• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Former Employees Sue Good Smile for Distributing 'Potentially Obscene Sexually Explicit Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:48 am Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
I'm really getting sick of people attacking anime and trying to get stuff banned like anime figures which are literally harmless products that are there to appeal to fans of those characters. Really hope this doesn't cause a chain reaction that forces Good Smile from carrying figures of certain characters in the future :/

Good Smile is pretty much THE what defines an 'anime figurine company' like if there's an encyclopedia entry on such their image is probably found next to it. And the most vanilla of them all(aside subsidiaries, like NATIVE).

So just because two employees are feeling butthurt they were given the work they were isn't likely to budge them. What at most could happen they could restrict overseas sales in NA/worldwide and rein in their NA branch. And that's the worst outcome which I very much doubt will come to pass.
Even if it did, I don't think it would affect the majority of the overseas figurine trade(aside nendoroids and perhaps not even that) as I suspect the majority of such trades are conducted via shops online that cater directly from Japan(HLJ, Hobby Search, CDJapan, amiami, etc. etc), and to boot there are also other North American online retailers, like jlist, available.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:55 am Reply with quote
TheAnimeRevolutionizer wrote:

The main point however is that the United States is the nation with the most baggage regarding media censorship and an immense scarlet letter for any form of entertainment that isn't live action

Is that why some live action movies have had to cut things out of their original cut to avoid getting an NC17 or R Rating?

Also last I checked countries like China are way worse when it comes to censorship of media to the point stuff gets banned from airing there. At any rate though the U.S. isn’t as bad with this stuff as it was in the mail or 1990s and the early 00’s particularly with Anime.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:52 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
TheAnimeRevolutionizer wrote:

The main point however is that the United States is the nation with the most baggage regarding media censorship and an immense scarlet letter for any form of entertainment that isn't live action

Is that why some live action movies have had to cut things out of their original cut to avoid getting an NC17 or R Rating?

Also last I checked countries like China are way worse when it comes to censorship of media to the point stuff gets banned from airing there. At any rate though the U.S. isn’t as bad with this stuff as it was in the mail or 1990s and the early 00’s particularly with Anime.

In the past, however movies editing content to get PG-13 is for only one reason today, to get asses in seats (basically profit and nothing else). Movies edited to prevent NC-17 are very rare these days.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
In the past, however movies editing content to get PG-13 is for only one reason today, to get asses in seats (basically profit and nothing else). Movies edited to prevent NC-17 are very rare these days.

NC-17 came about since an X rating (over 18 or 21 only, depending on state) was box office death, since people incorrectly conflated X with XXX (explicit sexual content).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4