• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Biggest Badass Forum Tournament

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:44 pm Reply with quote
As of my votes here is where we stand with the matchups with 3 more days to vote.

A1 Claire Stanfield 3 vs. A34 Umibozu 3

A2 Balalaika 6 vs. A33 Saki Asamiya 0

A3 "D" 5 vs.A32 Tsunayoshi Sawada 1

A4 Balsa 4 vs. A31 Busujima 2

A5 Riza Hawkeye 3 vs. A30 Satoru Gojo 3

A6 Re-L Mayer 4 vs. A29 Shino Kuribayashi 2

A7 Guts 5 vs. A28 Dio Brando 1

A8 Lancer 4 vs. A27 Gabimaru Rikiya 2

A9 Alita 4 vs. A26 Moutoku Sousou 2

A10 Broly 1 vs. A25 Cobra 5

A11 Alucard 5 vs. A24 Ains Ooal Gown 1

A12 Leon McNichols 4 vs. A23 Bang 2

A13 Terry Bogard 4 vs. A22 Isaac Netero 2

A14 Jubei Kibagami 6 vs. A21 Kisuke Urahara 0

A15 Kyojuro Rengoku 3 vs. A20 Erza Scarlet 3

A16 Itachi Uchiha 1 vs. A19 Eikichi Onizuka 5

A17 Reiner Braun 1 vs. A18 Sanosuke Sagara 5

Btw, I need you Hikari to bold your selection in the A14 Jubei Kibagami vs. A21 Kisuke Urahara matchup. I figure you simply overlooked that one.

I also need you akumachef to eventually cast a vote in the A15 Kyojuro Rengoku vs. A20 Erza Scarlet match as well.

Thanks.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:10 pm; edited 3 times in total
Hikari14

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:21 am Reply with quote
Reiner: Sorry, I tried. R.I.P
Akumachef: From what little I saw of Erza, she deserves a win in this instance. Granted, I don't know other candidate at all, and my knowledge of Erza isn't that exhaustive either. So yea...
Psycho 101: I vote for Jubei.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:26 am Reply with quote
I edited my original post on the first page to reflect my vote for Kyojuro vs. Erza. I watched as much as I could last night but I was too tired to post when I was done.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:10 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101, I noticed that there's a vote missing for A1 Claire Stanfield vs A34 Umibozu.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Psycho 101, I noticed that there's a vote missing for A1 Claire Stanfield vs A34 Umibozu.

Thanks. I planned to do a double check once each round ended to make sure each contestant had the proper amount of votes. I'll just go ahead and do it now for what we have already. Make my life easier for this round. I'll add Hikari's missing vote and akumachef's as well, which I had accounted for.

A slight change to the mini game. Blood is dropping out as there are time constraint issues for him and he probably won't be able to vote in every bracket. Certainly understandable. I am adding another user who had PM'ed me before the deadline about joining but I had to think about it. The user Sentire will be joining the minigame, however she will not be eligible to claim to prize at the end. So while she and I are both participating, neither of us will "count" at the end when it comes time to see who wins or not. The reason for this is it could be seen as a conflict of interests. She is actually my gf and we live together so I don't want to have anyone worry about favoritism.

One other point I forgot to make previously. Nobody is required to vote in every bracket. Users are more than welcomed to simply vote in the brackets they are interested in, or have time for. With the guideline that you must vote for each matchup within that bracket. So if you want to participate but can't do it each week that is ok, we're happy just to have the extra participation when you can give it. I updated the first post with this.
Sentire

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Hi there - here are my selections based not only my own feelings of the characters, but also some of the descriptions/explanations from the nominations and other votes.

There were a couple of no-brainers for me, but a few of them were quite tough! I think there were two matchups in which I wasn't very familiar with either character... so reading what people had referenced in their nominations and in their voting helped (besides MAL/online sources).

A1 Claire Stanfield vs. A34 Umibozu

A2 Balalaika vs. A33 Saki Asamiya

A3 "D" (Vampire Hunter D) vs.A32 Tsunayoshi Sawada

A4 Balsa vs. A31 Busujima

A5 Riza Hawkeye vs. A30 Satoru Gojo

A6 Re-L Mayer vs. A29 Shino Kuribayashi

A7 Guts vs. A28 Dio Brando

A8 Lancer (Cú Chulainn) vs. A27 Gabimaru Rikiya

A9 Alita vs. A26 Moutoku Sousou

A10 Broly vs. A25 Cobra

A11 Alucard vs. A24 Ains Ooal Gown

A12 Leon McNichols vs. A23 Bang (Silver Fang)

A13 Terry Bogard vs. A22 Isaac Netero

A14 Jubei Kibagami vs. A21 Kisuke Urahara

A15 Kyojuro Rengoku vs. A20 Erza Scarlet

A16 Itachi Uchiha vs. A19 Eikichi Onizuka

A17 Reiner Braun vs. A18 Sanosuke Sagara
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Welp, after trying to read up on Rengoku, from Demon Slayer, I unknowingly came across a big spoiler -_-.

So now, I'm just gonna' jump the gun and read the Infinity Train arc in manga form, since I don't know when the heck the movie is gonna' come out domestically.

Stay tuned for my report.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:52 am Reply with quote
As a general thought, I would appreciate seeing series names associated with characters in the postings. There are a handful of these names I couldn't place, so some of my votes are based on just knowing one character.

Bracket A - Round 1

A1 Claire Stanfield vs. A34 Umibozu

A2 Balalaika vs. A33 Saki Asamiya

A3 "D" (Vampire Hunter D) vs.A32 Tsunayoshi Sawada

A4 Balsa vs. A31 Busujima

A5 Riza Hawkeye vs. A30 Satoru Gojo

A6 Re-L Mayer vs. A29 Shino Kuribayashi

A7 Guts vs. A28 Dio Brando

A8 Lancer (Cú Chulainn) vs. A27 Gabimaru Rikiya

A9 Alita vs. A26 Moutoku Sousou

A10 Broly vs. A25 Cobra

A11 Alucard vs. A24 Ains Ooal Gown

A12 Leon McNichols vs. A23 Bang (Silver Fang)

A13 Terry Bogard vs. A22 Isaac Netero

A14 Jubei Kibagami vs. A21 Kisuke Urahara

A15 Kyojuro Rengoku vs. A20 Erza Scarlet

A16 Itachi Uchiha vs. A19 Eikichi Onizuka

A17 Reiner Braun vs. A18 Sanosuke Sagara
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:12 pm Reply with quote

Kyojuro Rengoku (in a nutshell, with only a slight spoiler from the Infinity Train arc; a scenario description to set some context for the reply he makes):
----------

Before becoming the Flame Hashira of the Demon Slayer Corps, Kyojuro learned an important lesson early on in life from his mother:

"Do you know why you were born stronger than other people? So that you can help people weaker than you. Those blessed with more natural talent than others must use their strength for the good of the world, for other people. It is unforgivable to use strength granted by Heaven to hurt others and empower yourself. Helping the weak is the duty of those born with strength. You must take your responsibility seriously and do your duty.. And never, ever forget that."

Kyojuro would follow this mantra to heart. Even in the face of an offer to become a demon (specifically, to live hundreds of years beyond a normal human lifespan so he can further hone his skills and strength), he replies:

"Growing old and dying is what gives meaning and beauty to the fleeting span of a human life. It's precisely because we age and die that our lives have value and nobility. Strength is not a word that means much in regard to flesh."
----------------------------------

There are some actions he takes that I don't wanna' spoil, so this as much as I'm willing to give away. Oh, but he is definitely a badass, in my book! He has an "incorruptible" kind of demeanor and is very determined for the entirety of his presence throughout the arc. He has a very defined sense of conviction, as referenced above, that he sticks to 1000% (and yes, I did mean to exaggerate it to a thousand).

That's all I will say. And I also can't wait to actually see the movie. It's gonna' be so awesome!
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
As a general thought, I would appreciate seeing series names associated with characters in the postings. There are a handful of these names I couldn't place, so some of my votes are based on just knowing one character.

I can do that.

Adding in the new votes now.

Edit: Here are the updated standings with the new votes. We're still sitting at 2 tied matches. We were at 3. This will be interesting to see if right in the first bracket we have our first sets of ties or not. Wait and see if anyone else jumps in to vote or if someone changes a vote. Getting very interesting.

A1 Claire Stanfield 5 vs. A34 Umibozu 3

A2 Balalaika 8 vs. A33 Saki Asamiya 0

A3 "D" 7 vs.A32 Tsunayoshi Sawada 1

A4 Balsa 6 vs. A31 Busujima 2

A5 Riza Hawkeye 3 vs. A30 Satoru Gojo 5

A6 Re-L Mayer 5 vs. A29 Shino Kuribayashi 3

A7 Guts 7 vs. A28 Dio Brando 1

A8 Lancer 6 vs. A27 Gabimaru Rikiya 2

A9 Alita 6 vs. A26 Moutoku Sousou 2

A10 Broly 1 vs. A25 Cobra 7

A11 Alucard 7 vs. A24 Ains Ooal Gown 1

A12 Leon McNichols 5 vs. A23 Bang 3

A13 Terry Bogard 5 vs. A22 Isaac Netero 3

A14 Jubei Kibagami 7 vs. A21 Kisuke Urahara 1

A15 Kyojuro Rengoku 4 vs. A20 Erza Scarlet 4

A16 Itachi Uchiha 2 vs. A19 Eikichi Onizuka 6

A17 Reiner Braun 1 vs. A18 Sanosuke Sagara 7

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:19 am Reply with quote

Satoru Gojo:

Although Jujutsu Kaisen is quite new, anime-wise, and they haven't revealed much about his actual motivations and/or convictions, I would still like to make a case for him.

I'm trying to keep all my arguments mainly focused on personality or character traits, that is to say, how they behave, present themselves, or any kind of relevant backstory details and how those might've helped build that character from a literary perspective.

However, as I mentioned in my vote for Gojo-sensei, (and for Lancer as well), there are some cases where it's not so much about backstory or how certain plot points may have affected them, but the innate amount of swagger in those characters' attitudes and movements; specifically, the way they talk and act.

For Lancer, I stated that his attitude is epitomized by the way he fights. You hardly learn a thing about his heroic spirit or his actual beliefs; he's just a Servant summoned to battle at his Master's will. If you watch the way he physically presents himself through demeanor and intent, you can feel a kind of killer instinct that's difficult to convey with words. Seeing them move and hearing them talk for yourself is the best way to know it. I feel the same can be said for Gojo (as well as a good majority of characters in this tourney).

I think I'll refer to the term as "badass aura observation," where seeing (and/or hearing) is believing. It's less so about powers or abilities, and more about the subtleties in habits and gestures. If you can actually add any literary analysis on top of that to support or refute them, more power to ya'. But I think for the characters that simply don't have a lot of writing to them, this will be neat kind of alternative descriptor.

Find a really suitable pic, gif, and/or video that you think helps capture their supposed swagger, and do your best to make your case.

Below is a 90 second clip from the beginning of Episode 02.

Conext: the main character, Yuuji, ate the severed finger (one of twenty) of a legendary Cursed Spirit named Sukuna so it wouldn't be absorbed by another, weaker, Spirit. Consuming the finger would've given the Spirit a huge boost in power and led to the deaths of Yuuji's friends and, probably, Yuuji himself.

Yuuji, has the apparent power to actually contain and control Sukuna and not be outright possessed by him. Gojo tells Yuuji to try and let Sukuna out for ten seconds, then bottle him back up. And in those ten seconds, Gojo spars with Sukuna.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyPf5ipLFkU
----------------------------------

With all due respect to Riza for her very noble personality traits, this guy's on a whole other level in terms of aura, prowess, and swag. You can feel it in the way he talks and acts. I would love to see him matched up with Mustang, though. That would be really fun to discuss.

Put in those swing votes! Vote Gojo!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Hey gang:

I've already let Psycho101 know this but I'm withdrawing from the tournament. Here's the reasons I gave him:
Quote:

Two basic reasons for withdrawing:

1) I'm an idiot. I should have understood right from the beginning that of course the tournament was going to be one big spoiler fest as people defend their various votes. And I'm a guy who likes to know as little about a show as possible going in. Nominations have been made on a number of shows I really want to see at some point. Again, I should have been able to figure this out right from the start, but I obviously had a "duh" moment.

2) Probably even more important than above, I am suffering from a severe lack of energy for making the type of posts I'd need to make to participate properly. I barely summoned the energy to nominate a single character. The thought of writing numerous posts defending my votes makes my soul quake.

But thanks for Psychol101 for resurrecting this contest and thanks to all those who are playing. I hope everybody has a ton of fun!
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Alright Tony, you convinced me. I am sad to have to vote against Riza (she is one of my favorites from FMA) but that clip and reasoning did sway me. I'll be changing my vote from Riza to Gojo.

Using your own logic and moniker for it, badass aura observation, I will say the same can be applied to Erza. She exudes this confidant swagger and mentality of she will simply overcome whatever is put before her. Albeit in a bit of a different manner than Gojo, but the same theory applies. With the various armors she can use she often exudes a sort of calm badass aura that puts enemies on notice. Those smart enough to pay attention anyways. Just ignore the over sexualization of her character and said armors. It's not her fault lol.

So still a few hours left to vote team Erza!!!!

I will get the next bracket up in a little bit while the last few hours of voting in this round tick down.

On an a somewhat related note Gojo's name makes me think of someone I can't believe I forgot to nominate. Gojyo from Saiyuki. He might not have made it far against some in this tournament but I wish I had remembered him earlier. Let him represent his homies from Saiyuki. Maybe next time. Not as if we don't have enough characters out there to do this same tournament like 2 or 3 more times with no repeats if we wanted to lol. Ironically right on the sidebar is a link for the "Saiyuki Manga's 'Even a Worm' Arc Gets TV Anime by Liden Films" article. Thanks universe for pointing out I dropped the ball.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:37 pm Reply with quote
And voting for the first round in Bracket A is now closed. There were some blow out victories, but also some really close ones. We had a few that were going back and forth until the end. I expected both Dio and Ains to make it to later rounds initially. Then I saw how their matchups fell after I got people situated and felt bad. They both had the poor luck of really tough opponents right out the gate. I also am surprised personally with a few of the outcomes. While the vast majority of the winners this round were the higher seeded nominations, I honestly expected several different outcomes over all. But then again, you never know which way the wind will blow with these things. I'll update the mini game numbers over the next day or two. Here are the final results from the opening round for Bracket A

A1 Claire Stanfield 5 vs. A34 Umibozu 3

A2 Balalaika 8 vs. A33 Saki Asamiya 0

A3 "D" 7 vs.A32 Tsunayoshi Sawada 1

A4 Balsa 6 vs. A31 Busujima 2

A5 Riza Hawkeye 3 vs. A30 Satoru Gojo 5

A6 Re-L Mayer 5 vs. A29 Shino Kuribayashi 3

A7 Guts 7 vs. A28 Dio Brando 1

A8 Lancer 6 vs. A27 Gabimaru Rikiya 2

A9 Alita 6 vs. A26 Moutoku Sousou 2

A10 Broly 1 vs. A25 Cobra 7

A11 Alucard 7 vs. A24 Ains Ooal Gown 1

A12 Leon McNichols 5 vs. A23 Bang 3

A13 Terry Bogard 5 vs. A22 Isaac Netero 3

A14 Jubei Kibagami 7 vs. A21 Kisuke Urahara 1

A15 Kyojuro Rengoku 4 vs. A20 Erza Scarlet 4 - TIE

A16 Itachi Uchiha 2 vs. A19 Eikichi Onizuka 6

A17 Reiner Braun 1 vs. A18 Sanosuke Sagara 7

You can see who the winners are based on the votes, but I bolded the winners regardless. Since Erza and Rengoku remained tied until the very end they will both go on and face an opponent in a 3 way match. Since Rengoku is a higher seed his seeding will determine who their opponent is as if only Rengoku had moved on. The winner from that 3 way match when it comes up will move on. Unless of course that match also ends in some sort of tie lol. We'll have to wait and see in a few weeks when the 2nd round of Bracket A happens.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Now that Round 1 for Bracket A is over with, it's time for the next round in the tournament. Up next is the opening round for Bracket B. There's some interesting matchups that I think will be close. We got a battle of the badass blondes with Mami and Maka, and some other matches that honestly if I was a betting man I wouldn't know where to put my money. So with that, here's the next set of matches.

B1 Levi Ackerman (Attack on Titan) vs. B34 Keiko (Doomed Megalopolis)

B2 Hei (Darker Than Black) vs. B33 Shoto Todoroki (My Hero Academia)

B3 Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) vs. B32 Brandon Heat / Beyond the Grave (Gungrave)

B4 Revy (Black Lagoon) vs. B31 Kazuki Fuse (Jin-Roh)

B5 Roy Mustang (Fullmetal Alchemist) vs. B30 Masamichi Fujisawa (El-Hazard)

B6 Char Aznable (Gundam) vs. B29 Gon Freaks (Hunter X Hunter)

B7 Priss Asagiri (Bubblegum Crisis) vs. B28 Edmond Dantes (Gankutsuou)

B8 Archer (Emiya) (Fate franchise) vs. B27 Nicholas Wolfwood (Trigun)

B9 Hiko Seijuro (Kenshin) vs. B26 Kurau (Kurau Phantom Memory)

B10 Vegeta (Dragonball franchise) vs. B25 Jean Jacquemonde (Spriggan)

B11 Genos (One Punch Man) vs. B24 Motoko Kusanagi (Ghost in the Shell)

B12 Tomoe Mami (Madoka Magica) vs. B23 Maka Albarn (Soul Eater)

B13 Dark Schneider (Bastard) vs. B22 Byakuya Kikuchi (Bleach)

B14 Shinobu Kocho (Demon Slayer) vs. B21 Escanor (7 Deadly Sins)

B15 Kyouma Mabuchi (Dimension W) vs. B20 Saeko Busujima (High School of the Dead)

B16 Yomiko Readman (The Paper) (R.O.D.) vs. B19 Ryo Saeba (City Hunter)

B17 Father Anderson (Hellsing) vs. B18 Leone (Akame ga Kill)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 21