• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Advertorial: Survey: Tell us about your favorite anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Banjo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:44 pm Reply with quote
the only thing that I don't want to see for all my favorites anime is a remake, leave my classics alone. Cool
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Nothing to access the survey on web page oh well!
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Some of these titles are a bit iffy, Hunter X Hunter just got a remake and another season is not coming anytime soon as the arc that is after it is still ongoing.

Orphan already got a remake announced and will air in 2019 so why bother asking?

Magical Index s3 will air after the summer so why asking?

Sword Art Online just got a new spin-off and a sequel annocunced so no point ( however i would like the SAO be readapted using the progressive arc one day)

Shakugan no Shana and Monster are fully adapted and doen quite well, no need for a remake or sequel.

Some titles that are worth a sequal and/or a remake i would like are:
The Familiar of Zero, this would be a great final gift to the late author if they re-adapted the ln and also included the last 2 novels that were published after his passing.

Log Horizon, this i would love to have another season but the main ln has only recently started to publish again and it still far behind for another 2 cour. plus the tax scandal but that is not as a big controversy like the recent new life fiasco so there is a chance.

Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle. I was always irked that despite the filler, the few arcs from the main manga got animated as well as the ova released most of the other arcs but the final arc was never adapted, i would love it if they could remake it or at least adapt the last arc of the manga and give it closure.

Slam Dunk would do quite well if it was made in the modern era, sports anime have been making a comeback and not only remake it but they could finally adapt the last bit of the main manga that never got adapted in the original anime.

There are other series i would like sequels or remakes but these are the ones on my top priority list. Well all i can say is vote and maybe if the titles you voted for are in the top they might use it as a basis to make more if it. cross fingers.
azhanei

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I also got confused at first when really new titles were included, but I take it that "continuations" are on the table. On that score, more Nozaki-kun, please!

For those that would be reboots (plus continuation in some cases). I couldn't check Twelve Kingdoms and City Hunter enough. Twelve Kingdoms even more. The original anime had a different structure than the novels, but it worked and was exquisite. But the anime stops way short of a complete story because the novels weren't complete.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
It escapes me why fans of older titles would want remakes rather than license rescues. A noteworthy work needs no renovation to retain its value—as opposed to its lucrativeness or accessibility—whereas a pedestrian or compromised work is unlikely to be much better for being spruced up. We lose in both cases!

Because you can't own the license of a particular series, unless you make it (ie. co-produce it). And since old series have already been made, the only way to get your fingers into the cake batter is to make it yourself.
(It's not the same as Disney making all those video sequels just to renew copyrights and extend ownership on what their past studio made, but similar.)

And somebody's getting a little too ambitious for just "Old-series licensing", although bringing back the old ones would be nice, too.
Rokk3000

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:01 am Reply with quote
Some interesting choices. I'd seen about 3/4 of the titles shown, and picked some of those plus a few I haven't seen, that I'd just as soon see in a new version. I've just recently been watching the original Saint Seiya (a dreadful sub of it) and am near the end of the Asgard arc, which ends the first series. Some of those on the list I'd actually like to see a continuation rather than a remake, such as Log Horizon, but if they started over and then went beyond that would be all right. I'd even buy it again.

Hopefully the customer gets lots of useful feedback and ends up backing a few remakes/continuations I like,

I selected Twelve Kingdoms too. I bought the original but an updated version that goes to the end of the story would be great. Likewise, I bought most of City Hunter and saw all of the anime. A modern version could be hilarious if they strike a good balance of action, comedy and romance/innuendo.
Kaori Makimura

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:05 am Reply with quote
I know that everyone and their grandmother has been requesting this one for years but I don't give a crap.

Fruits Basket should be (needs to be) remade and fully adapted.
The story of forgiveness and healing and self acceptance, written so masterfully by Natsuki Takaya.
I think that I've probably cried every single time I've read it, i mean, the characters and how they grow and express their desperate need for a place in the world and their fear of loneliness... and how they find it. It's so beautiful, I still can't wrap my mind around how a manga managed to capture the human emotion so damn well.

And yes, I do actually like the original 2001 anime adaptation, but that barely covers a 4th of the story. It really ought to be remade.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:59 am Reply with quote
Okay, wow. No. Teasing a Twelve Kingdoms sequel/remake is beyond cruel.
casenumber00

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:45 am Reply with quote
Like some people have said before, I didn't vote for a few that I loved as I see they are great as they are and I see no improvement would be made compared to the original if a remake was made.
wastrel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:46 am Reply with quote
I used an actual email address that I will know if spam starts to get sent to it due to this survey. Owning your own domain name can be handy like that.

If I start getting spam to that specific email, I'll come back here and report.
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:19 am Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle. I was always irked that despite the filler, the few arcs from the main manga got animated as well as the ova released most of the other arcs but the final arc was never adapted, i would love it if they could remake it or at least adapt the last arc of the manga and give it closure.

If Yuki Kajiura is available and able to write a soundtrack equal to or better than the existing TRC OSTs Very Happy .

Eri Itoh and Kaori Oda will be at Yuki Kajiura live vol.#14 next month (not all singers at all concerts, but Kaori Oda will be at all concerts including the Anime Expo concert), so hopefully there will be some Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles material performed live.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:26 am Reply with quote
Like half of the pages I picked none of the above and the other half I only picked 1 option.

Some series are totally fine the way they are and don't need a re-make (yu yu hakusho)
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:20 am Reply with quote
Well, that was weird as my responses ranged from "Why? it's fine as it is." or "I don't think it needs to be remade, it needs to be licensed." to "Also, isn't Evangelion already being remade?"

There were some interesting ideas here. For example, a remade Slayers series would fix the plotting issues between the first season and fifth season. I didn't pick it because I knew somehow that the character designs just wouldn't work as well in the digital age... right, season 4 and 5. I did pick Urusei Yatsura because the first harem series was also the first harem parody and it should be revisited just to put the series in perspective. I also picked Kimagure Orange Road because I've always been fascinated by those character designs.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Well, that was weird as my responses ranged from "Why? it's fine as it is." or "I don't think it needs to be remade, it needs to be licensed." to "Also, isn't Evangelion already being remade?"

Again, I don't think anyone's ACTUALLY remaking things, I just think we're looking at a naive new entrepreneur who brushed off his suit, shined his shoes, picked up an empty sample case and said, "Well, here's the first big day of my new go-getting business career as a door-to-door salesman...What should I sell? Anime smile "
Someone wanted to get into "Anime", and figured, from looking at movies, that the road to riches was in "Reviving franchises yourself". It don't quite work like that, but it never hurts for those more fortunate to help educate the clueless.

Quote:
I did pick Urusei Yatsura because the first harem series was also the first harem parody and it should be revisited just to put the series in perspective. I also picked Kimagure Orange Road because I've always been fascinated by those character designs.

Okay, (sigh):
A) I'm not even going to pick on the whole "UY is NOT a 'harem' series" thing Anime catgrin + sweatdrop (it's "Girl in a closet", and even invented the genre, despite the word that Ataru shouts most often before having his face pounded into the floor),
B ) As noted, I don't think the company asking has ever heard of it either, but it was on a list (we can probably thank Discotek's Beautiful Dreamer disk for at least reminding them of it)...Unless it really is Viz asking, since they had an option on the other Rumiko series at one point, and
C) We DID get new 00's-era Urusei at one point, during the Rumik World revival, with the "Obstacle Swim Race" reunion episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJbaGoPLFfE
It's still as stylized, all-out, and screwball UY enough to differentiate itself from the straight slapstick farce of Ranma, but it's trying so hard to live up to its past "wacky" legacy, it's throwing too much at us--It's not as unwatchably hideous as (yeesh!) "Always My Darling"; it's got the flat washed-out animation of the Final Chapter movie but plays more like one of the later OVA episodes, eg. "Catch the Heart" or "Terror of Girly-Eye Measles": Funny, but too deliberately extreme and spastic to give the Lum & Ataru dynamic any time to perk up the episode, and more like tossing ALL the character tropes into the pot at once, because that's all an OVA episode had the chance to do in twenty minutes.
Even fresh off the series, the OVA episodes in general felt tired, artificial, and sketchily animated--You just can't go back to Tomobiki High again without Mamoru Oshii and Kazuo Yamazaki. Sad

(Although that didn't stop me from voting for UY anyway, since just on the off chance it really is Viz asking, we want to keep ramming this fan choice down their throats.)
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Many of these are far too contemporary for remakes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5