• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Stratos Update

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:05 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac, sorry but I can't really agree on the indulgent bash festival of Infinite Stratos. The show is really not even made to be stood on a level that needs to be critiqued so in depth.

Plus, whatever future storylines hasn't happened yet because the anime has ended at 12 eps so far.

A lot of harem/comedy/fanservice anime are light watches. It's a bit silly to stress so much over it IMO. If it is too vapid or too nonsensical for you, by all means stop watching it. For me, I can watch it just fine though I see where you're coming from. But IS is not really the type of show that demands that level of critique because it's such a light, cute, moe (on some levels) anime.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:56 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Why are you people watching IS in the first place, its a harem show for harem fans?

I just watch what they send me. Reviewing only things I like would hardly be in the spirit of Shelf Life (or the spirit of reviewing...).

Kazemon15 wrote:
Erin, I suggest watching the entire series before putting it on "rental shelf". You can't judge if the series is a "rental" if you have not seen the entire thing. And if you put the last half on "shelf-worthy", it just seems to me that you're only telling people half the series is worth owning, which I'm pretty sure people want the complete collection on their shelves.

Back in the day, Shelf Life was always volume-by-volume reviews, when Bamboo was writing it and volume 3 of Fruits Basket had 4 episodes on it (or whathaveyou). Like in this column from 2006, Bamboo reviewed about 20 episodes from six different volumes of six different shows. Nowadays, season box sets and series box sets are more popular.

I am required to watch three titles per week (about 36 episodes, give or take a movie or a Dragon Box), and I count those titles on a per-release basis. A lot of shows are released in two-part boxes, and the first box isn't always Shelf Worthy. I reviewed Ghost Hound part 1 as Rental, but had to relent that the second half was Shelf Worthy. The same has happened for some other shows, too - I loved the second season of Spice and Wolf but not the first season. Some sets of One Piece I ranked as Rental and others were Shelf Worthy. (One Piece is very long!)

It happens that Bandai released Tales from the Abyss in more oldschool volumes with 7 or 8 episodes per disc. I didn't realize that when I rented parts one and two together. Maybe volume 3 or 4 will be Shelf Worthy...
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Shippoyasha wrote:
Animegomaniac, sorry but I can't really agree on the indulgent bash festival of Infinite Stratos. The show is really not even made to be stood on a level that needs to be critiqued so in depth.

My issue isn't that IS lacks depth, I like plenty of shows that are as shallow as a puddle.

I object to a show being so braindead idiotic that it can't manage to keep its own lore straight for 5 freaking episodes, and then violates it in the cause of a really stupid backstory.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Late to the party, but:

Quote:
There's a running gag in this show wherein the male protagonist is continually asked to spoon feed the various female characters. I know having your crush feed you the bento they made is an anime standard (even in the classic Project A-Ko, which I love), but it started to creep me out in this show. I didn't find it funny or titillating, and I'm not sure which the creators were going for. My mind immediately went to John Waters' Pink Flamingos. Maybe it's supposed to be more wish-fulfillment than titillating (“Man, I wish three girls would sit in front of me at lunchtime with their mouths open like goldfish waiting to be fed!”).

It's just a fetish, Erin, you're reading a LITTLE too much into it.

IS still is a shit show, though
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Infinite Stratos makes their money back already. you guy can hate it all you want. It was a pretty popular show.
superdry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Infinite Stratos makes their money back already. you guy can hate it all you want. It was a pretty popular show.

But, being popular doesn't always mean it's good. Media Factory definitely went to the bank laughing on this one...too bad no more though. While it hurts, it's not that Media Factory is lacking in series that are popular among otaku.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:27 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Shippoyasha wrote:

My issue isn't that IS lacks depth, I like plenty of shows that are as shallow as a puddle.

I object to a show being so braindead idiotic that it can't manage to keep its own lore straight for 5 freaking episodes, and then violates it in the cause of a really stupid backstory.

I agree with all of that. It has a lot of plot problems and all that. Just that the show never demands to be taken too seriously considering its nature. I do agree that there's even many harem anime that has a much more solid backstory though.

Also, anime support isn't a zero sum game as I see it. It's fine for IS to be popular. What's not fine is people not supporting other types of shows on top.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:57 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

I'm not surprised. It was a popular show in Japan too. Did very, very well sales-wise.

But popularity does not equal quality. This simple fact does not go away.

Soon there will be another show like Infinite Stratos and it too will make a handsome sum of money for its creators. It will be the next big thing and Infinite Stratos will be consigned to a footnote.

Popularity is fleeting, quality is enduring. There will always be cheap, low-brow shows which make lots of money and experience large short-term popularity spikes (A.K.A. fads). But in a decade's time will you be watching the low-brow shows that exist right now or the low-brow shows that exist in the future? Food for thought.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:10 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

I'm not surprised. It was a popular show in Japan too. Did very, very well sales-wise.

And the general reaction to everyone, on both sides of the pacific, was "lol wut?"

IS's success is notable in how unusual it was. It didn't just do well, it did extremely well. In any other season it would have been the best selling release by a huge margin, as it is it was only second highest because of the Madoka juggernaut.

...and then the author pitched a fit and RageQuit. So who even knows at this point.
dragon695

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

And the general reaction to everyone, on both sides of the pacific, was "lol wut?"

IS's success is notable in how unusual it was. It didn't just do well, it did extremely well. In any other season it would have been the best selling release by a huge margin, as it is it was only second highest because of the Madoka juggernaut.

...and then the author pitched a fit and RageQuit. So who even knows at this point.

As, thank goodness! That means no more!
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I've got a question. In the anime "Infinite Stratos,"do they have an American character there or not? I'd really love to know.
superdry

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I've got a question. In the anime "Infinite Stratos,"do they have an American character there or not? I'd really love to know.

Nope, there is no American representative in the anime.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:

One is introduced in the novels shortly after the point where the anime ended.
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:52 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

But popularity does not equal quality. This simple fact does not go away.

Twilight is popular. QED.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:18 am Reply with quote
Indeed. Twilight is god-awful, but it's beloved by millions. Anime is no different. Just because lots of teenagers love Naruto and Bleach does not mean those titles are better than say Kurau: Phantom Memory or Spice & Wolf. Far from it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5