• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Aggregator to Close as OpenManga Plans Launch

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I think the crackdown is being done for one reason: creating a paid legitimate online manga reading site and also creating apps for the Apple iPad and tablet computers that use the Google Android OS.

And I can guess (in my humble opinion!) who might be behind this: the Hitotsubashi Group, the publishing conglomerate who owns Hakusensha, Shogakukan and Shueisha in Japan. With the enormous success of the iPad and everyone awaiting Android-based tablets, in order to have legitimate downloads of the manga chapters to your desktop/laptop computer or tablet computer they have to stamp out all the fan-based scanlators and the scanlation aggregation sites. Given Apple's very strict certification process for apps that run under iOS (formerly iPhone OS), the Hitotsubashi Group needs to make sure their online website and portable reader manga applications deal only with legitimate material. Watch for VIZ Media to make an announcement on such a web site and tablet computer reader application, possibly as early as Anime Expo coming in a few weeks.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:48 pm Reply with quote
pretty cool I hope that they will be operating like CR with the whole membership thing like as soon as the chapter comes out it will be for members only and it will be free for everyone else a week later with ad support sort of deal that would be nice. All I can say is I hope Reborn will be approved there one day as well as some of my other favorites I will try and wait patiently OpenManga Very Happy
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:07 am Reply with quote
Finny-chan wrote:
pretty cool I hope that they will be operating like CR with the whole membership thing like as soon as the chapter comes out it will be for members only and it will be free for everyone else a week later with ad support sort of deal that would be nice. All I can say is I hope Reborn will be approved there one day as well as some of my other favorites I will try and wait patiently OpenManga Very Happy

From what little they have at their site, it seems they will have a range of ways to generate revenue for the artists, but its not yet clear whether it will be the artist the picks the means or the supporting fan. Time will tell ... OpenManga promises to have its beta up Real Soon Now (TM).
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:00 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Finny-chan wrote:

From what little they have at their site, it seems they will have a range of ways to generate revenue for the artists, but its not yet clear whether it will be the artist the picks the means or the supporting fan. Time will tell ... OpenManga promises to have its beta up Real Soon Now (TM).

yeah I guess just as long as the chapters eventually become free for everyone cause I don't have enough money to support both CR and the new upcoming OpenManga sadly Sad I'm more of an anime watcher than a manga reader anyways
BMO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:29 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Even if a number of the big blockbusters get legit online alternatives, which is already happening

Source?
monkeyshinobi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:21 am Reply with quote
I'm all for the situation. I just hope that a legit online manga site will come soon in English! I mainly read online because they are the latest and they host some titles not licensed in the US (they might never be licensed). if they can find a way to create sites like onemanga or mangafox but make it legal, i shall pay whatever fee. It will be good if they use the Crunchyroll path, that way everyone can read the chapters at one point.
Ariolander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:44 am Reply with quote
Wow I didn't even know MangaHelpers was a pirate site. When I was in the scanlation scene working mostly on doujinshi MH was the go-to place for receiving training, recruiting like minded staff, and giving/recieving help scanlating.

Their forums were a valuable resource and I for one will be sad to see them go. Hopefully some semblance of the community will remain because I never really went there to read scanlations so much as learn.

MH has always been respondant to the industry so nice to see they are opening up a new more legitimate channel and rather than dealing with gigantic publishing companies I think that going directly to the author might be an effective tactic and giving smaller artists access to the larger western world.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:36 am Reply with quote
BMO wrote:
agila61 wrote:
Even if a number of the big blockbusters get legit online alternatives, which is already happening

Source?

Well, what can be bigger then a new Rumiko Takahashi comic?
http://shonensunday.com/series/rinne/index.shtml
http://www.shonensunday.com/
http://www.sigikki.com/

And also legit/online-
http://www.emanga.com/
http://www.netcomics.com/
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:22 am Reply with quote
BMO wrote:
agila61 wrote:

Source?

What Paploo said - the source is the fact that the sites are up and running.

Localization of a big title that is online in Japan removes the big hurdle, which is the fear of back-importation. People are not going to go to the trouble of back-importing unlettered artwork and putting together Japanese overlay files when the Japanese online edition is already up.
loka

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:40 am Reply with quote
Scirel wrote:

The whole reason why scanlations EXIST is because the legit releases are SLOW.

No. Scanlations 'EXIST' because the overwhelming majority of scanlated titles have not been licensed yet.

New scanlations of shounen are popular because other countries' releases are behind. These will likely exist regardless, even if the US was only 1 week behind or less.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:09 am Reply with quote
loka wrote:
Scirel wrote:

No. Scanlations 'EXIST' because the overwhelming majority of scanlated titles have not been licensed yet.

New scanlations of shounen are popular because other countries' releases are behind. These will likely exist regardless, even if the US was only 1 week behind or less.

Then why are people still scanlating every single Shonen Jump title in VIZ's library? What valid reason do they have to exist? Being behind isn't really a valid reason.

If people still scanlated when the US was one week behind, they'd be pretty awful people. Now I have the lyrics of Black Eyed Peas Now Generation in my head

Scanlations exist because people are greedy and impatient, don't care about supporting artists, want to make money off of naive fans like you, are illinformed about intellectual property laws, want to have their egos fed by sometghing they actually have no creative role in, and have severe cases of fan delusion.

I'm sure there's a small handful of scanlators who honestly believe what they're working on will never be licensed, and do take it down when it's licensed [ as in remove it entirely from their site once any word pops up it's on the way, not "wait until we're told to stop" or "continue scanlating because the US release is behind"], but they're clearly in the minority.
kurosabato

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:18 am Reply with quote
loka wrote:
Scirel wrote:

That could be right, but lets see is the aggregators sites exists for the same reason.

Most popular manga in the 2 biggest sites.

Naruto (1) (VIZ)
Bleach (2) (VIZ)
One Piece (3) (VIZ)
Fairy Tail (4) (DELREY)

Hajime no Ippo (5)
Full Metal Alchemist (6) (VIZ)
Historys Strongest Disciple Kenichi (7)
Katekyo Hitman Reborn! (8) (VIZ)
Hunter X Hunter (9) (VIZ)

No Bra (10)
Mahou Sensei Negima! (11) (DELREY)
Air Gear (12) (DELREY)
Vampire Knight (13) (VIZ)

Kimi no Iru Machi (14)
Soul Eater (15) (Yen Press)
Claymore (16) (VIZ)
Kaichou wa Maid-sama! (17) (Tokyopop)
D.Gray-Man (18) (VIZ)
Skip Beat (19) (VIZ)
Detective Conan (20) (VIZ)

Naruto (VIZ)
Idol Shopping
Kyou, Koi wo Hajimemasu
Bleach (VIZ)
One Piece (VIZ)
Skip Beat! (VIZ)
Black Bird (VIZ)

Love in the Mask
Kenji
Forbidden Kiss
Fairy Tail (DELREY)
Dengeki Daisy (VIZ)
Kimi ni Todoke (VIZ)

Kimi no Iru Machi
Gakuen Alice (Tokyopop)

25 of the 35 are licensed titles, They are are scanlators, and continue to release them. They are helping selling the official releases of this titles??? .... I doubt.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:24 am Reply with quote
Heck, Air Gear appears to be one of Del Rey's poorer sellers since they're moving it to Omnibus format. Yet, it's everywhere online.

Tangent- Kenji was licensed by Raijin at one time, wasn't it?

I know Tokyopop has rushed up the release of Gakuen Alice as an experiment to see if they could compete with the scan sites- not as a reaction to it's popularity, but to see if they could stave off people switching to scans. It seems to have only become popular at scans sites after they started releasing it [I think the same could be said of Vampire Knight too, which was serialized in Shojo Beat shortly after it started in Japan].
loka

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:32 am Reply with quote
Yes, scanlations absolutely will have a beneficial effect on the sale on Dengeki Daisy.

How many of those licensed are crappy (and for some reason, popular) shounen? What did I say about shounen?

Why don't you try going to one of those sites and search by rating and see how many are licensed?
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:43 am Reply with quote
loka wrote:
Yes, scanlations absolutely will have a beneficial effect on the sale on Dengeki Daisy.

How many of those licensed are crappy (and for some reason, popular) shounen? What did I say about shounen?

Why don't you try going to one of those sites and search by rating and see how many are licensed?

I don't really understand that logic. It sounds like you're basing it off your personal preference for shojo, and making it sound like shonen manga fans are somehow not as big of fans as shojo ones in terms of buying stuff, which really has NOTHING to do with whether or not it's wrong to scanlate something, and is pretty much based 100% on your own opinions, not facts.

Also, what is up with one site having Children of the Sea on it? That's on Sigikki.com legally! What reason would ANYONE have to scanlate that?!?!

ps-- WHY ARE YOU EVEN READING SCANS?

You live in Pittsburgh!
http://www.clpgh.org/ You have a CARNEGIE LIBRARY!
http://catalog.einetwork.net/search/Y?manga&searchscope=1
895 different items popped up when I searched for manga.
Why not use your awesome library for your manga reading fun if you want free manga?
http://catalog.einetwork.net/search~S1/?searchtype=Y&searcharg=graphic+novels&searchscope=1&sortdropdown=-&SORT=D&extended=0&SUBMIT=Search&searchlimits=&searchorigarg=Ydark+horse 6044 search results for graphic novels!

Why not support your awesome local library for your free reading leasure then some scummy scumlator site?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8