explored, Saber completely gets the shaft, Rin turns from a confident woman into an insecure girl with no backbone for no reason in the second half and so on.

And don't tell me that we learn about that stuff in another route of the VN. The Anime should be able to stand on it's own and not confuse everyone who didn't make a summa cum laude in Type Moon. At least with Zero I got a story that felt complete to me.

I really hope that you are right and that Heavens Feel will be the revelation I am hoping for. I don't hate this franchise. I am only so very frustrated with it.
Merostay

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Gilarack wrote:
The Anime should be able to stand on it's own

what if they only care about making money?Making anime that dont stand on their own helps with that.
Renasviel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:18 pm Reply with quote
@Gilarack The anime was very clearly an adaptation of a single route of the VN (Unlimited Blade Works), and not a complete adaptation of Fate/Stay Night. You are supposed to either play through the Fate route or watch DEEN's adaptation of that route first before watching the UBW anime, and then you are supposed to either play through the Heaven's Feel route or wait for the movies. You are meant to be consuming all of them to get the whole story - of course it is going to be incomplete because it's really only 1/3 of the entire thing. Think of it like one long series, instead of three independent ones.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Gilarack wrote:
And don't tell me that we learn about that stuff in another route of the VN.

Yeah, but it does happen in another route, Heaven's Feel. Most people say that UBW is Shirou or Rin's route, but to me it's more Archer's route, as Fate is Saber's, and Heaven's Feel is...well, Sakura's route, but there is incredibly development for Rin, Kirei, Shirou (not the most incredible this one but more satisfying than UBW), Rider, and almost any character that got the short end of the stick recieves a better treatment.

To be completely honest, I don't believe that Ufotable did a bad work with UBW or Shirou's character at all, after reading the novel I noticed that there was a problem in the novel itself, though it is solved in HF too. But I think we're drifting from the main thread, Fate/Extra.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6