• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Expo's SPJA Announces Youth Protection Program

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:26 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
When I skimmed through those SPJA videos and saw them putting those Chikara mascot t-shirts on their generic adult male minders, I realized something.

The SPJA are fools for creating Chikara for such a divisive program.

Well, I find the "Chikara" mascot a counter productive joke. I mean creating "safe spaces" how is that helping people get stronger?

They make sound like there's all kinds of craziness that goes on in these cons. Now I'll admit I've gone to a few at NYCC and I've never encountered any wrong doing. Just watching kids sitting back in groups having fun. Parents have access to their children they don't just let them roam around alone. Now I do recall one instance of "harassment" and that was from a hired staff member. But when you say divisive, I have to agree. And to those that think that in some point that this is going to be okay, don't be surprised if the people that think it's okay find themselves on the short end of the stick next. We all know how this goes down and it doesn't end well and folks gotta wake up from the nightmare.
senketsumatoi

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I get the whole idea of possibly covering their own rear ends, but this whole policy is poorly thought out as written. Also, why they're announcing this 2-3 months before the convention is beyond me...something like this should have been announced months ago.
TsukasaHiiragi

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:36 am Reply with quote
How the mighty have fallen, in this case - fallen to Shonen Jump Weekly influence. I saw the video and at first glance I knew this was heading towards a Shonen Jump Weekly conclusion, with the teen sitting on the floor shouting for help....and the video continues and so far, it sounded fine - help for minors then the announcement of the safe space and 'boom' I knew it - and I shut the video down immediately.

This is trending on facebook at the moment, and I've got a lot of friends who are even planning on boycotting AX because of this; I'm personally all for protecting minors from any dangerous situation but this isn't the way to do it at all - forcing vendors to pay for background checks is wrong - this 'safe space' is no different from a uni 'hug box' and is down right offensive - The comments are disabled for a reason, the hatred for this is real.

Once cons start catering to triggered Shonen Jump Weekly the entire con scene will just implode, wither and die. Lets remember people. this is an anime convention - they'll be cosplayers all over the place, if you have a group of triggered Shonen Jump Weekly around; that would cause no end of problems in the long run, they'll be blood I guarantee it.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:53 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
They make sound like there's all kinds of craziness that goes on in these cons. Now I'll admit I've gone to a few at NYCC and I've never encountered any wrong doing. Just watching kids sitting back in groups having fun. Parents have access to their children they don't just let them roam around alone.

I am rather jealous you don't see quite so many unsupervised children as I do. They're everywhere around here.

TsukasaHiiragi wrote:
Once cons start catering to triggered Shonen Jump Weekly, the entire con scene will just implode, wither and die.

Do you think it's going to be that extreme, as in ALL cons regardless of what they're about, even state fairs and trade shows closed to the general public? Has there been a precedent?
TsukasaHiiragi

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:56 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Do you think it's going to be that extreme, as in ALL cons regardless of what they're about, even state fairs and trade shows closed to the general public? Has there been a precedent?

Lets hope not - I hope its not going to get extreme, but I'm going to assume that it could get that bad just by looking at the actions, videos and behavior of Shonen Jump Weekly in particular - Now, I'm personally hoping its going to be much ado about nothing here but I'm still skeptical based on the average behavior of Shonen Jump Weekly Sorry for the rant, I just don't like them period, just hearing that word gets me all pissy lol

I'm going to lie down, and watch some anime to calm down =P A drink of Tea and some Shomin Sample should suffice for now :3
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:30 pm Reply with quote
It will probably come down to how much of an impact it will have on the invited guests, vendors, and artists at Anime Expo.

Problem is that it is not very feasible for the smaller cons.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:22 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
They make sound like there's all kinds of craziness that goes on in these cons. Now I'll admit I've gone to a few at NYCC and I've never encountered any wrong doing. Just watching kids sitting back in groups having fun. Parents have access to their children they don't just let them roam around alone.

I am rather jealous you don't see quite so many unsupervised children as I do. They're everywhere around here.

Wow, I never would've have imagined. I guess that when it comes to days like Saturday that's when it's easy to miss something. But Sunday which is usually 'Kids Day', that's when parents are supposed to have their kids. I have been to some areas where kids and their parents are. So I guess what I'm not seeing is what IS possibly happening.

Now the one thing I will agree on is keeping adult material out of reach. I remember back many years ago when I attended a "furry" con, and I was often wondering with all of the amount of erotica around, why were their 12 yr olds there. But luckily they did for those and later cons to make sure according to the con rules, all erotica (be it nips, and penises and there were enough of those floating around) had to be co-VERED.

But no kid should be unsupervised at ANY event. Maybe those that can navigate themselves around with friends might be fine but should still be cautious. But smaller children should held onto at all times. But there should always be staff on hand that can be trusted and helpful. The problem sometimes are neglectful parents.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
But no kid should be unsupervised at ANY event. Maybe those that can navigate themselves around with friends might be fine but should still be cautious. But smaller children should held onto at all times. But there should always be staff on hand that can be trusted and helpful. The problem sometimes are neglectful parents.

Yeah, neglectful parents are undoubtedly the root cause of all the unsupervised kids I see (not just at conventions, but every public place). The worst part is that you can't do anything about it because if they find out you so much as tapped the kid's shoulders, they explode like Vesuvius and threaten to sue. (And a few of them actually do.)

The only way to get through to these cases is by asking the parents directly. I've tried it, and I've seen other people try it, and mention of their kids is a berserk button for them. Nine times out of ten, it goes nowhere: Either no one can find the parents, the parents deny they have children around (and will pretend to be by themselves until you go away), or they get even MORE ornery than if you attempt to guide the kid somewhere else.

I remember being in a Toys R Us a few years ago and seeing these two boys pick up scooters and crash them into shelves. Objects stocked onto the shelves would fall to the floor, and they kept doing it. They ignored everybody except each other. Their parents were nowhere in sight (and indeed, I couldn't find any individual in the store who lookedlike they might be parents). I was just there to compare prices for a video game and decided to wander about the store, but it annoyed me so much to see these boys doing it, then annoyed me further when I couldn't find their parents anywhere.

Maybe it's the culture around here, because from what I hear from people who live in other places, the situation with unsupervised children is not nearly as bad anywhere else. Unsurprisingly, we get a lot of child abductions too. Our amber alert signs have a new one almost every day.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:42 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

Yeah, neglectful parents are undoubtedly the root cause of all the unsupervised kids I see (not just at conventions, but every public place). The worst part is that you can't do anything about it because if they find out you so much as tapped the kid's shoulders, they explode like Vesuvius and threaten to sue. (And a few of them actually do.)

The only way to get through to these cases is by asking the parents directly. I've tried it, and I've seen other people try it, and mention of their kids is a berserk button for them. Nine times out of ten, it goes nowhere: Either no one can find the parents, the parents deny they have children around (and will pretend to be by themselves until you go away), or they get even MORE ornery than if you attempt to guide the kid somewhere else.

I remember being in a Toys R Us a few years ago and seeing these two boys pick up scooters and crash them into shelves. Objects stocked onto the shelves would fall to the floor, and they kept doing it. They ignored everybody except each other. Their parents were nowhere in sight (and indeed, I couldn't find any individual in the store who lookedlike they might be parents). I was just there to compare prices for a video game and decided to wander about the store, but it annoyed me so much to see these boys doing it, then annoyed me further when I couldn't find their parents anywhere.

Maybe it's the culture around here, because from what I hear from people who live in other places, the situation with unsupervised children is not nearly as bad anywhere else. Unsurprisingly, we get a lot of child abductions too. Our amber alert signs have a new one almost every day.

Yep. And then you have a plethora of rules that no follows anyway. "Did you see that sign?" "What sign?" and so on.
And that's the sad thing. So who else noticed the open pants slob in the vid?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:37 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaHiiragi wrote:
Sorry for the rant, I just don't like them period, just hearing that word gets me all pissy lol

Yet you used term 6 times in 2 posts. Must not hate the term that much.

And on that note the off topic SJ ranting stops now. That means everyone. It's OT and people have proven time and again they cannot discuss the topic civilly and it always results in flame wars and insults. Hence why the term is filtered here now. Anyone continuing to try and get around the filter will have their posts edited or removed entirely like the few edited or removed already. Now I suggest everyone leave that particular topic out of the discussion and focus on the article itself. Thank you.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:11 pm Reply with quote
So its April of this year is when the SPCA started giving a shit. Nice.
Scaramanga

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Citizen Klaus wrote:

I actually suspect that these new policies have less to do with defusing potential lawsuits (which are hard to quantify in terms of financial risk) and more to do with getting breaks on the cost of event insurance (which is a very real, and major, expense).

AX is partnered with the Nonprofit Risk Management Center for this new program, and helping clients get deals on insurance appears to be a substantial part of the NRMC's activities. The NRMC's website also has an entire hard-sell section devoted to pushing youth-protection consulting services, which I'm sure also played into this.

Except that's exactly what the NRMC does: help non-profits mitigate risk from lawsuits. Plus the insurance is a part of that, mitigating risk, or at least damages thereof.

Also, with regard to what you mentioned earlier about background checks in your industry, if you look to education at the lower levels, they most definitely require background checks, even down to janitorial/maintenance staff. I understand that's it's not in every industry, but it IS fairly prevalent in quite a few.

Although I DO agree that the policy itself seems hamhanded and poorly thought-out. I think this is probably just more growing pains for AX, and in 2017, it will hopefully be a smoother process. Honestly, I think it's a GOOD idea to run background checks on staff, vendors, and guests.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4