• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - DEATH DECAY CHAOS

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:21 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
agila61 wrote:
eyecatch

I find it funny how this poster uses the loaner word "eyecatch" as apposed to the English "bumper" to describe the outro/intro in anime...yet no one has berated him for choosing so. Shouldn't he catch the same hell as the one poster who prefers to use "cour" instead of "season"? I mean, it's only fair right?

No offense to you agila. Just trying to make a point.

...People get upset over the use of 'cour'? Why? That's so silly. And cours and seasons are completely different things, so I'm not sure why someone would complain.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:49 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
...People get upset over the use of 'cour'? Why? That's so silly. And cours and seasons are completely different things, so I'm not sure why someone would complain.

Which "cour" are you thinking of that is not one anime broadcast season, either Winter, Spring, Summer or Fall?

That is, "kuru" is from the French "cours" for course, referring to one of the four financial quarters, Jan/Mar, which normals call "winter", Apr/Jun, aka "Spring", Jul/Sep, aka "Summer", Oct/Dec, aka "Fall".

I guess druids would insist on using solar solstices and equinoxes, but the Japanese seem to work to the closest month.

While you may not have heard of these "season" things, they really are quite famous in temperate countries.
Iritscen
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:03 am Reply with quote
I've seen "season" used repeatedly to refer to episodes 1-26 of a series, whereas "cour" traditionally refers to a 13 episode block. That's the usefulness of the term "cour" to me, that it's specific and not subject to argument over definition.

Anyway, what I came here to say is, "Where the hell are the trailers?". Brian pointed out that there's no good way for fans to discover new series. But every time we bought a DVD of animé here in the States, there were trailers on it. And we watched the trailers, and lo, they were cool (except for Bandai's trailers, which sometimes sucked) and we said, "I need to find that show!"

So instead of streaming ads that have absolutely nothing to do with the animé fans watching, why not show us trailers for other animé series? I can't believe I even have to suggest this and the industry isn't already doing it.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:10 am Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
I've seen "season" used repeatedly to refer to episodes 1-26 of a series, whereas "cour" traditionally refers to a 13 episode block. That's the usefulness of the term "cour" to me, that it's specific and not subject to argument over definition. ...

Isn't that a legacy of a day when most anime was first released long after its broadcast season? I mean, isn't it so 2009?

Anyway, it seems like a confusion that will fade as people get used to the regular four-times-a-year ritual of checking out the latest new simulcasts.

When talking to people not yet immersed in anime fan culture "they have four 3-month broadcast seasons a year in Japan, with shows split between long running shows, two season shows, and single season shows" seems more natural than "thirteen shows makes a cours, some series are one cours shows and some series are two cours shows, and some series are a pair of one cours runs and some series are a pair of two cours runs and then some series just keep running."

I don't follow the question about the trailers. It seems like I can barely use the Funimation.com site on my 7" media tablet because of the difficulty of scrolling around the site on a touch screen device without accidentally launching a trailer. And I don't recall a series announcement on Crunchyroll without a preview trailer.
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:52 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

Which "cour" are you thinking of that is not one anime broadcast season, either Winter, Spring, Summer or Fall?

That is, "kuru" is from the French "cours" for course, referring to one of the four financial quarters, Jan/Mar, which normals call "winter", Apr/Jun, aka "Spring", Jul/Sep, aka "Summer", Oct/Dec, aka "Fall".

Haha, I like to use 'cour' instead of 'season' due to a disconnect I still have with the months part of each season.

When I hear the words "Winter season", I tend to think of Dec/Jan/Feb; "Spring" is Mar/Apr/May; "Summer" is Jun/Jul/Aug; and "Fall" is Sep/Oct/Nov. That's just how they're set in my mind, and I still get thrown off by it, especially when it comes to "Summer" since "Summer" has long since been defined by the American schooling system I was brought up with. 'Cour' gives me a new term to define how I want and I associate it with the financial quarters.

That's just how I separate things in my mind.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cl-shojo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:08 pm Reply with quote
This is kind of an aside, but...I'm surprised that person was so shocked at Escaflowne being one of Bandai's bestsellers. It came out during the VHS days when there weren't nearly as many anime titles available and people bought what they could, not to mention Bandai has been selling the series for 10+ years. Even though I don't have many Bandai series (all I have is G Gundam, Gundam Seed and Cowboy Bebop), I was able to guess four out of five of their bestselling titles (though I didn't realize Outlaw Star was such a hotseller). I definitely feel bad for the Gundam fans, though, and I may consider picking up Escaflowne or Scrapped Princess, which I had been interested in the past but never got around to buying.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:49 pm Reply with quote
cl-shojo wrote:
This is kind of an aside, but...I'm surprised that person was so shocked at Escaflowne being one of Bandai's bestsellers....
People easily project from series they are used to people talking about to sales figures, but for a series like Escaflowne that was first released on VHS, got a frustratingly edited and truncated broadcast run that acted as substantial teaser for DVD sales, and has a demographic that crosses over between shonen and shojo, its not really surprising that sales over a decade in print accumulated a high rank.

willag wrote:
... Haha, I like to use 'cour' instead of 'season' due to a disconnect I still have with the months part of each season.

Still, that's a confusion that stems from the period when both official releases and fansubs were more often consumed on a time delay from broadcast. Another year or two of people being used to four simulcast season launches per year, and we'll settle into thinking "Winter season is the one that starts during Winter" and habit will make it just taken for granted. You say "cours" to a 16 year old in 2014 who started watching anime on streaming sites on their cell phone when they were 14, they'll just give you a puzzled look.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:56 pm Reply with quote
The main problem is 'season' can mean anything. 13, 26, 52, or 500+. Despite western companies slapping 'season 1 part 1' on something like Yu Yu Hakusho, those are not seasons. Those anime all run consecutively. The entirety of YYH would be one season if you really wanted to use the word.

Cour is specific. It refers to the 12/13 episode benchmark of when new anime comes out.. with 4 cours in a year. So if I said a show ran 2 cours, you know exactly how long it is.. if I said 3 seasons.. it doesn't help much.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:10 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
The main problem is 'season' can mean anything. 13, 26, 52, or 500+ ...
Yes, people who were dedicated fans before simulcasts became so common will still have whatever confused muddled notion of what a Japanese broadcast season is that they picked up when they first started ~ including the naive notion that it is the same as the broadcast season of their own country ~ so you might have to say "broadcast season" for it to be specifically 3 months.

But if you watch the comments of newbies that came in via simulcast streaming, they mostly know that an anime broadcast season is three months long, some series last one season, some last two, and some have a second run that shows up one or two series later. Its something six-month-experts can explain it to total novices.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4