• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Editorial: An Open Letter to the Industry

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheVok

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Fear Ghoul wrote:

Anime companies can get anime on TV for free, they can watch it legally on the internet for free, they can even buy average priced anime DVD's that are often of good quality (not dissapointed by a single one of my DVD's quality yet except Naruto), but the vast majority will now and forever just download the fansubs, because the horror of waiting that extra year or two for a release is just too much for them to bear, or the idea of paying a single useable denomination of currency is absurd when they can instead get it for free without repercussion.

I think you meant to begin that sentence with 'Anime fans,' not 'Anime companies.'
Talon87

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:
No one is asking you to be happy with advertisements.
And I didn't ask for personal attacks or "put words in my mouth"-isms like this. O_o Zac asked a sincere question ("Why do you all hate commercials so much?") and, feeling it was a fairly straightforward answer, I did my part to provide it. I didn't say I was one of those super-unhappy un-capitalistic people Zac had a beef with. I saw myself as being more on his side of the fence than theirs. And I'd say, after reading your reply, that my personal sentiments are very much in line with yours -- I hate commercial advertisements, but I also don't freak out over 'em. I change the channel, leave the room, or (95% of the time) daydream until the next thing I know the show's back on the air and I refocus. (Hooray for imagination! Smile) If it's a murder mystery, I take the pause to think about the clues. If it's a comedy, I relive some of the jokes. If it's Jeopardy, then heck, I probably just daydream completely unrelated stuff.

But yeah, please don't go off on some "You're such a lamer, dude" rant with me when I was just trying to explain why it is logically defensible for people to lash out at (American) commercials the way they do. Zac seemed to think it was completely irrational, and I respectfully disagreed and wanted to say why. I sympathize with these folks. Our commercials do suck, and (as I said before), it is because they are not entertaining and people want to be entertained when they are committed to sitting in front of the TV. Super Bowl Sunday proves that commercials can be entertaining. Unfortunately, the industry is all about dumping millions of dollars into SFX instead of dumping a more conservative couple hundred thousand dollars into good script writing.

And when did I bitch about the ANN ads? I think the only ads I've ever nagged about here (and I'm not even sure if I joined in on the public nagging or not) were those God-awful "The Fuccons" skins that ANN defaulted to for a bit. (Seems like it was just yesterday, but how many years has it been now?) Man. Those were creepy awful, and it was that day I learned how to choose my own skin here. Laughing ANN provided a way for me to escape the horror, and so there was no major issue. Unfortunately, if the Fuccons (or other horrific products) pop up in a 15-second commercial in the middle of an episode of Naruto, most anime fans aren't going to take kindly to it. That's the big problem -- the industry can't simultaneously switch to using commercials to pay the bills *and* cater to customers' (greedy) demands for a way to escape said commercials. The people paying for those commercials (corporations) aren't that stupid; if they see that their ads are being easily navigated around, they're going to quit funding that anime.

If you weren't being accusative, sorry, but I took it that way pretty early on in your reply. :\
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:08 pm Reply with quote
artfx wrote:
R315r4z0r wrote:
Edit: Well thinking back on what I just quoted, maybe possibly make it in its own unique format, this way if people manage to hack it out of the box, they can't play it.
Anime smile

This makes sense, but... Wink

In a way, a film reel is a unique format that can't be played out of its box, but people will literally sit in the theatre with a DV cam and shoot the film right off the screen and then put it up on the internet.

You bring up a valid point, however you also need to take into consideration what people actually want and compare and contrast it to what people can actually do.

The reason people watch fansubs are because of the ease of use and the ability to acquire easily. Not to mention the fact that they are often distributed in high-quality. If I was the leader of a fansubbing group, and I was hosting your favorite Anime, however I released it in terribly pixilated quality, with a resolution of possibly smaller than 800 x 600, and the sound so bad you know it was obviously recorded via microphone, would you be AS interested (if at all) to download it?
bloopletech

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I believe there is a central problem to how Anime (and Manga) is distributed in America (and Australia). The problem is that when you watch an anime episode, you are probably only going to watch it once. It's like any other TV series; you get enjoyment from watching it, then you move on to the next episode or show. This throwaway attitude is present in Anime itself, i.e. reusing shots, not putting detail in unless it's nessacery.

In this context, purchasing an anime episode makes no sense whatsoever. If I buy an anime DVD, it would only be if that anime was a favourite - the majority of anime are enjoyable, but I don't want to pay big bucks so I can keep it around forever, when I'm only going to watch it once. The expectation that the Anime companies have - that if you want anime you will buy a DVD - is completely out of whack with what the consumer wants. Paying $30 (AUD) or more for a product I'm going to use once is not going to happen.

I believe that this is a major reason that people watch fansubs - you can watch anime for free, rather than paying $7.50 an episode.

If the anime companies charged, for example, $0.50 to watch an anime episode once, with no hassles and having to get torrent links, etc. then a lot of people would probably pay for them instead of watching fansubs.

It saddens me to think that Anime could fade away merely because of the idiocy of production/distribution companies, and their unwillingness to change _at all_. If Japan had never changed from the ways of the past, would Japan be the economic powerhouse it is today? The world moves on, and it'll move on without the anime companies if they refuse to change.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:17 pm Reply with quote
bloopletech wrote:
I believe there is a central problem to how Anime (and Manga) is distributed in America (and Australia). The problem is that when you watch an anime episode, you are probably only going to watch it once. It's like any other TV series; you get enjoyment from watching it, then you move on to the next episode or show. This throwaway attitude is present in Anime itself, i.e. reusing shots, not putting detail in unless it's nessacery.

I agree to an extent. It really depends on what your watching. There are many different series out there that have loads of re-watch value.

Personally, I have watched the entire series of Fullmetal Alchemist more than 6 times. And Inuyasha a little over twice.

But still, like I said, it really depends on what your watching. There are many different series that aren't worth watching again. However good or bad they where, they just wont give the ~spark~ they gave when watching it for the first time. A series off the top of my head, in my opinion, would be Kannazuki No Miko, or Chobits. I liked both, but they wouldn't be as good watching for a second time.
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:28 pm Reply with quote
bloopletech wrote:

In this context, purchasing an anime episode makes no sense whatsoever. If I buy an anime DVD, it would only be if that anime was a favourite - the majority of anime are enjoyable, but I don't want to pay big bucks so I can keep it around forever, when I'm only going to watch it once. The expectation that the Anime companies have - that if you want anime you will buy a DVD - is completely out of whack with what the consumer wants. Paying $30 (AUD) or more for a product I'm going to use once is not going to happen.

I believe that this is a major reason that people watch fansubs - you can watch anime for free, rather than paying $7.50 an episode.

If the anime companies charged, for example, $0.50 to watch an anime episode once, with no hassles and having to get torrent links, etc. then a lot of people would probably pay for them instead of watching fansubs.

It saddens me to think that Anime could fade away merely because of the idiocy of production/distribution companies, and their unwillingness to change _at all_. If Japan had never changed from the ways of the past, would Japan be the economic powerhouse it is today? The world moves on, and it'll move on without the anime companies if they refuse to change.

Exactly. Anime is TV. People don't want to pay for individual TV shows that they can see for free except for the cable fee to watch as many or as few as they want in a month, and that's part of the difficulty in marketing TV shows on DVD. Especially when they're NOT shown on TV like most anime. American TV show DVDs sell well cause people have seen it, and decided that they want to own it, and the vast majority of poeple who watch TV shows here don't go out and buy the dvds. In fact, I'd say it would be silly to expect someone to buy the DVDs of every TV show they watch, yet this is what is expected of anime fans, who are by and large young people with little disposable income.
Fabe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Fear Ghoul wrote:
Quote:
The other issue, I supposed, is why fansubbers, who make no money on this at all and in fact lose money just doing what they love and still have to work on top of it can do a better job than people who are getting paid to do this? People who are doing it for free are doing a better job than people who are supposed professionals? Something is wrong there.

Accurate translations are a very grey area. Most people talk about accurate translations without knowing more than a handful of japanese words, and hence not really knowing first hand what they're talking about. I have heard of a few translations which seem downright silly, but all in all I've never really found it a problem. And fansubs often add in swear words, when our swear words don't compare to japanese swear words. To this day, some fansubbers still use Arucard, despite the fact that Hirano himself has verified that his name is Alucard, and the common sense element for anyone who's read far into the manga or seen the end of the TV series.

I've wondered the same thing,unless you're fluent in Japanese how do you know the fansubbers are getting it right? Now I'm fully ready to admit the dub dialog is'nt alway spot on, to prove that all you have to do is watch a anime dub with the subtitles on but I also realize thatsprobably due to trying to sync things up better so we don't get the old Speed Racer/Godzilla thing and also a matter of what might sound better English. But in the matter of Fansubs VS the licensed Subtitles how can one tell which is more accurate unless they know the language ? Also don't the studios doing the dubbing get a copy of the scripts from the original studio or am I mistaken on that?
Vortextk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Talon87 wrote:
And I didn't ask for personal attacks

[...]
If you weren't being accusative, sorry, but I took it that way pretty early on in your reply. :\

It was directed at you mostly, but was not an attack, sorry. Looks like we're apologizing to eachother. I get that you may be sympathizing with people that hate them, but people also thank me like I'm Ghandi when I tell them a movie is subtitled at work and if they still wanted to rent it. Of course 90% of the replies go something like "Oh man, thanks. I don't want to read my freaking movie. You sure saved me on that one". I have to disagree that those people even need sympathizing with. Commercials really suck most of the time, but it gets you "free" stuff, so actively speaking out about them like its forced amputation just makes me Rolling Eyes .(Not pointed at you Wink )
hetdog

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:14 pm Reply with quote
sure fansubing may be wrong and illegal, but come on fansuber translations are great! i baught anime on dvd for about 3-4 years on dvd before i started downloading fansubs and some of the subtitles i got with the dvd's where pathetic. i can remember watching nadesco in english (coz i was bored and wanted to lol at the stupid american voices they gave them) with the subtitles on. it was like i was watching 2 diferent shows that used the same animation since the spoken dialog and the subtitles that should of corresponded with that dialog where nowhere near the same. other dvd's i had just had subtitles that where that poor that i needed fansubs in order to understand what they where saying since the subtitles on the dvd looked as though they had been done by a raving derelict. also waiting up to 2 - 3 years for an anime to be licenced and put on tv /dvd is pathetic when i can get it days after its released in japan with subtitles far superior to that of the dvd release

so if getting fansubs is killing the indistry and makes me a thief for downloading then i guess im a thief then.

but if they want my money maybee they should bother to provide decent subtitles, licence things earlyer and get a wider range of anime (since most of the anime i can buy in my area is either all mecha series or series like naruto, dragonball z etc. mostly kids stuff Anime cry)
Vortextk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:21 pm Reply with quote
hetdog wrote:
sure fansubing may be wrong and illegal, but come on fansuber translations are great! i baught anime on dvd for about 3-4 years on dvd before i started downloading fansubs and some of the subtitles i got with the dvd's where pathetic.

I don't really know why you would be one to notice or care about bad subtitles. Please be a joke account/post, please.
eaglestorm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:33 pm Reply with quote
posterior_praiser wrote:

Exactly. Anime is TV. People don't want to pay for individual TV shows that they can see for free except for the cable fee to watch as many or as few as they want in a month, and that's part of the difficulty in marketing TV shows on DVD. Especially when they're NOT shown on TV like most anime. American TV show DVDs sell well cause people have seen it, and decided that they want to own it, and the vast majority of poeple who watch TV shows here don't go out and buy the dvds. In fact, I'd say it would be silly to expect someone to buy the DVDs of every TV show they watch, yet this is what is expected of anime fans, who are by and large young people with little disposable income.

Totally agree. When I buy DVDs, it's because I'm already familiar with the stories and know what to expect. Every single popular TV series that has managed to be successful with DVDs sales are because people already knew about them. Try marketing new shows on DVDs and see how successful you'd be. Just imagine if the only way you can watch American TV shows are by purchasing them. It's totally ludicrous.

The industry has to expose the people to the new series either through previews, advertising, show it on the local TVs, etc. You can't just expect to release new series with little or no informations and expect them to be a hit.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:37 pm Reply with quote
eaglestorm wrote:
The industry has to expose the people to the new series either through previews, advertising, show it on the local TVs, etc. You can't just expect to release new series with little or no informations and expect them to be a hit.

Some would throw Haruhi into your equation and watch the gears malfunction, however.(None of the staff have quoted exact figures, but compared to the downloads, the sales were poor/mediocre it seems) Yours is definitely a line of reasoning we share but it is obviously not the only factor here.
eaglestorm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:

I don't really know why you would be one to notice or care about bad subtitles. Please be a joke account/post, please.

It's ironic, isn't it? Laughing But you'll see that so often if you frequent fansub forums.
eaglestorm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:

Some would throw Haruhi into your equation and watch the gears malfunction, however.(None of the staff have quoted exact figures, but compared to the downloads, the sales were poor/mediocre it seems) Yours is definitely a line of reasoning we share but it is obviously not the only factor here.

Of course, it isn't. Nothing is that simple.

However, as I stated earlier, those who downloads subs may be potential customers but they are not real customers. Sure, you can expect some who will buy but the percentage will be very low. You target those who would buy DVDs, not those who wants free entertainments. How was the marketing done for the release of Haruhi? Put it out with no fanfare and expects the hordes of anime fans who had downloaded to beat a path to the stores?
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:16 am Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:
hetdog wrote:
sure fansubing may be wrong and illegal, but come on fansuber translations are great! i baught anime on dvd for about 3-4 years on dvd before i started downloading fansubs and some of the subtitles i got with the dvd's where pathetic.

Now I'm wondering if this person bought official DVDs and not bootlegs. I can attest to the fact the bootleg subtitles suck compared to fansubs. Often times they dont even translate the english words right.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 35 of 50