• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim Lists Kekkaishi's U.S. TV Premiere in May

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoandSo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

Say can someone fill me in on why people are bothered by the idea of a show airing on Adult Swim or Disney?

Kinda failing to see the negatives here. I mean, yeah Adult Swim seems to be run by wackjobs that enjoy insulting anime fans and Disney's new channel is unproven but, really, why the "no, just no!" reactions? Neutral

The "PLEASE Good Lord and Buddha in Heaven, No" response is more due to the simple fact that Vampire Knight is freaking godawful, is the furthest thing from a smart fit for anything Disney-related in content, and for AS to waste their final slot on it would be a horrible shame. Of course, so would wasting it on Inuyasha: Final Act, but between cyanide and mold, I'll take the mold. Anime hyper
Altorrin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

Say can someone fill me in on why people are bothered by the idea of a show airing on Adult Swim or Disney? As long as anime is getting TV exposure, isn't that a good thing? It's a chance to get new fans, remind old ones that the series is out and it shows that anime is still considered a viable thing by the more mainstream network suits.

Kinda failing to see the negatives here. I mean, yeah Adult Swim seems to be run by wackjobs that enjoy insulting anime fans and Disney's new channel is unproven but, really, why the "no, just no!" reactions? Neutral

Well, one is the fangirls. Nobody likes a fangirl (but VK's fanbase is almost entirely fangirls anyway, it would appear. I haven't met a single person in real life who isn't a fangirl and likes it. -_-; ) Two is the censorship (I haven't watched Vampire Knight, but can't they just do the whole "they're just step-siblings" thing?). Three is the special joy you get from knowing only you watch a show, like it's your secret. Yeah, I don't particularly agree with that last one (more viewers, more merchandise, events, fanfics to read, and you might actually get a second season dub now! Plus, you don't have to hunt down information on your show anymore). But poster digression is not advised. So yeah. And you probably weren't talking particularly about VK but nobody's said nearly enough on that for me to make any sorta guess about it.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Nebs wrote:
Kekkaishi is a pretty kiddish series, even when compared to Bleach or Naruto. Still though, surprising yet awesome news.

And at least it isn't as similar to moribito which although is an excellent series, was a viewer diaster for AS cause it's fans want action based series like bleach. Also I have a feeling this new series is probably going to replace FMA : Brotherhood when it goes on it's season hiatus , and with 52 eps , it should keep people busy until they finally license new eps of bleach.

Baby Naruto wrote:
Primus wrote:

Sentai is not english dubbing Gintama, so I doubt it'll ever air on Adult Swim.

Not quite. It's a shouen series for once and it has over 100 eps. Even I know there's no way in hell that Sentai would not give it an english dub for such a long series , otherwise why bother license it? If it was those short 13 ep series they usually license then i would not see it getting dub but Gintams and EVEN Eyeshield is another story .

It may not be this time soon but if they can change their mind about clannad , it's gonna get one. though i doubt about it going to AS but it might be in the future.

Also people should forget about the idea that Soul eater coming to AS. the DVD's are already out so it may not make any sense. for a TV broadcast , but then again moribito was showing long after those dvds were out so it might be possible.

Last edited by jr240483 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:01 pm Reply with quote
{The "I have a CapsLock key, and I'm not afraid to use it" approach doesn't play well on ANN's forums. Just so you know. - abunai}
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:23 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Baby Naruto wrote:
Primus wrote:

Not quite. It's a shouen series for once and it has over 100 eps. Even I know there's no way in hell that Sentai would not give it an english dub for such a long series , otherwise why bother license it? If it was those short 13 ep series they usually license then i would not see it getting dub but Gintams and EVEN Eyeshield is another story.

Sorry to burst your bubble of hope, but both the first DVD Box Set of Gintama being released by Sentai in April 2010 (Episodes 1-13) and the second DVD Box Set of Gintama being released by Sentai in June 2010 (Episodes 14-26) have already been confirmed to be subtitled only.

Source 1: http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/-rOy9U5kHGSnGt30Xo/browse/item/86525/4/0/0 (Gin Tama DVD Collection 1)

Source 2: http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/-rOy9U5kHGSnGt30Xo/browse/item/87168/4/0/0 (Gin Tama DVD Collection 2)
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Altorrin wrote:
Well, one is the fangirls. Nobody likes a fangirl (but VK's fanbase is almost entirely fangirls anyway, it would appear. I haven't met a single person in real life who isn't a fangirl and likes it. -_-; )

I find fanboys far more annoying. And scary in their own way (watch what you say about their moe titles)
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Baby Naruto wrote:
[

Sorry to burst your bubble of hope, but both the first DVD Box Set of Gintama being released by Sentai in April 2010 (Episodes 1-13) and the second DVD Box Set of Gintama being released by Sentai in June 2010 (Episodes 14-26) have already been confirmed to be subtitled only.

Source 1: http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/-rOy9U5kHGSnGt30Xo/browse/item/86525/4/0/0 (Gin Tama DVD Collection 1)

Source 2: http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/-rOy9U5kHGSnGt30Xo/browse/item/87168/4/0/0 (Gin Tama DVD Collection 2)

Hello. I know that much. this is sentai were talking about here which along with nozumi ent & Media Blasters has been sub only with their releases unless it sells really well to merrit a dub. Which is probably why Sentai is dubbing clannad long after the series has been completed. Probably the same reason MB is dubbing Dokuro chan too. which is why i said that if those box sets really do well it might merrit a reason to give it a dub in the future.

either way i really hope this series do well on AS cause it has to in order to keep the bleach faithful occupied until it's return which would not be for a very long while since most of the main characters have other series commitments (a.k.a series like monster and especially naruto shippuden & Kidō Senshi Gundam Unicorn ) to so as well. that's what they get for doing new eps every single week without a season break.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:46 am Reply with quote
Adult Swim-

STOP PICKING UP SLOW AS HECK KIDS SHOWS!

Sincerely,

Everyone.

(PS- I really hope Kekkaishi airs the same week as Brock Lesnar's fight, just to drill it into your head that much harder that NO ONE WANTS TO WATCH THIS. Just like no one wanted to watch Moribito)
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:30 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Adult Swim-

Sincerely,

Everyone.

(PS- I really hope Kekkaishi airs the same week as Brock Lesnar's fight, just to drill it into your head that much harder that NO ONE WANTS TO WATCH THIS. Just like no one wanted to watch Moribito)

More than likely when no one watches anime, they just add another tally to "reasons we should get rid of anime" not "lets get the shows the fans want." And I watched Moribito.
28076004505531 wrote:
{The "I have a CapsLock key, and I'm not afraid to use it" approach doesn't play well on ANN's forums. Just so you know. - abunai}

But everyone knows caps lock is cruise control for cool Cool
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Baby Naruto wrote:
Primus wrote:

Man, it really is such a shame that Gintama is not being dubbed. The series has nearly endless potential; some consider it better than Bleach!

But as for Kekkaishi, ummm...yay? I think if FMA:B DOES have a dubbing hiatus, which hopefully would only last 13 weeks while they rerun the first 26 episodes at the rate of 2 a night, it SHOULD pick up the slack, but it also seems that by the time we get to Episode 26 of FMA:B in late August, that mysterious 3rd series, probably IY: Final Act, should be announced.

Of course IY: FA currently falls in the same category as Gintama: a series which does not currently have and also may never get, a dub. But I'd say IY: FA's chances are much greater than Gintama's, and the evidence is Kekkaishi's airing!
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:45 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Baby Naruto wrote:

Hello. I know that much. this is sentai were talking about here which along with nozumi ent & Media Blasters has been sub only with their releases unless it sells really well to merrit a dub. Which is probably why Sentai is dubbing clannad long after the series has been completed. Probably the same reason MB is dubbing Dokuro chan too. which is why i said that if those box sets really do well it might merrit a reason to give it a dub in the future.

Oh, I didn't see that bit in your post, sorry.

LagannImpact wrote:
Baby Naruto wrote:
Primus wrote:

Man, it really is such a shame that Gintama is not being dubbed. The series has nearly endless potential; some consider it better than Bleach!

Of course IY: FA currently falls in the same category as Gintama: a series which does not currently have and also may never get, a dub. But I'd say IY: FA's chances are much greater than Gintama's, and the evidence is Kekkaishi's airing!

1.) Yah, I would have loved to see gintama dubbed.

2.) Viz already licensed InuYasha: The Final Act last year in July, so it does have an english dub.

We just don't know for sure if it'll ever air on Adult Swim.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:41 am Reply with quote
ZakuAce wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
Adult Swim-

Sincerely,

Everyone.

More than likely when no one watches anime, they just add another tally to "reasons we should get rid of anime" not "lets get the shows the fans want." And I watched Moribito.

Well that's why their shows keep failing unless they're named Family Guy.

And Moribito was crap, symptomatic of the type of crap that they like to pick up. Slow, boring, idiotic, kiddified TV. Just like this.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Only 1 month and 4 days to go until Kekkaishi premieres on Adult Swim Smile.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:42 pm Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
Baby Naruto wrote:
Primus wrote:

But as for Kekkaishi, ummm...yay? I think if FMA:B DOES have a dubbing hiatus, which hopefully would only last 13 weeks while they rerun the first 26 episodes at the rate of 2 a night, it SHOULD pick up the slack, but it also seems that by the time we get to Episode 26 of FMA:B in late August, that mysterious 3rd series, probably IY: Final Act, should be announced.

I agree, at parts. I too really wish Gintama was dubbed. The manga is absolutely fantastic and has boundless potenial. I was going to buy the DVD, until I read that is subtitle only. Despite liking Bleach and purchasing the manga, Gintama is much better actually.

As for Kekkaishi, not only is this a kids show, its really not that interesting. Basically, a kid fights demons, has a crush on a what's her name and later is involved in a "big battle." I've seen this before and have read several manga's just like that.

I really hope one day Gintama is given a English audio track one day and Inuyasha:Final Act is listed as their last choice. AS really needs a great series such as Gintama and Inuyasha.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:24 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
LagannImpact wrote:
Baby Naruto wrote:
Primus wrote:

I agree, at parts. I too really wish Gintama was dubbed. The manga is absolutely fantastic and has boundless potenial. I was going to buy the DVD, until I read that is subtitle only. Despite liking Bleach and purchasing the manga, Gintama is much better actually.

As for Kekkaishi, not only is this a kids show, its really not that interesting. Basically, a kid fights demons, has a crush on a what's her name and later is involved in a "big battle." I've seen this before and have read several manga's just like that.

I really hope one day Gintama is given a English audio track one day and Inuyasha: TheFinal Act is listed as their last choice. AS really needs a great series such as Gintama and Inuyasha.

I too hope that Sentai will go back and give Gintama an English Dub.

As for InuYasha: The Final Act, it will be airing DUBBED on Adult Swim this September (2010).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6