• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Vatican Miracle Examiner

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hack5

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:03 am Reply with quote
lebrel wrote:
hack5 wrote:

This is what upsets me every thing under the sun is fujoshi bait its like you can be friends anymore where is the friendship line drawn?then you have the viewers who is always on pins and needles guessing what the characters relationship is they cant wait for it to cannon.Dont get me wrong i like BL too but its getting ridiculous that you cant have dinner with the same sex or watch stars together its like the gay community invented friendship that nobody else can use lol why not just call it bromance? which is way better in my opinion.Just to let you know what i just said is not an attack on you or anything like that and i know this is the way things in the anime community is these days but its so frustrating when you cant even hug a friend of the same sex without being call gay.

Well, BL tease is a thing. Creators put it in on purpose to bring in fangirls. The VME guys don't just act like freinds sharing a casual meal; the scene is given a calculated air of domestic and emotional intimacy. I don't see the problem with noticing and commenting on that.

I never said it was a problem with commenting on stuff like that just as you give your two cents on the matter i did that as well thats why i said its not attack on you or anything like that
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:44 am Reply with quote
Hang in there, James! We'll get through this together! Cool

That being said, i don't think i've ever watched this show completely sober, not sure if that would even be possible for me...which might be part of the reason (well, aside from the stupid and confusing plot...) why i'm still not sure about what was the deal with Father Julia. First he was suppossed to be the mastermind behind everything, then he got killed (or not?) and finally he was "a mysterious guy" our heroes hope to see again?! Can somebody please enlighten me? I'd hate having to rewatch it myself... Wink
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:50 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Hang in there, James! We'll get through this together! Cool

That being said, i don't think i've ever watched this show completely sober, not sure if that would even be possible for me...which might be part of the reason (well, aside from the stupid and confusing plot...) why i'm still not sure about what was the deal with Father Julia. First he was suppossed to be the mastermind behind everything, then he got killed (or not?) and finally he was "a mysterious guy" our heroes hope to see again?! Can somebody please enlighten me? I'd hate having to rewatch it myself... Wink

I ended up cutting out a solid hundred words about the Julia nonsense, and only because I feel like he's coming back before too long, so I can address it then. If this is somehow the last we see of him, then I have literally no idea what was going on with him. Was the dead body a double, or was the pretty young man we met never Julia in the first place?

I swear, there are times when my notes for this show are made up of nothing but all-caps questions trailed by a dozen question marks.
AyanamiRei

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:54 am Reply with quote
James_Beckett wrote:

I ended up cutting out a solid hundred words about the Julia nonsense, and only because I feel like he's coming back before too long.

He was introduced like he was an important character of the show back when the animated adaptation was presented.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I liked how the Vatican was upset by the broadcast and then decided their punishment (after a few rounds of, "Fire me!" "No, fire me!" "No, me!!" "No, for the love of God, please fire me!") would be, "Hey, just keep doin' what you're doin'! That should be punishment enough!"

Every time the OP starts, it reminds me of Descendants of Darkness. In fact, the whole series does, although it doesn't quite seem to be in on the joke the way DoD always was.
chaccide

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:40 am Reply with quote
I actually liked how he debunked prophecies one by one and showed that the guy was cherry-picking only those that he could come up with explanations for. It's something that more people who believe in that kind of crap like Nostradamus and hey biblical prophecies (!) need to hear.

I'm still enjoying all of this. It's very bad but that's still part of what entertains me.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:50 pm Reply with quote
chaccide wrote:
I actually liked how he debunked prophecies one by one.

Yeah, this anime is starting to feel more like MythBusters and Scooby Doo combined, what with all the debunking of every case they they come across. Maybe that's the issue with this anime: there are no miracles or acts of God happening. Confused
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Despite getting the opportunity to review some truly terrible shows during my time writing for ANN

Is it like, a coincidence you keep getting the shit shows, or does someone at ANN have a radar that lets them know just how bad a show will be just from their first couple of episodes. Or are you just cursed?

my favourite bit about episode 8 was the random asspull plot towards the end where its like "shoot we need more mysteries, lets make some secret experiment thing be happening underneath the church!"

chaccide wrote:
I actually liked how he debunked prophecies one by one and showed that the guy was cherry-picking only those that he could come up with explanations for. It's something that more people who believe in that kind of crap like Nostradamus and hey biblical prophecies (!) need to hear.

I was liking that bit until I realised all of Roberto's comments were just "this is all your interpretation and could mean a billion other things" and it kind of felt like... well, yeah, obviously. You don't have to be a Miracle Examiner to look at something and think "you're clutching at straws there".

Quote:
though I'm still not convinced that his explanation of how Jordan physically strangled the canvas of the painting makes any sense

Same. The hand marks imply he had a hold around something but you can't do that with a canvas. I was so distracted during that scene trying to figure out how one could physically replicate those hand marks on a painting.

Also gonna assume Julia plays a bigger part as I *think* that's him on the key visual (to be honest a bunch of characters look the same so when the show first started I thought it was the floating stigmata kid from the Hitler arc)
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:02 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
Quote:
Despite getting the opportunity to review some truly terrible shows during my time writing for ANN

Is it like, a coincidence you keep getting the shit shows, or does someone at ANN have a radar that lets them know just how bad a show will be just from their first couple of episodes. Or are you just cursed?

There were a couple I volunteered for (Handshakers, for example), but I don't think anyone had any idea going into the season that VME would be the trasheap of the lineup.
Brack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:37 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:

Also gonna assume Julia plays a bigger part as I *think* that's him on the key visual (to be honest a bunch of characters look the same so when the show first started I thought it was the floating stigmata kid from the Hitler arc)

He does. Bill Suskins is also a recurring character. However I don't think they are involved in the next novel that the series is adapting. I believe there's a Julia short story in the same collection that episode 5's story was taken from, so they might adapt that.

Though hopefully they don't. If I have one problem with the series, it's that the Satan's Judgement story felt rushed at the end. I'd rather they gave these stories 4 episodes each rather than 3 episodes so they can fit in a less formulaic one-shot.
AyanamiRei

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:16 am Reply with quote
[quote="Brack"]
harminia wrote:
I believe there's a Julia short story in the same collection that episode 5's story was taken from, so they might adapt that.

Though hopefully they don't. If I have one problem with the series, it's that the Satan's Judgement story felt rushed at the end. I'd rather they gave these stories 4 episodes each rather than 3 episodes so they can fit in a less formulaic one-shot.

Where did you find the books content?

What was the Satan's Judgement story?
Brack

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:55 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Saw the cover for Volume 3 of the novels, and turns out the synopsis I read did much better job of hiding the spoiler than the actual cover of the book does! So ignore what I wrote early about who is and isn't appearing in the next arc...]
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:10 am Reply with quote
To be honest, when I saw that VME was delayed on Strike, I wasn't bothered, but when I saw the episode title had Decapitating Clown in it, I knew I had to watch it. The episode did not disappoint. Well not in the way that I'd hoped at the beginning of the show but still.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the miracle of a rainbow-glowing crucifix statue that beckons the trumpet of the Lord

That's backwards - it's the trumpet that heralds the statue's glow. I think the order is significant, since I suspect the frequencies of the trumpet's sound are probably at least in part responsible for the visual hallucinations.

Quote:
bogged down in boring discussions about old folktale books and such

Ah, where's Rebecca when we need her? I was hoping for some commentary on whether any of the folktales besides the Pied Piper were real without having to go look them up. If so, some insight into their origins might offer some clues about what's going on (as futile and pointless as it is, I have to find something to chew on here).

Quote:
he's using his giant psyche to chop up a whole bunch of people

He's telekinetic? Razz
Terrible90sDub

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Unless my eyes are betraying me, I believe rainbow disco Jesus also has 6 toes:

http://i.imgur.com/kwSX61V.png

Clearly, this is going to be of great symbolic significance that will tie into the deep and amazing plot and definitely wasn't just a mistake in animation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6