• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Hiiro Tale

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:10 am Reply with quote
From my blog:

The impressive:

Fate/Zero part 2 - like season 1, I'm once again impressed with its execution of superior animation, style, characters, and storyline.
Sankarea - surprised me quite a lot. This is an ecchi show done RIGHT.
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia - hot ghost troll, great animation, entertainment on a Sunday night.
Jormungand - Koko is loco. That is all.
Accel World - great series and impressive. I don't care how the protagonist looks like Razz

Kinda meh:

Medaka Box - I expected a lot more from this although I'll watch it for the lulz.
Eureka Seven: Ao - although I like the original series, this sequel is not living up to my current expectations although I still have hope.
Mysterious Girlfriend X - interesting series although it could be executed better. Mixed thoughts about this atm.
Is this a Zombie? Season 2 - I just watch this for the lulz.
Hyouka - ok, I would post a long explanation on this but I'll probably just do it in a review when series is finished. Right now, I have mixed feelings.
Zetman - gorelicious.

Inb4 drop:

Hiiro no Kakera - stop trying to make me snooze. Please.
Area no Kishi - with the most recent episode, this one might go into the meh section. After the previous 19 episodes though, I'm not enjoying this that much.
Ozma (completed) - wasted my time on this series. Thank God it was only 6 episodes.

I rarely drop series so I tend to just finish them all although Hiiro no Kakera is on borderline drop for men ow Rolling Eyes

I'm also keen on checking out Kids on the Slobeand Tsuritama when both series are finished. God, I love noitamina.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bob from Accounting

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:21 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Bob from Accounting wrote:

What I saw of it (two-and-a-bit episodes, admittedly) did not in any way. They just threw tiles around, glowed a bit and shouted meaningless terminology. And then I got bored.

The Mahjong is rather irrelevant, it could be almost any game.

The point is the interaction between the girls, and their relationships.

I do assume no one is going to scream at me for suggesting that there may be lesbians in this show, right?

Good to know I didn't make a bad decision to drop it. I found those one-dimensional marble automatons boring too.
skyreno4

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:08 am Reply with quote
ooh.. im giving Medaka Box too many chances now, i Just finish watching episode 8, when it ended, i was about to give up on the series, But, Right after the credits something came with surprise yup, that big Shift everyone was talking about lol , Finally!!! can't wait to see episode 9, i just hope there season 2, comon Gainax
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:52 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I agree with most of the list, but... Dusk Maiden of Amnesia is too low... Dusk Maiden of Amnesia might be a niche title, but I think it deserves to be in the top 10 at least.
I totally agree with this.

Shows that I'm excited about watching every week:

Kids on the Slope: Deserves its top spot though occasionally I feel it suffers from too much drama and I would like to see a little more of the "period" in this period piece.
Space Bros: I really enjoy this show and Bamboo is dead on Mutta is a great character. My only complaint is that at the moment it has a feeling of sameness in the episodes and I would like to see something shake it up a bit.
Sankarea: I would say that currently its superior to what I had read in the manga. Its maintaining a good balance between its dark elements and comedy. I hope they keep it up and don't go off the rails. Right now it earns its top 10 spot.
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia: I was worried that both Sankarea and DMA would suffer in their adaptations, but they surprised me and I am enjoying both shows. DMAs balance of its darker elements and comedy is perhaps not as tight as Sankarea, but they are still doing imho a good job. All the mysteries are part of the greater puzzle at the heart of the show. Episode 6 with the school festival was probably the weakest because they were trying to cram 2 episodes worth of material into one. However, I think episode 7 makes up for it in a big way. I think this is another show that should be in the top 10.

Shows that I'm watching but my enthusiasm has dropped:

Fate/Zero: I guess I'm going to be in the minority on this one. I think it all still looks great, but I've gotten a little bored with it. Everything is done relatively well, but for me it sometimes lacks energy. I don't really get that excited about it. That it has dropped to its current spot makes sense to me.
Eureka 7 AO: Its ok. I'm mainly watching out of habit and because of the original show, but I'm not waiting for it every week in anticipation. In a different season it might have stood out more.
Mysterious Girlfriend X: Another show that is ok. I enjoy some of the music. I really like Urabe's VA and some of the dream sequences. I also like the main character of Urabe in both personality and design. However, the spit is a bit off putting and mainly that's because how they chose present it visually. It doesn't bother me intellectually as it does for other people. If they had done it a different way it would been easier to just chill to this show. However, I find myself craving more of the surreal moments of the dreams than the normal mundane stuff of the show. So, there is something missing for me at this time.

Shows that have been the most disappointing or are close to being dropped:

Zetman: I'm familiar with the manga which I think is pretty decent. But as Bamboo has observed they have tried to cram too much into this show, which has made it incredibly uneven. Its one of the bigger disappointments for me this season. They've managed to capture some of the darkness and cruel outlook of the manga, but they totally dropped the ball in creating compelling character relationships so far. It all feels very superficial, what a shame.
Jormugand: Another show that I had high hopes for, it had a Black Lagoon vibe so i was really looking forward to it. Again Bamboo hit it on the head, for all that fire power its kind of boring. I don't find the action scenes particularly that exciting and it seems that every psycho lady in the world has found their way into the show. I'm still sticking with it because of Koko is kinda fun, but I sincerely hope they do better.
Accel World: I really enjoyed the first two episodes and the visual look of the show. However, I'm not enjoying the contrived drama and what feels like just a leveling up game/story. Its on the cusp of getting dropped.
rabrek

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm not a Japanese expert or anything, but I'm pretty sure Hiiro no Kakera directly translates to Awkward Pauses with Quirky Men.

It has been a very, very frustrating week, and this made me laugh out loud. Thank you, Bamboo.

I haven't had time to watch any new series since last summer, but you have me ready to blind buy Kids on the Slope, Tsuritama and Eureka 7/AO. Probably Fate/Zero, too. Hope we get physical releases.
zensunni

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:06 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
I agree with dragon695. From what I have seen, Nyaruko might be entertaining and "fun", but ultimately it is a dumb and forgettable show.

If you're at all into Lovecraftian fiction, it's hard not to recommend the show enough. All dem references make you feel good. Otherwise I agree that it's not really worth the effort.

The same would go for fans of table top RPGs. How many shows in ANY genre feature table top RPG references?

If you happen to have played the Call of Cthulhu table top RPG, it's a double win and a must see! SAN points FTW!!!!
(Full disclosure: I am an old school table top RPG fan, though I haven't played an in-person game in years and never got to play CoC, though many of my gaming group had played it back when I was in college. Your actual mileage may vary.)
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:25 am Reply with quote
rabrek wrote:
I haven't had time to watch any new series since last summer, but you have me ready to blind buy Kids on the Slope, Tsuritama and Eureka 7/AO. Probably Fate/Zero, too. Hope we get physical releases.
About Fate/Zero...
rabrek

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:21 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
rabrek wrote:
About Fate/Zero...

Why, thank you! Not going to blind buy that, but I appreciate the heads-up. (Now I'm off to google up the others instead of Real Work.)
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:03 am Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

I agree with dragon695. From what I have seen, Nyaruko might be entertaining and "fun", but ultimately it is a dumb and forgettable show.

A lot of shows fall under "dumb and forgettable." Not everything needs to be super-deep or amazing or whatever. What's wrong with just fun entertainment?

I wasn't going to reply because I did not offend anyone in the first place. But you are implying that I am wrong for not liking what you like. I am not going to behave like a 12-year old and say something nasty to you. I will just say that your are free to choose what anime to enjoy, and I am also free to choose what I enjoy.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:08 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
superdry wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

A lot of shows fall under "dumb and forgettable." Not everything needs to be super-deep or amazing or whatever. What's wrong with just fun entertainment?

I wasn't going to reply because I did not offend anyone in the first place. But you are implying that I am wrong for not liking what you like. I am not going to behave like a 12-year old and say something nasty to you. I will just say that your are free to choose what anime to enjoy, and I am also free to choose what I enjoy.

What? He's not saying anything of the like. He's just wondering why you think everything has to be some "Masterpiece" to enjoy. Anime is meant to be entertainment after all, and as long as something is fun to watch, like you said, its worth the time you spent.

Also I do find it ironic how you say that people are free to like what they like and you're not going to be nasty, but you started this off with agreeing with a well known troll and telling people their show is dumb and forgettable.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:20 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares, I don't think you really agree with dragon695 - he hates it for not being serious Lovecraft; you seem to be (pre)judging the show on other factors. If you're not sure if you want to watch it, you could always sample the Flash cartoons that preceded this series - they don't have the exact same sort of humor, but the characters really aren't all that different from the actual show(though not all the characters appear in both) and the funny's 90% character based.
superdry

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:02 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
superdry wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

I did not imply that you are wrong for liking what I like. I would be a little more forward if I actually wanted to state that.

I was being general with my statement because as Ryan said anime is entertainment. If it's entertaining to the viewer then great. If not, then great.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Yeah BSD has the most sugar coated piracy ever.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:05 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
superdry wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

What? He's not saying anything of the like. He's just wondering why you think everything has to be some "Masterpiece" to enjoy. Anime is meant to be entertainment after all, and as long as something is fun to watch, like you said, its worth the time you spent.

Also I do find it ironic how you say that people are free to like what they like and you're not going to be nasty, but you started this off with agreeing with a well known troll and telling people their show is dumb and forgettable.

First, I did not know I was agreeing with a troll. That being said, I started watching Nyaruko, but I did not keep on watching because the series was not to my liking. The great thing with so many series available to stream is that we can choose to watch the shows we like best.

One last thing, I did say that Nyaruko is dumb and forgettable to me, but some of you seem offended by this comment. I am not trying to offend any of you. I am just trying to offer my honest opinion about a series.

I want to keep believing that the members in the ANN forums are intelligent people willing to discuss about anime without getting personally offended. If anyone criticizes I series I like, I am not offended by it. But I get offended if someone questions my freedom to only watch what I like.

And please, do not twist my words. I never said that I need anime series to be masterpieces to enjoy them.
zensunni

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Asterisk-CGY wrote:
Yeah BSD has the most sugar coated piracy ever.

Have you ever seen The Pirates of Penzance? (A Gilbert and Sullivan operetta.) I would argue that those pirates are just as sugar coated as Marika and her crew. (To get away from them, all you have to do is claim to be an orphan. Since they are "all orphans" and know what it's like they let you go. Of course, the twist ending is a fun dig at English society, as are most of Gilbert and Sullivan's shows...)

While the pirates do things for show the majority of the time, and the majority of the story they are kind of like paper lions, I think people have forgotten what they did to the ship in the 'Practice Cruise' arc that was firing on the Odette II. They certainly didn't ask questions or try to take them into custody or something. They just blew them out of space, thank you very much! Of course, one of the two pirate ships involved was protecting its future captain, the other was protecting their future captain, and their current captain's daughter.

So, while the story does generally paint a rosie picture of the pirating world, they are capable of some cold hearted action as well...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7