• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Made in Abyss Episodes 1-13 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silent-Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:28 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
On the topic of the nudity/lewd jokes, since some people just want to shut it down now I guess, I'll be quick. As an uncle of 14, 9 of whom are boys, yes, this is the kind of stuff that kids do. Especially between the ages of 10-14. People are over-thinking it. And while you have the right to not watch it on that basis, if that's really all you're avoiding it for, you're making a mistake as far as I'm concerned. And everyone else also has the right to tell you that. If you don't like being told that, maybe don't come to a thread to make a comment like "I'd totally watch this show...if it wasn't for the blatant depictions of nude children on a regular basis." if you don't want to meet some resistance from people who have a better understanding of the content and have actually seen the show.
This isn't meant to be aggressive or condescending, these are just my honest thoughts. I'm sorry that you feel the way you do.

If your comment refers to me, I have a few things to say about it. Unless, I'm completely wrong and you're referring to someone else lol.

Last edited by Silent-Ninja on Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ relyat08 - yeah, actually 13 does seem more appropriate. Hell, I'm 52 and I think there was stuff in there I am too young to see.

Certain aspects of Mitty's backstory probably qualify as "Not Safe For Life." In the U.S. ratings system this show would likely get an R, for that and the encounter with the poison porcupine. Though, with the common assumption that all cartoons are for kids, it's hard to say for sure.

As for the pacing issue--much as I hate that term--I do somewhat agree with that criticism. It didn't ruin the show or anything (struggling to imagine what could have been considered better that season), but right in the middle of lots of plot progression and diving deeper into the abyss, they suddenly (does this even qualify as a spoiler?) spoiler[spend three entire episodes hanging at and around Seeker Camp, where they grapple with Ozen's difficult personality, and her equally difficult but not very interesting training exercise].

That whole thing could have easily been condensed to one episode. There were some reveals/backstory in there, but nothing that required a whole 3 episodes. It was probably stretched a bit so they could end the season at the place they intended. But filler in anime isn't exactly a new concept.

Silent-Ninja wrote:
If your comment refers to me, I have a few things to say about it.

They were mainly referring to someone else's somewhat sensationalist comment a few pages back, which appears to have been deleted.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Oh believe me, Key, many of us aren't going to forget you put Princess Principal - an anime that will be rapidly forgotten - ahead of one of the best anime series in a number of years.

Oh, I fully expect that MIA is going to be the more remembered of the two, although PP was too good to just fade into obscurity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Silent-Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:09 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:

Silent-Ninja wrote:
If your comment refers to me, I have a few things to say about it.

They were mainly referring to someone else's somewhat sensationalist comment a few pages back, which appears to have been deleted.

Sincere apologizes for the misinterpretation. I had no idea. Their comment was right underneath mine which probably threw me off lol.

Last edited by Silent-Ninja on Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I liked PP myself, but I do question its durability in the anime community's mind. Time will tell.

In any case, I had no issues with MIA's pacing at any point. I was so into the characters and the world that every episode flew by for me. I could have spent 10 episodes at the Seeker Camp and not been bored.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I wasn't trying to be sensationalist. Really. I was only expressing my opinion, that's it. I guess I should have presented/phrased my wording of it a bit better, and I apologize for accidentally causing trouble. That wasn't my intent. However, I honestly don't appreciate having words put in my mouth, being treated like a kid here, and being accused of "not understanding the context for why it uses its content." I did do my research on the subject, and am aware of Japan's cultural views on child nudity, even the usage of it in MIA. However, whatever my reasons for not watching it, please don't act as though my expressing my opinions over it and its content somehow makes me out to be some weird, uneducated person who doesn't know anything. You don't know me or what I'm like off the computer. My opinions and decisions are just as valid as everyone else's. If you like MIA, that's fine! If you don't for whatever reason, that's fine, too! I'm not trying to make it seem like people should hate MIA forever because of its content. I don't agree with some of its content, yes, but if you like it for whatever reason, that's totally fine! One of my friends loves Ranma 1/2, I don't and I've told him such, and he doesn't mind that I don't like it and doesn't force me to watch it.

Okay, that was a bit of a tangent. Again, I don't want to cause any drama. That's the last thing I want. Let's just put this to rest now. Please?
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:46 pm Reply with quote
@ Key - If that was your reasoning for your placement, I can see why you would do that. For me, I didn’t even notice the pacing issues in MiA until people mentioned it on here, but I didn’t even mind that part of the show at all. That was mainly due to the fact that I was so engrossed in what I was watching on screen. In terms of enjoyment, I had more of it with MiA than PP, but they are definitely both good shows that I hope get continuations at some point in the future.

@ Blood- - Agreed with both your points. About your first one, I quite liked PP as well and hope that plenty of people can remember it in time for the (fingers crossed) sequel.
Terrible90sDub

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the middle episodes. While they're not descending, it never felt like the plot stopped, especially since you learn more about (spoiler tag just in case) spoiler[ Lyza and Riko's origins]. Riko and Reg really did need a lot more preparation for what was ahead for them, and many of the off-hand comments during those episodes also reinforce the later scenes.

Although, I also loved Ozen and would kill for an prequel OVA (or game or side story or anything) just following Ozen and Lyza around, so I may be a little biased.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:47 pm Reply with quote
@kotomikun
@Blood

Made in Abyss becomes very dark where adaption left off.While not illustrated,the after affects of some very horrendous concepts are introduced,an R rating would be well deserved.

@relyat08
Spirituality is at the heart of Made in Abyss' story,but body horror is also an apt description.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I liked PP myself, but I do question its durability in the anime community's mind. Time will tell.

In any case, I had no issues with MIA's pacing at any point. I was so into the characters and the world that every episode flew by for me. I could have spent 10 episodes at the Seeker Camp and not been bored.

I still have not finished PP. I've only gotten through two episodes. It certainly did not grab me in the way MiA did. However, I do recognize from what I have seen so far that it is a quality show. I think the reason I haven't really gotten into it is that the girls are a bit too distant so far. I can't really become emotionally invested in them as of yet, despite the fact that it seems like they should have important depth to them. Maybe that comes later on, but so far it comes actoss as just more of a clever, slightly goofy period spy thriller show. I think I feel similar to how I felt about Baccano! which was also a clever, slightly goofy thriller period show.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:53 pm Reply with quote
@kotomikun

I would say Riko & Reg's survival training at the hands of Ozen was very necessary,fr the story and the anime's pacing.Riko had been just barreling through the upper levels,Ozen provided a needed layover and some background exposition.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:25 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
but so far it (Princess Principal) comes actoss as just more of a clever, slightly goofy period spy thriller show.

Not that I want to turn this thread into a PP discussion thread, but I just wanted to point out that the bolded part of your quote pretty much sums the show up for me and I've seen the whole thing. However, there are a few episodes that are elevated beyond that and have some very effective emotion and drama. It's a pity the series kind of ended on a "meh" note (for me).
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Silent-Ninja wrote:
Examples such as references to penises or Reg getting flustered at the sight of Riko getting undressed (simply for health reasons) kills the serious tension the story builds up at that point.

I'd argue both those scenes provide important information about the characters. If Reg is a "robot," why does he have a penis? Riko walking around nude in front of Reg and Marulk also gives us a deeper understanding into both her mentaility and the norms of her society. spoiler[She doesn't see either of them as boys. Reg is merely a robot, and she did not realize that Marulk is a cross-dressing boy.] This is a world, after all, where children are punished by hanging in the nude. The world of Made in Abyss is dangerous and cruel, both above and below the surface.
Silent-Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:25 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Silent-Ninja wrote:
Examples such as references to penises or Reg getting flustered at the sight of Riko getting undressed (simply for health reasons) kills the serious tension the story builds up at that point.

I'd argue both those scenes provide important information about the characters. If Reg is a "robot," why does he have a penis? Riko walking around nude in front of Reg and Marulk also gives us a deeper understanding into both her mentaility and the norms of her society. spoiler[She doesn't see either of them as boys. Reg is merely a robot, and she did not realize that Marulk is a cross-dressing boy.] This is a world, after all, where children are punished by hanging in the nude. The world of Made in Abyss is dangerous and cruel, both above and below the surface.

I'll admit that's an interesting perspective on that and I'm well aware that the world of Made in Abyss is cruel and unforgiving. I could make a wild guess about Reg's true identity but I'd rather not mention manga spoilers as this article is focused on the anime adaptation. The punishment scene towards the beginning of the show actually made sense in that context and was just only for a few seconds at most - that didn't bother me. Obviously underage children before puberty are going to be discovering their own sexuality which is completely normal - again, that doesn't bother me. My personal nitpick has nothing to do with the content of the jokes/references themselves; just with how they're placed in the story and kill the tension (the ones around the middle of the show). Hope that makes sense.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Silent-Ninja wrote:
kotomikun wrote:

Sincere apologizes for the misinterpretation. I had no idea. Their comment was right underneath mine which probably threw me off lol.

Yeah, it wasn't you. Sorry for the confusion.

CatSword wrote:
Blood- wrote:
I'm sort of curious... I'm not a parent so I don't have a great grasp of figuring out what content may be too upsetting for children to watch. Given some of the genuinely scary, harrowing and sometimes sad content, what do people think is the youngest a child could be and watch this without being scarred for life? I'm not sure I'd be comfortable recommending it to a child who wasn't at least 11.

That’d depend on the child to me. Some kids seem desensitized to everything in late elementary school, while others are still sensitive through middle school age. Anime Strike has eered on the side of caution and given the show a TV-14 rating.

I'm not usually in favor of protecting your children from explicit content too much, especially if it has emotionally or thematic value, but Made in Abyss is an awkward one. It certainly has the thematic and emotional stuff, but it's just really intense. I'd probably show kids Hunter x Hunter before I'd have them dig into this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5