• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds English-Dubbed Episodes of Gintama

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:54 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Actually, about the previous episodes, is it possible that Crunchyroll/Ocean is still maybe trying to wrestle the license away from Sentai Filmworks? I was on their site just now checking solicitations, and I saw (in addition to the movie, which everyone knows is dubbed) there are three Gintama collections, numbered 1, 3, and 4. It didn't give the episodes, but here's the link: https://shop.sentaifilmworks.com/collections/shows?page=4&sort_by=title-ascending

Sentai doesn't have the license anymore and the fact that set 2 is missing there and elsewhere proves it. No idea how they're allowed to sell copies of expired titles though since I also see Eyeshield 21 & the Guin Saga BD available and not the latter's DVD set.
Kb24lol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:10 am Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
One of the things that makes the Gintama anime a 10/10 is the voice acting. There's no way this English dub can even come close to the original. And what the heck are they thinking, skipping over 200 episodes.

This is laughable dude, its ridiculous how people can say the acting or voice acting of a certain show or movie is great when they cant even understand a word of it. Like for real lol.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:30 am Reply with quote
Jedi Master Kirito wrote:
One has to wonder what exactly they were thinking. Anyone who has already watched this far into the series is a) unlikely to switch and b) unlikely to like dubs in the first place: and people who like dubs are not going to start at episode 226.

Ya know what, I'm gonna go against the grain here. I'd watch the dub.

I don't really care for Gintama. I'm not particularly interested in watching an anime entirely for its sense of comedy and that is often how people promote it (I'm sure there are other reasons, but that's the one I always hear). Aside from whatever project Kyoto animation makes, I tend to find comedy in anime hit and miss I usually laugh when I don't see the comedic bits coming. If I'm gonna watch the show at this point, it would be because it's rare for me to find an opportunity to sit down and watch an anime dub where the cast are Vancouver actors. I miss hearing their voices in anime.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:38 am Reply with quote
Kb24lol wrote:
Thorfinn wrote:
One of the things that makes the Gintama anime a 10/10 is the voice acting. There's no way this English dub can even come close to the original. And what the heck are they thinking, skipping over 200 episodes.

This is laughable dude, its ridiculous how people can say the acting or voice acting of a certain show or movie is great when they cant even understand a word of it. Like for real lol.

So? Its the original Voice acting of the anime. Japanese not English, note that Im not agaisnt the dub but when the original and Main dubbing is done the way everyone enjoys and like it then of course the english dub won't be able to compare to the Japanese dub. No matter what happens (Especially since the very first part of Gintama has yet to even be translated) the original voice acting will always be suspeorior to the dub for Gintama...I doubt many would disagree with me here.
O-chan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:32 am Reply with quote
epicwizard wrote:
I find it pretty strange that they skip to episode 226. Why not start at episode 1? Unless if they actually did start at episode 1, but it's just going to be uploaded at a future date.

Actually it's 266, not 226.

Since no one has answered this question I did a little research. It's because the first 265 (and two movies) episodes were animated by Sunrise. The series then went on like a 2-year hiatus and the series is currently backed by Bandai Namco Pictures. In fact the dub makes references to this in that very episode!

My guess is Sentai HAD the rights to all the Sunrise stuff but now that's probably tied up in some licensing nonsense so Crunchyroll got the right to all the stuff helmed by the newer animation company.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Midaro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:01 am Reply with quote
It may be that Crunchyroll is dubbing from episode 200 on, while Funimation does it from episode 1 for a future DVD and Bluray release. I've always watched Gintama in Japanese. I love the Japanese cast, but watching a different cast would be a different experience, and I could always switch to Japanese if I owned the blurays. So, come on, we're talking about a possible bluray release!!! I could not be more happy!!! I hope it gets distributed in The UK so I could buy it and actually watch it (Region B), and I would LOVE if Selecta Visión dubbed it in Spanish, por el amor de Dios! This is a series I wound't mind buying twice, cause every country adds some new jokes and it simply is hilarious, intense and deep.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:10 am Reply with quote
This all came at once didn't it, it was a lot to take it all at once. The cast seems a bit mixed, the original cast is mostly filled with veterans who have been in the industry for a hell of a long time. This seems a mix between some people from the early days to some new talent, I assume some are going under aliases though. I thought Brad Swaile was Shinpachi at first, but his VA seems real, so I'm now guessing Zura since his VA has no information or prior roles(or do a lot of Canadians sound the same?). It sounds as good as I could of wished for, as long as it is at the very least watchable. ideally I would of preferred Bang Zoom! Entertainment, as they are the best, but you take what you can.

I'm glad it wasn't Funimation for 2 reasons. it is nice to hear some different voices given Funimations current dominance dub, and I'm sort of worried it would of had that harmonised their Shonen Jump shows get
O-chan wrote:
Since no one has answered this question I did a little research. It's because the first 265 (and two movies) episodes were animated by Sunrise. The series then went on like a 2-year hiatus and the series is currently backed by Bandai Namco Pictures. In fact the dub makes references to this in that very episode!
I'm sure that it was episode 300 when Sunrises sister company took over, at the time they were showing clips of the Shogun Assassination arc months before airing, and many said it was because they had switched over and Sunrise continued until 299.
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:56 am Reply with quote
I tried to go and check out the dub... and I can't because episodes 266-290 aren't available to me in Finland. Have they been removed because they've been/will be dubbed, or have those episodes always been unavailable to people in my region? I've watched a few random eps of Gintama on Crunchyroll every now and then, so I assumed the whole thing is viewable here.
Kb24lol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:43 pm Reply with quote
HueyLion wrote:
Kb24lol wrote:
Thorfinn wrote:

So? Its the original Voice acting of the anime. Japanese not English, note that Im not agaisnt the dub but when the original and Main dubbing is done the way everyone enjoys and like it then of course the english dub won't be able to compare to the Japanese dub. No matter what happens (Especially since the very first part of Gintama has yet to even be translated) the original voice acting will always be suspeorior to the dub for Gintama...I doubt many would disagree with me here.

Once again, unless you can speak japanese you dont have an argument. Let me tell you something also. My dad and I are good friends with the director/scriptwriter of a couple of big shows (arrow, flash, LOT, etc...), his name is Andrew Kreisberg. he's an avid anime watcher, so I asked him whats his stance on people saying "oh dub is trash it doesnt live up to the sub at all, etc.." He said "Why wouldnt you go out of your way to listen to a show in your own language if its readily available?", any anime he's watched(and he mostly watches dubbed of shows like attack on titan, dbz, iron blooded orphans gundam, and about every Fate/stay night) he's said there has been nothing wrong with the voice acting according to him, a guy with actual credibility. Subbed anime is alright, Il definitely watch it if the dub in my language (english) wont come out like Gintama for all those years, but is it better to watch japanese than english when given the choice if your first language is english? Im fine dude lol.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:21 pm Reply with quote
O-chan wrote:
epicwizard wrote:
I find it pretty strange that they skip to episode 226. Why not start at episode 1? Unless if they actually did start at episode 1, but it's just going to be uploaded at a future date.

Actually it's 266, not 226.

My guess is Sentai HAD the rights to all the Sunrise stuff but now that's probably tied up in some licensing nonsense so Crunchyroll got the right to all the stuff helmed by the newer animation company.

Companies don't usually license a long running show in its entirety. They probably only have the license for the episodes that they have released. It still seems kind of odd that they could only get the episodes done under Sunrises BNP lable.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:27 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Sentai doesn't have the license anymore and the fact that set 2 is missing there and elsewhere proves it. No idea how they're allowed to sell copies of expired titles though since I also see Eyeshield 21 & the Guin Saga BD available and not the latter's DVD set.

Sentai's license may have expired but probably not before this dub went into production. Shorts HD was airing the first 52 episodes subbed as recently as July.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Pikagreg wrote:
Is it just me or is this actually an Ocean dub?

i'm afraid its worse. their probably doing that NIS America & Right Stuff/Nozumi Ent did with card captor sakura & gundam build fighters seasons 1 & 2, and are using the animax asia english dub version.

besides. that cast definitely dont sound like an ocean group dub. hell, no one have really heard anything about the ocean group after they did the dub version for the black lagoon ova. its either they went out of business, or they are exiting from the anime voiceover business and only doing western cartoons now.

either way, this doesnt sound or look too good for the series let alone crunchyroll. if this goes south, dont be surprised if the die hard otaku community start comparing their dub work as bad as 4kids and demand they stick to only show sub versions and leave the dubs to studios that know what their doing.

they should have did what netflix did for nanatsu no taizai (seven deadly sins) and use a competent dubbing studio like bang zoom to dub gintama instead of doing the NIS and right stuff route and being dirt cheap with their english dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:25 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Pikagreg wrote:
Is it just me or is this actually an Ocean dub?

i'm afraid its worse. their probably doing that NIS America & Right Stuff/Nozumi Ent did with card captor sakura & gundam build fighters seasons 1 & 2, and are using the animax asia english dub version.

besides. that cast definitely dont sound like an ocean group dub. hell, no one have really heard anything about the ocean group after they did the dub version for the black lagoon ova. its either they went out of business, or they are exiting from the anime voiceover business and only doing western cartoons now.

either way, this doesnt sound or look too good for the series let alone crunchyroll. if this goes south, dont be surprised if the die hard otaku community start comparing their dub work as bad as 4kids and demand they stick to only show sub versions and leave the dubs to studios that know what their doing.

they should have did what netflix did for nanatsu no taizai (seven deadly sins) and use a competent dubbing studio like bang zoom to dub gintama instead of doing the NIS and right stuff route and being dirt cheap with their english dub.

Google the names. They're Canadian voice actors! This is an Ocean dub.
If I could just tear you away from your crystal ball of gloom and doom to do some actual research.
1dbad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:16 am Reply with quote
I'm excited about the dub! It's great seeing something use Ocean again, and some of the names mentioned already have me hyped. (like Janyse Jaud)

Where they're starting the series from is odd, but hopefully they can dub the earlier stuff at a later date. Fingers crossed this does well!
Midaro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:32 pm Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
I'm excited about the dub! It's great seeing something use Ocean again, and some of the names mentioned already have me hyped. (like Janyse Jaud)

Where they're starting the series from is odd, but hopefully they can dub the earlier stuff at a later date. Fingers crossed this does well!

I agree. They may release these two seasons in blueray and, should they make profit, dub the first seasons as well. I hope they do. These are good news!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5