• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Panel Pushes Ban on Illegal Downloads Forward

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:43 pm Reply with quote
@Xanas

I'll probably get in to a bit of trouble for saying this, but frankly someone needs to.

To coin a phrase from Gun x Sword "Ahhh, I've finally met one, what is it called...ahh yes a moron" -The Claw

Your constant beating around the bush and ignoring whats being said, and trying to twist the facts around to suit only your needs has lowered my IQ and anyone else who has read this dribble you have spouted off.

The next thing you'll be arguing about is if the sky is really blue or not on a clear spring day, its the only thing more redundant to argue about at this point.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Please provide examples where I have twisted facts. Please explain why I am a moron rather than simply calling me a name within a quote. Your post is very good at being insulting but fails to make a point beyond the fact that you don't like me personally. Can you at the very least explain to me why it is necessary for you to write a post with the only intended purpose being to insult me? How does your post advance the argument, discussion, or help the understanding of others? You say that I am making others more stupid by posting, yet can you honestly tell me how posts like your own encourage people to think and reason intelligently.
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Zac already said it best, yea I actually agreed with him, which is somewhat rare, which you have repeatedly argued with till your blue in the face.

Every time someone has made a point you have tried to make a counter point that shows only your views and/or beliefs, but not a fact of law...period. If that isnt blatant enough of a reason to give you pause, nothing will.

But go ahead, amuse me some more, I'm bored at work, i got all day.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Steel Angel wrote:
Zac already said it best, yea I actually agreed with him, which is somewhat rare, which you have repeatedly argued with till your blue in the face.

Every time someone has made a point you have tried to make a counter point that shows only your views and/or beliefs, but not a fact of law...period. If that isnt blatant enough of a reason to give you pause, nothing will.

But go ahead, amuse me some more, I'm bored at work, i got all day.

And aren't you arguing with your beliefs yourself? To hell if you agree with Zac or not, the man can be wrong.

I wonder how amusing it is under that bridge of yours.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I have spoken respectfully to everyone in this thread. Does anyone disagree with me on this? I have not insulted anyone here, and I make a point to concede on things when I believe what they are saying has some truth to it. Do you honestly expect me to say that I agree with someone when I do not?
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:07 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

And aren't you arguing with your beliefs yourself? To hell if you agree with Zac or not, the man can be wrong.

I wonder how amusing it is under that bridge of yours.

Oh, so your saying laws have not already been broken then? It's not a belief, whether i believe a law was broken or not doesn't change the fact they often are. Has little to do with whether i believe them or not.

Now if for say i believed man shouldn't fly i could always jump out of a moving air craft, i wont fly (roll for awhile I'm sure) but just because one has a belief it doesn't change facts now does it.

Very amusing, you should try it. Smile
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Steel Angel, it seems you believe that I think it's not illegal? I haven't been saying that. My arguments have been about morality, not legality. I have been arguing what I think the law should be, not about what it is. I am very aware that what I do by downloading fansubs, etc. is illegal.
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
Steel Angel, it seems you believe that I think it's not illegal? I haven't been saying that. My arguments have been about morality, not legality. I have been arguing what I think the law should be, not about what it is. I am very aware that what I do by downloading fansubs, etc. is illegal.

So now we get down to it. It isn't a question of morality, its more of a question of just how much such new laws would become an inconvenience to you.

Morality has nothing to do with rights, licenses, or intellectual property. If you take them with out paying for them it is theft. There's no belief of said theft, it either is or it isnt which varies from country to country. It's no longer a question of morality, or whether you believe it is or not. So you are bringing morality to future laws that will help impede those whom are already breaking them such as yourself into question? Given that the current laws haven't curbed such infractions, how does it become a moral issue "all of a sudden" when the current laws are disregarded, and new ones are made to try to rectify the situation? One would have to have morals to bring them up wouldn't they?

Simply put, it is ironic in more then one way.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:31 pm Reply with quote
At this point the laws are already an inconvenience, and not just an inconvenience but one that costs money if I want to be legal. I have to do something illegal (use DMCA violating programs) to watch in the operating system I want to, or I have to pay for a copy of windows (that I don't want) despite the fact my OS is perfectly capable of playing the videos.

Proposed laws are much more severe than the DMCA and have further reaching effects than that.

Quote:

Given that the current laws haven't curbed such infractions, how does it become a moral issue "all of a sudden" when the current laws are disregarded, and new ones are made to try to rectify the situation?

It's not an issue "all of a sudden." Even if the laws were not revised or changed I still disagree with the laws that exist in the here and now. The only reason you might think that this is a sudden thing on my part is that there aren't any threads talking about our opinions on current laws. Let me be clear, I find the DMCA, current copyright terms, and the fines/etc. all completely out of wack without any modifications in the future. This is why I don't want new laws added, the ones that already exist are screwed up as it is in my opinion.

Quote:
One would have to have morals to bring them up wouldn't they?

I'm not denying that they have morals. My disagreement is over what those morals are. I can agree with some principles but not others. When people say "artists should be paid for their work" I agree strongly with that. When someone goes on to say that artists should have the right to demand whatever they want, I am inclined to disagree. I believe copyright should exist only as a law to cover commercial distribution, and I don't think it should go beyond that. When it goes beyond that there will always be a desire to make new laws which infringe upon personal freedoms (such as the ability to choose the device/operating system/or software I want to use). In cases like this, it goes even further to possible invasions of privacy since this download ban will require monitoring of what people do on the internet.
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
At this point the laws are already an inconvenience, and not just an inconvenience but one that costs money if I want to be legal. I have to do something illegal (use DMCA violating programs) to watch in the operating system I want to, or I have to pay for a copy of windows (that I don't want) despite the fact my OS is perfectly capable of playing the videos.

Proposed laws are much more severe than the DMCA and have further reaching effects than that.

It's not an issue "all of a sudden." Even if the laws were not revised or changed I still disagree with the laws that exist in the here and now. The only reason you might think that this is a sudden thing on my part is that there aren't any threads talking about our opinions on current laws. Let me be clear, I find the DMCA, current copyright terms, and the fines/etc. all completely out of wack without any modifications in the future. This is why I don't want new laws added, the ones that already exist are screwed up as it is in my opinion.

I'm not denying that they have morals. My disagreement is over what those morals are. I can agree with some principles but not others. When people say "artists should be paid for their work" I agree strongly with that. When someone goes on to say that artists should have the right to demand whatever they want, I am inclined to disagree. I believe copyright should exist only as a law to cover commercial distribution, and I don't think it should go beyond that. When it goes beyond that there will always be a desire to make new laws which infringe upon personal freedoms (such as the ability to choose the device/operating system/or software I want to use). In cases like this, it goes even further to possible invasions of privacy since this download ban will require monitoring of what people do on the internet.

-Like any form of entertainment or that which is often associated with "fun", it costs money. Anime is not exempt from this.

-Considering current laws are not dissuading people from such actions (including you), what did you expect them to do? Make the laws more lenient? Common sense says other wise. Now will the newer laws be any more upheld, your guess is as good as mine.

-I wasn't questioning their morals. I was questioning yours. How can one with out morals of a subject question the morals of a subject. The lack of morals is shown because you show a lack of adherence for the law. Whether one agrees with a law or not, breaking them of course would be viewed as immoral. So how do you bring up a moral opinion on something which you have shown to not have a good moral view on? And you wonder why i was amused? Laughing

In other words you disagree with capitalism or maybe even the laws of supply and demand then? You don't like how a copy right holder can charge what they want after all, so that means you don't like capitalism. As was brought up by other posters, it is highly unlikely if your property or said assets were treated as you have treated others, would you have the same view considering you would have had to work to create them. Some would call that hypocrisy. Can we prove you'd act one way or the other, obviously not, at least until you were to release something of merit and try to earn money off of. The world may never know.

-If people wern't breaking the law to begin with, they wouldn't have reason to invade more and more privacy to try to catch those whom are would they. It really is a vicious cycle isn't it.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm not complaining about anime costing money. I'm complaining of the need legally to buy windows to watch it. Windows is the problem, not anime in and of itself.

I know you disagree with my morals, but to say that I have none because I break yours is nonsense. Your morals say that breaking any law is immoral, so what about truly unjust laws? Is it immoral to break the law if the law demands that you do something with which you take moral issue? If the law requires you to kill someone that you do not want to kill? Keep in mind that things like sodomy are illegal in many states, do you think that people who have certain types of sex are immoral solely because it's breaking the law? I don't even think you really believe what you are saying when you say words like this.

Quote:

As was brought up by other posters, it is highly unlikely if your property or said assets were treated as you have treated others, would you have the same view considering you would have had to work to create them. Some would call that hypocrisy. Can we prove you'd act one way or the other, obviously not, at least until you were to release something of merit and try to earn money off of. The world may never know.

Guilty until proven innocent eh? Without common respect or trust it's impossible to have a meaningful discussion. Once you assume because I lack talent that I must also not understand or appreciate those who have it we're already on a path that probably cannot lead to mutual understanding. I wish that I had the talent for art as well. I can learn to program provided I make the money necessary to go back to school. I already do some of that at work, but nothing I'd call terrific or that is useful all-around. I can only say that everything I have done to this point has been as open as I could make it.

Quote:

If people wern't breaking the law to begin with, they wouldn't have reason to invade more and more privacy to try to catch those whom are would they. It really is a vicious cycle isn't it.

I agree, but the answer to this isn't to continue the cycle by escalating it, it's to end the cycle. If you want other solutions there are multiple. In all likelihood we don't need the enforcement anyway. The industry isn't going bankrupt tomorrow. If it becomes a problem then supplementing income or expecting money from related industries is a possibility (much like the RIAA makes money off blank cd sales).
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:

I know you disagree with my morals, but to say that I have none because I break yours is nonsense. Your morals say that breaking any law is immoral, so what about truly unjust laws? Is it immoral to break the law if the law demands that you do something with which you take moral issue? If the law requires you to kill someone that you do not want to kill? Keep in mind that things like sodomy are illegal in many states, do you think that people who have certain types of sex are immoral solely because it's breaking the law? I don't even think you really believe what you are saying when you say words like this.

Way to dodge the subject. Rolling Eyes

I never called into question your entire moral view, just your morals on the topic at hand (eg uploading/downloading of Anime). And again, i state how can you objectively call into question the morals of this specific topic (i could care less about other topics) when you have shown and admitted to having no morals on the subject at hand? So downloading or uploading Anime or any other media is an unjust law in your opinion? Doesn't sound like a moral view to me one way or the other, it's just another lame excuse to do something knowing full well the legality of it, but by all means call it what ever you wish.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:

When I copy something illegally I don't make the original have no value. Your point is entirely invalid because it's based on a false premise . If illegal copying made these things worthless then you'd not buy them either. And I certainly wouldn't buy them since I condone that activity (to some extent).

Tell that to all of us who aren't possibly not going to see the end of various Geneon titles like Kyo Kara Maoh, Shonen Onmyoji & Saiunkoku because we don't download & Geneon has pulled out of the American market apparently over htis non-issue to you. Yes, you & other downloaders HAVE done me damage.

I also don't really believe the tastes of downloaders match the tastes of those of us who do buy or sales would be better. I want to see Meine Liebe. I want to see Angelique. Obviously not enough people download these titles so the licensees don't believe there's an audience. I have no interest in Melancholy of Haruhi, unlike hundreds/thousands of downloaders. I believe downloaders are skewering the licensing process.

Quote:

"Unfair" advantage? Why is it unfair? Because they didn't spend money employing me? Everything that exists in this day and age is ultimately based off the work of people that came before. Is it unfair that this is true? I'm sorry but I just don't follow this. Anyway I said I'd prefer that the company be fine with making it open source and sharing it freely. There are companies that do this, and I think it's wrong to say they are giving "unfair" advantage to their competitors. No, instead, they are simply leveling the playing field and encouraging competition in areas other than technology or software.

It really depends on the company you work for & what you're talking about. We've all heard of the Disney animators who banded together to make their own title back when (All dogs go to heaven? What title was it? Like in 1980) The animators said in intervies they made sure they didn't work on the project on their breaks. not did they use any Disney supplies to make the film so Disney couldn't claim the product. Back in the 80's when I actually read American comics, any characters or work one did for Marvel or DC belonged to them so many artists saved their best & brightest. In the mid-late 80's we saw a few independant companies pop up where the rights to the characters remained with the artists so they could bring these characters to life. Yes, their sales were probably miniscule compared to what they might have sold thru Marvel or DC, but they had control over their characters.

Quote:

I think ethereal things have variable value, depending on the situation. This is shown by my previous example, where I referenced the fact that TV broadcasters aren't exactly paying 25$ per 4 episodes per viewer. As for the value being dependent on who created the ethereal thing, I'd disagree with that. I think you believed this because I said it was wrong to lie about creating something you did not. The reason that this is wrong in my view is not because it violates my "ownership." It violates the truth, and it is harmful to society to be paying the wrong people for work that others have done. The reason for that is obvious, it does not allow the work to continue when one supports the non-responsible group. That's the reason I have a problem with commercial bootlegging.

Wordplay.
Because YOU want to view the item you're downloading, you believe you have some sort of "ownership" yoiu do not possess. The owner of that item hasn't givven permission to the fansubbers to offer those fansubs/downloads. Their desire to "share" these items doesn't constitute ownership, either.

I don't see where wnyone who has any right to the product has said "sure, fansub Code Geass so thousands of people can view it without pauying me any of my just due royalties. I don't care about the royalties". That makes it a stolen item.

Why do you think Museums charge more for those traviling exhibits? Because they can make more money? I've always seen the original owners of the exhibits are the ones demanding so much for the show, thus the need for an extra charge. It's like $25-$30 to see the "Bodies" exhibit in La Jollla. It sounds interesting, but I don't want to pay it. My desire to see it doesn't give me the right to walk thru the box office without paying because it's there anyway. My not paying for it doens't violate any copyright because I'm not stealing any of the preserved bodies so the paying customers can't see them, right?

How is my desire to see "Bodies" but not seeing it because I don't want to pay $30 any different from fansub downloading?

Quote:

Depends on how you define "anyone who needs it." Many who would want to learn how to use it for educational purposes cannot afford it. Sometimes people don't have money for the college courses and such to get the cheaper versions. If you are talking about businesses then I think you are probably right. Anyway, I support open source software for pretty much everything. The only exception I'd make would be gaming software, since it's similar to anime. But even that I think can sometimes benefit from open source (I very much support ID software and John Carmack because of their re-releasing source under the GPL after a few years).

My understanding for all the plays my daughter has been in in schools was they had to have all the copies of the script in original form-they can't just buy one & make a bunch of copies.
I've heard of people in schools who made Harry Potter plays who, to be safe, asked permission of JK Rowling's reps.

How does this reflect on anime? You saying schools NEED anime so badly they shouldn't have to pay for it? Anime is that important to education? Making the students read War & Peace is no longer necessary? Red Badge of COurage? Huck Finn?
I really can't think of any anime with a meaning/moral that a good teacher can't locate in existing literature the students don't need to download.

Anime is entertainment. There really is no NEED to download it. How does the desire to see it justify not paying the owners?

Xanas: "I say copyright violation isn't stealing"

Anime company like Gonzo: "We paid the workers to write the stories & animate it. We own it. We haven't said anyone could put it on the net for free. We own the product we worked on & nothing in the user-end agreement gives you the right to view it outside the market we've already contracted with"

Wordplay. Manslaughter. Murder-victim's still dead.
Theft. Burglary. Copyright violation-owner's rights have been ignored.
Fallout2man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Preface: If I get myself banned for talking about this, so be it. I think there are some points that need to be made. I re-read a lot of old threads first and realized how offensive I was being before in most of my posts. I apologize for that and I'll do my best from here on out to be serious and non-offensive. so if I'm still going to be banned for making long posts about copyright I guess I'll have to accept that and apologize for anyone ahead of time to anyone who may be asked to remove all of my posts.

Steel Angel wrote:

-Considering current laws are not dissuading people from such actions (including you), what did you expect them to do? Make the laws more lenient? Common sense says other wise. Now will the newer laws be any more upheld, your guess is as good as mine.

If a law is ineffective that there might be a problem with the law, and not the people. Not all laws will be 100% effective at their stated purpose. However if a law makes a vast and I do mean vast (as in almost everyone) percentage of the population criminals then it may be necessary to evaluate whether that law is really a good law.

When prohibition created organized crime of amazing levels back in the 30s did they make prohibition laws tougher? They might have for a while, but eventually they evaluated the situation and realized the entire thing was a costly exercise in futility, was unenforceable and actually detrimental to society. So in that case, the law was decided to be wrong and repealed. I think that speaks volumes about this situation right now.

Quote:
-I wasn't questioning their morals. I was questioning yours. How can one with out morals of a subject question the morals of a subject. The lack of morals is shown because you show a lack of adherence for the law. Whether one agrees with a law or not, breaking them of course would be viewed as immoral. So how do you bring up a moral opinion on something which you have shown to not have a good moral view on? And you wonder why i was amused? Laughing

Are you asserting the law is an absolute source of morality? There seems to be a problem with that (apologies if this is not what you were saying) Logically if the law is absolutely moral then why can we repeal laws? If they are meant to be absolutes then wouldn't they be made to exist perpetually? There are many cases historically where people have found laws so wrong that they have decided to break them intentionally as a show of their beliefs, civil disobedience is an American tradition.

Personally I find morality to be a much murkier subject.

Quote:
In other words you disagree with capitalism or maybe even the laws of supply and demand then? You don't like how a copy right holder can charge what they want after all, so that means you don't like capitalism. As was brought up by other posters, it is highly unlikely if your property or said assets were treated as you have treated others, would you have the same view considering you would have had to work to create them. Some would call that hypocrisy. Can we prove you'd act one way or the other, obviously not, at least until you were to release something of merit and try to earn money off of. The world may never know.

The thing is though, Capitalism and our economic system is based on the concept of scarcity. Ideas are treated so different in society exactly because they are so very different. They are inherently abundant and cannot truly be taken like a chair or table can. It sort of throws a wrench into what was a pretty well oiled machine. That's why we need special laws and considerations to allow the two to work side by side without one breaking the other. In fact, in a purely capitalistic society we would be unable to own ideas at all because ideas only can be owned by the intervention of government into the market. The idea of copyright in our society was established not because it was a natural right but because it was believed that allowing something unnatural, owning an idea temporarily, might be able to benefit us more long term by producing more works of art and, in the case of patents, science. It's a contract negotiated on the idea of an equivalent cost and benefit to both parties involved, and is not enshrined in common law like many other things in society.

Quote:
-If people wern't breaking the law to begin with, they wouldn't have reason to invade more and more privacy to try to catch those whom are would they. It really is a vicious cycle isn't it.

Again, all I can say is when situations turn into a vicious cycle like this we need to evaluate the law itself. Maybe the law IS right, but maybe it needs some tweaks or changes, but we can't look at it like some absolute whose enforcement always justify the ends necessary to enforce it. That's why we have our government now wiretapping everyone domestically, why we have warrant less searches and seizures of property with gag notices attached despite the fact they have so far not shown once that they have produced anything meaningful. We need to be critical of the law and evaluate it thoroughly before we make these judgments or before you know it, we may find ourselves somewhere we don't like. Right now you may be able to stand behind the principles but what if they did eventually start going after all violators? There was a study released showing how without doing anything obviously wrong an average American male racked up a daily total of 12.45 million dollars in damages for copyright violation (if he was pursued to the maximum damages allowed per infringement.) that he would be totally unaware of. There's a quote I'd love to put here to simplify and drive the point further home, but I fear it'd be in bad taste.

CCSYueh wrote:
Tell that to all of us who aren't possibly not going to see the end of various Geneon titles like Kyo Kara Maoh, Shonen Onmyoji & Saiunkoku because we don't download & Geneon has pulled out of the American market apparently over htis non-issue to you. Yes, you & other downloaders HAVE done me damage.

Did Geneon even say why they were pulling out? If you want to assert he has done some damage you have the burden of proof placed on you to show exactly how and why he has done damage. This means you need to first prove Causality between downloading and tangible harm to Geneon, then prove that Geneon leaving the R1 market was mostly due to that harm (which is much easier once you've proved the first.) Just blaming him isn't going to get you anywhere and we'll just get back to all of our same old arguments all over again.

Quote:
I also don't really believe the tastes of downloaders match the tastes of those of us who do buy or sales would be better. I want to see Meine Liebe. I want to see Angelique. Obviously not enough people download these titles so the licensees don't believe there's an audience. I have no interest in Melancholy of Haruhi, unlike hundreds/thousands of downloaders. I believe downloaders are skewering the licensing process.

That could be very possible, however they can be turned into a powerful profit thanks to new ad-supported services like the online player at anime network. There's still a buck to be made here on downloaders and I think the opportunity should be seized. With some more pushes my hope is we can see the effects of piracy largely marginalized.

Quote:
It really depends on the company you work for & what you're talking about. We've all heard of the Disney animators who banded together to make their own title back when (All dogs go to heaven? What title was it? Like in 1980) The animators said in intervies they made sure they didn't work on the project on their breaks. not did they use any Disney supplies to make the film so Disney couldn't claim the product. Back in the 80's when I actually read American comics, any characters or work one did for Marvel or DC belonged to them so many artists saved their best & brightest. In the mid-late 80's we saw a few independant companies pop up where the rights to the characters remained with the artists so they could bring these characters to life. Yes, their sales were probably miniscule compared to what they might have sold thru Marvel or DC, but they had control over their characters.

Wordplay.
Because YOU want to view the item you're downloading, you believe you have some sort of "ownership" yoiu do not possess. The owner of that item hasn't givven permission to the fansubbers to offer those fansubs/downloads. Their desire to "share" these items doesn't constitute ownership, either.

We're all guilty of wordplay in this issue, even myself. We all want to stick to the words we use for varying reasons. I'm going to try and use this to better explain my position on the whole stealing versus theft thing, and paraphrase a scene from Dinosaurs while I'm at it, because franky, I love that show.

Quote:
I don't see where wnyone who has any right to the product has said "sure, fansub Code Geass so thousands of people can view it without pauying me any of my just due royalties. I don't care about the royalties". That makes it a stolen item.

But an item was not taken. A right to control was violated. It's still illegal but it is a very different type of illegal. When you take a tangible object you remove the object and all use of it. When you copy a file you are violating a right to control. Ideas are not the same as property as I outlined above because they behave inherently different from matter. IP is mostly a misnomer, property-like rights are given but that's where it ends. Ideas do not behave the same way as physical goods just as a chimpanzee does not behave the same way as a human. There may be some similarities between the two but they still are very different things that behave very differently in the same circumstances.

Quote:
Why do you think Museums charge more for those traviling exhibits? Because they can make more money? I've always seen the original owners of the exhibits are the ones demanding so much for the show, thus the need for an extra charge. It's like $25-$30 to see the "Bodies" exhibit in La Jollla. It sounds interesting, but I don't want to pay it. My desire to see it doesn't give me the right to walk thru the box office without paying because it's there anyway. My not paying for it doens't violate any copyright because I'm not stealing any of the preserved bodies so the paying customers can't see them, right?

Apples and oranges, in this case you'd be more or less trespassing versus violating any copyright. A closer analogue would be the owner of bodies suing people who paid for admission to the event then posting high quality photos of the exhibit on the internet.

Quote:
How is my desire to see "Bodies" but not seeing it because I don't want to pay $30 any different from fansub downloading?

Because there is a level of physicality involved in bodies that is not in downloading. To see bodies you must force your way on to someone else's physical property against their will to get to it. To download something you are not ever touching physical property but rather dealing in the raw essence of an idea in digital form. It doesn't exist in any tangible way at all and is more akin to sharing a speech you paid to see with someone else who didn't attend, than forcing your way into an exhibit of bodies.

Quote:
My understanding for all the plays my daughter has been in in schools was they had to have all the copies of the script in original form-they can't just buy one & make a bunch of copies.
I've heard of people in schools who made Harry Potter plays who, to be safe, asked permission of JK Rowling's reps.

Yep, there's a huge level of legal liability. I'm going to link you to that study I mentioned to show you just how much we take for granted that we could technically be pursued for every day. While one can say that this contains a large level of hyperbole since companies today would never go that far, the fact remains that they would be within their legal rights to, which means they have the capacity to eventually.

Quote:
How does this reflect on anime? You saying schools NEED anime so badly they shouldn't have to pay for it? Anime is that important to education? Making the students read War & Peace is no longer necessary? Red Badge of COurage? Huck Finn?
I really can't think of any anime with a meaning/moral that a good teacher can't locate in existing literature the students don't need to download.

Anime is entertainment. There really is no NEED to download it. How does the desire to see it justify not paying the owners?

Because owning an idea and dictating terms of control is not a natural right. It's a compromise we brokered and as times change that compromise is starting to go sour fast and needs to be re-evaluated. Ideas, which all art boils down to, were never intended to be owned. So if anything I dare say the burden of proof should be placed on the other side to show why we NEED to continue our system of copyright when it currently is causing this much harm. Technically society would survive without it all mostly just as well, but we would lose some things along the way. (Note: I am not advocating the abolishment of copyright. As sad as it is I still do like big budget movies and anime and would like to not see them go away.)

Quote:
Xanas: "I say copyright violation isn't stealing"

Anime company like Gonzo: "We paid the workers to write the stories & animate it. We own it. We haven't said anyone could put it on the net for free. We own the product we worked on & nothing in the user-end agreement gives you the right to view it outside the market we've already contracted with"

Fallout2man: “I saw copyright infringement should not be called stealing because they're not the same thing.”

RIAA/MPAA/BSA, anime companies like Gonzo: “Well it is, because we say it is. Haven't you seen all of our flashy ads with purse snatchers and car thieves with those cool special effects? Clearly it is, because if it wasn't we'd never have made those flashy ads. Plus we have warehouses full of these.” *plops down anti-piracy memorabillia* “This proves conclusively that copyright infringement is the same thing as stealing a purse or a car.”

Fallout2man: but where's the proo....

RIAA/MPAA/BSA, Anime companies like Gonzo: “Cover your ears everyone! He's committing an act of heresy and anyone listening will be found in contempt of court.”

Quote:
Wordplay. Manslaughter. Murder-victim's still dead.
Theft. Burglary. Copyright violation-owner's rights have been ignored.

There's still a big difference here, while in manslaughter and murder there's a dead body, in burglary an object is taken that must be replaced at cost. This is not so with copyright infringement. There is no analogue of direct damage. The only potential for harm is in the possibility of potentially losing a sale. The problem though is in proving the causality necessary to show how many sales are lost, and so far no one has been able to do that. What is being violated, the real crime, is a loss of control, a contract violation. A contract violation is not the same either legally or morally as a common law crime.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Despite that long-winded post you still failed to look at the bigger picture. The law is there to protect everyones rights, not give everything to everybody just because they want it.

Who pays the animators then for the hard work they put in to these shows? Who pays the creators and writers for the all the time they spend developing these titles? You're demanding something as a right and ignoring the rights of others. The laws job isn't there to cater to just them or just you but to provide something that protects the rights of both. This is done by allowing you the right to purchase and own while still giving them the right to earn their living. You can type type type in this round about discussion all you want but you've still failed through all your huge long posts to do anything aside from demanding the law look only at your desires and rights and dismiss the people who actually earn their living through the work. We might as well tell your employer that they no longer have to pay you.

9 out of 10 people in this country have shoplifted or stolen. That's a larger group than downloaders of anime I'm willing to bet. So what now? Since laws protecting peoples property are making so many people criminals we should just do away with them? Heck, while we're at it there's far too many murderers out there. If laws against murder are putting so many people behind bars we might as well just do away with those too. Your entire argument is ridiculously flawed, my god man, if the world worked around your funky little system we'd be at war non-stop and killing each other by the thousands daily. People who sit there playing armchair lawmaker never seem to have any sense of the big picture and the millions of lives these things effect, but rather just the small picture of them and their friends.

The law is in place to protect the rights of people on all sides. Like it or not what you're asking for tramples the rights of others. I'm sorry you feel you are more important than them, but luckily not everyone out there is so dismissive towards others rights.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7