• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
List of Summer Season 2011 TV Anime in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NonoAsumy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Checking out both noitanima shows

Although I wonder if animation will do good for Usagi Drop
well I´ll let them surprise me.

Penguindrum (it´s the same director as Utena right?)
I will definately give Nyanpire a chance

... and I might check out Yuruyuri
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:44 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Emerje wrote:
Quote:
The older-boy-meets-young-female-detective is becoming a rather familiar trope (see also: Gosick

Er, in Gosick, VIctorique and Kujo are the same age, she's just that short (as is her mother).

At least in the anime, following the dates, I got the impression that Victorique was 10 and Kujo 14. Correct me if I got that wrong, but she was born in 1914, and this is 1924, right? Of course, four years is not a huge age difference at all, especially for the time period, and besides, at least thus far they are more in the pre-romance, best friends stage, which is marvelous and heart-warming.

Her birthday is 12/25/1910, Kujo's is 9/2/1910 according to the Gosick Wiki, though apparently the manga says he's 1909. Plus there's the fact that they're in the same grade and it's unlikely that she would have skipped grades since she rarely attends school and getting ahead wouldn't get her out any sooner.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Her birthday is 12/25/1910, Kujo's is 9/2/1910 according to the Gosick Wiki, though apparently the manga says he's 1909. Plus there's the fact that they're in the same grade and it's unlikely that she would have skipped grades since she rarely attends school and getting ahead wouldn't get her out any sooner.

Well...I will have to re-watch the episode where we get Cordelia's backstory and watch again for the date-stamp, because I could've sworn Victorique's birth was in 1914. It's entirely possible the anime changed things.

As for the grade-level issue, those were hardly standardized by 1924, especially in elite private schools.
stararnold

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Not that I hate moe, but gotta' admit that I don't find a lot of interesting titles in this feature. While the "Blade" anime is the only title I find interesting form the Summer 2011 list, I am more interested in hearing news and updates about "Mobile Suit Gundam AGE" and "Zero Desigze" (Leiji Matsumoto's upcoming animated Sci-Fi work), regarding upcoming anime.
KN_guro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I'll watch Natsume as soon as I finish the other two seasons, and I'll give Blood a try... But other than that this season seems pretty worthless. Guess I'll finish older animes instead.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I plan on only watching Blade, Blood-C, and Nurarihyon no Mago Season 2.

(though I'll be waiting for an english dub of Blood-C and maybe Blade too)
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Overall, a lot of the character designs in many of these shows are not to my liking. Other than that, Many of the shows look interesting enough to check out, at least. Better than most summers, IMO

Definitely will watch:
Natsume Yūjin-Chō San (my most anticipated for the season)
Kamisama Dolls (done by Brain's Base, as is Natsume, I like the stuff they've been producing lately)
No. 6 (Science Fiction = I'm there.)
Nurarihyon no Mago: Sennen Makyō (watched the first season and found it well produced and entertaining. I'll give the second a go)

oh, ... and that Penguindrum thing. Curious about that.

Will try:
Blood-C (I don't generally care for CLAMP's stick figure, insectoid character designs, even though I liked the first Blood+ tv series)
Dantalian no Shoka (looks a bit too much like Gosick, but I liked Gosick. Also Gainax, which will make me check it out, at least.)
Ikoku Meiro no Croisée (Historical Paris setting intrigues, Moeblob character design - not so much)
Kami-sama no Memo-chō (I'm a sucker for mysteries, so worth trying out. Looks a little too Moe though.)
Sacred Seven (looks like Saint Seiya - makes me want to see if it's a clone or not)
Nyanpire The Animation (the voice acting talent makes me think this might be really funny. I hope this is clever enough to overcome my aversion to flash animation)

Will wait for the ANN reviews, otherwise, not likely to watch:
Baka to Test to Shōkanjū Ni! (I only watched the 1st ep of the 1st series and then forgot to watch it. Is the second season less forgettable?)
Nekogami Yaoyorozu (might be funny. looks promising, but not wild about the cartoony designs, but if it's anything like Ika Musume, I will watch)
Usagi Drop (Knowing what I know about the manga ending, I don't want to support the anime)
The IDOLM@STER, / Uta no Prince-sama - Maji Love 1000% (These are basically the same show. Is there any plot? Is the music anything other than generic J-Pop? Is it only there for the pretty girls/men? nurrrrr.)
Morita-san wa Mukuchi (shows like this bore me to death)

Would prefer to be water-boarded:
Itsuka Tenma no Kuro-Usagi
Mayo Chiki!
Yuruyuri
Kaitō Tenshi Twin Angel - Kyun Kyun?Tokimeki Paradise!!
R-15
Ro-Kyu-Bu!

Last edited by tuxedocat on Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
daichi383

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:25 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:

Nurarihyon no Mago: Sennen Makyō (watched the first season and found it well produced and entertaining. I'll give the second a go)
Sacred Seven (looks like Saint Seiya - makes me want to see if it's a clone or not)
Usagi Drop (Knowing what I know about the manga ending, I don't want to support the anime)

The first season of Nurarihyon constantly shoved Aya hirano's character where she didn't belong to the point that she was made a major part of the finale whereas the manga didn't even mention her in the arc and thats something i found annoying until i found out the old director had a thing for the character. with a new director i hope he can fix that and so far it looks like its headed in the right direction which means i will definetly be watching. in the case of Sacred seven i was thinking the same thing you were so imma gonna watch that. and finnaly usagi drop look like a charming non-pedobait type of show so im watchin that too despite the fact the ending may or may not be Shocked
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:36 pm Reply with quote
June 6th for Baka Test Season 2? Is that right?
eaglesdome810

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:37 pm Reply with quote
This looks bad (For my taste)... Sad Ah well *hopes for the best.*
Raneth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I will check out No. 6 and Blood-C. None of the rest really appeal to me all that much, although I do need to start watching Natsume.

Question for those willing to enlighten me: how do we find out which shows from previous seasons are continuing? They never show up in new season guides.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:40 pm Reply with quote
This Summer season looks quite terrible to be honest (at least for my taste in anime.)

I thought of watching Usagi Drop, but given how the manga turns out, I am going to pass on that one.

While I have nothing against moe (I just don't really care for the genre) it seems like most the shows are mostly moe shows.

Maybe more shows will be listed in July or later, that would be nice to see. If not, at least I still have Beelzebub,Toriko. Those series are on going as of now, so at lest I'll have some new anime to watch, so to speak.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:50 pm Reply with quote
*wistfully yearns for the days when anime as a whole was known for awesome sci-fi and giant robots instead of moeblob nonsense*
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Raneth wrote:
Question for those willing to enlighten me: how do we find out which shows from previous seasons are continuing? They never show up in new season guides.

For some shows, when they're announced they will also announce how many episodes they are (like, Hanasaku Iroha announced that it would be 2 cour right off the bat) and for other shows the best way to figure it out is to see how many DVDs are planned and how many episodes are on them (which is how I figured out Tiger and Bunny would be 2 cour, there are nine DVDs with two or three episodes each on them which is way too many for a 13 episode show). I've also seen people figure out how long a show will be by checking to see if anything else will take over the timeslot the next season (like for the noitaminA timeslot, since there are already two fall shows lined up I know that the summer shows will only be 11 episodes long), honestly it involves a lot more guess work and digging around than it should.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
*wistfully yearns for the days when anime as a whole was known for awesome sci-fi and giant robots instead of moeblob nonsense*

Truth is moe has always existed as a large part of anime, we just didn't have a name for it in the 80s and 90s. Think about it: Many Rumiko Takahashi titles, most of the Ghibli library, Sailor Moon along with all other magical girl series, Tenchi, Saber Marionette, Orange Road, Project A-KO, Gunbuster, and many other titles released outside of Japan along with hundreds that never were would all be called "moe" had they been released today. Moe isn't a new concept to anime, the label is.

And just like how many of those shows are truly awesome and have stood the test of time, a lot of the modern moe titles are just as good or better. Personally I enjoy moe now just as much as I did nearly 20 years ago.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8