• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica & Fate/Zero's Urobuchi Plans Project for Kids

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:25 am Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

Chiaki J. Konaka also wrote the scripts for Princess Tutu, another story subversive of the Magical Girl genre. Anime smile

For what it's worth, he only wrote the scripts of four episodes. The main writer of the series was Michiko Yokote.

I just love getting the chance to mention it. Princess Tutu's one of my favorite anime. Anime smile Also, love your icon.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:38 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Lets be fair the only time the D word came up in conan it was censored to high heaven especially the second time they animated the first episode.

If you're talking about the English dub... then you're missing the point.
The English dub was targeted towards an adult audience in the West because it was too violent for children's eyes. Thus, they added swear words and such in to make it more for adults, but censored them on television for the sake of television's rules in the West.
In Japan, the series is more like a shounen anime, targeted towards children and adults alike. There are no "swear words" (or Japanese equivalents that aren't appropriate for children) and, though much of the examples Titan gave WERE censored on television or cut from broadcast (those are the DVD release screencaps), the DVD's themselves were still marketed towards children, as were the gadgets and such.

Madoka, on the other hand, was targeted heavily toward a niche group of adults. It was not intended to be marketed towards mainstream children like Detective Conan is. However, once the property made a miraculous turnabout and hit the mainstream, and especially after the movies were released in theaters (at least, from my understanding and experience in Japan), Madoka became popular with both adults and children of all sorts. Evangelion, too, had a similar situation when it first came out. Madoka and Evangelionare both still targeted toward the adult otaku, first and foremost, but they do lower their reach for children and such on many occasions.

I can definitely see Urobuchi writing something "dark" for children. I think I have a harder time believing that he can write something lighter and far more appropriate for children, but at the same time--especially after Madoka--he's been testing the waters for a lot of things, so I also see just about anything possible for him.

it was in reference decapitation not a swear word. it was in spoiler tags so I acted the same way.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:38 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
'Magical Girl' and 'Tragedy' aren't mutually exclusive.
I never said they were - spoiler[Sayaka's character arc] is pure magical girl tragedy. My contention has only ever been one descriptor doesn't apply to the show in its entirety.
Quote:
Gen Urobuchi wrote a story, having been inspired by people who try to justify bringing terrible destruction and tragedy by acting in the name of "Justice" and trying to "Do the right thing"
Irrelevant. Only the content and execution of the story matters.
Quote:
Are you kidding me? spoiler[ Madoka ultimately can't escape fate; she becomes a magical girl, becoming an entity consigned to do nothing but fight witches for all eternity, and then she's forced to destroy her own body and her existence is all but erased from the world, save for her brother and Homura. She fell, Sayaka falls, and Homura becomes a fallen hero (another trope of tragedy).]
A) spoiler[Madoka's self-chosen fate isn't anything remotely labelable as a "fall" - it's a self-sacrifice], something every genre has used at one point or another and doesn't indicate anything about the genre of a work. B) Nobody's contested this is a tragedy, but it's a contained one that doesn't define the work. C) Again, this trope's nowhere near exclusive to tragedies and spoiler[Homura hardly becomes a fallen hero] anyway - if anything spoiler[the ending sees her "unfall"], not exactly a common thing in tragedies.
Quote:
I'm convinced you're just being willfully ignorant at this point; are you even aware of what constitutes a tragedy? Are you aware of the significance of Madoka tapping into such a difficult, elusive form of storytelling? Who are you?
In order: yes; given it only did so for a part, nowhere near what you seem to think; and someone willing to openly admit he enjoyed a fairytale content to explore new possibilities wholly within its genre instead of attempting to transcend it.
Quote:
Solely advertising Madoka as a 'Dark Magical Girl Show' is ultimately reductive of it. 'Dark' is not a measure of quality. Saying "it's just like another thing, but dark" significantly narrows its appeal.
And thus we get to the sticking point: because it's well written, you don't want to admit it belongs squarely to a genre usually restricted for kids. Does being darker than the average magical girl work automatically make it better? No, but then neither would being a tragedy. A work's genre(s) and its quality and its appeal aren't intrinsically linked - that your reply to my conclusion that Madoka Magica is "a magical girl show that gets dark" brings quality and appeal into a discussion of genre only serves to illustrate my original point that you're merely acting out of a desire define something you like out of a genre you've elected to belittle.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5