• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Clueless First Friend

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I thought it was just Takada who had the handlebar moustache fetish, but even the store Santa cake-hawker was sporting one. Even Hino's Santa cosplay (poor kid, having to wear sleeves outside). They're everywhere!

I thought of your earlier comments when the plethora of mustaches showed up in this episode.
zfunk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:02 am Reply with quote
Wow that final episode title reveal. I was hoping for a epilogue to middle school.

spoiler[But 10 years, that is college or young adulthood years. I never imagined that would happen. Granted this is properly just someone's dream so it is not canon, but still.]
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

As evidence that Takada is not completely oblivious, I submit the three relieved faces in response to Hino's suggestion of the gift exchange and its reset of the atmosphere in the room --- Umi, Kasahara, and Takada (I also loved Umi's delighted "Just like Hino to be so oblivious").

Kasahara's misreading of Umi's wish for Hino's gift was also amusing. Kasahara's complimenting Nishimura on her good eye for accessories was a nice touch, too.
zfunk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:30 pm Reply with quote
You don't suppose they will kill off Takada in the time skip? He reminds me of too much of characters that die in movies like My Girl and Nardia.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:17 pm Reply with quote
zfunk wrote:
You don't suppose they will kill off Takada in the time skip? He reminds me of too much of characters that die in movies like My Girl and Nardia.

This isn’t a Key anime

… and his ghost will still be lurking around alternately cheering people up or depressing them like in Anohana
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Of course Hino's gift would be a tanktop. And of course Kasahara would get drunk off juice.

The romantic tension in that balcony scene was palpable, even if Nishimura is being very cautious at this point...but there are definitely some sparks flying whether she's aware of it or not. But Takada is growing more aware for sure.

I wasn't expecting a seeming timeskip ending but I guess that's one way to jump to a proper romantic conclusion than what we might get with the kids as they are now...assuming that's what happens.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:27 am Reply with quote
Lol that Takada doesn't imagine himself having a moustache when he's actually old enough to grow his own! And if her drawing is any indication, Kasahara is going to grow up to be a mangaka.

As charming as I eventually came to view this series, I think it would be exhausting to have someone like Takada obsessing over you all the time like he does. A few days of that and I'd be actively trying to avoid him unless he learned to turn it down a few degrees and decibels.
Folcwine P. Pywackett

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:29 am Reply with quote
Rebecca Silverman-san has written one of the very best reviews of "My CLueless First Friend" both for this EP 13 Ending, and for the entire run of the anime.

Most children play an ancient game called "Pretend" where the players "pretend" to be something that they are not. Children realize that this is a game, and is not to be taken for real. All of Akane Nishimura's bullies know the reality that Akane is not a "Grim Reaper". They are fully aware that they have chosen to be mean in making Akane the scapegoat for all of their own evils, and this is very typical human behavior.

In steps our Clueless hero, Taiyō Takada who on learning about Akane's powers, thinks she is cool, and he wants to be her friend to learn more about the world of the Grim Reaper. Because he believes, his arguments with the bullies are extremely frustrating for them, who on several occasions are forced to admit the truth about Akane. that "The Grim Reaper" story is not real, its a pretend, made-up to harm Akane.

Taiyō has a touch of "Chūnibyō", a child's delusion that their games are not pretend, but rather they are real. Yuta, the former "Chūnibyō" of Kyoani's wonderful "Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions!"(2012), becomes highly embarrassed as he grew older thinking about his behavior during his childhood. One wonders what will happen to Taiyō in a couple of years when he is gobsmacked by puberty. But there is something else going on with Taiyō, and his sister, Yukiko Takada, knows exactly what it is. Taiyō is forming his first crush on Akane Nishimura. "Falling in Love" is much too strong a term for the 5th grade, but this is the time when young people do begin to form their first crushes. Akane knows this full well which is why she will not let Taiyō kiss her. But without rejecting him, she holds out the possibility that in the future, perhaps then.......

It is unfortunate that there will never be a then....... because "My CLueless First Friend" is just not that popular and it does not appear that there will be any more seasons. Even here on ANN, there are only 27 ratings which place it at 7.316. The lack of comments here on this forum seems to show that even ANN'ers are not all that taken away by this work. Clueless was our number 1 for the season, but that is most definitely a minority opinion.

spoiler[
The outstanding character is Nishimura's Dad who apparently does not even have a first name. He is the true Super-Hero of this Anime, and may in fact be the very best Dad in all Anime. Hopefully everyone stayed after the credits for one of the finest endings in some time. Nishimura's Dad begins using first names and this binds Taiyō into the Nishimura inner circle. And because both the Dad and Akane are Nishimura, Taiyō binds Akane into his intimate circle under the excuse that we have to distinguish which Nishimura we are taking about, but then Akane reveals her feels and binds Taiyō to her for the most obvious of reasons. The Dad puts his arms around both children, and our sweet anime ends.
]

It has been fun spending time and comments with the few excellent and wonderful commenters in this forum. Wishing everyone well, and good fortune in life.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, Folcwine P. Pywackett, for all of your enthusiasm and kind words about my reviews this season. It really means a lot to me that you enjoyed them - and the show!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4