• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Daily Streaming Reviews Schedule: Winter 2018

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Keep in mind that this version of ANN is for USA & Canada and VE is legally simulcasting in Canada.

I know that Canada is part of the North American anime market, but I have to think that the bulk of the readers of the N.A. version of ANN live in the U.S. I am happy for you and all the fans in other parts of the world that have legal access to Violet Evergarden. I am just frustrated that Netflix is screwing U.S. fans.

FilthyCasual wrote:
Let's be real, everyone watching it outside of the few people in Japan are pirating it anyways. That's just the reality for Netflix anime.

Except that in the case of Violet Evergarden Netflix is going to simulcast it weekly in other parts of the world, but no in the U.S.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
lebrel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:19 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
lebrel wrote:
Sigh... No Sanrio Boys, no Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens*, no DamePri, no IDOLiSH7, not even season 2 of Sword Boys... I thought at least Sanrio Boys would make the cut. The girl stuff doesn't get enough love....

If you look out in the blogosphere, there's bound to be somebody reviewing those shows. There's also usually forum threads here and at Crunchy. ANN is a central source, but it's by no means the only source. There's a lot of hard working bloggers out there.

I know, but I like the reviewers here and I like the one-stop-shopping aspect.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:29 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Keep in mind that this version of ANN is for USA & Canada and VE is legally simulcasting in Canada.

I know that Canada is part of the North American anime market, but it does not change the fact that I cannot watch it legally in my house. I am happy for you and all the fans in other parts of the world that have legal access to Violet Evergarden. I am just frustrated that Netflix is screwing U.S. fans.

I feel bad for US viewers, too, but you're missing my point. You questioned the appropriateness of ANN doing episode reviews of VE given that there is currently no legit US stream of it. My point is that this version of ANN officially covers the USA & Canada. See the button that says USA & Canada above? Therefore there is nothing inappropriate about ANN USA & Canada doing episode reviews.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:34 pm Reply with quote
The only anime I voted for in the list was Pop Team Epic.

(Partially because it's the only show in the list I'm interested in, because the only other show I care about this season wasn't in the poll anyway)
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:37 pm Reply with quote
TymersRealm wrote:
Wow...
Of the ten shows starting this season, eight of them are getting reviews. Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens and Katana Maidens missing the cut. I'm disappointed that Katana Maidens didn't get in, especially since it's gonna be a two-Cour run.

Of the thirty plus shows starting this season... Slow Start didn't get picked up for reviewing, and neither did Miss Koizumi....

JacobC wrote:
Nick could only cover one thing for us this season, so he had to finish out his run on March comes in like a lion, which is probably a better use of his time than Death March anyhow. Laughing

Ah, that explains it. Shame, I was hoping he'd snag A place farther than the Universe, which was practically written for him to review.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I feel bad for US viewers, too, but you're missing my point. You questioned the appropriateness of ANN doing episode reviews of VE given that there is currently no legit US stream of it. My point is that this version of ANN officially covers the USA & Canada. See the button that says USA & Canada above? Therefore there is nothing inappropriate about ANN USA & Canada doing episode reviews.

I realized that I misunderstood your point. I edited my post, but did not do it quick enough before you replied. I don't think it is inappropriate for ANN to cover EV because there will be an audience, but leaving U.S. fans unwilling to pirate outside the discussion does not sit right with me. You are free to disagree with me, but I still wanted to express my opinion.
CardamonPastel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:53 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Yeah the only shows that I thought might be worth covering that was left out was Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens and maybe Katana Maidens - but I didn't really expect to see the latter, given its ratings in the preview guide. Yowapeda's last season was struggling in the rankings so it isn't a surprise this season got passed up. Hanamaru didn't make it the first time so I didn't really expect the second season to be here either.

Didn't Hanamarus first season get reviewed? Unless you mean for the previews guide? I'm fairly certain they didn't review it for the preview s guide because no one had licensedit for sub's at the time. In fact, crunvhyroll didn't license it until like a week after it aired.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:55 pm Reply with quote
@ angelmcazares - I really do sympathize. I'd be ticked at Netflix too if Canada didn't have access to VE.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:00 pm Reply with quote
CardamonPastel wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
Yeah the only shows that I thought might be worth covering that was left out was Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens and maybe Katana Maidens - but I didn't really expect to see the latter, given its ratings in the preview guide. Yowapeda's last season was struggling in the rankings so it isn't a surprise this season got passed up. Hanamaru didn't make it the first time so I didn't really expect the second season to be here either.

Didn't Hanamarus first season get reviewed? Unless you mean for the previews guide? I'm fairly certain they didn't review it for the preview s guide because no one had licensedit for sub's at the time. In fact, crunvhyroll didn't license it until like a week after it aired.

Not unless they didn't link it on the show page on this site. They did episode reviews for Katsugeki though. They did end up reviewing Hanamaru's second season in the preview guide
Łukasz Kawosz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:20 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
No Ryuo's Work and yet somehow freaking Death March got in?

Everyone got spooked by like 20 seconds of nude kiddo. Do you think people who desperatedly want anime to get accepted in the mainsteam would cover such "loli filth"?
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Such a shame Sanrio Danshi and DamePri got left out while dumb shows like Pop Team Epic which is just an expensive shitpost gets voted. Knowing the source material, I just don't get why anyone would want it reviewed.
Zzshcl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Where is touken ranbu

Sigh
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
I’m a little surprised that Katana Maidens didn’t make the cut, but I guess I’ll just keep watching it for myself then.

I don't need a reviewer to tell me whether any given episode of Katana Maidens is good. It's the kind of show where, If you're in the mood to watch an episode or two, you're going to enjoy yourself no matter what.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ angelmcazares - I really do sympathize. I'd be ticked at Netflix too if Canada didn't have access to VE.

The biggest surprise to me through all of this is that ANN doesn't have a reviewer who is from Canada who can take the reigns. Not that Kim isn't perfectly capable in Japan, but if things like this happen consistently, it might make sense to have someone up north who can do it, since Kim already has plenty of work in Japan to take care of as well. Hey Blood-, you wanna give it a shot? lol
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:44 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Hey Blood-, you wanna give it a shot? lol

Sure! As long as ANN is prepared to pay my standard rate of $100 per word... which they would be CRAZY not to do - CRAZY!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6