• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Musicland to Ask for Financial Relief from Vendors

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PEAC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:33 pm Reply with quote
They have to be closing soon....when Service Merchandise went public that they were going out of business, it was 56 days after the press release, we closed are doors for the final time. but, every business is different but it should be soon, you'll see those big yellow signs, "going out of business", "store closing", "everything must go"....deals....oh well how the mighty giants fall.
monkeybusiness

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Just off the bankruptcy site...now for those of you musicland employees left at the company you should ditch your blind loyalty when you see how much they are asking the court for executive compensation to see musicland through bankruptcy! I don't know about you, but as an employee I think the reward for failure for the ceo to the tune of $480,000 is alot of money. shouldn't he just get the standard severance package of years of service? all the hard work is being done by consultants and lowerlevel employees....hmmmm...is there something wrong with corporate america? i hope the court denies this compensation package for executives....
Lady Tygry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Nabeshin wrote:

As Gig said, all they cared about were the loyalty numbers overall. I had the highest sales, gift cards, Employee of the month (so often I actually stepped down to give someone else a chance), reservations, and best of all customer loyalty (the only satisfying thing of retail, when you have people that come in for you specifically to ask your opinion or will only buy from you)-- but in the end that didn't count for squat because I didn't pitch a bait-and-switch magazine subscription to a grandmother with two onery kids in tow.

Seconded. Before they changed the policy and made the cashiers tell people how to cancel the subscription, I was notorious for not offering EWs. My reasoning: a lot of the people who wanted to sign up were kids with their first debit cards. Granted, a lot of these folks probably had help from their parents, if needed, but supposing they didn't, what happens when they throw away the info. on stopping magazine deliveries and suddenly they're missing $75 in their bank account? It just didn't seem right to me.
By the time the policy was changed, I had been moved to the video department. Even then, I had no problem with Replay but I would not offer it to people who frankly, wouldn't benefit from it-- people who were out-of-town, only there for their seasonal shopping or going through the line with a single title. If I started seeing them as frequent shoppers, then yes, I would tell them about the program.
The only people who I actively tried to sign up were the anime shoppers-- being a fan, I know how expensive the hobby is, especially if they opted to buy from Media Play rather than say, DDD; for the people who were really plesant, I would write down some other sources from where they could buy. These folks were the ones who kept coming back anyway and would call before coming to the store to find out if I was working that shift. To me, that was customer service. In the long run, it might have made a few dents in the company profit but because I respected my customers enough to be honest, they seemed to recognize that and wanted to go somewhere where they would be treated right.
Even now, the kids from the anime club still e-mail me with their questions. I had set up an e-mail account for them and offered to answer any of their questions on my own time provided they respected that I would not always respond immediately. They were respectful of me so I reciprocate.
angieness

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:08 pm Reply with quote
It's official, all stores on that list are closing and according to my boss the number has grown to over 300 closing. So yeah, losing my job. Pretty down about it since I loved the people I worked with and always had a good time talking to customers. I don't care how corrupt or whatever the company is, I actually enjoyed going to work and was at Suncoast for 2 years. I hated working at Office Depot because the employees all looked down on me since I was younger than them. At Suncoast I actually considered my coworkers friends and it was pretty rare I had problems with a customer. All the stores have 6-8 weeks before they close
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:35 pm Reply with quote
A good friend of mine works at a Sam Goody that will be closing down, and I can't believe how the company has treated him. They gave no notice that his particular location was going to close down, but then today, out of nowhere, they suddenly annoucned, "Be out of there by Wednesday." I don't know about the rest of the USA...but in our city, it's impossible to get another job on such short notice. 4 days isn't enough time.

Yeah, my two cents. I'm happy I work at a clothing store...their sales are much more stable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
angieness

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:02 am Reply with quote
Yeah I definantley just got a 6 week notice, I've heard other stores' employees haven't been so lucky though. I think with the closing of my store and the Sam Goody downstairs closing, Musicland stores will be extinct in Ohio. Think the closest Suncoast will now be in Louisville, KY Sad Wish my store could have held on until I graduate from college in a year. Hoping I can manage to get a job at the Waldenbooks downstairs from Suncoast or the EBgames across the hall since both expressed interest in getting me
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5