• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans Continuation Teased

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calsolum

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:00 am Reply with quote
RenRen94 wrote:
Despite the finality of how S2 ended, I'd definitely welcome a prequel that focuses on the Calamity War, and how Agnika Kaieru established Gjallarhorn with Gundam Bael. Also a closer look at Mobile Armors would be cool. Hell, I'd even take a sequel with spoiler[Akatsuki taking on a Gjallahorn led by Julieta.]

I'm firmly in the camp that enjoyed both seasons of IBO. Even though people may watch Gundam for the action, I felt that IBO was more about the characters. Their ambitions, motivations, ideals, and drive for survival. For every episode of action there would be two episodes focusing on the fallout from the battle and character development. That's why the final few episodes of S2 were gut-wrenching: because we had gotten to know the members of Tekkadan, it made it that much harder spoiler[to say goodbye as the group's main fighters and their leader died one by one. At least Tekkadan's deaths meant something, unlike shows where main character deaths are (IMO) inserted for shock value and were literally every subsequent episode after the next.]

Couldn't have said it any better myself.
I loved IBO and while i wish it had ended differently I'm far more than satisfied it ended the way it did.
As soon as i read "continuation" i was in full nope mode but if its a sequel I'm 100% down for that.
The original gundams were supposedly named after the Ars Goetia meaning theres 72 gundams in total and we've seen like 15? maybe 20 at most? Theres alot of gundams left to sell new toys and I would absolutely want to see the origins of the Calamity war and Agnika Kaieru founding Gjallarhorn.
Plus why did McGillis think Agnika Kaieru's 'soul' resided in Bael. It can't have been because he read it in a storybook as a kid.
Lastly The only mobile armor we see is theorised to be named after 1 of 10 angels in Judaism. If the themes of religion continue (and i don't see why it wouldn't) thats at least 9 other potential Mobile Armors to monetize- i mean explore.

tl;dr
Direct sequel would be a horrible idea but a prequel is desperately needed.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:11 am Reply with quote
Is the studio that handled IBO up to the task suggested by the prequels?
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:18 am Reply with quote
Meh - I’m just wanting the series in Super Robot Wars personally.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:18 am Reply with quote
Okay to be clear the final deaths of season 2 were pure unadulterated shock value. Don't anyone tell me that spoiler[ Lafter's death wasn't that cause it was & so was Orga's.] Just wanted to get that out of the window.

Also to those questioning how a sequel would work when season 2 had a finality I think your all forgetting what franchise this is. The UC is basically sequel after sequel or side-story where once a new evil organization is dealt with another rises to take its place & kick-start a whole new war or conflict & this all happens within only a couple of years after the previous show. Then there's Seed Destiny which started only a couple years after Seed which basically did that, new organization comes in & starts a whole new conflict/war. Don't forget the recently announced 00 sequel which is also a direct sequel to the original 00.

I'm just saying here, this has happened before so don't be surprised by it. Some new guy will come in maybe from one of the unimportant blocs or Mars maybe & start up a whole new war. If this does happen then hopefully they take out Rustal & Juilietta..... okay maybe just Rustal, that bastard deserves to die a miserable death & if he were to bite it then IBO's ending wouldn't bother me much anymore.
forexjammer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:21 am Reply with quote
This could go big if it is:
Calamity War Prequel
or
Almiria and Ride Counter Attack
Imagine if Almiria and Ride team up to kill Rustal, could be a fun show. Or even better, colony drop at Rustal place.
I genuinely hope it won't be about Atra's son.
Ulf Jarl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:42 am Reply with quote
Probably a prequel story considering the scenario has the best potential for more gunpla merchandize sales imo.

I am really surprised at the amount of people who are bothered by the Season 2 ending. The protagonists spoiler[made the same mistakes many of the previous villains made against them by trying to kill someone stronger without much of a plan] and this is the logical conclusion that also fits in with the realistic setting of the series. spoiler[When you try to kill someone in search of wealth and power, it is not surprising that individual is going to retaliate against you and make sure it does not happen again.] Seriously, people need to stop this double standards and get over it.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Okay to be clear the final deaths of season 2 were pure unadulterated shock value. Don't anyone tell me that spoiler[ Lafter's death wasn't that cause it was & so was Orga's.] Just wanted to get that out of the window.

OK, I can admit that spoiler[Lafter's death] can be considered shock value. It was a move used to rile up Tekkadan to action, and in turn riled up the audience.

spoiler[Orga's death] however, can be debated. spoiler[When destroying an organization, the logical solution would be "chop off the head and the body will die." Taking out the leader would cause the group to crumble from the inside, leaving them defenseless from an enemy attack. They must have been staking out places where Tekkadan frequented, that's the only way they were found so quickly. It's hard to tell if Nobliss Gordon was waiting specifically for a chance to take out Orga, or if he would have ordered his men to initiate the shooting of any Tekkadan members seen leaving the office. If he was waiting for that chance, then Orga's death could more likely be considered an assassination plotted behind closed doors where the audience was not privy to, which is why some viewers may consider his death to be for shock value]

This is just my hypothesis, feel free to agree or disagree. Please don't think I'm attacking your opinion.
Titus-A

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I tried to enjoy IBO but the presence Yamagi's character was not only off-putting and uncomfortable but completely unnecessary since nothing was done with it anyway. Did we really need some fujoshi in a show made primarily for boys and barrages of political and spurious social allegories? It just kept lurking the back of my mind and I was asking all the way through 'WHY?!! WHY?!! WHY?!! WHY?!! WHY?!! WHY?!! WHY?!!"

Yeah, now I know to avoid Mari Okada's work in the future.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:05 am Reply with quote
Titus-A wrote:
I tried to enjoy IBO but the presence Yamagi's character was not only off-putting and uncomfortable but completely unnecessary since nothing was done with it anyway. Did we really need some fujoshi in a show made primarily for boys and barrages of political and spurious social allegories?

Yes they did. I'd been consistently following Gundam since Wing first aired on Toonami, but I was pretty much done with the franchise after Sunrise and Bandai made it clear that they were going to devote way more resources to promoting shows like Build Fighters than shows like G-Reco. Then, Mari Okada's ability to write characters who appealed to more than just little kids brought people like me back into the franchise.

Since IBO Season Two aired, I've bought close to a hundred kits and gashapon, and I'd probably stop if I thought that they'd never try stuff like Yamagi's story arc ever again. I want every Gundam series to feel like a different show, and part of that means experimenting with elements that some might find off-putting.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:46 pm Reply with quote
BlackPoint. wrote:
Hard to imagine a sequel or perhaps they do make one that happens far into distant future perhaps. But well gonna wait and see personaly quite enjoyed both seasons.

the way how season two ended, ITS IMPOSSIBLE its going to be a sequel that's directly linked to that MESS of an ending with the whole "KILL EM ALL TOMINO STYLE!" approach!!

my best bet is that it will be a prequel that takes place during the calamity war, or if GOD FORBID its a sequel, its decades after the events of that disaster!

Titus-A wrote:
I tried to enjoy IBO but the presence Yamagi's character was not only off-putting and uncomfortable but completely unnecessary since nothing was done with it anyway. Did we really need some fujoshi in a show made primarily for boys and barrages of political and spurious social allegories? It just kept lurking the back of my mind and I was asking all the way through 'WHY?!! WHY?!! WHY?!! WHY?!! WHY?!! WHY?!! WHY?!!"

Yeah, now I know to avoid Mari Okada's work in the future.

any UC gundam fan would have told you that a long time ago considering that she was one of tomino's disciples!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ulf Jarl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:03 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Actually they did have a plan or at least McGillis did but that effectively went out the window due to Rustal being a villain sue and Gaelio who conveintly surivived his death outing McGillis's duplicity both of which screwed over McGillis and Tekkaden over more than they already were by the time the latter happened.

spoiler[When McGillis declared the beginning of his coup right after Tekkadan just finished dealing with Jasley's mercenary group, Orga had a choice of whether or not his group would join and assist McGillis in his coup d'teat in return for becoming rulers of Mars. That was the point of no return and despite the fact that they were supposed to be on equal footing as allies, Orga did not even ask McGillis about the specific details of the latter's plan until it was too late. When he found out that McGillis did not have one besides Muh Bael and that Tekkadan would have to actually fight all of Gallarjhorn this time, he unsurprisingly punched the latter in the face. It is McGillis's fault that he did not check Gaelio's status and while Gaelio wanted Rustal to wait indefinitely before revealing his treachery to the world, he did not come up with anything else other than what he already had and trying to use Tekkadan to brute force through the whole thing. If Tekkadan was smart enough to to stay out of Gallarjhorn's internal power struggle, they would not have lost anything and McGillis's coup would not have gone as far as it did.]
megazero

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:18 pm Reply with quote
The new series can be 5 years later just like what was done in Universal Century.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LvlfiveShipper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:33 pm Reply with quote
megazero wrote:
The new series can be 5 years later just like what was done in Universal Century.
Nah, I don't wantspoiler[ Atra's son] involved in war ... The sacrifice was too big just to give them a peaceful life, and then waste all of that just to have a young protagonist take center stage? BECAUSE YOU CAN BE DAMN SURE THEY WILL USE HIM ! I rather a prequel, there's a lot of material to work there already.
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:47 am Reply with quote
Conflicted, as I think for the most part, don't really need a sequel. Prequel a bit iffy on. Just depends on the characters. If they make use of certain ones that I was a fan of, I'll jump in.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4