• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Licenses 4 Gonzo Titles Including Pumpkin Scissors

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 11:16 am Reply with quote
Sweet- NHK! I was wondering who might grab this. I'm also glad to see Pumpkin Scissors as well. Looks like I have more shows to buy. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Drowning_Wolf

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I didn't have a clue about what was Red Garden until just now, and from what I am reading, it does look damn interesting, I'll be sure not to miss it.

Pumpkin Scissors had a extremely lovely setting and atmosphere, unfortunately, I thought it was pretty awkward and something just flat-out boring, my appreciation of the characters continually changed; sometime I loved them, sometime I hated them, in the end I just dropped the series when it was almost over (episode 21, I think). But, if ADV give the series a good dub and a neat packaging, I might consider giving it a second shot.
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
ZeroRyoko1974 wrote:
So is Funimations exclusive agreement with Gonzo over, or did they just not want these titles?

I don't believe they had an exclusive deal with Gonzo, sure they licensed 4 shows (TB, Basilisk, SG, DP) all fairly close together but I don't they have any sort of special deal. It was probably more of a thing that Funimation wanted to get some Gonzo shows and they got basically everything that aired during that season from Gonzo.

I recall not long ago, about Funi "going Gonzo" and their lawyers waving around some big sticks at various fansubbers subbing Gonzo titles. I seem to recall news around that time of them having some kind of deal or partnership with Gonzo
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:25 pm Reply with quote
ZeroRyoko1974 wrote:
I recall not long ago, about Funi "going Gonzo" and their lawyers waving around some big sticks at various fansubbers subbing Gonzo titles. I seem to recall news around that time of them having some kind of deal or partnership with Gonzo

Yeah it's sort of mention in this con report. Although it doesn't state that Funimation had a specific deal Gonzo it was Funimation summer of Gonzo/Going gonzo back in 2005 where they snatch up everything that Gonzo was airing. I don't remember anything about the fansubbers thou, there was a bit of an ordeal when Funimation announced a few licenses prematurely because of senting out C&D letters while they pertained titles like Trinity Blood/Speed Grapher (which had already been licensed) the list also included titles like Mushishi.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:33 pm Reply with quote
ZeroRyoko1974 wrote:
So is Funimations exclusive agreement with Gonzo over, or did they just not want these titles?

I think that ADV just had a really rough year in 2006. They have always seemed to be Gonzo fans since the Chrono Crusade and PEacemaker days. Most of Gonzo's 2004 titles went to ADV. I feel that it was more Funimation picking up the slack for ADV last year since ADV had only a couple of high profile series that they licensed. Most studios don't have an exclusive distributor. Gonzo seems to be one of those companies that is willing to go with the highest bidder having titles from Geneon, Funi, Bandai, and ADV.. They are format neutral as far as Blu-Ray and HDDVD goes.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 12:00 am Reply with quote
These announcements aren't really news to me, but only because I was there Wink I'm glad ADV got NHK over Funimation, since Funimation would've summarily ignored the massive amounts of onscreen text that come up in that series, as they did with the last episode of Rumbling Hearts. (Didn't get answer from them about the issue at their panel, either.) At least I managed to win that first season of GANTZ by beating Chris Ayres at Rock Paper Scissors. IIRC, they left the extras on the Gantz thinpacks because of all the flak they got for the two-episode discs; it was a way of making it up to the fans.

Magikano seemed like an "afterthought," as in "Oh, I noticed we've got one more announcement to make"--I'm surprised anyone licensed it, since it didn't even make that much of a splash in the fansubbing world. I'll have to watch it to see what ADV saw in it--it seems to be on similar lines as Yumeria. Or maybe it was one of those "package deal" licenses.
endsmouth

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 3:21 am Reply with quote
I couldn't get into Red Garden. Magikano only has fanservice going for it spoiler[especially with that atrocious ending] and it really does seem like an afterthought here. Maybe it was cheap.

Pumpkin Scissors was an occasionally entertaining mass of wasted potential. It has a surprisingly high good to bad episode ratio, but just lacked something overall. It's a shame since it could've been so much better. There was no focus there and when it was all done nothing ever came together. As I said, it's too bad since whenever the action and intrugue kicked in it was really good while nearly everything else was just underwhelming and even the characters and messages were grating on me by the end. Since the manga is said to be really good maybe a second season will redeem it, but until then, it probably isn't worth a buy unless ADV gives it the works.

In spite of its flaws NHK may be the only show worth it. The QUALITY should be fixed for DVD, unfortunately nothing can be done about the toned down story, but what are you gonna do.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Magikano seemed to have a very odd following. Just in the real niche fansubbing circles that I happen to visit there seemed to be real die-hard fans of it, but I don't think these would be the same people who would buy it. And they probably got through watching the entire series and there's something else that's caught their fancy now. I like shows like Magikano and of all the recent ADV licenses; it and Welcome to the NHK (which I've only caught a haphazard assortment of episodes at an anime club) are the ones I'll be most likely to buy.

Wow, Zalis, so Air got licensed by ADV? Amazing news for you huh? That is one nobody actually thought would get licensed despite its huge fanbase. I'll be very interested in seeing who they choose for VAs.

Also I'm very curious about one thing: if the licensing of Magikano has something to do with Geneon licensing Zero no Tsukaima? Both shows are very similar and have very similar character designs and animation styles yet were produced by two different studios in Japan. Maybe US companies are starting to release similar shows in parallel just like it happens in Japan.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:24 am Reply with quote
Whoo hoo!! Welcome to the NHK! Did not expect ADV to license it. But then again I couldn't think of anyone else doing it. Guess that's the only title I'm interested in from 'ADV'. Don't know much about the others.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4