• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Daily Streaming Reviews Schedule: Spring 2016

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:34 am Reply with quote
Huh? Did I miss polls again? I could've swear I'm visiting ANN every single day and yet...I missed. Can't you wait for at least 24 hours or something like that? You know, timezone and all? The world is round, not flat!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:59 am Reply with quote
The poll numbers firm up very very quickly; typically whatever the results are after about 3 hours, those rankings don't budge. The number of votes increases, but the shows have pretty much settled into their popularity ranking by then, and after about 6 hours, when we're sure they're not really going to move again, that's when we go in and make our assignments and our editorial decisions. The votes come in quickly and it's very decisive.

I have no problem leaving the poll open for at least 12 hours moving forward. Oftentimes we need Daily Streaming to get started ASAP when the preview guide is done (we don't have a lot of wiggle room - keeping daily streaming reviews coordinated is difficult and I need to be able to do my job efficiently) so it may happen a bit faster than that, but we'll leave it up for a bit longer next time.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:47 am Reply with quote
Half Life wrote:
The Theron trashing is odd to me, since he is consistently my favorite reviewer... I probably wouldn't even bother with AnimeNetwork if it were not for him. Many of the other reviewers are either uptight snobs or women with opinions (or both).

Fixed for you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kurowa-san

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:26 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Half Life wrote:
The Theron trashing is odd to me, since he is consistently my favorite reviewer... I probably wouldn't even bother with AnimeNetwork if it were not for him. Many of the other reviewers are either uptight snobs or women with opinions (or both).

Fixed for you.

But calling someone a uptight snob is okay?
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:39 am Reply with quote
Nope, but it isn't an obvious gendered insult against the only two female reviewers for Preview Guide this season: myself and Rebecca. Or for daily reviews, Rebecca, Amy, and Lauren.

I personally don't care if people think my tastes are snobbish, but I don't care for being categorized as "raging" and I don't identify as a fujoshi. Calling women "angry" for simply disliking something is pretty common though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm honestly kind of relieved to see Magi up there - I was worried it wouldn't get voted in enough because it hadn't premiered yet. I'm excited to watch it, however! Smile

Everything else I voted on is included. Cheers to all the writers, I'm looking forward to being on the ride with all of you! -high five-
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
This season's been remarkably light on dedicated fan service shows, though I guess Big Order is going to be one?

That is correct, both in character designs and in out of place romcom antics.

It's one of the multiple flaws of Big Order, though a bit less maddening than the protagonist becoming a drooling imbecile by chapter 2.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:58 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:

I personally don't care if people think my tastes are snobbish, but I don't care for being categorized as "raging" and I don't identify as a fujoshi. Calling women "angry" for simply disliking something is pretty common though.

Likewise; I usually just assume "snobbish" is code for "academic" or "please stop using old-fashioned words." But I don't enjoy being categorized as "raging" either and I also do not consider myself a fujoshi.
MidoriUma

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
octopodpie wrote:

Likewise; I usually just assume "snobbish" is code for "academic" or "please stop using old-fashioned words." But I don't enjoy being categorized as "raging" either and I also do not consider myself a fujoshi.

I think snobbish is code for someone who thinks anyone not sharing their opinion is somehow inferior, or that their tastes and views are the only correct ones. I see quite a bit of this in the reviews. You may not personally like an anime, but please remember that some people do.

On a slight tangent, I'm assuming your first sentence was a humble brag; while you do have the right to show off how fancy you can write, please remember that ANN has a readership that includes people of all ages, education levels, and English-speaking abilities.
lys

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:54 pm Reply with quote
That diverse ANN readership also includes some who appreciate reading commentary with a higher(?) level of vocabulary. I didn't consider Rebecca's comment to be bragging, but a self-awareness that her reviews do often have a more literary tone or focus (though I've never found them overly "academic" or difficult to read). I enjoy the writing style and perspective that she brings to her reviews here :)
Half Life

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I have no issues with women, nor even women with opinions -- my wife of over 15 years can attest we rarely agree on anything, and I usually don't get my way.

That said fujoshi is a particular type of thing that is different from an opinion -- it is more like a brand of fetish -- like people who like whips. Fujoshi see everything through the lens of their particular fetish, even when the situation is far away from what they want to imagine.

Raging is a modifier -- meaning to the extreme of "fujoshiness".

A snob is a snob. They think only what they value has any value and summarily dismiss (with extreme prejudice) anything that does not live up to their "standards". I tend to find snobs also have an agenda to tell everybody else how they should think -- meaning they would like to be the ultimate extension of Political Correctness (thought police).
Half Life

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I guess I need to be direct here, since it is not apparently understood what exactly I meant in particular to the fujoshi comment:

Reading some of your reviews is like watching someone trying to verbally masturbate over something they mistakenly though actually happened (but was all in their head).

I am not interested in reading any more of your thoughts (really personal fantasies) -- and you have joined my ANN blacklist. I am hardly surprised you would find my opinion bothersome (since it disrupts your fantasy time).
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Half Life wrote:
I guess I need to be direct here, since it is not apparently understood what exactly I meant in particular to the fujoshi comment:

Reading some of your reviews is like watching someone trying to verbally masturbate over something they mistakenly though actually happened (but was all in their head).

I am not interested in reading any more of your thoughts (really personal fantasies) -- and you have joined my ANN blacklist. I am hardly surprised you would find my opinion bothersome (since it disrupts your fantasy time).

Okay, Half Life, that's enough out of you. You've given no specific examples of criticism that actually bothers you, just a blanket screed against all of our female writers as "fujoshi," even after several of them have told you that isn't their scene and they don't appreciate that label. Enough.

Characterizing an entire section of our staff as "irrational and masturbatory" due to their gender is misogynist hate speech, we don't tolerate it here, and it stops now. If I see this kind of bigoted personal attack coming from you toward any of our female staff or your fellow posters again, you will be put on moderation or banned. End of discussion.
Half Life

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Nice the thought police are in effect. It is amazing that I can be labeled as using "hate speech"... that is a laugh (but not really a surprise for this place).

Ban me if you want -- I have in fact made specific mention as to the criticism that bothered me in the weekly show thread for Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū -- which reviews read as more fanfic than actual review.

It is interesting to note that similar things were said about Theron, but yet nobody is accused of "hate speech" there.

Banned or not, I won't bother trying to communicate on this forum again... the extremist left-wing sentiment is too much for me.
MidoriUma

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:19 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

Okay, Half Life, that's enough out of you. You've given no specific examples of criticism that actually bothers you, just a blanket screed against all of our female writers as "fujoshi," even after several of them have told you that isn't their scene and they don't appreciate that label. Enough.

Characterizing an entire section of our staff as "irrational and masturbatory" due to their gender is misogynist hate speech, we don't tolerate it here, and it stops now. If I see this kind of bigoted personal attack coming from you toward any of our female staff or your fellow posters again, you will be put on moderation or banned. End of discussion.

I just re-read what Half Life posted over the past two pages, and nowhere does it say anything whatsoever about women.

Half Life posted a comment about fujoshi, which Octopodpie arbitrarily edited to "women with opinions", despite that clearly not being what was originally posted.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6