• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Puzzle & Dragons X (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:00 am Reply with quote
I just thought it was weird that he could stand in front of everyone and announce to the world his plans of world domination - not just restoring power to Dragonoids, but ruling over everyone will be me! Jest! and no one says, "hey, wait a minute... Power's cool, but why do you get all of it?"

Yay! The dancing ED is back! Too bad it's just Ace though. It would be seriously entertaining to see the very serious Lance doing his happy dance. Very Happy

Seems like it's about time for King to show up, or at least Ancient of Wood (forgot his name). Maybe the Defense forces have to fail first?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 65

It feels like one of the bigger cliff hanger parts of the series, so a recap/filler/highlights episode should be especially frustrating. But I think the character writing in this episode was strangely interesting and humorous, like it knew how to not take itself too seriously and have a bit of fun. It was not like it was anything really creative, but just parts like Tamazo and Devi having to be told to use their ticks, the other characters saying they had better things to do, Ouka apparently being quite the character. But especially Sonia, with comments that she needed to stay in character. And even an Osomatsu reference, which I will assume would be of the more child friendly variants.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:35 am Reply with quote
Is there a connection between this and Magical Girl Ore? It's weird that they both did almost the same thing this week, meta-wise, right down to the Osomatsus. oO

I'm curious about her puns in Japanese. "perSoniality" was actually pretty good. Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:28 am Reply with quote
67-69

Now that's what I call a power-up! I would've thought Ra would've listened to his buddy Horus vouching for Ace, but no, he had to be all pig-headed about it.

I kept wanting Ace to stop the rampaging dragon and take the chains off its feet. Those were probably putting it in a bad mood as much as the drops.

Why did all the citizen dragonoids have blue horns and wings? We've seen a huge variety of styles and colors of such features, but everyone in the city seemed to be stamped from the same machine. And why were they openly selling fake ones if guild humans infiltrating was a problem for them? And why would the real dragonoids want to buy fake wings and horns anyway? I didn't get that at all, except for the badges.

I also didn't get why Mere didn't go with them. Seems like it would be better than living in the sewer. And isn't the idea to gather together all the guild folks?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:33 am Reply with quote
70 (I thought they might wrap this at 72 or so, but now it's looking like another cour at least?)

"I'll just have to rely on my jelly dumplings!" They look like tadpoles to me. Anime dazed

This was a massively stupid episode (why were they suddenly ok to be totally out in the open at the end? It's not like the Dominion had all gone away), and the animation totally went to hell, but dat ending! That was really great. Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:43 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the episode was kind of nonsense.
But what do you expect from a Danny episode? Razz
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:38 am Reply with quote
Donny desu. Cool
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:56 pm Reply with quote

Ah, now Tiger's back (with a bonus of finally getting rid of the All Might knock-off). Looks like Charo will return next week.

It occurs to me that they should have added characters to dance with Ace in this ED as they get added back to his party. He seems lonely with the stage all to himself.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:35 am Reply with quote
Hmm, never really thought about Aget being like an All Might knockoff. They have tried to make him intimidating before, but pretty much every time he fails.

CGI Ace in the ED, always looks kind of wrong, especially at the end where there are 2d versions of the other characters. I have not really been a fan of this version of the ED, rather than earlier versions that did not just feature Ace, but him partnered with Lance.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:36 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
They have tried to make him intimidating before, but pretty much every time he fails.

That's why I said "knockoff" instead of "clone." As in cheaply made and substandard. Smile This franchise could predate MHA, but even if so, they're both modeling/parodying American comics superheroes with their respective characters.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 76

So Charo sneaks into the room, looks around, and somehow fails to notice Klein sitting in front of the door behind his big desk. Could he not see over it or something? oO It's like the first thing you'd see walking into that room.

The plot proceeds apace, now that the gang is back together and Lance is freed from being evil. People being rescued, waking up, and changing sides all over the place. But I don't know what happened to the art in this episode. It wasn't so much off-model as different-model? Like they got a whole new set of artists or something.

Yikes, that preview. I know that was supposed to be Aget's tail wagging, but... Shocked
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:30 am Reply with quote
I noticed some things weird with the art too, although I just got my knew glasses today, so was not sure if I was just sitting well. With the episode so Charo focused, I noticed several interesting Charo animation, that I might in ways say it was good, but made him look more mature, and yet I think the zoomed out art looked maybe a little worse. I would be interested to learn what was done different in this episode.

Anyway, I do like Charo, he would have totally been the character I would gravitate the most as a kid. I am totally fine with Klein switching sides, as much as he is kind of arrogant and fit into the dark side, I don't think he has quite been irredeemable, and could work to being redeemed. I always liked the idea of him being a partner with Torlie, and would also like Lance to do something after literally being the Jest's Dragon for so long, causing destruction. Aget though... Aget is easily one of the most hateable characters in the show, next week is going to be something.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 79

This is madness. Aget was both useful and a good guy. Even though he barely succeeded at times, failed, accidentally succeeded so switched sides, but was not so bad so switched back. Could it have actually worked to make me like Aget? Especially when he pulled the Nui reaching across a screen break.

One thing to question tough, that all of the Dominion people died in the fortress from lava, generally the good guys leave them alive, but thinking about it, it was kind of dark.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:18 am Reply with quote
Eh, I still can't stand Aget. Even his backstory couldn't make me feel sad for him, and I fell hard for Midousuji's backstory (Yowapeda). And I had more than enough of his flexing. They really needed to widen the back shot enough to make it clear we were looking at his tail. >.>

I kinda winced at them leaving all the Dominion folks to die too. Though they (or at least that one guy) brought it on themselves. It's not like they had to pull the switch after they were defeated.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:13 am Reply with quote

Huh, I was totally expecting Lance to pull a deus ex redemption move there, but I'm actually glad that Dafnes got her payback in the end. It was funny how everyone in the gang was frantically waving their death flags but nobody died.

Seriously though, what was so great about Kroell's soul that would cause Lucifer to whip out a massive heel turn just because he couldn't have it? He just said, "Damn, lost my boy, see ya suckers," and vanished. Who's gonna find other souls for him now that Jest is probably toast?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5