• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - OverCooked

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:30 am Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:

OTOH, I really liked Mr. Cook's comparison of Funimation to a reperatory theatre group. It makes sense considering their location.

Now that he made that comparison, I can actually see some similarities to my part-time job. I help manage ticket sales for my university's theater productions and part of the time we go with a repertory group and the other part we go with students.

And to keep the Funi metaphor, I take it the theater's production of Hamlet has taken the bold, creative, mass-market step to rewrite Shakespeare's "outdated dialogue the audience was too familiar with and wouldn't get the obscure references" into "Yeah, and they killed my dad, which would, like, totally suck, 'cause it's like that Disney movie, only my uncle isn't a gay lion..."?

What? I'm not sure if that has anything to do with what I was saying. Confused

Plus, Funimation has only drastically re-written three shows. It's hardly the norm. They usually stick to just a few changes to match flaps and make more sense. I can't really blame them for re-writing Shin-chan since adult swim wanted it and it fell into the "too adult for kids, and too kiddy for adults." And while others might disagree, I can't fault them for making changes to Sgt. Frog. What I watched in Japanese wasn't funny because it relied a lot puns etc. and they let people give them feedback prior to production.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
What I watched in Japanese wasn't funny because it relied a lot puns etc. and they let people give them feedback prior to production.

Then why bother. If the original product was not funny by your assessment. Why pick it up? Since extensive re-writes will inevitably draw criticisms from those that, heaven forbid, liked the original product. The resistance from the established fanbase will only serve to detract from the dub's appeal.

You and others may like reversions(this is the internet I have heard of stranger fetishes). If reversions really worked in 2010 then Funimation would not be the only company still doing it there would be more Samurai Pizza Cats, Ghost Stories, and Milk-chans.
PBsallad

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:38 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
On another note, I think the Funi VAs are a talented bunch and I'm glad to hear that they are slowly inducting new talent in. Maxey Whitehead is an example of a great new talent. I'm looking forward to hearing her in new roles (maybe a female one someday?) and I've also been very impressed with Aaron Dismuke. I can't wait to hear him in a leading role again! Very Happy

Aaron is the male lead in Corpse Princess (Shikibane Hime).
http://www4.funimation.com/video/?page=show&b=152
I haven't seen the dub for it though, but plan to.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:48 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:
What I watched in Japanese wasn't funny because it relied a lot puns etc. and they let people give them feedback prior to production.

Then why bother. If the original product was not funny by your assessment. Why pick it up? Since extensive re-writes will inevitably draw criticisms from those that, heaven forbid, liked the original product. The resistance from the established fanbase will only serve to detract from the dub's appeal.

You and others may like reversions(this is the internet I have heard of stranger fetishes). If reversions really worked in 2010 then Funimation would not be the only company still doing it there would be more Samurai Pizza Cats, Ghost Stories, and Milk-chans.

Because they like the dub?

You do know that Samurai Pizza Cats was a lot more succesful in America than Japan right? Why is Funimation the only company that still does it?

Because their the only company still dubbing anime in large numbers.
Demon of Rashomon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:42 am Reply with quote
I, like many others, am out to enjoy a show for what it is, not look for what it isn't as reasons not to enjoy it. I default to English dubs because I love them. If a reversion makes me laugh or gives me pleasure then that's all that's important to me, not how closely it resembles the Japanese. For this reason I will continue to purchase and enjoy Funimation releases and hope they continue many more.

Quote:
If reversions really worked in 2010 then Funimation would not be the only company still doing it...

Have you considered that the reason Funimation can afford to keep doing dubs when others can't is because theirs are ones that have reached the wider audiences and gained the returns that others haven't, and that this may be in small part down to that reversioning? Ok that and DBZ.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:40 am Reply with quote
Demon of Rashomon wrote:
I, like many others, am out to enjoy a show for what it is, not look for what it isn't as reasons not to enjoy it. I default to English dubs because I love them. If a reversion makes me laugh or gives me pleasure then that's all that's important to me, not how closely it resembles the Japanese. For this reason I will continue to purchase and enjoy Funimation releases and hope they continue many more.

Quote:
If reversions really worked in 2010 then Funimation would not be the only company still doing it...

Have you considered that the reason Funimation can afford to keep doing dubs when others can't is because theirs are ones that have reached the wider audiences and gained the returns that others haven't, and that this may be in small part down to that reversioning? Ok that and DBZ.

Thank you! That's exactly the point I wanted to make!
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

It is obvious that Funi is the only company willing to chasing rainbows by trying to do heavy handed reversioning. The supposed wider audience sure has been a catalyst in getting the 3rd seasons of Shin-chan and Frog released at blinding speed.

Regardless of the volume Funi is capable of doing. The current reversioning of long running shows don't retain much fan enthusiasm(but yay for thumbsup on 'Tube). But who really cares about the bad sales of reversioned shows as long as we get multiple generations of DBZ releases.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:03 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:

It is obvious that Funi is the only company willing to chasing rainbows by trying to do heavy handed reversioning. The supposed wider audience sure has been a catalyst in getting the 3rd seasons of Shin-chan and Frog released at blinding speed.

because the Japanese have nothing to do with licensing rights in america right? Oh wait i forgot that that has everything to do with release delays.

I'd also like to reiterate that your complaining about 3 shows, all of which are comedies whose jokes don't make any sense in English. Humor is by far less funny when you have to read a whole book of translation notes in order to get the jokes
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:31 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:

Regardless of the volume Funi is capable of doing. The current reversioning of long running shows don't retain much fan enthusiasm(but yay for thumbsup on 'Tube). But who really cares about the bad sales of reversioned shows as long as we get multiple generations of DBZ releases.

Your not backing up statements at all, your just making claims while not actually answering from anyone else. You can claim that a Kerero Gunsou dub true to the original series would have been a huge sucess but frankly shows like that have never been huge sucesses. The fact that the show was aimed solely at Japanesee would turn everyone else off. If you explain the joke than the joke is no longer funny so putting "Japanese consider Osakans to be funny" really wouldn't be all that funny.

Do you honestly think anyone would remember Sgt. Frog, Ghost Stories, and Milk-Chan if not for the heavy changes in the shows? That people would be parading in the streets about their loive of Kerero Gunsou, Funimation has stated that Sgt. Frog has sold well, it's been implied that more Sgt. Frog was being dubbed (something I wrote off as soon as I heard it was liscensed by ADV), and yet you maker claims that the dub harmed it even though it was well received by basically everyone except purist.

Once again their is a reason why Samurai Pizza Cats is more popular in America than Japan and it's due to the dub.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Your not backing up statements at all, your just making claims while not actually answering from anyone else. You can claim that a Kerero Gunsou dub true to the original series would have been a huge sucess but frankly shows like that have never been huge sucesses. The fact that the show was aimed solely at Japanesee would turn everyone else off. If you explain the joke than the joke is no longer funny so putting "Japanese consider Osakans to be funny" really wouldn't be all that funny.

The lacking of the 3rd seasons of Shin chan and Frog is obvious to the people not feigning ignorance. What I covered about youtube was mentioned by Cook in the interview and is part of the Sgt Frog diabolical.

I haven't claimed anything of the sort. I am not responsible for your imagination. You want to talk about me not providing evident when what you claim as an absolute and fact is untrue. That only needs one person to say they preferred the original to the revised version, that has already been said in this thread. I may be dealing with that statement at face value but there is no other way for me to address such a baseless exaggeration.

Once again if reversioning worked there would be more companies doing so and the reversioned shows I referred to would not be on either a 10 month lapse between releases or possibly not renewed.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:36 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:

The lacking of the 3rd seasons of Shin chan and Frog is obvious to the people not feigning ignorance. What I covered about youtube was mentioned by Cook in the interview and is part of the Sgt Frog diabolical.

I haven't claimed anything of the sort. I am not responsible for your imagination. You want to talk about me not providing evident when what you claim as an absolute and fact is untrue. That only needs one person to say they preferred the original to the revised version, that has already been said in this thread. I may be dealing with that statement at face value but there is no other way for me to address such a baseless exaggeration.

Once again if reversioning worked there would be more companies doing so and the reversioned shows I referred to would not be on either a 10 month lapse between releases or possibly not renewed.

The main claim for why the revision has failed is because it hasn't gotten the third season yet, so your claim is that if Kerero Gunsou had been released as an accurate dub it would have gotten that third season already, meaning that Keroro Gunsou would have been a huge sucess.

I was into fansubs when Sgt. Frog first aired, after the first I think 5 episodes the fansubs stopped, and wasn't picked up for at least a year. If Kerero Gunsou was so going to be so popular why did it take so long to get the first 50 episodes fansubbed?

Funimation is really the only company whose still making a large number of releases. That's why you don't see revision fromy any other company anymore, the few that exist are not taking any chances like they did 3-5 years ago.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:54 pm Reply with quote
What I said was reversioning does not work out in the end. That does not predict or claim any magnitude of success a more accurate dub of this show would have garnered.

What you are arguing down is a strawman you made up. You can go look in a mirror and debate the point you made up all you like, I am done commenting on it.

You say the show was not popular with fansubs which infers that the show would not be liked here. This is back to the question I asked earlier. If a show is not funny or popular to begin with why bother picking it up for heavy reversioning. It is already an uphill battle due to the source material (A. not being funny and (B. coveted by purists and/or some of the preexisting fans. Their ensuing shit storm does more harm than good for sales.

Quote:
That's why you don't see revision fromy any other company anymore, the few that exist are not taking any chances like they did 3-5 years ago.

Because chasing after a wider audience with a show whose popularity is so dubious that a heavy reversioning is warranted, is not a smart business decision. Doing so just leaves fans of the show(any audio track) with incomplete sets on their shelves time and time again. It is a bad decision no matter how many titles a company gets their hands on.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:30 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
What I said was reversioning does not work out in the end. That does not predict or claim any magnitude of success a more accurate dub of this show would have garnered.

What you are arguing down is a strawman you made up. You can go look in a mirror and debate the point you made up all you like, I am done commenting on it.

You say the show was not popular with fansubs which infers that the show would not be liked here. This is back to the question I asked earlier. If a show is not funny or popular to begin with why bother picking it up for heavy reversioning. It is already an uphill battle due to the source material (A. not being funny and (B. coveted by purists and/or some of the preexisting fans. Their ensuing shit storm does more harm than good for sales.

Quote:
That's why you don't see revision fromy any other company anymore, the few that exist are not taking any chances like they did 3-5 years ago.

Because chasing after a wider audience with a show whose popularity is so dubious that a heavy reversioning is warranted, is not a smart business decision. Doing so just leaves fans of the show(any audio track) with incomplete sets on their shelves time and time again. It is a bad decision no matter how many titles a company gets their hands on.

What are you arguing against? You claim that dubs that stray from the source material don't do well, bringing up Sgt. Frog not immediatly getting a third season, but then you admit that even if you do leave it in the original japanese the dubs that where heavily changed really wouldn't sell any better.

So what your saying is that their wouldn't be any change despite the fact that Ghost Stories, and Sgt. Frog's dub have been heavily praised.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I can't help but notice that instead of commenting on what I put you make up points or leap to conclusions that were never stated and argue those instead. There was no admittance on my part of calling the source bad, I used the word IF and referenced others like you that claim the source is not funny in my examples.

Try dealing with my statements:
Reversions like Shinchan and Frog do not work out in the end for long running shows. The proof is there are season sets on indefinite hold for 10+months. Each show's dub was praised but none of that praise is getting those series any closes to more releases here.

A company(NOT ME) that picks up a show they(NOT ME) think is not good enough and needs heavy reversioning is just going to create detractors of their efforts causing more harm than good.

Repeat:That does not predict or claim any magnitude of success a more accurate dub of this show would have garnered.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:43 am Reply with quote
Ok, how about this

If heavily redubbing doesn't work, how come Voltron is more popular than Golion? Why do more Americans like Samurai Pizza Cat than Japanese like Cat Ninja Legend Teyandee? Robotech while not more popular than Macross certainly didn't fail.

I mean you sound like your trying to advance a cause that you have no backing on. The only thing you have as support, is something that you admit wouldn't have changed if they had actually dubbed it straight.

Also the reputation of Funimation is not going to be harmed by two series out of say 20 they released in the year. You act like every series they have has a ton of added humor.

I mean Funimation has flat out stated that their happy with the sales of Sgt. Frog.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6