• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Producer Speaks About Casting Controversy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Svidrigailov wrote:
Out of curiosity, how many of you "it's not a big deal" people are white? How many are cis-male? No need to answer me, but you should consider that if you are part of the white, especially male, demographic, your opinion is biased by the fact that you're on the opposite pole of the social-experience spectrum from that of any marginalized identity.

I'm a tan-skinned, Caribbean/Asian Pacific-Islander mix, and the issue doesn't bother me. Personally I don't think "Asian American" is the same as "Japanese" (and I think most Japanese people feel the same way, because they have a very insular "uchi" "soto" culture --- and tbh, in my experience at least, I think they identify more closely with White Americans than they do with most of their Asian neighbors), so if you really a wanted a movie that was authentic to its Japanese characters, then it would have to be made in Japan. But this movie isn't being made in Japan, it's being made by Hollywood, so they're understandably going to draw on the pool of talent that's most readily available to them and makes financial sense for the film they're making.

I do believe in equality for the races and for women as well, and I'm a supporter of the female Ghostbusters movie this coming summer (despite all the negative backlash its experienced from people complaining about the female leads). That said, Ghost in the Shell (what with all its technological futurism) probably needs a large budget to properly realize its world, and I can understand any investor who would hesitate from funding a project without a recognizable name like Scarlett Johannson attached, particularly when she has a solid and well-known background in action films and the comic-film action community.

And like I mentioned before, Asians make up less than 6% of the US population. In that sense, there's a much smaller pool of Asian acting talent to tap into, so it begs the question which Asian actress you could reasonably cast in the role. Actual Japanese actresses like Rinko Kikuchi oftentimes have very poor English, which I don't think would reflect The Major's disposition very well in an ultimately English-language film. Maybe they could've taken a risk like they did with Star Wars and cast an unknown actress, but unlike Star Wars they don't have a huge built-in audience to watch this movie (I imagine there are much more people out there familiar with Scarlett Johansson than are familiar with Ghost in the Shell), so financially it would be a bigger risk.

In any case, like the new Ghostbusters movie, I don't think it's fair to point to the original version and say "they were men in the originals, so they have to be men in the new movie". I feel the same way about Ghost in the Shell -- it's an adaptation and a different take from the original, and given the country it's being made in, and the financial reasonableness behind the decision, I think it just makes sense. Scarlett Johannson is a reasonable choice regardless of her race/ethnicity.
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
I'm a tan-skinned, Caribbean/Asian Pacific-Islander mix, and the issue doesn't bother me. Personally I don't think "Asian American" is the same as "Japanese" (and I think most Japanese people feel the same way, because they have a very insular "uchi" "soto" culture --- and tbh, in my experience at least, I think they identify more closely with White Americans than they do with most of their Asian neighbors), so if you really a wanted a movie that was authentic to its Japanese characters, then it would have to be made in Japan. But this movie isn't being made in Japan, it's being made by Hollywood, so they're understandably going to draw on the pool of talent that's most readily available to them and makes financial sense for the film they're making.

Asian-American is not the same as Japanese, no personal opinion necessary. The point I was making is that neither explanation nor rationalization are equivalent to legitimate justification. If profit is being made in a way that contributes to the social invisibility of marginalized identities, that sucks; when it is trivialized by treating it as a non-issue, it sucks even more.

Quote:
That said, Ghost in the Shell (what with all its technological futurism) probably needs a large budget to properly realize its world, and I can understand any investor who would hesitate from funding a project without a recognizable name like Scarlett Johannson attached, particularly when she has a solid and well-known background in action films and the comic-film action community.

Tactically coherent does not equate to ethical.

Quote:
And like I mentioned before, Asians make up less than 6% of the US population. In that sense, there's a much smaller pool of Asian acting talent to tap into, so it begs the question which Asian actress you could reasonably cast in the role. Actual Japanese actresses like Rinko Kikuchi oftentimes have very poor English, which I don't think would reflect The Major's disposition very well in an ultimately English-language film. Maybe they could've taken a risk like they did with Star Wars and cast an unknown actress, but unlike Star Wars they don't have a huge built-in audience to watch this movie (I imagine there are much more people out there familiar with Scarlett Johansson than are familiar with Ghost in the Shell), so financially it would be a bigger risk.

Same thing as the last paragraph; you're arguing financial pragmatics while I'm arguing social responsibility.

Quote:
In any case, like the new Ghostbusters movie, I don't think it's fair to point to the original version and say "they were men in the originals, so they have to be men in the new movie". I feel the same way about Ghost in the Shell -- it's an adaptation and a different take from the original, and given the country it's being made in, and the financial reasonableness behind the decision, I think it just makes sense. Scarlett Johannson is a reasonable choice regardless of her race/ethnicity.

And you don't see differences in the social dynamics of replacing males with females in an oppressive patriarchal society versus replacing a minority character with a white one?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Well...I can't say I'm surprised by this comment. Steven Paul, like most other producers within Hollywood, is in it only for the massive profits.

I know many people here won't care about this, but...I'm in staunch belief that Scarlet Johansson being cast as Motoko Kusanagi was not a wise choice in a moral sense. Business-wise, it "works" as an attempt at attracting that supposedly "huge" demographic that are only interested in watching a film starring people like Scarlet, but, morally, it hurts others, particularly Asian actors/actresses in the process since she's been cast in an Asian film that should have had an Asian actress acting as the starring character. Hence, I really don't see how this live-action film of Ghost in the Shell is going to fare that well...
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
What a lulzy excuse. Hollywood should not take any movie project that requires actors of a certain race that aren't White, Black, or Latino.

That would only apply to movies based on historical or true events, whereas if you're making an adaptation of a preexisting work you can actually get away with casting actors irregardless of race to the characters their playing.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Thread is locked while some cleanup is commencing.

Edit: Well that was an enjoyable time spent cleaning this thread up. So this will be said only once. Everyone needs to remain civil when debating this topic. The whole whitewashing debate is a hot button enough issue as is here, let alone as the primary focus of a thread. So if we're going to have this discussion you all have to stay civil. If your post is gone or edited you know why. Any further insults or ignorant posts will be removed in their entirety and warnings will be sent via PM. If the discussion heads down the rabbit hole we'll just lock this up. We'd rather not have to do that. Thank you.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:31 am Reply with quote
I'm really hoping to be able to see this when it comes out. Beat Takeshi will have some appeal to it, amongst Scar Jo being in it too. Really though, if you're going to complain about something, always remember that you can make your statement in the best way possible by NOT GOING TO SEE THE MOVIE. If you want to see a movie with a Japanese person playing the Major, how about YOU PUT DOWN YOUR MONEY and YOU PRODUCE THE MOVIE. The producer is right in that this can be much more with being international, and they have a wider market to go with the way they are making the movie so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:16 am Reply with quote
As much as I agree with him if he thinks that this will stop the pc people from bitching than he's out of his mind. Laughing
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:38 am Reply with quote
My opinion has not changed one bit. There was no justifiable reason to change the character's nationality. They made her white because they thought that was the only way people would see the movie. Now they're getting all of this backlash and they have to back-peddle. I don't care if Shirow's okay with it. I will not see this movie.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:00 am Reply with quote
Depends on how much it'd cost for production.

If production won't cost that much, then there shouldn't be much issue using less-known Asian actors.

It's when a production is expected to skyrocket like cost $100M or more, that's when investors become nervous and want extra reassurances that they'd get their big investments back and won't lose their shirts over this. That's when the production has to use renowned actors in order for the investors to even give them the funding money to begin production with -- no big names, no big funding, movie has to be produced on the cheap (relatively).

Money to produce these big movies determine these decisions. Follow the money. Look at Edge of Tomorrow (aka All You Need is Kill) - they needed $178 Million to produce it - so they had to get Tom Cruise. If they would had produced it on the cheaps, then they wouldn't have needed him.

Anyways, there's really not much too Japanese in GitS. It helps that it happens in the future where Japan has changed, so it's not the Japan of today. Ministry politics happen in any Parliamentary system, which most Western governments are (not the US-style Presidential system that N. Americans like to believe). Their body appearances are just mere shells - adaptable to different situations. And there's already foreigners in the cast.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:42 am Reply with quote
Svidrigailov wrote:
Asian-American is not the same as Japanese, no personal opinion necessary. The point I was making is that neither explanation nor rationalization are equivalent to legitimate justification. If profit is being made in a way that contributes to the social invisibility of marginalized identities, that sucks; when it is trivialized by treating it as a non-issue, it sucks even more.

Maybe I would feel differently if the Major was originally an Asian-American in the manga or 90's film, but she wasn't. It would be like reasoning that you could cast a White American as James Bond --- I don't think British people would feel keen to that, the same way Japanese people wouldn't feel keen to an Asian American taking the role.

And as I stated before, statistics seem to suggest that Asians make up less than 6% of the US population. Hollywood can't will them to be more visible when the numbers aren't there.

Quote:
Same thing as the last paragraph; you're arguing financial pragmatics while I'm arguing social responsibility.

But it's not just financial pragmatics. The social reality is that there aren't many Asian Americans to begin with. And much as you might dislike to hear this, in my experience at least, Japanese people would probably be more interested in seeing a famous white female American take on the role of The Major than for an unknown Asian American. Maybe it's the cultural fallout following WWII, or a long-storied admiration for Western cultural advancement, but during my time in Japan I always felt that people were much more comfortable relating to White Westerners than any other race/ethnicity/nationality (not to mention some unspoken racism that many Japanese people seem to carry). So in that sense, at least from my experience, there's something a bit awkward about trying to rally for Asian Americans (who aren't really Japanese) into an ethnicity that generally would be more comfortable seeing White Westerners take on the role. Honestly, the controversy seems less about how Japanese people actually feel, or how Scarlett Johansson feels about having her talent undermined by factors she can't control, and more about what the Asian American community want to get out of the role, and I'm not sure I agree with that.

Quote:
And you don't see differences in the social dynamics of replacing males with females in an oppressive patriarchal society versus replacing a minority character with a white one?

I don't view the Ghostbusters movie as trying to fight the social dynamics of replacing males with females in an oppressive patriarchal society. I instead prefer to view the Ghostbusters movie as a potentially entertaining creation that has female leads in it. I kind of wish more people looked at it that way, so that the creativity and skills of the actors can be evaluated fairly, instead of being held to perceptions of social action, because I want to like the movie on its own merits as a piece of entertainment, not for pushing an agenda. Maybe it's because of my extremely mixed blood, but I don't side with any particular race or ethnicity, and so in this situation I feel more inclined to accept a choice that makes practical sense and casts a talented actress in the role, regardless of race.
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:22 am Reply with quote
Wandering Samurai wrote:
If you want to see a movie with a Japanese person playing the Major, how about YOU PUT DOWN YOUR MONEY and YOU PRODUCE THE MOVIE. The producer is right in that this can be much more with being international, and they have a wider market to go with the way they are making the movie so far.

There is, as I've stated multiple times now, a difference between sound business and ethical social action; the former does not overrule, but rather ignores and trivializes the latter.

enurtsol wrote:
It's when a production is expected to skyrocket like cost $100M or more, that's when investors become nervous and want extra reassurances that they'd get their big investments back and won't lose their shirts over this. That's when the production has to use renowned actors in order for the investors to even give them the funding money to begin production with -- no big names, no big funding, movie has to be produced on the cheap (relatively).

Most of your post deals with a financial justification for a social/ethical issue. This seems to be a common defense. I cannot speak for others, but regurgitating the justifications with which I'm already finding fault is not going to quell my outrage. If you're going to demonstrate that this is a non-issue, you should be providing evidence that the social ills such an act (and the apologist rhetoric surrounding it) reflect and reinforce are, in fact, being neither reflected nor reinforced. An argument of this sort would involve providing evidence that body dysphoria, particularly regarding "ethnic" features of Asian-American women, is either (a) not occurring among the demographic to any statistically relevant degree, (b) not affected by media representation, (c) equally present in non-US Asian populations (a point partially conceded below), or (d) some combination thereof.

enurtsol wrote:
Anyways, there's really not much too Japanese in GitS. It helps that it happens in the future where Japan has changed, so it's not the Japan of today. Ministry politics happen in any Parliamentary system, which most Western governments are (not the US-style Presidential system that N. Americans like to believe). Their body appearances are just mere shells - adaptable to different situations. And there's already foreigners in the cast.

I agree that focusing on the parliamentary elements is obviously missing the point. That said, I would argue that the issues covered in the 2nd Gig were a direct commentary on contemporaneous Japanese geopolitics. Also, the so-called gynoids/geisha-bots, whose exploitation for sex ask ontological questions directed at the very real Japanese sex doll industry (see http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2722779/Japans-sex-doll-industry-reaches-level-creation-perfect-artificial-1-000-Dutch-Wife-comes-realistic-feeling-skin.html), are a central concern in the GITS universe.

I readily admit that choosing the Laughing Man incident allows for an international translation without losing too much of the original story, as that particular arc, in both the series and the manga, deals more with Baudrillard's concepts of simulacra, simulation, and dissimulation; the evolution of cyber crime and hackers who achieve cult-hero status; and metaphysical questions about the relation of individuality/ego to the physical body--all of which can be explored independently of a specifically Japanese setting.

What concerns me are the social implications of the Major's ethnic shift, which is only exacerbated by the fact that the character's mother is ostensibly of Asian descent, implying the same for the Major, which, even if unintentionally, reinforces the idea that the Caucasian sanitized ideal is more desirable than an Asian woman's features... "this is the body she chose" kind of thing. And if this movie succeeds, there is the possibility of a franchise that completely deterritorializes the original source material.

Kikaioh wrote:
Maybe I would feel differently if the Major was originally an Asian-American in the manga or 90's film, but she wasn't. It would be like reasoning that you could cast a White American as James Bond --- I don't think British people would feel keen to that, the same way Japanese people wouldn't feel keen to an Asian American taking the role.

And as I stated before, statistics seem to suggest that Asians make up less than 6% of the US population. Hollywood can't will them to be more visible when the numbers aren't there.

I agree that were we arguing authenticity, an Asian-American filling the role of a Japanese character would be a moot point--so would making GITS an English-language film, for that matter. The issue is that because the US Asian demographic is a minority, and because of the paucity of roles where their appearance puts them significantly closer to that of the character's ethnicity, especially a lead one, and especially where they aren't playing a villain, this was a rare opportunity to make a minority more visible.

Quote:
But it's not just financial pragmatics. The social reality is that there aren't many Asian Americans to begin with. And much as you might dislike to hear this, in my experience at least, Japanese people would probably be more interested in seeing a famous white female American take on the role of The Major than for an unknown Asian American. Maybe it's the cultural fallout following WWII, or a long-storied admiration for Western cultural advancement, but during my time in Japan I always felt that people were much more comfortable relating to White Westerners than any other race/ethnicity/nationality (not to mention some unspoken racism that many Japanese people seem to carry). So in that sense, at least from my experience, there's something a bit awkward about trying to rally for Asian Americans (who aren't really Japanese) into an ethnicity that generally would be more comfortable seeing White Westerners take on the role. Honestly, the controversy seems less about how Japanese people actually feel, or how Scarlett Johansson feels about having her talent undermined by factors she can't control, and more about what the Asian American community want to get out of the role, and I'm not sure I agree with that.

As far as demographics go, 5.6% (as of 2015 census) is still almost 18 million people, and this number does not include those who identified as multiple ethnicities or Native Hawaiin/Pacific Islander. They are also the second fastest growing demographic in the US, and the fastest in terms of domestic fertility rates.

It's quite possible that a Japanese audience would prefer to see a Caucasian lead. I recently spent some time in China where one of my fellow delegates, a Caucasian blond with particularly pale skin, was veritably deified. On that same trip, I also witnessed a number of Chinese women who had bleached both her skin and hair; I saw the abundance of skin-bleaching products, Western models advertising in shopping malls, etc. While the skin-bleaching is more closely tied to Chinese social values which regard dark skin as a signifier of low-class, unintelligent workers who must scrape by with manual labor in the sun (hence an aversion to Africans and African-Americans), the hair-bleaching is not, and I'm hesitant to laud the whole-sale export of US beauty ideals to other countries.

These issues are intersectional, as Johansson is herself a marginalized identity. There are certainly fewer opportunities to play a strong lead for females than there are for males, particularly in action films. So long as they follow the SAC/films track more than the Shirow model (which, although sexualizing Kusanagi, would in capable hands present an opportunity to mainstream bi- or pansexuality), GITS also presents a female character whose body may appear sexualized, yet in no way functions as a sex object--a rare opportunity for any female actor. However, because Asian-Americans are a minority demographic who have been traditionally typecast as villains in Western media, I feel a bid for representation in this case is justifiable.

Kikaioh wrote:
I don't view the Ghostbusters movie as trying to fight the social dynamics of replacing males with females in an oppressive patriarchal society. I instead prefer to view the Ghostbusters movie as a potentially entertaining creation that has female leads in it. I kind of wish more people looked at it that way, so that the creativity and skills of the actors can be evaluated fairly, instead of being held to perceptions of social action, because I want to like the movie on its own merits as a piece of entertainment, not for pushing an agenda. Maybe it's because of my extremely mixed blood, but I don't side with any particular race or ethnicity, and so in this situation I feel more inclined to accept a choice that makes practical sense and casts a talented actress in the role, regardless of race.

I see your point, but part of this whole issue concerns the fact that the intent of the creators does not always translate to the broader effects a given product has. In the modern world, once we acknowledge that our every action affects others--directly or indirectly, intentional or unintentional--we should not act until we've ascertained whether or not we have that right.
supercalafragilisticjoy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Shouldn't we worry less about race and more about who can actually act and fit the role the best? (Though I believe this does depend on how much it fundamentally changes the story or characters - like SnK and poor butchered Mikasa)

If it was between SJ and a Japanese actress, who perhaps looks the part but didn't act as well - is it still wrong to pick SJ?
Of course, if the asian actresses weren't given the chance, then that would be something else entirely

But because this story is about the future and androids - I do think it's more acceptable to tweak the story to be more accessible to your audience while still keeping the essence.

Anyway, that's just my two cents (Or with inflation, is it more like 10 cents?)
0nsen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:15 pm Reply with quote
It's not like this is the first time her nationality changed. The movie from 1995 was set in Hong Kong. I think people are complaining about the wrong thing here. It doesn't matter who plays the major, it matters that it is an live-action adaptation and those have a track record of being terrible ten out of ten times.

GitS shouldn't be made into a live-action movie. Period.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Who cares. Like always for Hollywood the main story doesn't matters, just the final numbers. For me they can use a green alien or a stone as Kusanagi Motoko. They never made a decent adaptation of any manga/anime. Why this thing should be the exception.

And this thing is not really a adaptation of Ghost in the Shell, is a movie that uses some parts and some of the characters and have the same title of a Japanese manga the movie producers probably never take a look at before.
IG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I would not consider this the person is filling the role of an asain film . Because this is not an asiain film . This is a Americian film, being base on Asian franchise . This realty no different when the Usa did The Ring, or The Grudge . There films that are base on Japanese movies . Also were not the only country who did this Korean, and thai made there own versions of film or thing from foreingn countries. If it s wrong for America change races ?Than is it wrong for Asian countries do the same thing ?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5