• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Anime Reveals Staff, Story, Characters, Mecha

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eivion

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:18 pm Reply with quote
The premise doesn't sound especially interesting yet but not bad either and different for a Gundam series. I assume we see a big turning point where things get a lot more serious as it progresses. Wouldn't mind if its similar to Turn A and IBO where it takes a while to get to the real war.

The mobile suits look alright. The character designs don't excite me, but I don't hate them outright either.

Only familiar with one series from the director. Doesn't really move me either way. The writer though has my interest. His work arguably goes all over the place and is a mixed bag as a result, but when he is on point he really does well. Hopefully this leans more towards the positive sides of his work. At the very least I can't see this being boring.

I'm mostly just happy to have a new mainline Gundam series and a female protagonist for once.
Ishida_Akira(fake)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:40 pm Reply with quote
chronium wrote:
With the title of The Witch From Mercury this is not the plot description I was expecting. I was expecting something more serious like Iron-Blooded Orphans then a school drama plot.

Thank God you were wrong. I don't even want to see another Gundam like IBO. EVER.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why people think it's suddenly going to become a reverse harem school romcom just because of the initial revealed cast. It's still Gundam in the end.
chronium

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:31 pm Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
I don't know why people think it's suddenly going to become a reverse harem school romcom just because of the initial revealed cast. It's still Gundam in the end.

It's not the cast it's the plot set up that screams that. Just because it's Gundam doesn't mean they haven't done comedies whether they did it intentionally or not.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:27 am Reply with quote
People need to think Valvrave when it comes to the potential of a school setting. That show had a high school literally become an armed independent nation.
readnovels

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:06 am Reply with quote
On the mecha designer front, Kanetake Ebikawa, Takayuki Yanase, and Kenji Teraoka are all long-time Gundam mecha designers who's worked for a lot of Gundams over the years. For this series, Ebikawa designed the Michaelis and the Beguir-Beu. The notable new additions to the mecha designer pool is JNTHED who designed the Gundam Aerial and Gundam Lfrith, and Wataru Inata who previously worked with the PS3 game Armored Core: For Answer, and who designed the Gundam Pharact for this series.

The only other notable name I know from the top of my head is the music composer Takashi Ohmama, who composed the music for Twilight Axis.

Also note that Bandai will be holding their Hobby Next Phase Summer event this June 21st and 22nd, and they'll be showing Witch from Mercury products in there according to their banner.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:08 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Anyways, Gundam at school is definitely going to rub the old guard the wrong way.

Worth noting that this isn't the first time we've had Gundam in a school setting, and Ecole du Ciel has one of the best stories in the franchise.

From the premise it may seem like a reverse-harem thing, but I'd caution against writing it off prematurely.

(Though sadly, from the sound of it, we won't get to see anything as cool as those headless GM Trainers.)
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure why people are worried about it being a "reverse harem" (as if it was a bad thing, hah) when the co-lead, Miorine, is also a girl... that's already two female characters as leads, not hugely likely that the three guys will all be into just one of them. I do really hope that there will be a well-written relationship between Suletta and Miorine, be it friendship or rivalry (or...!) and they won't fall back onto unsavory tropes.
Aster97

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:13 pm Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
The school setting with real mechs idea was something I expected from Star Driver way back then. It feels weird to see it realized now.

Judging from the character descriptions, I don't think the series will have deep characterization. But with Okouchi handling it, I expect we'll at least get a fun ride.

Very intrigued by the mech designs. You can see the designers went all out. I wonder how they'll handle the world design.

damn star driver is a throw back! that show had so much potential too.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:00 pm Reply with quote
John the Dark Lord wrote:
"Communication issues" specifically is indeed a first, but there has been Gundam protagonists with trouble socializing before. Including the very first one, Amuro Ray. And Kira Yamato was timid AND had trouble socializing. If anything I'd say they are making the girl too much of a normal Gundam protagonist.

It is more the combination of the two that are especially concerning because of how it sounds like a rom com character. Communication issues isn't new for MCs. Heero and Setsuna would fall under that. I'm not sure I'd say Kira is either. Even in episode 1, Kira is very assertive during the attack and basically takes charge of getting people into the shelters then also the battle. He was assertive in voicing how he felt them pushing him to fight was BS too. Kira talks his friend down several times and eventually into swapping sides (Lacus helped here as well) so I would say communication is a strength for him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4