• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Time of EVE: Original Version (Blu-ray) + Movie (Kickstarter funded)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, they are at $122,129 now with 10 days to go. 2 of the new 11 $500 pledges are still available.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:32 am Reply with quote
Project Update #10: Pale Cocoon/Mizu no Kotoba (Aquatic Language) News Flash!
For backers only, Posted by Pied Piper / DIRECTIONS / Studio Rikka
To the most amazing and patient Kickstarter backers EVER!!!

Pale Cocoon and Mizu no Kotoba (Aquatic Language) are probably the biggest requests that we've gotten during this Kickstarter campaign.

We have good news!

But there is a caveat...read on...

!!!Good news!!!

All backers at the $55 tier and higher will get a digital download of Pale Cocoon and Mizu no Kotoba (Aquatic Language)!!!

The caveat: Due to licensing issues (which we've been working on since you skyrocketed through our $18,000 goal on day 1, and have literally just resolved about 30 minutes ago, thanks to the forces of generosity and kindness in the world!!!), the earliest we can make the download available to our backers is January 1, 2014. So, the downloads will be our Happy New Year 2014 greeting!!!

Anticipating some FAQs : )

- What exactly is Mizu no kotoba (Aquatic Language)? Yoshiura created this 9 minute animation in 2002, while he was still in university. You'll see a lot of the themes that he later developed in Time of EVE, especially his interest in conversations and human dynamics, cafe settings, and Asimov's three laws of robotics.

- And Pale Cocoon? This is a 21-minute OVA created by Yoshiura in 2006, right after he finished university. The story is set in a near-future where the past has been forgotten, perhaps as a survival mechanism, perhaps out of indifference. The protagonist explores archives of the past, but to what end...? It is a haunting story, to say the least.

- Will the downloads be made available to non-Kickstarter backers after January 1, 2014? We haven't decided yet. If so, they will be available for purchase (price is TBD), at a later date. Only Kickstarter backers get the downloads bundled with the Blu-ray, at no additional charge. And, you get the download first!!!

- Why only download? What about Blu-ray or DVD? Both works were created in the days before Blu-ray, and are at SD specs. So it doesn't make sense to put them on Blu-ray, and anyway, we would have to delay the entire Blu-ray release until Jan. 1, 2014, and nobody wants that to happen! We thought about DVD, but we want to make this available to fans around the world, and with DVD we have to deal with NTSC/PAL/SECAM formats. We want to steer clear of that nightmare!

- Will there be DRM on the downloads? Yes, these will be DRM files. We know a lot of people have strong opinions about this, and we've talked a lot about it internally. In the end, we feel like DRM gives the download value.

- How are we going to deliver the download? We will use a download streaming service (still looking at a few different options), and will send a download link/redeem code to all of the $55 + backers on January 1, 2014.

- Will these be dubbed? At this point, we're not planning to dub these. (As some of you may know, we did an English dubbed version of Mizu no Kotoba/Aquatic Language, which people have generously called "interesting..." or perhaps more accurately "a disaster." Live and learn!)

- Which subtitle languages will be offered? We are planning to include all of the subtitle languages from the movie.

Other questions? Send us a message or post a comment here, and we'll do our best to give you a quick answer!

Thank you again for your incredible generosity, which continues to leave us awestruck!!! You have ALL of our love!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:37 am Reply with quote
Just found what my bonus from work and tax back are going on... Just upped my pledge to grab the Chie sketches!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:50 am Reply with quote
NO DRM. Evil or Very Mad
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:06 am Reply with quote
Just upped my pledge. I really want that fanbook.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Ah, they hit $126,015 so I guess the Official Fan Book is now going to happen! Smile

Its a shame about the DRM downloads. I don't quite get why they couldn't stick them on BD even if it is in SD format. Being locked down to one particular service is annoying. Well at least we have the chance to get them and they are subbing them in several languages so that's good.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:43 pm Reply with quote
A new $80 tier just went up for the fan book. Just upped my pledged
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Upped my pledge to $80 as well.

My god, what an expensive summer.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:20 am Reply with quote
Upped my pledge to the $100 tier. I will take the Nagi illustration.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:29 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Upped my pledge to $80 as well.

My god, what an expensive summer.

Thirded.

And seconded.

I'm not usually interested in the books attached to anime projects, but this one seems rich enough in interesting content to be worthwhile. Besides, part of me wants to see this at least approach $180,000. Having it get ten times the original goal would be neat. This is also a very particular, but very cool niche that's worth encouraging.

Even if not; it's all just fringe benefits. Time of Eve has a great reputation from people whose opinions I give weight. I've been meaning to watch it for upwards of two years now and this is the awesomest (although costliest) way finally push me into it. (I always do it the hard way; I'm bad-ass like that. In fact, I am the worst ass)
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Project Update #11: Apology + News + Poll !!!!
For backers only, Posted by Pied Piper / DIRECTIONS / Studio Rikka
Dear Backers,

We hear you loud and clear that our download DMR proposal is completely off the mark, and that in fact we (unwittingly) slighted you all by saying that DRM would actually add value for you.

Thank you all for educating us:

@Simon R @Ben Hockley @Jimmy A. Guerrero @Ivo Anjo @Rare_pvk @Dual @Ted Stevens @Evgeny Shcherbakov @ James Gwinnell @FlamingFirewire @Electric Sheep @Alan Monk @Karl Goodman @James Gwinnell @Blair Mueller @Tim Maloney @Alex @Michael Possingham @Bradley Somes @Kwang Ketcham @Zcoold @Colin @Jose Castellon @ComSR @Adrienne @Draikin @Jason moofang @James M @Haiko @Kimiko @SamB @Marco van Loon @Douglas A. Rist @SpacemanHardy @Marc-Trajan Caton @JV @Etienne Rastoul @Prkurs @Chris Fox @Heinrich Wiesinger @Muhammad Al-Sanae @Kevin Lembcke @Wesley Miaw @Darren Duncan @Derek Guder @chrisg @Joel Pan @Marek Lilleleht @Ruqiyah @Chase Emory

(apologies for any omissions or typos!)

We are wiser, and humbled.

Update: Physical Release for Pale Cocoon + Mizu no Kotoba/Aquatic Language

Yes, we can do a physical release on disk! It took us a few days to make sure we had the rights in order, but the answers all came back positive!!! (And yes, @FlamingFirewire, we will include the "interesting" Mizu no kotoba dub, even though it really is a total embarrassment!)

Our plan is to include the shorts as a physical release for all Kickstarter backers at the $55 tier and above.

But first, we need to run this plan by you all. Thank you for suggesting we do a poll: @Jimmy A. Guerrero @Geoffrey Kelly @richard hadley !!!

Questions:

(1) Are you OK with pushing the Blu-ray release to January 2014?

We can only release Pale Cocoon/Mizu no kotoba after Jan 1, 2014, because of licensing issues. So, if we release the shorts on disk, then we will need to push the Blu-ray release to January 2014. (And yes, as many of you suggested, this would also give us more time to work on the English dub and extra subtitle tracks -- which would probably prevent several nervous breakdowns and result in a much better release overall.)

Thank you everyone who suggested we delay the release:

@Tim Norman @Industrial Scribe @Jimmy A. Guerrero @Matt Kauffman @Blair Mueller @Ivo Anjo @Rare_pvk @Artemly @Dual @Matt Kauffman @Ruqiyah @Maura Werner @Ted Stevens @Harri @ Simon R @Bin H. @ James Gwinnell @Alan Monk @Joe @FlamingFirewire @Josha Scott @Geoffrey Kelly @Bradley Somes @Colin @Claire Seney @Shannon Granville @Alex Clarke @Evgeny Shcherbakov @Changquing @Thomas Edge @hssatsu @ReptilianSamurai @Haiko @Sam B @Morgan Bourven @richard hadley Sch@dows @Kojote @Prkurs @Muhammad Al-Sanae

We just want to make sure that the majority of our backers are OK with a delay!

(2) Are you OK with Pale Cocoon/Mizu no kotoba on DVD (NTSC, region free)?

The master data for both shorts exists only in SD. As a result, Yoshiura feels strongly about releasing these shorts on a separate DVD, and not as special features on the Blu-ray. We've seen lots of your comments that NTSC disks are no problem in PAL/SECAM territories, but we just want to make sure you are all OK with this.

(3) Or, would it in fact be better to include the shorts on the Blu-ray as special features?

We've also seen your comments about SD special features being fine for Blu-ray. But, we know there are some Blu-ray releases out there where the SD video footage doesn't play back correctly, depending on the Blu-ray player. It seems like a safer bet to put them on a separate DVD disk, but what do you think? Would it be better to include them on the Blu-ray? Or, is DVD fine?

We await your responses!

Thank you everyone for your patience, good will, generosity, and camaraderie!!!! We love you all!!!!

Care to comment? View this update on Kickstarter →
Want to get these notifications straight to your phone?
Download the Kickstarter app

Unsubscribe from this project's updates with one click KICKSTARTER
GDFan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I seem to be in the minority here, but I'm not happy about a probable delay. Both these shorts are on Crunchyroll for free, and I'm sure you could own them through other means. 3 months for 30 minutes is not worth it to me.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:14 pm Reply with quote
GDFan wrote:
I seem to be in the minority here, but I'm not happy about a probable delay. Both these shorts are on Crunchyroll for free, and I'm sure you could own them through other means. 3 months for 30 minutes is not worth it to me.

I'm in two minds - I'm glad they are releasing both on disc but I do not want to wait for everything else that will be ready beforehand.
If only they were put onto a second disc and shipped out separately once they are ready for release.
GDFan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Well that is a good idea, but it's probably not going to happen. They seem to be using this as an excuse for a delay:

Quote:
And yes, as many of you suggested, this would also give us more time to work on the English dub and extra subtitle tracks -- which would probably prevent several nervous breakdowns and result in a much better release overall.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I haven't contributed to the ToE Kickstarter thing and I'm not sure I will. But if I did, the delay would not bother me. If it means a better dub and having the two shorts as extras on the BD instead of a separate DVD, that would be worth it. I think it's hysterical they are going to include the horrible dub, as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8