• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FUNimation to Distribute Gungrave Anime for Geneon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:38 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
It's not that FUNi sucks, or anything; I think everyone was expecting something a little more exciting than mostly re-issued versions of older shows. I mean it'll be nice to get some of these titles for all of a single Ulysses S. Grant, but when you make a year-end countdown of anime licenses and call it New Show A-Go-Go, um...the word "new" really applies only to 2, 3 of these licenses, and the rescues are a nice thought, but why didn't they have more that was actually all new?

Y'know, when I first saw the 'New Show A-Go-Go' announcement, I couldn't figure out why Funi would dilute exposure for new liscenses by announcing so many at once. It all made a lot more sense when the first recsue came up.

Think about it, really- they want us to know these are coming out again, but it's not something that's going to make big waves at a con panel or whatnot... this really seems like a good way to do it. As for nitpicking about the name, these are all 'new' for Funimation. If you can think of a good way to say 'new-for-us-but-not-really-new-becuase-another-company-released-them-once-before show a-go-go', do say so. Maybe Funi'll buy the slogan from ya for the next round of rescues.

We'll probably get more brand-new shows during con season, just like normal. Be patient, and enjoy the revivals- there's some good stuff coming back.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:49 am Reply with quote
Yeah, unless there's going to be another countdown, I'm slightly disappointed (key word being "slightly"). My spirits soared after hearing more Slayers, since it wasn't expected (but much welcomed), but Gungrave wasn't in the clues and quite low on my "future watch" list. Now tomorrow I'm torn between Soul Eater and Eva, which were the two I was most anticipating a license for. One's another excellent BONES production of a great manga series and the other is EVA in movie-budget goodness. That's a tough choice for me.

But hey, if there's another countdown relatively soon, I'll be cool, especially since there are some other Geneon rescues I'd like to see (Tenjho Tenge, Cardcaptor Sakura, Serial Experiments Lain, and though I own Samurai Champloo, a Watanabe series should never be OOP). And like I said, we got Slayers unexpectedly, so that's always a bonus. I just hope we get FMA "2", Shakugan no Shana 2 and Higurashi 2 eventually.
BenBrown

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:01 am Reply with quote
The indignation of some of the posts in this thread really just make me happy, it's great to know that when you come back from vacation some things will have never changed Smile Ah anime forum source of angst, you are so consistent.

If Lance is still around reading this, take it back to your coworkers when they get back that there are plenty of us out here that appreciate what you're doing.

And I mean really, where's the Over Drive license? Is it just me? Oh, it is just me Sad

Also, I'm totally happy about Gungrave, I'll be buying this in boxed set the when it's available on rightstuf with one of the funimation sales.
mastertr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:05 am Reply with quote
Heh, I'm not a huge fan of shounen series, so Gungrave doesn't really excite me, but I do give Funimation props for doing SOMETHING. Even if it doesn't please everyone, they are doing their job and bringing anime to America. A rescue license is still a license, and for those who are fans of Gungrave, give props to Funimation for getting this series out again. Maybe this will even give those who haven't seen the series yet a chance at watching it.

Personally, I am with the couple people on page 1 of this discussion that want Cardcaptor Sakura to be rescued Wink. Lets bring back one of the best magical girl series of all time =P
TheTheory

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:07 am Reply with quote
ok, wow, this one totally threw me for a loop. Now I've got to cross my fingers for Soul Eater tomorrow, as I have zero interest in Eva. Plus, the vile angst that will be seething around here will be totally worth it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:10 am Reply with quote
isn't this flooding the market with all the announcments?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:24 am Reply with quote
All I can say is this; I really hope the new Eva 1.0 movie is licensed tommrow. I've probably heard of title, but I've never seen this show.

In all seriousness though, over the course of the eight days,Funimation has licensed some pretty interesting anime. Hopefully, the new eva 1.0 movie will be licensed tommorow though, that would be a great way to start the new year.
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:03 am Reply with quote
Humm none of these liscences are particularly interesting to me (except maybe count of monte cristo), and it to me feels like if Funi were going to announce some new Geneon rescues that they'd be well, better ones. There are a number of older series in limbo that have far more sales potential IMO.
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Jedi General wrote:
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
I've never played the games, but you're doing yourself a disservice by not watching Gungrave.

I second this. Gungrave is a great show. It sets the standard when it comes to video game-based anime.

EDIT: Darn typos. I shouldn't post so late at night ...

Maybe, but is it too much to ask for something else they could have easily rescued from Geneon's back catalog that more people would be, you know, interested in?

By interested, do you mean by what you're interested in or what everyone is interested in? I ask because Gungrave isn't an unpopular show, just full of people who have never tried the games and yet call them sh!t? The worst one wasn't great, the second one was pretty good though, not an epic game or anything, but worth the play. Its basically just showing how much destruction can be in one game and at the same time not making it too easy. The only reason i don't agree with this so called rescue is because Gungrave had been out for so long before, they could've grabbed a more recent release or a new one altogether.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm all for supporting companies bringing out more anime at this time considering the economic situation we're in these days, and I'm especially supportive of the fact that they come in sets. No time for downloads or single series... I'll forget what with work and studying.

The Count of Monte Cristo I'm certainly looking forward to. Missed that one!

More importantly, I think it would behoove some of you posters to be a bit less harsh in referencing shows as "crap." I'm excited about some of these, and the rest I hope finds it's audience.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Hey, funi: Here's a simple way of not letting this happen again:

It's Funimations's "New Show a Go Go!" and the description is

"10 days of new acquisitions! Some old favorites you've been asking for, and some straight off the boat from Japan! Tune in each day to see what we announce next, you never know what it might be!"

That single paragraph would have made all the whiners (well, a good bit of them) go away.

The reason people are annoyed is because they feel trolled, not because of what was actually announced. That means the fault lies in the PR department for going to far.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:09 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
That means the fault lies in the PR department for going to far.

Or maybe the fans could turn the whiny entitled demanding attitude down to maybe an 8. It's a bunch of licenses and distribution announcements, why people allow themselves to get all worked up over it and cry about 'disappointment' when it isn't exactly what they wanted or whatever is pointless and lame.

Overall it was a relatively small PR campaign, one that's taking place when most people are traditionally on vacation and aren't paying attention anyway.

Honestly I can see saying "huh, that's kinda lame" when the hints suggested something bigger or newer and instead they announce a Gungrave box set, but the level of crying and moaning and behaving as though Funimation's PR team personally came to your house and pissed in your corn flakes because they didn't announce Soul Eater or whatever is ludicrous and childish.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Honestly I can see saying "huh, that's kinda lame" when the hints suggested something bigger or newer and instead they announce a Gungrave box set, but the level of crying and moaning and behaving as though Funimation's PR team personally came to your house and pissed in your corn flakes because they didn't announce Soul Eater or whatever is ludicrous and childish.

Hey, what I do with my sex life is MY BIDNESS!
vbann

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:24 pm Reply with quote
call me crazy but im betting my money on either gun sword or tenchi muyo
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Funimation will get Trigun, that'd be a money maker.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8