• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gia's List: 6 Destroyers of the Fourth Wall

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Well,anime characters aren't the only ones who do that. The old-time Warner Brothers characters used to do that a lot. If you've ever seen any of the old stuff,that's what they did. I think they got that from some of their American counterparts.
Adamanto

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:43 pm Reply with quote
baadaku12345 wrote:
Dr Slump is the most 4th wall destroying manga/anime I've seen.

Indeed, the lack of Dr. Slump is massively disappointing. It easily outperforms the other series here by a mile, never ever even pretending to not be a comedic work of fiction.
Other shows may reference the fact that they're TV shows, but how many of them have the author as a supporting "character"?
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I voted for Sailor Moon, but my real answer would be "Oro?" from Rurouni Kenshin. I especially like it because that's how Kaoru can tell when he's back to being plain old Kenshin instead of the Battousai.
Meygaera

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Oh Edo Rocket.
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:11 pm Reply with quote
For a favorite catchphrase, I'm partial to "Fuko da" or "Such misfortune", spoken in a defeated tone by Touma in Toaru Majutsu no Index.

Fourth-wall breakage happens in anime more often than I realized.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Sea Lion wrote:

Fourth-wall breakage happens in anime more often than I realized.

Ain't we a stinker!
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Honestly the way Sket Dan does it, is often times simply hilarious. In one chapter of the manga, a character rips the page and tries to turn it to the next, only with mild luck. This becomes even more hilarious when she tries to references that it either way it will be fixed and the readers can always go back a page.

Dr. Slump has had several instances of breaking the fourth wall but in a very hilarious fashion. The trick is when breaking the fourth wall, not to do it often, but when you do, make the humor the situation realistic enough, but make it light as well.

Do it too much though and it's not that funny after a while, but there are some that do it often, but make it hilarious time and time again. Gintama is known for that and continues to be hilarious, even when they aren't breaking the fourth wall.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:43 am Reply with quote
Something related to this I happened to be thinking about recently because I was watching Figure 17 last weekend and contemplated the challenges animation in particular faces when characters are alone and talking without it looking like they are talking to themselves.

Sometimes it's just solved through comedy, but with dramas and serious animation that don't want to make the characters look like a bunch of schizos, some solutions are challenging. Very few anime resort to characters thinking, and the audience somehow has the ability to read their minds. In fact, I can't think of any offhand.

But it's fairly common in live-action shows. I wonder why. Perhaps because if you can hear a character's thoughts then instead of a fourth wall existing, you the viewer become a character in the show who just happens to have telepathy. People generally don't like to get caught talking to themselves, that's why when a character is talking and no one is around, you don't exist from the POV of the character, hence neither does the 4th wall.

You can't break it if it doesn't exist.
KidaYuki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Yay Hayate got mentioned. It's so under appreciated Anime hyper
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:53 am Reply with quote
Seriously, Gintama deserved a higher spot. Not only do they break the 4th wall constantly, they devoted a full ten minutes of one episode doing so, as manequins (with the characters calling this "Live Action Gintama" no less), visiting the Sunrise studios and then ending with a plug for the switch to digital broadcasting. Fourth wall was nothing but dust particles by the time they were through with it. Very Happy
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I do know Excel Saga and Nurse Witch Komugi broke the fourth wall when I watch those show. I like show that broke fourth wall, it adds to the comedy for me. Laughing Awesome article, Gia. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:40 am Reply with quote
Gilles Poitras wrote:
In the DVD release of the famous play Sukeroku: Flower of Edo the 4th wall breaking scene is one that is traditionally ad-libbed. I won't say what the comment to the audience is to avoid posting a spoiler but it is funny.

You mean spoiler[the words by the tsūjin who passes between the legs?]
In the 'Sawamura Gennosuke V at the Kabuki-za in Shōwa 39' version, the tsūjin's ad-lib words were like this:
Quote:
新兵衞「股アくゞれ」通人「オヤまたくゞるんでげすか、またくゞりの裏とは一寸通ですな、ようがす、くゞりやせう(トよろしくくゞりぬけ、花道へ行きながら)實に驚きやしたね、さっぱり譯が分らねえぢやげえせんか、オヤオヤ、たアたも、おべゞも泥だらけ、この有樣をかの君が見たら、さぞ愛想をつかすことでげせうね、然しマア怪我のないのが何よりしあはせ、しあはせ、しあはせ、しあはせなら(ト流行唄の〽しあはせなら手をたゝこ」を下座に唄はせ、おかしみのふりよろしくあつて)オホン(ト思入れ〽うかれ鴉の唄になり向ふへは入る)。

Gilles Poitras wrote:
Breaking the 4th wall has long roots in Japanese popular entertainment. It is common in kabuki, often done in very funny ways.

Actually, the Japanese theatre's breaking the 4th wall had been done already in the mediaeval period.
In Noh and kyōgen, characters talk to the audience.
I reread Aoi no Ue (Attributed to Zeami. However, Sarugaku dangi says, '犬王は、上三花にて、つゐに中上にだに落ちず。中・下を知らざりし者也。音曲は中上斗歟。葵の上の能に、車に乘り、柳裏の衣踏み含み、車副の女に岩松、車の轅にすがり、橋がゝりにて、「三の車に法の道、火宅の門をや出でぬらん、夕顏の宿の破れ車、遣る方な」と、一聲て、遣りかけて、たぶ〱と言ひ流し、「憂世は牛の小車の、〱、廻るや」などやうの次第、「をぐるまの」、「まの」をはりにていふて、言ひ納めに、とたと拍子踏みし也。') in the Horiike shikigo bon edition and Shidōhōgaku in the Ōkura Torahiro bon edition.
Quote:
ワキ連そもそもこれは朱雀院に仕へ奉る臣下なり、さても左大臣のおん息女葵の上のおん物の怪以つての外にござ候ふほどに、貴僧高僧を請じ申され大法秘法醫療さまざまのおんことにて候へどもさらにそのしるしなし、ここに照日の巫とて隱れなき梓の上手の候ふを請じ、生き靈死靈の間を梓に掛け申さばやと存じ候

Quote:
罷り出たる者は、此當りに住居致す者で御座る。天下治り、めで度御代で御座れば、此間のあなたこなたの御茶の湯はおびたゞしい事で御ざる。夫に付、某も今日は山一つあなたへ茶くらべに參るが、折ふし茶の詰たが御ざらぬに依て、太郞くはじやを呼出し、伯父や人の方へ貸りに遣さうと存る。

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4