• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045 3D CG Anime's Teaser Reveals Spring 2020 Debut

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChestPains

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:40 am Reply with quote
I just hope the story is worth anything.

I don't like Ilya for drawing the exact same girl over and over and this Motoko is just that, the same as everything else Ilya did. I don't like how static and "early CN TV spot" the backgrounds look. But most of all I dislike the lack of consistency.
ARISE was consistent in its three entries, Oshii's movies were consistent, and SAC gets the shit end of the stick? Come on. It makes me feel like absolutely nothing is carrying over from SAC and they're just using the name. Had this been a brand new GITS entry I'd be way more open to it the same way I was open to ARISE, and even while it fundamentally misinterpreted all the themes of GITS it still looked good with very well made sequences.

And to the user that said SAC never focused on visuals, that's very wrong. There were multiple active elements in the foreground and background, top notch action sequences most studios can't pull off today, and every single detail was expertly animated for the sake of making the world feel alive. "Visuals" don't mean Instagram effects on every frame or colorful artsy sequences, it refers to the full scope of visual elements that compose the presentation of the series.

We can't judge this yet based off the small teaser other than Motoko looking good but not being consistent with any of SAC at all. I just hope the actual animation isn't jittery and other backgrounds are more detailed than this PS2 cutscene level stuff.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:40 am Reply with quote
I do agree that perhaps we should all be patient and that the finished product may be much better than what we are seeing now. That said, I am not holding my breath.

The entire point of a short preview video like this is to generate hype among fans and to advertise the upcoming show. Its animation quality is more important than that of the show. Anybody, especially the creators of the video clip, would be fools to think that fans won't scrutinize every tiny detail. This is especially true for GitS, which has is well known for its mechanical design, attention to detail, and animation quality. And that is precisely why I don't feel bad criticizing the preview video: this is the kind of thing that the producers really need to get right. If anything, a preview video which is inviting that degree of scrutiny, and is being used to advertise the work, ought to be made with BETTER attention to detail than the show itself.

If they can't make a 30-second clip whose whole purpose is to advertise the show look good then what does that say about the much longer show as a whole?
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Kusanagi is not supposed to be MOE! LOL!!

Well this isn't the first time they've done this. Even Deunan from Appleseed got a similar treatment. Well, again this is the only animation that kind of works with these type of productions. If they had did something akin to Berserk (sheesh) then...they're be all kinds of issues. But as we know 3D animation isn't cheap. And the other issue is trying to get it to appeal to certain groups. But I don't know if this type of animation should've been used. Makes her seem to child-like. This is usually the type of design work you see garnering children shows. Now if they went the route of say Gantz:0 (WHY HASN'T ANYONE PICKED THAT UP YET?) then that might work even with quirks. But the important thing is we got the veteran Shinji Araki back on board. Apparently he's the only one since the late 80's that can do any of Shirow's work justice. So still in good hand.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I think what baffles me most about this teaser is how different Motoko's design looks in it compared to that first key visual we got which I actually liked that design.
partially

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Well given the simplest element of this sucks, I hold little hope. The backgrounds actually look really good. But given they couldn't even give the truck particle effects or any sort of skid while stopping, this looks like minimum effort animation.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I wish anime producers would figure out that "limited" CGI just does. not. work. At best it's passable, at worst you get something on the level of a PS1 cutscene. The time-honored shortcuts for 2D limited animation don't carry over into 3D, and if the budget is limited, I'd almost always prefer the former. I know this isn't a final product, but if it's supposed to get people hyped...woof.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:33 pm Reply with quote
That's true, the more they continue to go full CG the more they should just start experimenting with going all-in on it and just start using the advantage of full framerate and not limit it to the hand drawn shortcuts of manipulating the framerate, which so often get complaints for looking jumpy or stuttery except when they are extra careful.

Also, like Chrno2 said Gantz:0. More attempts should be made at the eyecatching style used for that (and that thing should be picked up for home release by now too dammit lol).

Shinigami-Seishou wrote:
The real question is...Yoko Kanno doing music? That's all I want

Right? It'd be amazing if they could get her back for new GITS music.
This and getting the SAC dub cast back together for it are my two biggest wish-list things.
JustinTaco

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:58 pm Reply with quote
ronri wrote:
Not really keen on this artist's fan work and I always felt that their style was a mismatch for GitS. Moving past that, the CG quality of this teaser alone doesn't look promising.

What do you expect from a production that entrust their character design to someone who made their audience/money by selling traced art?
Banshou

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:
I'm sorry, did you want to rethink that line of reasoning? Stand Alone Complex was all about visuals. Crack open any of the artbooks and you'll see pages upon pages of detailed and intricate backgrounds, not to mention well-choreographed fight scenes. So again, tell me how it isn't prioritizing visuals.

I didn't mean to imply that the visuals were bad, far from it, they look quite appropriate for a ~$300k-an-episode series. They are of high quality visually, but design wise, they are very plain and grounded (as is fitting the tone of the series), which is why I said they were not prioritized; the majority of the thought put into this show was in it's writing, which is why I am curious as to why so many people are upset over unimpressive visuals when the primary strength of this series has always been it's ideas regardless of how they were presented.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Banshou wrote:
They are of high quality visually, but design wise, they are very plain and grounded (as is fitting the tone of the series), which is why I said they were not prioritized; the majority of the thought put into this show was in it's writing, which is why I am curious as to why so many people are upset over unimpressive visuals when the primary strength of this series has always been it's ideas regardless of how they were presented.
I think a lot of it is due to the popularity of the Mamoru Oshii films which are probably the most visually impressive entries in the franchise combined with a general bias in favor of 2D animation.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:31 am Reply with quote
Banshou wrote:
which is why I am curious as to why so many people are upset over unimpressive visuals when the primary strength of this series has always been it's ideas regardless of how they were presented.

Everybody has their own reasons for enjoying a show. While I like the majority of the GitS stories, I don't think most are particularly original; they are many of the same ideas that sci-fi and cyberpunk authors have been using for decades, perhaps interspersed with a few references to current events. In my opinion the highly detailed and realistic mechanical design is a huge draw to GitS....which is why I really notice when they get it wrong.

My favorite GitS is Innocence, and that's specifically because of the visuals.
Logicoma

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:45 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
Lann wrote:
Banshou wrote:
Am I the only bothered by how much everyone is focusing on the way this looks, when Stand Alone Complex was never really a show that prioritized visuals?

Visuals are all we have to go on for now. Its an indicator that the rest of the production could be as troubling.

We also have the random jab at capitalism in the video description; so I lost most of my hopes for the plot as well if that gets reflected into the production. The cg looks pretty bad, I said evangelion in school quality, but this being a netflix show it's more like the crappy saint seiya cg series they released recently.

That was a huge red flag for me, too. GitS has always discussed politics, but it's always been pretty sophisticated, and it's purpose was world-building, not pushing an ideology. Pretty much the opposite of what we usually see in Western entertainment these days. We'll have to see how it plays out, as we still know virtually nothing about the series. I'm not optimistic, though, given that I already felt that something like this would happen. I think Netflix money probably comes with a lot of strings attached.

I'm actually a big fan of Sola Digital arts, although what's on display isn't the best of their work. I figured they wouldn't be given the budget to match the visual likes of their films, but I was hoping it would be a bit better than this. Still not a deal breaker for me, though.
JustinTaco

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Logicoma wrote:
maximilianjenus wrote:

We also have the random jab at capitalism in the video description; so I lost most of my hopes for the plot as well if that gets reflected into the production.

That was a huge red flag for me, too. GitS has always discussed politics, but it's always been pretty sophisticated, and it's purpose was world-building, not pushing an ideology. Pretty much the opposite of what we usually see in Western entertainment these days.

I'm sorry but

Logicoma

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:58 pm Reply with quote
JustinTaco wrote:
Logicoma wrote:
maximilianjenus wrote:

We also have the random jab at capitalism in the video description; so I lost most of my hopes for the plot as well if that gets reflected into the production.

That was a huge red flag for me, too. GitS has always discussed politics, but it's always been pretty sophisticated, and it's purpose was world-building, not pushing an ideology. Pretty much the opposite of what we usually see in Western entertainment these days.

I'm sorry but

Um..yeah. That's not what I said. I guess you see that I have a different opinion than you, so you have to try to dunk on me with memes, instead of having a conversation. Have a nice weekend, man.
TexZero

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I just wish they had stuck closer to the concept art that was teased earlier in the year.
The moefication of GiTS is all sorts of messed up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5