• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Stream to end scanlation of Viz Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:57 am Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:

Mind you, I'm not defending the younger crowd. I'm just saying I can understand why they would lash out the way they would. I'm pretty sure they could actually sit and wait a couple of weeks behind the Japanese. Unfortunately, many of them don't want to.

they really don't have to wait couple week per ch because they will be still reading 1 ch every week if just don't worry about Japan.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:43 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
they really don't have to wait couple week per ch because they will be still reading 1 ch every week if just don't worry about Japan.

Fine, but the people who've read from the weekly shonen jump stuff from scanlations every week are not going to care because they feel like Viz is the big parent telling them to wait. Just the fact they're told they have to wait at all regardless of how short the wait is, instead of reading it as soon as they want to will make them lash out in the first place. By lashing out, they're basically saying, "it's not fair god damn it! You can't tell me what to do!"

For the teens and even college-aged students, that's the big mountain to climb over. Getting these people to care enough to feel like waiting, regardless of how long it is.
vashna

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:46 am Reply with quote
In a weird twist of fate, I can certainly relate to watching DBZ on Toonami after school as a little kid. I remember always doing that as a way to cool off after school, along with shows like ReBoot. Strangely enough we were recently talking about that show on these forums. Anyways, Spotlesseden is right to say that they wouldn't have to wait if they were subscribers, since it would still be a chapter a week, though I think they've been convinced that they are entitled to something for nothing.

By the way, as an aside I was also under the impression that it took more time to translate anime than it did manga, especially when factoring in the dub process.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:51 am Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
By lashing out, they're basically saying, "it's not fair god damn it! You can't tell me what to do!"

For the teens and even college-aged students, that's the big mountain to climb over. Getting these people to care enough to feel like waiting, regardless of how long it is.

It's things like this that make me fear for the future, because of this impatient generation.... seriously...
ElderlyGoose

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:36 am Reply with quote
baadaku12345 wrote:
What mangastream WONT tell you, is that they actually make money off of scanlating the work (through advertizing). They're making a lot of money off of someone else's work. VIZ is 100% in the right for removing those titles. They also need to redraw certain portions of the artwork, making it look like garbage.

2 things wrong with this.

1 - they don't profit. How do you think you pay for a server that gets hammered by that many hits every Wednesday? Even this site has advertising. It's in the nature of the internet. Even if they did to a megaupload level they'd put the money back into the place.

2 - they didn't make it look like garbage.

Look enough is enough. The site has dropped the Viz titles, Viz has it's SJA. We need to move on and not get flustered by the people who are idiots and just crying about having to pay for manga.
baadaku12345

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:23 pm Reply with quote
ElderlyGoose wrote:
baadaku12345 wrote:
What mangastream WONT tell you, is that they actually make money off of scanlating the work (through advertizing). They're making a lot of money off of someone else's work. VIZ is 100% in the right for removing those titles. They also need to redraw certain portions of the artwork, making it look like garbage.

2 things wrong with this.

1 - they don't profit. How do you think you pay for a server that gets hammered by that many hits every Wednesday? Even this site has advertising. It's in the nature of the internet. Even if they did to a megaupload level they'd put the money back into the place.

2 - they didn't make it look like garbage.

Look enough is enough. The site has dropped the Viz titles, Viz has it's SJA. We need to move on and not get flustered by the people who are idiots and just crying about having to pay for manga.

1. You're telling me that 100% went to server cost? Be realistic. Even if it was, they're still receiving money for stealing other work.

2- I've compared their scans of Naruto to Alpha, SJ Alpha's looks way better. It's not white and blotchy looking like mangastream's stuff. Here take a look at this forum post to see just how bad mangastream scans are.

Last edited by baadaku12345 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:28 pm Reply with quote
baadaku12345 wrote:

1. You're telling me that 100% went to server cost? Be realistic. Even if it was, they're still receiving money for stealing other work.

I actually heard something about how some extra revenue went to paying the scanlators.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote
yeah much of the hate about viz not being able to get their services out to other countries is misblamed. they dont handle that, shuiesha does.

and about the gap, ts really not that important to me either,but its still nicce to have it close, but lets be honest here,the people who have been pirating, are still going to be doing so.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
baadaku12345 wrote:

I actually heard something about how some extra revenue went to paying the scanlators.

then that's very wrong. You shouldn't make any money from using other people's work.
ElderlyGoose

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:23 am Reply with quote
baadaku12345 wrote:
2- I've compared their scans of Naruto to Alpha, SJ Alpha's looks way better. It's not white and blotchy looking like mangastream's stuff. Here take a look at this forum post to see just how bad mangastream scans are.

The first one I agree with but tbh I prefer it when they leave the ads/etc in it. The idea of reading shonen jump online is that I'm reading shonen jump, not the book that I'm likely to get from viz later down the line anyways.
MrXarnus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:40 am Reply with quote
While I can understand why there are people who hate Viz now for ending scanlations on mangastream (for the SJ titels, that is), you have to remind yourself that these people grew up with scanlations and free manga. Viz can't force these kind of people to stop reading illegal scans for free, and start paying for the scans.
I won't read SJA if it becomes available in my region (if it ever does) but the only thing I fear the most is digital-only titels. If they start to do those things, I may join the Viz hate bandwagon. Good thing I didn't read print SJ before it went digital, but I think a magazine and GN's are different.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:04 am Reply with quote
MrXarnus wrote:
While I can understand why there are people who hate Viz now for ending scanlations on mangastream (for the SJ titels, that is), you have to remind yourself that these people grew up with scanlations and free manga. Viz can't force these kind of people to stop reading illegal scans for free, and start paying for the scans.
I won't read SJA if it becomes available in my region (if it ever does) but the only thing I fear the most is digital-only titels. If they start to do those things, I may join the Viz hate bandwagon. Good thing I didn't read print SJ before it went digital, but I think a magazine and GN's are different.

If they're not ever going to pay for their entertainment, then why do they matter? Why should Viz let these people keep pirating when it's not going to "bring them more fans" (the most common excuse for scanlations when a legal alternative is available too). Viz certainly can't force anyone to buy anything, but they certainly have the right to stop illegal acts done with their licenses. Especially if the majority of the people they're pissing off wouldn't have given them a dime anyway. All those fans yelling "I've never bought from Viz and now I never will!" really don't mean a damn thing at the end of the day. Rolling Eyes
MrXarnus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:23 am Reply with quote
ZepysGirl wrote:
MrXarnus wrote:

If they're not ever going to pay for their entertainment, then why do they matter? Why should Viz let these people keep pirating when it's not going to "bring them more fans" (the most common excuse for scanlations when a legal alternative is available too). Viz certainly can't force anyone to buy anything, but they certainly have the right to stop illegal acts done with their licenses. Especially if the majority of the people they're pissing off wouldn't have given them a dime anyway. All those fans yelling "I've never bought from Viz and now I never will!" really don't mean a damn thing at the end of the day. Rolling Eyes

You've got a good point, but these kind of people will always find a way to get free manga. For every scanlation site the pull of the web (or, in this case, delete a few titeles) much more are created. Viz will have to learn (and other publishers) that stopping scanlations completely is impossible. (I don't protect the Viz haters in any way, I don't read scanlations because I don't like reading on a electronic screen.) Look at France, there are a lot of fans who scanlate, but also buy but them if the product is released, because the official release is (from most publishers in France) way than the illegal. If Viz continous to improve the quality of there product's, they win over fans. (and no digital only releases, but there don't seem to be any
, and I hope it stays that way...)
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:12 pm Reply with quote
MrXarnus wrote:
ZepysGirl wrote:
MrXarnus wrote:

You've got a good point, but these kind of people will always find a way to get free manga. For every scanlation site the pull of the web (or, in this case, delete a few titeles) much more are created. Viz will have to learn (and other publishers) that stopping scanlations completely is impossible. (I don't protect the Viz haters in any way, I don't read scanlations because I don't like reading on a electronic screen.) Look at France, there are a lot of fans who scanlate, but also buy but them if the product is released, because the official release is (from most publishers in France) way than the illegal. If Viz continous to improve the quality of there product's, they win over fans. (and no digital only releases, but there don't seem to be any
, and I hope it stays that way...)

If they can always find a way to get it free. They shouldn't complain about it since Viz has nothing to do with them. They won't give viz any money either way. Viz or other manga companies never said, they are going to shut down all scanlations. Do you know that viz doesn't shutdown mangastream right? Mangastream still have some viz titles on their website.

What's the problem here? You read your free manga, viz makes their money. Are they salty because Viz makes money?
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

If they can always find a way to get it free. They shouldn't complain about it since Viz has nothing to do with them. They won't give viz any money either way. Viz or other manga companies never said, they are going to shut down all scanlations.

What's the problem here? You read your free manga, viz makes their money. Are they salty because Viz makes money?

Trust me, I don't understand either. I even posed a similar question on Viz' Facebook and got no replies. Why not just find another source and move on, if that's what they are planning on doing? Is it trying to fight the "principle of the matter" that Viz cut their ties, so now is some evil force to battle against?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5