• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:24 pm Reply with quote
They specifically mentioned that an important reason they have polygamy was about ensuring the survival of a persons house, so I take that to mean that it's more commonly a noble (and above) kind of thing.
We also haven't been given the impression that most people are marrying in such high numbers to one person. The King isn't usually the base line after all lol
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:26 pm Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
...However, I would point out that this show isn't all about economics...
...there is economics everywhere. And the political part hasn't grabbed me because barely anyone ever disagrees with the protagonist... talking about how the little girl needs to be protected and hidden because of her useful, war-ending abilities, and then he puts her in front of the magic television and blasts her face to every man, woman and child in the country. Like whut...
Not saying there isn't a good amount about econ in here because there is. However, you have the order of events reversed relative to Wolf Girl, she was presented to the world (with her face) as having a beast communication ability but her "war ending" secret was disclosed to Kazuya alone at the presentation as a surprise and not prior. The "inner circle" agreed readily to play it cool and put her up in the castle not because "Kazuya is always right" but because that makes very good and obvious sense, even if IRL That is why I like the show, the writer hasn't had Kazuya do something really dumb yet...
Cryten

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I would guess that he is thinking of politics of the kind where you get multiple of various interests, strengths and clout competing for favours and deals. Rather then just having the harang people to do what the MC see's as sensible. The complications of doing something when 10,000 people your trying to get to do it have self interested things they are gonna do without telling the ruler.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:03 pm Reply with quote
^So, is your concept of typical political operation that the leader issues an order and it is the responsibility of a cadre of "harang people" (ministers) to harang everyone else in the country into obeying assuming the population will all act to disobey? Have to say, that sounds like one obnoxiously obstinate society and the MO fits some countries from what I've heard, just not all. Wink

In most democracies IRL, as in this story, it is accepted that the people will act in their self-interest but they aren't so stupid as to not recognize when governmental officials' directions will coincide with one or more of those self-interests or if the direction will lead to trouble. Thus, leaders only have to issue directions that will align with the self-interests of the majority or that make sense to most people to get everyone to obey and "harang people" aren't needed.

My observation is that this show intends to detail how one political system can work from "top to bottom" levels and how it interacts with one economic system across those levels as well as interacting with the interests of other countries.
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
^So, is your concept of typical political operation that the leader issues an order and it is the responsibility of a cadre of "harang people" (ministers) to harang everyone else in the country into obeying assuming the population will all act to disobey?

No. Just the self interested and doing many things themselves. Interpretation, self interest, corruption, noble ideals, religion, conflicting ideologies, incompetence, superiority, chivalry and honour. Basicly the conflicting ethos and drives of a group of people.

And I was simply suggesting that the previous commentator was likely expecting some more of the complications of leadership and politics.

For example in building a road to a port town you would have interests in supply of materials, villages and towns who some would want additional traffic and others detest it. Possibly upset balances of power and opinions of thing of higher priority. Now of course getting into all of that wouldnt be fun, but occasional competing interests could make for harder decisions.
HannoX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Rome used its legions for civil engineering projects, such as building roads to tie newly acquired territories into the Empire, roads the legions would then march on to trouble spots. So this isn't exactly a new idea and I suspect Kazuya is aware of the Roman example. And it is a brilliant use of an army not presently needed for purely military duties. Building a road requires organization, logistics, discipline, and the labor necessary without heavy machinery (or using beasts or magic) would serve as physical training. Kazuya is killing more than two birds with one stone here.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I think the reviewer misunderstands what happened. Souma knew that the Duke's would be upset and that conflict was inevitable but he doesn't have time to wine and dine them. He went into that meeting knowing that he'd be able to get at least 1 Duke on his side with a chance of convincing a second but that third one was never going to budge on his demands.

It's pretty clear by the conditions Souma had them agree to that he already has a plan to crush the Duke's and bring the conflict to an end as quickly as possible.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:00 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:

It's pretty clear by the conditions Souma had them agree to that he already has a plan to crush the Duke's and bring the conflict to an end as quickly as possible.

Problem is that the Duke's have been doing this longer than Souma. I am sure they have their own plans, including the one that agreed. Then again, this is an anime, so we could actually have a perfect crushing of the Dukes, as you suggest. Though that wouldn't be very realistic as the reviewer noted.

No one likes things taken away from them, especially those in positions of power. That even includes good people. It is just pure human nature.
InvertedIkemen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I'd be surprised if there's a perfect crushing of the rebel Dukes, since there are four episodes left in the series (and for possibly the first time Souma's opponents aren't logistical), but I don't think it's as much a misread of the situation as the reviewer does.

Duke Lionface was already planning to rebel, and nearly had Dragonduke completely on his side, in addition to the backing of a foreign army. By issuing an ultimatum, Souma was able to lay out his case to his Dukes, and deny his opponents some of their initiative. As a result, it seems Dragonduke has drastically reduced his commitments to Lionface, and Souma has secured the support of Duchess Mermaid.

It seems like Souma hoped for more, but it's not a bad result. It's a gamble, but considering how bad the situation could be, it might be worthwhile. Especially since the show's favorite political philosopher spends a lot of time warning about the dangers of letting disloyal elements fester in your kingdom.

It's very armchair politics, but that's my read on the situation.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Juna singing after Souma fell asleep was amusing. If he wasn't so exhausted he probably would have been woken up lol

From what I remember, in the manga Juna and Souma had spent a lot more time together already, so this scene didn't feel like it came out of nowhere as it does in the anime.

I didn't think the duke handling was so bad. They were already heading in a direction of a conflict, so Souma might as well make the most of the situation. If the dukes were going to work with Souma they would have already met with him. Instead he now has one of them on his side and is only facing a part of the air force. It could have ended up a lot worse.

spoiler[of course there's also the real reason behind Carmine's actions, but Souma doesn't know that]
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:46 pm Reply with quote
With the concept of the keys of power as stated by CGP Grey if you do not keep the people who control vast interests and military power in the pot they will move to replace you as leader. The king is forced to either try and purge them, which would be hard when his military power being vastly inferior to theirs and the armies do not answer to his orders for replacements, or to get them on side by giving them a share of the pot (whether it be power, prestige or riches or a mix of all).

The question simply becomes why would a duke support a king stripping them of control of the reigns of power, even if they approve of his thinking. You can answer that positively but only with great struggle and social disruption. But you would still face the questions of the anarchy of trying to rapidly replace a vast support system of the dukes household retainers, lesser nobles and supporting businesses running their dukedoms without the appropriate slow changing reforms in civil service.
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

spoiler[of course there's also the real reason behind Carmine's actions, but Souma doesn't know that]

spoiler[Nah he knows why as he was told during the meeting with Glaive.]

Cryten wrote:
With the concept of the keys of power as stated by CGP Grey if you do not keep the people who control vast interests and military power in the pot they will move to replace you as leader. The king is forced to either try and purge them, which would be hard when his military power being vastly inferior to theirs and the armies do not answer to his orders for replacements, or to get them on side by giving them a share of the pot (whether it be power, prestige or riches or a mix of all).

The question simply becomes why would a duke support a king stripping them of control of the reigns of power, even if they approve of his thinking. You can answer that positively but only with great struggle and social disruption. But you would still face the questions of the anarchy of trying to rapidly replace a vast support system of the dukes household retainers, lesser nobles and supporting businesses running their dukedoms without the appropriate slow changing reforms in civil service.

The story does come off as more like 'How a Idealist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom' rather than an actual so called Realist.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:

He doesn't want to get rid of the Duke's all he wants is to take control of the army away from them so he can unify the army under a single leader. Stripping them of their power is mostly a response to the Duke's turning traitor.
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:53 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
Cryten wrote:

He doesn't want to get rid of the Duke's all he wants is to take control of the army away from them so he can unify the army under a single leader. Stripping them of their power is mostly a response to the Duke's turning traitor.

Part of my point is that in taking away the armies from the keys of power of a nation you are denying them a share of the pot. Which follows that without suitable compensation most key holders missing out will naturally move to rebellion unless faced with a even worse situation unless they comply. The Dukes operate as military, political and economic keys to the nation.

Note that I dont condemn the change. I am just pointing out that its very natural that people of those positions would refuse to comply unless faced with worse. It naturally moves to civil strife and purging of the current keyholders. A painful process.
myskaros

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:18 pm Reply with quote
One thing that could have been lost in the adaptation or just over the course of the 8 episodes it took to get through volume 1 of the novels is that Souma started off asking them to acknowledge his claim to the crown, and all 3 dukes blatantly ignored him. Then, Souma purged the corrupt nobles, and Duke Carmine blatantly offered them asylum. This is not "we were minding our own business then suddenly got our toys taken away."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8