• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Are American Comics Popular In Japan?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:53 pm Reply with quote
So the short answer is basically "no, not really". I figured as much since Japanese folks don't really "get" our superheroes.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:06 pm Reply with quote
American superheroes being a niche thing in Japan is not surprising. Japanese superheroes in America are not very big neither. Most people have no idea what Kamen Rider is.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:47 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
So the short answer is basically "no, not really". I figured as much since Japanese folks don't really "get" our superheroes.

Well, I'm from Europe and I don't 'get' them either. I too prefer self-continued stories by distinct authors with more normal-looking characters....
Europe as a whole does have more diversity in that area, especially in underground comics.

I do agree the occasional superhero flick can be a nice watch, but other than that, no...
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Well, I'm from Europe and I don't 'get' them either. I too prefer self-continued stories by distinct authors with more normal-looking characters....
Europe as a whole does have more diversity in that area, especially in underground comics.

I do agree the occasional superhero flick can be a nice watch, but other than that, no...

Continuities are a tricky thing in the comic business. Once one batch of storylines, arcs, or segments are complete, they have to start thinking about the next one to keep the profits rolling in. At least, that's what a friend who's far more versed in the actual industry has told me.

Normal-looking characters? Are you implying American superheroes all look like freaks or something? XD

It's interesting though. I have a Finnish friend I chat with regularly over messenger, and he thinks Marvel and DC superheroes are pretty cool, but he's a little bothered by the fact there are so many of them to keep track of.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Europe has a much larger and healthier comic market than America does. Manga has also been around longer in Europe than here, and also larger.

belvadeer wrote:
Continuities are a tricky thing in the comic business. Once one batch of storylines, arcs, or segments are complete, they have to start thinking about the next one to keep the profits rolling in. At least, that's what a friend who's far more versed in the actual industry has told me.

Depends on the hero. The big ones like Batman and Spider-Man always have multiple series going and can be a pain if written poorly. B and C tier heroes are much easier to follow, since they usually take long breaks between runs, like a TV series. 50 issues then it ends, then maybe 5 years later they'll do another 50 issue run.

Ironically, I still see people say similar things about manga. Like 'how do I get into One Piece?' Despite it being a linear chapter 1 to now journey. Even then people try to cut corners and ask which arcs they should skip.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:

TPB and digital sales don't matter. It's actually become a running joke in the industry to snark "but we don't know the TPB and digital sales!" because of how some people continuoisly stand by them. If a book fails in the direct market, it's considered a flop. So many series have been cancelled and deemed a financial loss despite fans standing by the TPB and digital sales, which again, we never know the actual numbers to. Physical still makes up the bulk of the profits, and TPB are unreliable compared to floppies. They lack the dedicated fans of the direct market, the 'otaku' if you will.. Really, it's no different from how a manga being axed or not will come down to how it does in the magazine, not the later tankobon releases.

I know, and I and other comics fans have long seen Marvel and DC's insistence on pretending it's still the 1980s as a problem. It is different from manga focusing on magazine rankings, because manga magazines have always been more mainstream and had wider availability than individual American comic floppies. In order to get a copy, you have to go out of your way to an old fashioned comic book store--they're not sold at every local 7-11's like Shonen Jump is. Ignoring TPB and digital that are more widely available is a really stupid sales strategy, and it shows. If anything's killing traditional American comics, it's the publishers themselves.
CaptainGallis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:17 pm Reply with quote
The reason Japanese manga and anime tends to do well is because of mass piracy if you ever been to the Caribbean,Latin America and some parts of America most fans have never even owned an anime DVD but right off the bat could tell you where to find a streaming service
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4