• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gundam Survey

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stowrag

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:54 am Reply with quote
Voted for Wing, assuming it accepted my vote... I'm one of those people who can't get the results page to load: everything says zero percent.

Anyway, I didn't vote for it because nostalgia or sentimentality though: I was barely old enough to understand it when it showed on Toonami. I went back and watched it again in the last couple years though (as well as most of the series on that list; haven't seen SD Gundams, AGE or Turn A) and I honestly love Wing for blending pretty much elements of everything that came before it and in making it better.

After Wing I would have put 0080, Zeta, 08 MS Team or the Original MSG in that order.

Also, if we're talking about excluded series, how come nobody's thought to bring up Crossbone yet? It's by far the best late UC story I've seen (post Char's Counterattack; that includes Unicorn)
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:24 am Reply with quote
Because it's not anime.

Then again, Double Zeta is on the list...
kamidai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:47 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Because it's not anime.

Then again, Double Zeta is on the list...

Ahahaha!!!

I voted for Turn A. I've seen plenty of Gundams in my time and Turn A is still my favorite. The plot, the characters, the music, and the way it just stuck with me after viewing more than any of the others make it my pick. I'd honestly put it at one of my top favorite anime ever.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:48 am Reply with quote
I voted for Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Favorite is 0083. Horribly plot, awful and inconsistent characters? Whatever, dem OPs, dat mecha animation. I don't think I've had more fun watching a Gundam before or after.

Gundam 0083 is my second favorite Gundam series. The story/plot can be inconsistent, but to me 0083 is the Gundam series with the best animation. And The Winner is an amazing song.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:12 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Gundam 0083 is my second favorite Gundam series. The story/plot can be inconsistent, but to me 0083 is the Gundam series with the best animation. And The Winner is an amazing song.

And GP02A is an awesome mech. Yeah, bulky, but it's so cool! My only gripe was that the MG Gunpla had a hard time hanging onto that heavy shield. Anime hyper
yamiangie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Voted for the original because that's the one i can see myself rewatching.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:15 pm Reply with quote
No brainer here, Zeta for sure. It's not only one of the best series in Gundam history it's the most influential to boot.

Though for AU I would have picked G Gundam, I think the AU shows get too caught up in trying to emulate the original and Zeta. G Gundam had the balls to do something completely different.

For OVA's I really like 08th MS Team, UC probably would have beaten it, but it has some serious pacing issues that I feel 08th MS team doesn't have. Sometimes if feels like if we were given more time with the characters from UC it would have more impact. Other than that UC is the best thing Gundam in years.
WeskerGriff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:38 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Gundam 0080 had good - though not great - emotional impact, but there were some disappointing writing lapses that let the production down. I felt that the second half was much better than the first.

I disagree about the emotional impact. Rarely does a Gundam series pull at the heart strings but this series manage to do this perfectly. I remember watching the whole series in a public area (I think it was at Otakon or some other anime con that I went to in the early 2000s) and almost everyone in the room at the end was crying their eyes out, it remains to this day one of the most unique anime experiences I’ve ever had. Meanwhile I can't think of another moment like that in a Gundam series, where one person means so much to the audience.
WeskerGriff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:47 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
WeskerGriff wrote:
TMy vote went for Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket. That series is just extremely memorable. It’s the shortest series listed, but arguably the most emotionally powerful. It doesn’t have any flashy Newtypes or antsy teenage pilots; it just has characters in it who think they are doing the right thing. Also out of all the Gundam series, I think it conveys its message the best. Plus the music is pretty awesome.

This. I would have voted for 0083, but I thought 0080 would have less votes. And besides...

spoiler["Don't cry, Al. Soon there'll be an even bigger war with even cooler mobile suits!"]

spoiler[ "Bernie will be sorry he missed you." - Al to Chris]

That quote kills me.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote
0080 is the only one that actually goes: "This time we're serious, guys, war is bad and not cool. We're not being counter-intuitive to that message by having little boys pilot these awesome death machines and murder people."
Zump

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:06 pm Reply with quote
WeskerGriff wrote:
kgw wrote:
WeskerGriff wrote:
TMy vote went for Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket. That series is just extremely memorable. It’s the shortest series listed, but arguably the most emotionally powerful. It doesn’t have any flashy Newtypes or antsy teenage pilots; it just has characters in it who think they are doing the right thing. Also out of all the Gundam series, I think it conveys its message the best. Plus the music is pretty awesome.

This. I would have voted for 0083, but I thought 0080 would have less votes. And besides...

spoiler["Don't cry, Al. Soon there'll be an even bigger war with even cooler mobile suits!"]

That quote kills me.

I always felt that 0080 was largely dismissed by Gundam fans and anime fans in general simply because it was a small, personal story and not a massive, sprawling war epic. And yet it arguably is one of the best written entries in the franchise; it has a small cast of likeable relatable characters; it's as long as it needs to be; and it doesn't crap the bed at any point.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Zump wrote:

I always felt that 0080 was largely dismissed by Gundam fans and anime fans in general simply because it was a small, personal story and not a massive, sprawling war epic. And yet it arguably is one of the best written entries in the franchise; it has a small cast of likeable relatable characters; it's as long as it needs to be; and it doesn't crap the bed at any point.

Most complaints about Gundam 0080 were "Why are we getting tales about some kid" when the point of the OVA was to show the effect war had on civilians and not the Zeon vs Federation fight.

Gundam 0080 has a purpose and each episode goes towards that purpose without anything getting in the way unlike some of the latter Gundam OVAs (in particular Gundam 0083 and its love triangle storyline)
WeskerGriff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Zump wrote:
WeskerGriff wrote:
kgw wrote:
WeskerGriff wrote:

That quote kills me.

It did have some exposure here in the States by being aired on Adult Swim in the early 2000s and during the Toonami Midnight Run, but the series was too short to transition well and I think a lot of fans forgot about it, which is a shame because it’s probably the best series I would recommend to anyone that isn’t a big mecha or Gundam fan because the story is strong and the characters as well, and the mecha are just props in the story not the main attraction.

I think what some US fans need to realize about 0080, is that the series was a landmark in Japan for several reasons. One because it was the first Gundam entry in the franchise that wasn’t directed by Tomino and second being it was the first series to turn back the clock to the OYW era. If it failed in the commercial sector, I highly doubt other OVA entries would have been made in the Gundam franchise. It was an experiment at the time, and one that went above expectations.
WeskerGriff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I can finally see the votes. The top three series are all AU series. Can't say I'm completely surprised, seeing as how all three of those series received the best commercial success in the States.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I had a hard time deciding between Wing and X because they're both my favorites. And I have to say, X is the only Gundam series that no one seems to fight over. In the end, I picked Wing.

I wish we could've picked 3 series. Aw well, here's my list:

- Wing series and movie ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
- X ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
It's a tie between these 2, they are pure gems.

- Universal Century series, movies, and OVAs ♥♥♥♥♥
Except War in the Pocket and MS IGLOO

- AGE ♥♥♥♥♥
- Cosmic Era series and C.E.73 Stargazer ♥♥♥♥♥
- Turn A ♥♥
All of these are great, SEED and AGE are pure fun

Decent, not great, but the movie was awful. As far as AU's go, 00 was certainly the weakest. -_-'

Haven't watched G or SD. I don't like Super Robot shows very much.

Last edited by TopGunman on Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:05 am; edited 3 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9