• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman: DOOMSDAY EDITION!

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:47 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:

Bullshit. They can only push that dead horse before you run out of stuff to slap the DBZ logo on. In fact, I find it laughable they still try to push that proeprty that ended what, years ago? Plus with Viz airing Naruto and Bleach, it's only a matter of time before that property is truely dead.

Is it "laughable" that the DBZ boxsets are doing tremendous numbers?

You might think it's stupid and lame that they're still pushing that show but it's good business for them.

Your definition of "dead" seems to be "when I'm sick of it" and not "when it's no longer doing solid business". Which is pretty silly.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:05 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Is it "laughable" that the DBZ boxsets are doing tremendous numbers?

And it took them how long to release a "decent" set of the material? ADV at least managed to "milk" Evangelion on a set schedule of sorts.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:39 am Reply with quote
Cowboy Cadenza wrote:

Also, I know the profit doesn't go directly to the creators when you buy DVDs in America, but from my understanding, it doesn't do that in Japan either; it goes to the company that produced the stuff. When you buy Bleach manga in Japan, the profit goes to Shueisha, not Kubo Tite. Animators and whatever are paid a base salary that doesn't change at all, even if the show turns out to be a huge hit. (I recall reading this in a Dai Sato interview a while ago, but if anyone knows this to not be the case any longer, feel free to correct me.)

Many japanese creators have contracts that give them a say, and have infamously good contracts/ownership of their materials [often having all rights revert to them after a period of years], far better then the deals many US comic publishes give domestic artists/writers- as Justin Sevakis pointed out, the reason anime and manga take so long to license is that things often have to go all the way through a large chain of approval, ending with the original creators.

RightStuf's Shawne Kleckner has also pointed out on these forums before that most anime is licensed by paying an initial fee to license the show, then continuing to pay renewal fees/royalties based on the sales of the material here- the more you buy, the more indeed goes back to the japanese producers and creators.

Manga and comics works the same way--- many comic creators DO get royalties based on foriegn edition sales. It's a fairly normal occurence in the publishing industry for authors, just look at J K Rowling. So long as they have a good contract, and I imagine many do, they are getting the rewards that come from having editions sold overseas.

With companies like Bandai, Geneon and VIZ, they're not just licensors, they're also sister companies of Japanese anime/manga companies, so you're not just helping out the artist, you're helping the original companies themselves a little more directly. Anime doesn't get made by the creator of the manga- it's a team effort, with a large number of animation companies who also need our support.

And yes, Animators do get paid a salary, even at Disney. But the company as a whole needs to make a profit, if they're not making enough money, stuff gets outsourced to a cheaper company/country, and those animators get fired. Or they just stop making animation. Animation companies worldwide tend to operate from project to project, and depend on current projects breaking even and making continued profit off older titles to continue producing new ones.

Not buying DVD is a good way to kill them off.

Also, in Japan and the US, depending on their contract, the creator of the show does get royalties- so whikle animator A doesn't get royalties, the guy credited as the show's creator might.

ps- Justin/Shawn, if you see this, and want to expand/correct/clarify, please feel free to do so.

Last edited by Paploo on Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:46 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
No sorry, the more I think about it, the more I dislike this view. Its just another form of Elitism. Its really no different from the Fansub elitists who act like people who pay for Anime arent real fans. It comes down to saying: "If you don't agree with me then you're not a real fan." By all means, think fansub elitists or even just fansub users are dead wrong. But its really irrelevant to how much of a "fan" they are.

While they might still be a big fan, they'd be a pretty crappy fan. I know that if someone ever came up to an artist at a convention, explained that they loved my book, but totally downloaded it online for free, and told all their friends how to download it, and download the works of other artists and animators they like, and then ask for a free sketch............ they probably wouldn't like them very much.

[I know I wouldn't]
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:51 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:

And it took them how long to release a "decent" set of the material? ADV at least managed to "milk" Evangelion on a set schedule of sorts.

It took them that long to release a 'decent' (and I use that word sparingly) set of material because people still bought 3-4 episode discs, out of order, at $25 a pop, and FUNimation still made a ridiculous profit from doing so. Eventually people started calling bullshit on it, and so FUNimation stopped, did a cheap remaster and sold it at a price they basically could have always sold it at, and the same people, along with many more, went and rebought it.

There is no specific formula for this, and while DBZ was lagging somewhat, they've managed to re-vitalise the franchise, so it's by no means dead (and it is a property that still retains a very high level of international interest). Zac is right in saying that your perception of 'dead' is well.. not really the case.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:56 am Reply with quote
The main reason Funimation can probably sell DBZ so cheaply now isn't because they always could, it's because releasing all of DBZ on DVD on single discs that actually sold really well provided them with the funds necessary to translated a 500+ episode anime series and release it in the US market. That's an insane thing to attempt [just look at how many Case Closed discs they've done.... yet they've only done a fraction of the show, and it's gonna take years and lots of fan support to finish it without a TV Broadcast, something that's out of Funi's hands since they already tried it, and CN and viewers passed], and even insaner that they actually succeeded.

Those profits also enabled them to expand their business, and take chances in licensing other titles, even some like Kodocha and Fruits Basket that we never thought we'd see otherwise. DBZ is 10000000000000 times more beneficial to the industry then any fansub ever will be.

[Funimation actually did finish their entire release of DBZ on dvd btw, though I think the rereleases of the first season stopped when they decided to do boxsets. They'd been released previously dub-only by Pioneer, before Funimation started their own DVD division]
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:00 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
While they might still be a big fan, they'd be a pretty crappy fan. I know that if someone ever came up to an artist at a convention, explained that they loved my book, but totally downloaded it online for free, and told all their friends how to download it, and download the works of other artists and animators they like, and then ask for a free sketch............ they probably wouldn't like them very much.

As much as it pains me to side with ikillchicken, I have to agree that this seems more like an elitism-thing. Everyone has his own definition of the word "fan". Someone likes the product but obtains it illegally, so Mr Zac conveniently slaps him with the not a true fan label. See?
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:07 am Reply with quote
Ai no Kareshi wrote:
As much as it pains me to side with ikillchicken, I have to agree that this seems more like an elitism-thing. Everyone has his own definition of the word "fan". Someone likes the product but obtains it illegally, so Mr Zac conveniently slaps him with the not a true fan label. See?

Well, obtaining a product illegally isn't exactly a good thing to do is it? Exactly how does it benefit the creator of the show you love?

Artists like people who support them, whether it's buying their product, or enjoying it in a free way that does benefit them like reading their books at a library [which is actaully a market that does offer books for free, and gives a profit to book publishers], or watching on TV [same thing- VIZ won't be getting a nice check from Cartoon Network if everyone stopped watching Naruto].

From an artists POV, buying stuff just makes it all the more nicer......I really appreciate it when people buy sketches from me whenever I'm at Cons, or when people subscribe to help sponsor my webcomic. When I get a book published, or publish one myself, I'll really like people who buy it [I know I like the people who've bought my minicomics].

But someone who says they like an artists work, but would tell them that there's no way they'd ever buy it because capitalism is evil..... yeah, they'd not be loved much by the creator in most cases. I think anime/manga fans just feel more comfortable about it because they don't interact with japanese creators, so they never encounter that sort of situation, and think they can get waway with it.

Ask some creators who they think is "true fan"- the fan who bought their book, or the fan who purposely scanned it for mass distrbution on the internet. Which one do you think they'd owe more?

PS-- Leech is also a term used in webcomics for people who reallllllly totalllllly love your work, but then get angry when you do something as basic as put up merchandise or put up a paypal donations link.

Last edited by Paploo on Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:13 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Well, obtaining a product illegally isn't exactly a good thing to do is it? Exactly how does it benefit the creator of the show you love?

If your definition of a fan is someone who supports the artist, then such people are indeed not fans. If your definition of a fan is someone who loves a certain anime/book/song/etc, however, then those people are fans. People twist the meaning to whatever is suitable for disparaging the other side.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:17 am Reply with quote
Again, I didn't say they weren't a fan. They still are. They're just not the kind of fan I'd particularly like.....

Everyones a person, but they all have the opportunity to be a bad person.

Fans can be Bad Fans. Lazy Fans. Careless Fans. Selfish Fans.

I think the person who buys one book or DVD is just as good a fan of something as the person who has dozens of books from a given creator. But the person who just steals it all, and smiles about it, sure is a crappy fan [and the person whose bought some things, but still stolen some others might not be as good of a fans as they should be, though they're certainly nicer to creators then a crappy fan and appreciated for that].

Last edited by Paploo on Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:26 am; edited 4 times in total
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:18 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Again, I didn't say they weren't a fan. They still are. They're just not the kind of fan I'd particularly like.....

Fair enough. Wink
Steroid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Simply liking cartoons is not a noble pursuit; you don't deserve to be catered to by the artist simply for enjoying his work. . . . The perversion of the word "fan" from "someone who loves and supports an artist" to "anyone who even kinda enjoys something, with or without ever becoming part of the system that helped create it" is irritating.

This is a perfect example of what I call "the coin of pain." Suggesting that a pursuit is of greater value because it involves suffering or loss on the part of the pursuer is a monstrous idea. It's not primarily about supporting the artist; if that were the case, a person who downloads many fansubs and buys other merchandise, but no DVDs, would be just as much a fan under this definition, and there would be no problem per se with downloading en masse. The primary complaint is about a transaction in which one party gets what in the compainant's eyes is too much.

Take me, for example. A while ago, I stopped downloading fansubs. Now I get my anime by waving a magic wand that the anime fairy gave me, which produces perfect DVD editions of the shows I want right out of thin air. I don't need raws, or translators, or anything other than the original broadcasted show to exist. How does this make me less a fan?

Personally, I would rather discuss an anime with someone who viewed it with a "price no object" eye than one who has to consider the cost when judging a show's worth.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:59 am Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:

Personally, I would rather discuss an anime with someone who viewed it with a "price not paid" eye than one who has to consider the cost when judging a show's worth.
Fixed Rolling Eyes
TheVok

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:04 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Frankly, the death of Genon does nothing on my soul. I think if they had dropped their prices they would have been a lot better off. The number of Genon titles vs. other anime compaines is crazy- I have less than 10 Genon shows.

Geneon has been looming large in my consciousness lately. For one thing, they program all the anime I currently watch on TV (i.e. on G4TechTV), except Funimation's Shin Chan (on Razer). And most of the series I've been watching through Zip.ca rentals have been from them too, including 'Zipang,' 'Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo' and 'Haibane Renmei.'

I finally received 'Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Society' the other day and realized the last time I saw anything from Manga was, well, 'Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig.'

But I'm probably not the average North American anime consumer. I'm no otaku either. I'm in my 30s and prefer to rent rather than buy. So, a lack of extras doesn't bother me.

Still, it strikes me as odd when Zac refers to Geneon's "extremely niche, otaku-oriented shows," if only because I figure my anime tastes are fairly mainstream; I even watch 'Last Exile' on G4 ....
Levitz9

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:20 am Reply with quote
Cowboy Cadenza wrote:
minakichan wrote:
Yeeeeeeeep, those people who don't pay for anime aren't supporting the creators. Silly Japanese cable subscribers! (and don't give me that "but they are paying for anime" crap. We both know what I mean.)

Seriously, Answerman, get over yourself. Not all fansub viewers are uncontributing lazyass hogs. There are plenty who buy merchandise for anime that they would never have heard of without the fansubs. Obviously, when an anime gets licensed, there really isn't any excuse (but most fansubbers are somewhat ethical about that), but honestly? Almost all of the dolls, posters, trinkets, artbooks, stationery and imported manga that's sitting on my shelf would not be there if I HAD NEVER WATCHED THE SHOW.

Of course there are people like you and me who watch fansubs and also buy DVDs and merchandise. Those aren't the people that Answerman is referring to, clearly. I don't know if it's just that you have an optimistic view of people, but there are a frustratingly large number of people I've encountered who honestly cannot understand why I buy DVDs when I can just download something for free (I actually encountered one this evening). I've begun to just ignore them at this point. I even met one guy who felt bad about getting stuff for free, so he would buy cheaper bootlegs. When I pointed out that not one cent of his money was supporting anyone who was involved with the creation of the show, he said he didn't care and that as long as he was paying for it, it was okay. Granted, he was probably one of the most idiotic people I've ever met, but still.

Also, you claim that "most" fansubbers are "somewhat" ethical about not subbing licensed shows? While I can think of a couple subbers that do halt distribution of subs when a show is licensed, a vast majority continue right on with it. I know of several that only stop if FUNi and ADV are the licensor, because Bandai/Viz/Geneon wasn't doing anything to stop them. And almost every series that gets drop by a subber is picked up by another group that will finish the series.

Unfortunately, I fit this mold, and I have but one reason, and it's a doozy: There aren't any places that sell anime around here, and I'd have to go way out of my way to do so, not to mention risk going hungry at school. Sure, there's EBay and Amazon, but again, I don't have the cash to throw around for every time someone decides to sell a boxed set of Rozen Maiden or something.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 15