• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Groups: Blu-ray to Overtake DVD in 2013

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsc315

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:14 pm Reply with quote
The Thing is the DVD market has been around for 17 years and and Blu-ray market has been around for a mere 6 years. So I think there has to be more time for the market to even mature before this is even possible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

IMO blu-ray penetration is "on schedule", way ahead of DVD-audio (or Super Audio CD) that never become a successful successor of the inferior Audio CD. People seem to forget it took several years for the videotape to become ubiquitous in the home market, and then it also took the DVD several years to substitute VHS (even tough the DVD had the advantage of lacking format wars like beta vs. VHS or blu-ray vs HD-DVD).

"On schedule" as of when? There had been predictions that Blu-ray would overtake DVD in 2012. Your claim that it will happen in due time is not a schedule. Name dropping failed techs does not do your Blu-ray crusade here any good. If anything it just further illustrates the point that superior technology doesn't always replace existing tech when there is a format competition.

Quote:
I do not trust the "cloud", i prefer to have my discs where no EMP or hacker attack can wipe my whole collection in a blink.

Well I wasn't referring to online file-sharing. I am using media servers and Terabyte HDs to backup most of my disc based media.

Quote:
Resistance is futile, thou shall be assimilated.

People aren't machines and don't tech hop when there is little to gain.
Shugo2540

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I still like DVD sets because the art boxes and stuff are really cool. There is no need to make an art box for blu-rays because the whole series only needs one disc. I recently got a blu-ray player and have it hooked up to my 720p tv with hdmi and I'll admit it does look nice, I think as prices come down on blu-ray players and tv's more people will adopt them.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:56 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
"On schedule" as of when? There had been predictions that Blu-ray would overtake DVD in 2012.

You do realize at this moment in history economical predictions are no different from weather predictions? But that does not change the fact that each passing day blu-ray penetration increases with each new blu-ray player sold (even if they buy it just to play their old dvds and rent a blu-ray now and then). I don't see any statistics about people ditching their blu-rays because "there are not enough titles" or "it was a letdown". So it is a matter of giving time its due.

Quote:
Name dropping failed techs does not do your Blu-ray crusade here any good. If anything it just further illustrates the point that superior technology doesn't always replace existing tech when there is a format competition.

Quite the opposite, I name said failed technologies with the certainity that they have no similarities to blu-ray acceptance. It might take longer for blu-ray to reign supreme, but that is only because this was a double change of standards, from SD to HD and from DVD to blu-ray, when people switched to DVD they did not had to buy a new screen.

Quote:
Well I wasn't referring to online file-sharing. I am using media servers and Terabyte HDs to backup most of my disc based media.

Do you realize that hard disks have a life span and unlike video discs, when said hard disk fails you lose several titles, not just one.

Quote:
People aren't machines and don't tech hop when there is little to gain.

People are machines, only their programs is written in DNA and not assembly.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You do realize at this moment in history economical predictions are no different from weather predictions? But that does not change the fact that each passing day blu-ray penetration increases with each new blu-ray player sold (even if they buy it just to play their old dvds and rent a blu-ray now and then). I don't see any statistics about people ditching their blu-rays because "there are not enough titles" or "it was a letdown". So it is a matter of giving time its due.

But saying it's going to rain in May isn't a forecast or prediction. The predictions about Blu-ray overtaking DVD in 2012 were wrong. You can continue to waddle in vague eventualities all you like.

Quote:
Quite the opposite, I name said failed technologies with the certainity that they have no similarities to blu-ray acceptance. It might take longer for blu-ray to reign supreme, but that is only because this was a double change of standards, from SD to HD and from DVD to blu-ray, when people switched to DVD they did not had to buy a new screen.

Those tech were technologically superior to the media they sought to replace, that's the only similarity I am using to Blu-ray, and those superior media flopped. The reasons or excuses as to why each flopped are different.

Quote:

Do you realize that hard disks have a life span and unlike video discs, when said hard disk fails you lose several titles, not just one.

I realize that HDs have life spans that are unlike video discs, which why my HDs are the backup to my physical discs. Physical damage aside, I have yet to out live any of my Terabyte HDs or physical discs.

Quote:

Which makes us machine-like by design but our individual tastes and bases make our thoughts more irrational than any proper chunk of code.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:39 pm Reply with quote
i think in the Anime market, Blu-ray overtook dvd long time ago.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:05 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Past wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Not to slight the non otaku fans, but they just aren't as into anime and its culture to pay those prices (as is often seen here with how much people complain about paying the Japanese prices for anime like Fate/Zero).
Why don't people seem to get this? The amount someone spends on anime, or the size of their collection, is not a gauge of any sort of level of fandom or being "into it." Period.

Would you eat nothing but instant ramen and sacrifice going out just to be able to afford the new great anime? If not, then you can't argue you care about anime as much as the biggest otaku out there. They live and breath anime, and have their entire rooms dedicated to their hobby.

Spending money and time is one of the most significant ways to tell how much someone is into a hobby. I'm not going to try to say I'm a bigger NBA fan then someone else who watches every single game at the same time using a league pass. I only watch a couple games a week, so I'm not at that same kind of fandom.
Some people who have to eat nothing but instant ramen and sacrifice going out just to pay the bills would not be considered a paying the bills otaku would they? Also someone who defaulted a loan has to sell off their anime collection to avoid losing their home, doesn't make them less of a fan. I just wanted to point out the statement you made "they just aren't as into anime and its culture to pay those prices" reinforces the misconception (because it is) that ones devotion to what they love is measured simply by their collection and *ability* to buy a lot of anime to line their rooms wall-to-wall with it. I'd argue some do it merely for status recognition, at that point I'd question whether someone is really a fan.
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:

I realize that HDs have life spans that are unlike video discs, which why my HDs are the backup to my physical discs. Physical damage aside, I have yet to out live any of my Terabyte HDs or physical discs.
Relying on a single storage medium for the long term is foolhardy. The key is some sort of backup for everything. Which brings me to the question are BD's relatively resistant to disc rot anymore than DVDs? If so has it been documented or proven?
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:16 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
But saying it's going to rain in May isn't a forecast or prediction.

With current technology that is just nonsense, nobody predicts rainy days three months before the day.

Quote:
The predictions about Blu-ray overtaking DVD in 2012 were wrong.

Whether Blu-ray overtakes DVD in 2012 is yet to be seen, failed past predictions do not change the trend of increasing market assimilation.

Quote:
Those tech were technologically superior to the media they sought to replace,

I think they were not, DVD-audio was heavily (even more than DVD-video) copy-protected (in an era people are used to ripping their CDs) and SACD offered 1-bit audio (which needed conversion to use with modern equipment and software).

Quote:

I have yet to out live any of my Terabyte HDs or physical discs.

You will, unless your lifespan is really short.

Quote:
Quote:

Which makes us machine-like by design but our individual tastes and bases make our thoughts more irrational than any proper chunk of code.

The irrationality that you assumes makes us different from machines can and will be understood in the next 20 years as DNA is decoded andunderstood. A faulty windows installation is just as irrational as a human and then some.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:24 pm Reply with quote
@RyanSaotome:

I think you've made some kind of Freudian tangeant into a "real fans" argument. Let's get back on the horse! Regardless of who can claim the dubious title of being a true fan, there are certainly some who put more money into this than others, no disagreement there!

Be that as it may, should anime really cater just to them? Many view the trend of "anime for otaku" as an atrophy of the industry. This anime might do well on it's own terms, but this isn't necessarily a good long term goal. This anime is too bizarre for wider audiences; it's not like it should disappear altogether, but diversification is where greater profits and ultimately growth lies.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Relying on a single storage medium for the long term is foolhardy. The key is some sort of backup for everything. Which brings me to the question are BD's relatively resistant to disc rot anymore than DVDs? If so has it been documented or proven?

I could have 10 different HD backups in different locations across the US, it's still a single storage medium and there's tons of redundancy. If we were talking in terms of business backups then a single storage medium could be disastrous but when it comes to consumers, a single backup device is more than adequate.

DVDs have an estimated life of 30-100 years.
BDs have an estimated life of 100-150 years.

Quote:
With current technology that is just nonsense, nobody predicts rainy days three months before the day.

And yet people tried to predict blu-ray's success 5 years in advance.
Quote:

Whether Blu-ray overtakes DVD in 2012 is yet to be seen, failed past predictions do not change the trend of increasing market assimilation.

You are posting a thread about for the Japanese Blu-ray overtaking DVD in 2013 and it has been accepted fact that Japanese latch onto new tech at a faster rate than other countries.
Quote:

I think they were not, DVD-audio was heavily (even more than DVD-video) copy-protected (in an era people are used to ripping their CDs) and SACD offered 1-bit audio (which needed conversion to use with modern equipment and software).

Copyright protection is a form of technological advancement. Again, why they failed is beside the point.

Quote:
You will, unless your lifespan is really short.

This is assuming I have no plan of replacing or upgrading my HDs. My first HD was 20GB and I upgrade my HDs on a regular basis. So long as the original discs and my HDs don't suddenly die at the same time I am setup to be able to replace either as I need.

Quote:
The irrationality that you assumes makes us different from machines can and will be understood in the next 20 years as DNA is decoded andunderstood. A faulty windows installation is just as irrational as a human and then some.

Can and will be? Sorry but I am REALLY tired of the amount of self-serving prognostication found on these forums. "I may be wrong now but sometime in the future I'll be right!"

I don't know when or if Blu-rays will ever be the dominant physical media, you clearly do. I have other crap to do today than debate with a prophet.
Have fun.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4