• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vampire Knight Guilty.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:11 am Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Well it appears Zero will have to keep drinking pureblood vampire blood on a regular basis. Only the blood of his master could have kept him from completely falling to level E. Both Kaname and Ichiru drank Shizuka's blood. My guess is that spoiler[absorbing Ichiru cures him permanently. Yes, you were right about that, too! However, I'm not entirely sure if it does cure him.]

P.S. In the manga, I think I remember Kaname saying something about Zero's drinking of Yuuki's blood helped awaken her memories.

Ah, his master. Okay. That's what done did it, not the pureblood part. The pureblood part will probably just give him badass powers, right? Right? Oh, come on, Zero has to get some superpowers. Otherwise, all he can do is angst. Razz

But...what about Maria Kurenai? If that's truly the case, he'd have to get a hold of her too. Not to mention that spoiler[drinking Ichiru dry is going to give him a mindrape of Shinji Ikari proportions. Poor thing.]
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:39 am Reply with quote
Maria Kuranai was merely a vessel. She is a weak vampire and guess Shizuka had planned on giving Maria her blood to strengthen her. But I don't see how that can happen now since Kaname and Ichiru got it first and now Shizuka's dead.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:52 am Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Maria Kuranai was merely a vessel. She is a weak vampire and guess Shizuka had planned on giving Maria her blood to strengthen her. But I don't see how that can happen now since Kaname and Ichiru got it first and now Shizuka's dead.

Confused Oh, I thought she said in the anime that Shizuka already gave her her blood because her body was so weak, and in return, Shizuka got to use her body.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:23 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I can't really remember the exact conversation with Maria but if Shizuka had already given her blood to her, wouldn't she be stronger? She still seemed kinda fragile to me. Also, the translation (or at least the one I saw) seemed a little off or maybe I misunderstood. At one point, Maria mentioned that Shizuka had a lover who was previously a vampire. It seemed odd to me because Shizuka had a lover who was previously a human but she turned into a vampire. She was also was betrothed to another pureblood vampire as part of an arranged marriage.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Weeeeell, just saw episode 5. Kaname has now risen from "far too shifty" status to "uber-douche."

On the plus side, I was tired of Yuuki being all waffly and inactive. Seriously, I so loved her character, and she's just gone and screwed it all up in the last three or four episodes. But MAN, has she made a comeback in this one!

Kaname tries to change the subject on her and work his chesticular charms on her frail feminine hormones and she's all like: "I SLAP yo' hand away, biatch! Stop lying and give me the truth, and for crying out loud, stop saying 'I love you,' this is more important!"

Yeah, I love Yuuki again now. But I am under the horrible impression that it won't last long as she seems to be sacrificing her will to find out the truth, as Kaname tells her the only way to unlock her past is to become his lover. Poor Zero, one more notch on the mindscrew stick when the truth comes out, I'd imagine. I wonder how he'll handle it?

So, it was a terrible cliffhanger, but I was happy that the show was going somewhere. Quality-wise it had really been heading south, and all the "I'm going to explain my innermost feelings in detail" thing was horribly obnoxious.

(When Kaname says they'll be "lovers," does he mean in the non-vampiric, extremely human sense as well? Cause if he bangs his own sister, his uber-douche status is going into new territories.)
BunnyCupCakes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:44 am Reply with quote
Lol

Episode 5 just gave out more evidence that the anime is totally anti-Kaname Laughing

All the anger and rebellion from Yuuki made Kaname seem more like the bad guy :[
I sure didn't see that coming ( it wasn't like that in the manga )
But it was funny to watch. Some manga fans got mad lol
qwertybob900

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:21 pm Reply with quote
BunnyCupCakes wrote:

Episode 5 just gave out more evidence that the anime is totally anti-Kaname Laughing

I love this I'm a yuuki and zero fan so Twisted Evil
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I dunno. Kaname seems to be about the same as he is in the manga. Course, I'm a YuukixZero fan, myself. While I wouldn't say Kaname is EVIL with a capital E, I don't think he's that great of a person. He comes across as arrogant and manipulative to me. Yeah, Zero has his faults but he seems more decent than Kaname.

That being said, I'm not the sort who goes around posting things like, "Kaname must die!" I'm glad this thread has remained civil. If I have one complaint about VK, it's that some of the fangirling goes WAAAY overboard.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:43 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:

That being said, I'm not the sort who goes around posting things like, "Kaname must die!" I'm glad this thread has remained civil. If I have one complaint about VK, it's that some of the fangirling goes WAAAY overboard.

Eh. This applies to any angsty shonen or shoujo series, really. Doesn't make a big difference.

I had a peek at the manga while I was at B&N the other day, and I do mean a peek, not much. The art appears more intricate from cover designs, but to be honest, I wasn't that impressed with the character art in the manga itself. I thought the facial expressions were undeveloped, and the characters themselves were a bit off-model (animation only term? oh well) with too much frequency. It kind of explains the anime's slight problem with static poses and unrealistic movement. You could blame that partly on the budget, but in many ways, a lot of these characters are stiff. The animation (and character designs) are not this show's selling point. But I like the story and the refreshing heroine.

I also prefer the anime's rendition of the scene where Zero first bites Yuuki, as that chapter is the one I read in the manga. It was set up better, it felt to me. In the manga it's very sudden and the blocking is raw, the facial expressions, again, kind of wooden. Don't know, I was just surprised at how underwhelming the manga appeared BUT I acknowledge that a lot of manga start out rough and take several chapters to find their comfort zone, right?

Can't wait for episode six. I'm on pins and needles as to how Zero and Yuuki are going to respond to Kaname's "proposal."
qwertybob900

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:03 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

I also prefer the anime's rendition of the scene where Zero first bites Yuuki, as that chapter is the one I read in the manga. It was set up better, it felt to me. In the manga it's very sudden and the blocking is raw, the facial expressions, again, kind of wooden. Don't know, I was just surprised at how underwhelming the manga appeared BUT I acknowledge that a lot of manga start out rough and take several chapters to find their comfort zone, right?

Can't wait for episode six. I'm on pins and needles as to how Zero and Yuuki are going to respond to Kaname's "proposal."

Yes i know i cann't wait and that part was the best.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:27 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
The animation (and character designs) are not this show's selling point. But I like the story and the refreshing heroine.

I think the character designs are beautiful (though I'll agree that characters are a bit static sometimes). I managed to get a friend to watch the show just because she thought it was so beautifully drawn (though the first season did have a dip at the end when things weren't quite as well done, but that's not uncommon).
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:32 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:
The animation (and character designs) are not this show's selling point. But I like the story and the refreshing heroine.

I think the character designs are beautiful (though I'll agree that characters are a bit static sometimes). I managed to get a friend to watch the show just because she thought it was so beautifully drawn (though the first season did have a dip at the end when things weren't quite as well done, but that's not uncommon).

Oh, they're very pretty. But the animation itself is poor, and what I really faulted the character designs for was indistinctiveness. They're all pretty, but they all look a little too similar to each other. There are certain scenes where I mistook Maria for Ruka and about a million where I confused Aidou for Ichijou. I think I mistook Yuuki for someone else once, too, which is a real problem! Either way, if the only thing that separates characters is hair and eye color, and all their body types and ESPECIALLY facial shapes are identical, that's what you call "poor character design." Facial shapes, even small tweaks in the length of someone's face, make a huge difference in whether you can recognize them or confuse them for someone else in anime. Actually, all the men's eye shapes are the same, what's up with that? Eh. I do think all the vampire dudes are pretty, though. Twisted Evil
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:02 am Reply with quote
Watched episode 6. Albeit with poor subs again. Nobody competent is subbing this right now, but fortunately VK uses a simple vocabulary and its characters speak slowly, so I can fill in the gaps...and poor grammar!

Can't say too much more other than that Kaname is an uber-douche filled with deceit and enormous self-puffery and series-wise, I don't think there's any possibility of him and Yuuki ending up together. It clearly doesn't fit. It's going to be an enormous challenge for the writers to flip the triangle back in Kaname's favor, and the only way they could do it at this point is to reveal the truth to Yuuki...but that truth, as Kaname points out, will probably make her hate him. So...yeah, I think Kaname has lost before he even got his feet off the ground.

Also...just as I had long feared...Shiki! Shiki! Nooooo... Sad
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:36 am Reply with quote
I had to admit that it is easy to get characters mixed up (though oddly enough, I don't think I ever had problems telling the difference between Ichiru and Zero Razz). I've never had this problem with the anime, but that could be because I read the manga and was paying attention to it more.

Voices and full colour help too.

And I feel for you about the subbing issue, I've been loyal to the group who hasn't gotten episode 3 out yet, so I'm a few episodes behind (though since I've read the manga, I know what's going to happen more or less).
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:27 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku, as far as the truth goes, you don't have to worry about Yuuki. Zero, on the other hand... well, let's just says he's NOT going to be happy about it.

Hope I'm not spoiling too much but it looks like it will be revealed in the next episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9