• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Will There Ever Be A "Next Cowboy Bebop"?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Since going through this in real time in the late 90's early 2000's I still don't think Cowboy Bebop is this be all end all title people keep taking it as. As a whole it was good series, some episodes were very good and other where just OK. There is no denying that it had a huge impact on anime Fandom but that impact is mostly in the US. With that said it's pretty high handed to make the statement it will never be replicated.. By what standards? Honestly previously mentioned titles like Evangelion, and Escaflowne and the like were bigger overall then CB. Evangelion by itself was and still is the title to beat.
And if we are comparing its affects on US fans.. then where is the mention of Gundam W? Trigun? Both were equal if not Bigger then CB during the same time period.

Again I am not saying that CB was a bad show.. clearly it was not. But it's not what reading the people here talking about it say it is.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:56 pm Reply with quote
@DerekL1963:

I agree completely with your assertion that sales figures are not the whole story here, and I also agree with your example of Seven Samurai (among other Kurosawa works, for that matter). And likewise, today we still hear the influence of The Beatles, Elvis, and Michael Jackson even when we aren't listening to their work.

But I think Cowboy Bebop is a bit different. I think it's strength lies in the perfect storm of events which made it popular with a whole new generation of fans, introducing many more people to anime as a whole. In other words, its influence was not in technical details of animation or popularizing certain artistic styles, but rather it was in expanding the popularity of anime to many more people. I don't think there is much, artistically, which was new with Bebob, I think it was just a particular combination of things which happened to resonate with a lot of western fans: western names, a jazzy soundtrack, straightforward easy to follow, actiony enough to get people interested but not too graphic to show on TV. And perhaps most important: a good English dub airing at the exact right moment in time. I can't think of any shows which it directly influenced artistically though. The art style didn't seem particularly influential. Yoko Kanno was already an established musician before Bebop (and I would argue did better work on Macross Plus, which predated Bebop). I can't think of any character designs that were ripped off the way we had so many Rei clones after Evangelion... Perhaps this is just my ignorance talking as I can't claim to have watched every anime between 1999 and today, but I see that Bebop's influence was much stronger with fans (specifically, a certain generation of American ones) than it was with anime.

Last edited by AkumaChef on Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
Since going through this in real time in the late 90's early 2000's I still don't think Cowboy Bebop is this be all end all title people keep taking it as. As a whole it was good series, some episodes were very good and other where just OK. There is no denying that it had a huge impact on anime Fandom but that impact is mostly in the US. With that said it's pretty high handed to make the statement it will never be replicated.. By what standards? Honestly previously mentioned titles like Evangelion, and Escaflowne and the like were bigger overall then CB. Evangelion by itself was and still is the title to beat.
And if we are comparing its affects on US fans.. then where is the mention of Gundam W? Trigun? Both were equal if not Bigger then CB during the same time period.

Again I am not saying that CB was a bad show.. clearly it was not. But it's not what reading the people here talking about it say it is.

I held your exact same opinion for the exact same reasons. What this article enlightened me to is the fact that your perspective totally changes if you look at it from the perspective of an anime noob when Bebop aired stateside. Of course if you've already been watching a lot of anime because you were an established fan, had connections, or had money, then Bebop is not all that special. But, if you had seen very little anime before and then suddenly you saw Bebop--which was the case for a whole generation of American fans--that would put it in a totally different perspective. If you were in that group it must have looked like the greatest thing ever.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:13 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
But I think Cowboy Bebop is a bit different. I think it's strength lies in the perfect storm of events which made it popular with a whole new generation of fans, introducing many more people to anime as a whole. In other words, its influence was not in technical details of animation, but rather it was in expanding the popularity of anime to many more people.

Precisely! Thus, the argument over whether it was the "biggest ever" or "best ever" miss the forest for the trees. (Despite Justin going to great pains to head off those arguments.)

The attempts at refuting claims of "biggest ever" or "best ever" are (IMO) mostly strawmen and/or taking the claims of the few as representative of the whole. But since there's the undeniable facts... well, this is the internet and people gotta argue, and folks will argue over strawmen and trivialities if that's all that's available on the menu.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:02 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
AkumaChef wrote:
But I think Cowboy Bebop is a bit different. I think it's strength lies in the perfect storm of events which made it popular with a whole new generation of fans, introducing many more people to anime as a whole. In other words, its influence was not in technical details of animation, but rather it was in expanding the popularity of anime to many more people.

Precisely! Thus, the argument over whether it was the "biggest ever" or "best ever" miss the forest for the trees. (Despite Justin going to great pains to head off those arguments.)

The attempts at refuting claims of "biggest ever" or "best ever" are (IMO) mostly strawmen and/or taking the claims of the few as representative of the whole. But since there's the undeniable facts... well, this is the internet and people gotta argue, and folks will argue over strawmen and trivialities if that's all that's available on the menu.

Honestly do you even understand what a Straw man argument is? I see this term thrown around in an attempt to derail an alternative train of thought. I am seeing no "straw man" argument here.

straw man
Dictionary result for straw man
/ˌstrô ˈman/
noun
noun: straw man; plural noun: straw men; noun: strawman; plural noun: strawmen

an intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument.
"her familiar procedure of creating a straw man by exaggerating their approach"

The discussion here is all about viewpoint, with the inclusion of some highly exaggerated viewpoints.

To go ahead and make the claim that Anime in the USA would be completely different without it is getting pretty out there.

So let's back this train up abit... if Cowboy Bebop was so important.. then what about that which proceeded it.. Rewind it to 1985 and we have Robotech/Macross. I would argue that the RT series had a much bigger impact on fandom then CB. It very likely paved the way for any anime let alone CB to even get a shot in the US.

I think the clearest way to make the point is merchandising.. and I will use Gundam W as my example in this reference. With the argument that it opened so many people into anime, where was the merchandise? Circa late 90's early 2000's CB had a handful of items on shelves.. they were and still are Rare. On the flip side GW or even the Gundam franchise in general and most of an isle in the toy section of Walmart... and if Wally World isn't main stream.. then I don't know what is.

And on a side note Spike's Swordfish that was on shelves briefly was pretty damn cool.
I was never lucky enough to find the other 2 ships.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I remember the first time Cowboy Bebop was mentioned in Animerica. There was a paragraph in an early 1998 issue about two new shows coming in April 1998 from Sunrise and the main focus of the paragraph was the *other* anime, Brain Powerd, which got more preliminary hype both because it was from Yoshiyuki Tomino, the creator of Gundam, and because of superficial similarities to Neon Genesis Evangelion

The paragraph also briefly described Cowboy Bebop but it seemed clear that it was Brain Powerd that was predetermined by the Animerica writer to be "the next big thing" because anime fans were looking for "the next Evangelion".

From our vantage point of a little over two decades of hindsight, it's obvious that Brain Powerd, whether it was a good series or not (I have no idea, I don't think I ever saw more than a few minutes of it), hasn't had anywhere near the lasting cultural impact on anime fandom globally that Cowboy Bebop has had, but it's funny to think that Cowboy Bebop might have been overlooked if people hadn't been willing to give an anime series that wasn't much of anything like Evangelion a chance.

Last edited by Tenchi on Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The discussion here is all about viewpoint, with the inclusion of some highly exaggerated viewpoints.

You don't say...

Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
To go ahead and make the claim that Anime in the USA would be completely different without it is getting pretty out there.

So let's back this train up abit... if Cowboy Bebop was so important.. then what about that which proceeded it.. Rewind it to 1985 and we have Robotech/Macross. I would argue that the RT series had a much bigger impact on fandom then CB. It very likely paved the way for any anime let alone CB to even get a shot in the US.

That you say "Robotech/Macross" clearly shows that you're aware of the difference. And that awareness should lead to understanding of how it undercuts the argument you're trying to make. Macross, like Power Rangers, was cut to shreds and the shreds re-arranged to hide their origin to make it palatable to Western audiences. And the audience it was aimed at was independent TV stations looking for cheap programming to fill the afterschool block. None of those stations gave a rat about anime fandom, even if they knew it existed.

Quote:
I think the clearest way to make the point is merchandising.. and I will use Gundam W as my example in this reference. With the argument that it opened so many people into anime, where was the merchandise? Circa late 90's early 2000's CB had a handful of items on shelves.. they were and still are Rare. On the flip side GW or even the Gundam franchise in general and most of an isle in the toy section of Walmart... and if Wally World isn't main stream.. then I don't know what is.

o.0 Your argument is that a toy franchise produced a bunch of toys, and a standalone anime didn't... so that 'proves' the toy franchise had greater impact? That's... nonsensical to put it bluntly. And it flies in the face of reality - which is that imported Japanese robot toys (often disconnected from their roots) have been floating around toy aisles in the US since the mid 70's. That "merch" at Wal-Mart was aimed at kids, not anime fandom. (Which, in the 90's/early 2000's was still relatively small and niche.)
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I remember the first time Cowboy Bebop was mentioned in Animerica. There was a paragraph in an early 1998 issue about two new shows coming in April 1998 from Sunrise and the main focus of the paragraph was the *other* anime, Brain Powerd, which got more preliminary hype both because it was from Yoshiyuki Tomino, the creator of Gundam, and because of superficial similarities to Neon Genesis Evangelion

The paragraph also briefly described Cowboy Bebop but it seemed clear that it was Brain Powerd that was predetermined by the Animerica writer to be "the next big thing" because anime fans were looking for "the next Evangelion".

Think that search is what created "the FIRST Cowboy Bebop":
'97-'99 anime fans were still feeling the crunch, not just for being able to find any affordable anime to watch, but for trying to rally to anime's "serious" image, while everyone else in the Real World was making dopey trend-fatigue jokes about kids watching Pokemon, Sailor Moon and DBZ.

The "Evangel-ists" insisted on promoting how dark! and noir-ish! Spike's doomed fatalistic bounty-hunter adventures were, to try to Shock-and-Awe the new viewer into respecting serious-anime's storytelling authority...
While the "Just watch!" fans trying to sell new viewers on an unfamiliar show by promoting how familiar to other shows the concept was, by suggesting that Bebop was "Lupin III in SPACE!" ('Cause, y'see, Spike's cool, skinny and wears a jacket and big clunky shoes, he has a grizzled old partner and a backstabbing femme-fatale, and travels around looking for jobs-for-hire...)

In those days, a broadcast cable deal was everything, since new mainstream fans literally wouldn't be able to see the show without it. Any other persuasion had to be for the disks, and "No, really, go ahead and buy the disks, you won't be sorry!", which took a lot of doing at $29-35 for four episodes.
Would Bebop take off today in the free streaming Crunchyroll age, when the curious can sample anything at the click of a button? Well, it's a cool show, we'd like it, guess.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:40 am Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:

That you say "Robotech/Macross" clearly shows that you're aware of the difference.

I think that's a little unfair to say. I often write "Robotech/Macross"--not because I am ignorant of the difference, but because I don't know the people reading my post are, or because I want to make it clear that my point could apply to either one. I'm willing to give benefit of the doubt here.

Quote:
Macross, like Power Rangers, was cut to shreds and the shreds re-arranged to hide their origin to make it palatable to Western audiences. And the audience it was aimed at was independent TV stations looking for cheap programming to fill the afterschool block. None of those stations gave a rat about anime fandom, even if they knew it existed.

That's absolutely true. Though I'm not sure that it matters. Regardless of what the intent was, Robotech exposed a huge number of people in the west to Anime. Aside from a handful of "Tranzor Z" (itself a hack job of Mazinger Z) cartoons I saw when I was a little kid in the 80s, Robotech was my first window into anime. It didn't "hook" me at the time, but its influence in the US was indeed huge. There were Robotech toys on the shelves, Robotech video games, and the role-playing (miniatures) game was very popular too. I don't think it matters what the intent of the localizers was--the point is that they all introduced a lot of foreigners to anime.

Was, say, Robotech bigger than Cowboy Bebop in terms of attracting Western fans? I have no clue. I knew about one when I was a kid, and I knew about the other after I was already an established anime fan and was pretty much ignoring the domestic scene so I don't have a very good perspective on it. I haven't seen any sales data. And I don't think it serves any purpose to argue about which was more influential. After all, they are not mutually exclusive--both have been influential on the US anime fandom, as have many other titles too.

Does it matter that Robotech was a hack job while Cowboy Bebop was released largely unedited? Or that Gundam is fundamentally a toy franchise whereas Akira or GITS were not? I don't think think it matters in the context of this discussion. Fact is that they all attracted a lot of new fans. And if we want to start nitpicking influence then there's a mighty deep rabbit hole to go down. One could conceivably argue that the real key to Anime's popularity in the US was Devil Hunter Yohko, without which there would have been no ADV to license Evangelion....but now we're in silly territory for sure. I think it's enough to acknowledge that Bebop had a huge impact, as did may other shows too. Trying to state which show was the "most influential" seems like an argument which will never be settled.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:44 am Reply with quote
Rolling Eyes

Not going to debate Fanboyism..

Summary CB was a good series, however looking back 20+ years and without looking through rose colored glasses it's clearly not the godlike anime title some on here will have you believe.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:56 am Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Denigrating it because it's not important to current fans is a short-sighted mistake.

I don't think I was denigrating Cowboy Bebop or making straw man arguments but whatever. I'm definitely not saying it's bad because current fans don't like it or it's not ultra popular now.

AkumaChef wrote:
But I think Cowboy Bebop is a bit different. I think it's strength lies in the perfect storm of events which made it popular with a whole new generation of fans, introducing many more people to anime as a whole. In other words, its influence was not in technical details of animation or popularizing certain artistic styles, but rather it was in expanding the popularity of anime to many more people.

That's my thing and that's what I don't understand. Cowboy Bebop imo is not alone as being an impactful show that was really popular and greatly expanded the anime audience and introduced anime to a whole new generation of anime fan.

I think Cowboy Bebop was that for a certain generation, but I don't understand when people say things like when's the next one if "next one" is next mega popular show to greatly expand the audience and introduce a new generation of fans to anime.

How does stuff like Naruto, DBZ, FMA, Death Note, Attack on Titan, and My Hero Academia not fit that bill? That's what I don't understand. Why the "Cowboy Bebop" of every generation after Cowboy Bebop doesn't count and we say we're still searching for it? You have armies of people who got into anime from Naruto. Tons of people who got into anime from Death Note. I don't get why like entire generations of people love these shows as their gateway shows and some of these shows were more successful then Cowboy Bebop but people still say like when's the next show that's going to get people into anime and expand the audience?

To me that's not diminishing it's importance. To me, it's in that group of stuff like Akira, DBZ, Naruto, etc... those really important shows that greatly expanded the audience. I don't understand when people say it's the last show that did something like that and we're still waiting for something else to come along and do that. If I'm denigrating something, I'm denigrating the idea that nothing since Cowboy Bebop has been really huge and grew the audience and introduced a new generation of fans to anime.

Isn't convention attendance constantly going up? Post bubble, hasn't the industry pretty much been expanding every year and getting more and more popular and mainstream? All that kinda flies in the face of the idea that the last thing that was popular and got new people into anime and expanded the market came out in like 1999.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
That's my thing and that's what I don't understand. Cowboy Bebop imo is not alone as being an impactful show that was really popular and greatly expanded the anime audience and introduced anime to a whole new generation of anime fan.

I think Cowboy Bebop was that for a certain generation, but I don't understand when people say things like when's the next one if "next one" is next mega popular show to greatly expand the audience and introduce a new generation of fans to anime.

In my opinion CB is NOT alone in that regard. There are plenty of other shows which were also highly influential too, they were just popular at different times with different generations of fans. I think we hear a lot about CB for two reasons: first, the fans who were introduced via CB during it's US TV broadcast are at an age which makes them highly represented among people discussing anime online. (people who were introduced via later shows are still kids, people who were introduced well before CB are outnumbered) And second, I think we're hearing more about it right now since there is the 20th anniversary re-release and whatnot going on.

CB is just one of many highly influential shows when it comes to hooking new viewers in the US. And I think Justin did a great job explaining exactly why it was so special. Other shows were popular or influential for other reasons which I'm sure we could cover on a case-by-case basis. E.g. I have read that Sailor Moon was hugely influential because it's main characters were heroines saving the world rather than being sidekicks or "damsel in distress" tropes. GITS and Akira were both a big deal not only because of their production values, but also because it proved that animation could have a very deep meaning and deal with mature themes (in other words, it wasn't limited to cartoon silliness).
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:05 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

In those days, a broadcast cable deal was everything, since new mainstream fans literally wouldn't be able to see the show without it. Any other persuasion had to be for the disks, and "No, really, go ahead and buy the disks, you won't be sorry!", which took a lot of doing at $29-35 for four episodes.

Cowboy Bebop first two disks had a "generous" (for the time) 5 episodes since Bandai Entertainment USA released the 26 episodes as 6 volumes (5-5-4-4-4-4) rather than the typical 8 volume model that some other distributors like Pioneer used (4-3-3-3-3-3-3-4) though that's still much better than the 13 2-episode tapes that the VHS release of Cowboy Bebop got.

I wasn't buying blind but I'm in the minority who first saw Cowboy Bebop via VHS fansubs at an anime club in 1998 or 1999 rather than on cable (because, obviously, I couldn't have watched it on Adult Swim in Canada back in, when did it start airing on US cable... 2001, I guess?).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I wasn't buying blind but I'm in the minority who first saw Cowboy Bebop via VHS fansubs at an anime club in 1998 or 1999 rather than on cable (because, obviously, I couldn't have watched it on Adult Swim in Canada back in, when did it start airing on US cable... 2001, I guess?).

By the time Bebop was on disk, it was a little easier to find anime TV titles on disk-by-mail Netflix (how many remember trying to get a decent chronological rental of "Trigun" before Netflix went national in '01?? Shocked ), and I was able to rent much of Bandai, ADV and Pioneer/Geneon rather than depend on cable.
That was how I first saw "Outlaw Star" and "Azumanga Daioh" before buying.

At that point, DVD was still a minority except for the hardcore anime fans who WERE the original Early DVD Adopters, and for the more casual who weren't, Anime was almost literally Whatever Adult Swim Said it Was. If they said Trigun was anime, every new recommender told other new fans "You have to start with Trigun!"
Except for those folk watching Streamline Pictures, Project A-Ko and Beautiful Dreamer on Sci-Fi Channel, and they probably remember those as being on Cartoon Network, too.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Mr Kibbles wrote:
I guess I'm in the minority because Boogie Woogie Feng Shui is one of my favorite Bebop episodes. LOL I didn't realize that its supposedly hated so much.

Agreed. Such a fun episode!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5