• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 2011 (First Half)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hospodar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:38 pm Reply with quote
dariushcc wrote:
why just japan?

One piece is the most popular manga in japan ok, but why It can't appeal like Naruto and death note as an anime and manga to people out of japan?

It’s not exactly “unpopular” outside of Japan.
But to answer your question. There are many assumptions to why it isn’t as popular.
First of all it neither does look nor does it have something Japanese in it. For example Naruto has “Ninjas” and Death Note has “Shinigami”. Both are Japanese themes which interest people outside of Japan. One Piece has “Pirates” and the Art looks more Cartoony. So on first glance People will choose something like Naruto for the “Japanese” feel.
Second of all One Piece doesn’t have an explosive start. It is a very good series which gets better by arc but you have to watch 40 Episodes to reach the Arlong Park where you see for the first time a glimpse of what Oda can do. Death Note is rather short and hooks you after 2-3 Episodes. The first arc of Naruto is the best one of the whole Manga and the Chunin Exam is also rather interesting. Many people watch like the first 8 Episodes of OP, see a clown, think it’s childish and uninteresting or you average Shonen. Also one other reason is that OP is insanely long and that there is no end in sight. So most people don’t want to marathon something so big if they aren’t hooked in the first 5 Episodes.

dariushcc wrote:
Does it even important for a mangaka to have overseas audiences?

No it isn’t important at all. The most popular Manga Naruto doesn’t even sell 1 Million copies per volume world wide (minus Japan)
When something is unpopular in Japan but reaches popularity outside of Japan it will still get cancelled.
syrianmj

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:21 pm Reply with quote
one piece like twilight most fans r girls & stupid
bleach deserve this position cause the battel versus izen was aweful
hope naruto reach 6.5 in the end of the year Twisted Evil
why no guest post option?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:36 am Reply with quote
syrianmj wrote:
one piece like twilight most fans r girls & stupid
bleach deserve this position cause the battel versus izen was aweful
hope naruto reach 6.5 in the end of the year Twisted Evil

it's a shounen title
yeah there's a lot of fan girls&fujoshi

but not like twilight lol
timmyjingoro wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
So its official the new Japanese big three is One Piece, Naruto, and Gantz. Stop referring to bleach as part of the Big Three, although you may include it as part of the Big 9.

Post was removed due to blatant insults and disrespect towards other users. - Keonyn

what happened dude?
did that dude flip you off or it's just your fanboyism

Last edited by why no guest post option? on Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
dariushcc

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:51 am Reply with quote
Hospodar wrote:
dariushcc wrote:
why just japan?

One piece is the most popular manga in japan ok, but why It can't appeal like Naruto and death note as an anime and manga to people out of japan?

It’s not exactly “unpopular” outside of Japan.
But to answer your question. There are many assumptions to why it isn’t as popular.
First of all it neither does look nor does it have something Japanese in it. For example Naruto has “Ninjas” and Death Note has “Shinigami”. Both are Japanese themes which interest people outside of Japan. One Piece has “Pirates” and the Art looks more Cartoony. So on first glance People will choose something like Naruto for the “Japanese” feel.
Second of all One Piece doesn’t have an explosive start. It is a very good series which gets better by arc but you have to watch 40 Episodes to reach the Arlong Park where you see for the first time a glimpse of what Oda can do. Death Note is rather short and hooks you after 2-3 Episodes. The first arc of Naruto is the best one of the whole Manga and the Chunin Exam is also rather interesting. Many people watch like the first 8 Episodes of OP, see a clown, think it’s childish and uninteresting or you average Shonen. Also one other reason is that OP is insanely long and that there is no end in sight. So most people don’t want to marathon something so big if they aren’t hooked in the first 5 Episodes.

I have watched a lot more than 40 episodes but I didn't liked it that much, same as your saying I didn't find any thing Japanese in it It was not even anime like to me, and the art was kind of odd I thought it would be more fun If I watch some western animation even family guy or south park would be better. Actually there is not so many animes that can compete with wester animation. And it would be sad if some animes like naruto get canceled because of popularity in japan.

Hospodar wrote:

dariushcc wrote:
Does it even important for a mangaka to have overseas audiences?

No it isn’t important at all. The most popular Manga Naruto doesn’t even sell 1 Million copies per volume world wide (minus Japan)
When something is unpopular in Japan but reaches popularity outside of Japan it will still get cancelled.

what about anime adaption itself? because naruto english dubbed version is aired in US and Europe?[/quote]
Hospodar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:48 pm Reply with quote
dariushcc wrote:

And it would be sad if some animes like naruto get canceled because of popularity in japan.

You don’t have to worry about Naruto. Naruto is one of the most popular Manga and Anime in Japan. It is more than that. It’s a whole franchise with merchandise like games, figures and thousand other things. The anime will be continued to keep the franchise alive.
Bleach for example has around the worst rankings of all WSJ Mangas.
Here are the rankings for the last three weeks:

5/2-5/8
Gintama: 2.4%
Bleach: 1.9%
Sket: 2.3%
Naruto: 4.2%
AoEx: 2.5%
Beelze: 2.6%
Toriko: 6.1%
OP: 8.0%

5/9-5/15
Gintama: 2.2%
Bleach: 2.7%
Sket: 2.0%
Naruto: 3.7%
AoEx: 3.5%
Beelze: 3.1%
Toriko: 6.5%
OP: 9.4%

5/16-5/22
Gintama: 1.8%
Bleach: 1.7%
Sket: 2.4%
Naruto: 4.1%
AoEx: 2.9%
Beelze: 3.5%
Toriko: 6.8%
OP: 9.3%

But it has good DVD sales and a franchise. So the Anime will be kept alive for the sake of the franchise. This is also the reason why there are even long running anime. Because the franchise must be kept alive.

dariushcc wrote:

what about anime adaption itself? because naruto english dubbed version is aired in US and Europe?

I’m not sure about that. The Anime Market is bigger than the Manga Market outside of Japan.
But the thought process has 2 problems. First only popular Manga or Novels get even an Anime adaption (Well special Manga or Novels who are targeted at a special demographic also get Animes.). So you already have to have a certain popularity to get an Anime.
Second of all. A Company from outside Japan will only license already popular Animes in Japan. Most Companies don’t like to license long running Anime anyway. So it already has to have a certain popularity in Japan and an already popular Manga outside of Japan to get a long running Anime outside of Japan.

For 13 Episode or 26 Episode Animes there is no risk. They are already produced but there probably won’t be a second or third Season if the DVDs or Blue Rays aren’t selling in japan.

But I once heard a rumor. I don’t know how true it is. I heard that Onegai Sensei (Please Teacher) got a spin off because the Anime was popular over seas. But like I said. I don’t know how true that is.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:11 pm Reply with quote
dariushcc wrote:
what about anime adaption itself? because naruto english dubbed version is aired in US and Europe?

Well, One Piece dubbed is aired in Korea, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Brazil, Philippines, and various Arab countries...

And there's probably more, but that's what is listed in the encyclopedia page.
syrianmj

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
dariushcc wrote:

Well, One Piece dubbed is aired in Korea, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Brazil, Philippines, and various Arab countries...

in france naruto sell 500.000 copies while op sells 100.000
about arab countries yes op is popular but trust me comparing to naruto it is nothing both adults and teens r so crazy about naruto
iloveoov

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:40 pm Reply with quote
syrianmj wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
dariushcc wrote:

about arab countries yes op is popular but trust me comparing to naruto it is nothing both adults and teens r so crazy about naruto

manga market outside japan only 20-30% compare to japanese manga market..

from your example we can see that only 400k different between naruto and one piece while in japan they have like 20+ million different. and France is the biggest manga market after Japan if i'm not mistaken.
roroy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:43 am Reply with quote
[Obvious trolling removed]
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:22 am Reply with quote
i am not naruto fanboy (since i can be to this show as strict as it requires), but there is no information that the anime is the most hated, since, despite being horrible in art and pacing in most of episodes, it has some redeeming qualities such as outstanding music (mostly first series) and interesting dramatic story (when it drown not that bad and not slowed down to death by anime directors)...

as to bleach, whether it is in top three or not should not really concern the fans... their should rely on their own estimation of the story... for these who are not fans, but just watchers, it may mean something, though...
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:54 pm Reply with quote
The Big 3 is a term developed to describe currently running popular manga/anime franchises outside of Japan. To my understanding the term was coined because there happened to be 3 ridiculously large franchises going on at one time.

Missing a volume and having less manga sales than others for this half does not remove Bleach from the Big 3.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:50 am Reply with quote
One Piece will still go on for at least 10 more years, so expect the sales numbers to increase more and more.
syrianmj

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:20 pm Reply with quote
iloveoov wrote:
syrianmj wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
dariushcc wrote:

from your example we can see that only 400k different between naruto and one piece while in japan they have like 20+ million different. and France is the biggest manga market after Japan if i'm not mistaken.

1-am talking about one folder sales not the series
2-no doubt about it op in dominating the manga market in japan but lets talk about op fans 80% girl 15% kids
while naruto 50% teens 50 % adults so the quality matters too
4 example twilight trilogy sells more than al pacino & robert de niro movies together is that mean twilight is better no but all the fans r girls exactly like op Arrow
iloveoov

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:47 pm Reply with quote
syrianmj wrote:
iloveoov wrote:
syrianmj wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
dariushcc wrote:

1-am talking about one folder sales not the series
2-no doubt about it op in dominating the manga market in japan but lets talk about op fans 80% girl 15% kids
while naruto 50% teens 50 % adults so the quality matters too
4 example twilight trilogy sells more than al pacino & robert de niro movies together is that mean twilight is better no but all the fans r girls exactly like op Arrow

are you actually serious?
1. where did you get this statistic? "op fans 80% girl 15% kids " and "50% teens 50 % adults " - fan-fic?

2. one piece already running for 13 years, even NARUTO after 10 years its started to declining while one piece getting better and better overtime, the old fans stick to it, gain new fans, some "kid" fans now already mature and having a family, and guess what, they still enjoying it, and that's definitely is not something that has a "cheap, not last long and ridiculously stupid popularity" like Twilight and Justin Bieber can achieve 10 years from now. seriously sometimes, a very good story also can have a godlike popularity like StarWars original trilogy, Batman movies by Nolan, Harry Potter novel(i guess), Pixar film's and etc.

3.One piece is a kid manga and aim at kids demographic, but shockingly its readers are from all demographic, kids, teens, adult, old people. not just teen girl. and i think, teen girl favorite always change from time to time, i mean its like they can't make up their mind. Twisted Evil

NHK: 9/10ths of One Piece Manga Buyers are Adults
animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2011-02-09/nhk/9/10ths-of-one-piece-manga-buyers-are-adults
and some stupid may argue by saying, kids that read One Piece become older..
dariushcc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:24 am Reply with quote
Thanks guys for your information. I want to share my info as well I am from IRAN and here Naruto is the most popular anime about 4 times more popular than OP . It's interesting that here bleach is slighty more popular than op.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6