• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Perfect Insider (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:03 pm Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:
I also had to laugh about antivirus software not being able to detect trojans, however. I'm wondering if this part was meant to be incorrect or not.

I thought it implausible that Moe didn't know what a Trojan was. Still someone had to ask the question on behalf of the audience. The notion that antivirus software cannot detect Trojans is, as you say, entirely false.

Reverting to "UNIX" was also rather amusing. The producers forgot or chose not to include the trademark registration symbol in the name "UNIX®". Had they not spelled it in capital letters they might have been on safer ground. The word "UNIX" in all caps is a licensed trademark of The Open Group.

Frankly I would have expected them to revert to an open-source *nix clone like Linux or some BSD variant.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:57 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
HelloBucket wrote:
I also had to laugh about antivirus software not being able to detect trojans, however. I'm wondering if this part was meant to be incorrect or not.

I thought it implausible that Moe didn't know what a Trojan was. Still someone had to ask the question on behalf of the audience. The notion that antivirus software cannot detect Trojans is, as you say, entirely false.

It was entirely weird for a description of a Trojan virus, but then I realised, it was not meant to explain a virus, it was meant to open up our minds to who the killer might be.

And I stand firmer with the theory that the killer is her child, and I feel more confident to give more details. Her child is likely a boy, this is going off the fact we had the question given if even a man could impersonate her, and at the end of the episode we see what looks more like male legs at the top right. The crazy flashes of images included several prominent images of a pregnant woman.

One of the oddest things seemed to be the assertion earlier in the series that the professor was smelling so much. Now I don't know a lot of what happens to the body, but I thought maybe the body had been dead for fairly long. There seems to be a possible hint that her son had killed her and was using her body in the interview with Moe as some sort of puppet to get a window to the outside world. Okay that last one is probably unnecessarily reaching, but I do remember thinking that she looked kind of dead like during that interview in being emotionless.

An alternative is that Shiki is not dead, she likely had a daughter, she raised her to the age she was last seen, got her to appear in interviews, and then killed her daughter to fake her death and escape. The reason the arms were removed were not so someone could use them to fake her identity, but so others could not prove that it was not actually her.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:25 am Reply with quote
So...normally there are like what, 8 people tops in that facility? Why do they need a happy fun pod or three in every room? Especially when you don't even need the pod to trip out?
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9:

The locked room case about Makata Shiki and the killer reached an interesting point this episode. Loved the way Moe and Sohei managed to use facts about the gap in time from the files. I didn't think it was that complicated as the killer apparently took advantage of the overwritten time even if it's just a minute.

Quite a bit of buildup and suspense this episode but one of the thrilling ones imo with calculation. This one also felt like it went pretty fast too.

Btw, anyone else noticed the Noitamina titles on the wall? Lol. I see what they did there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:01 pm Reply with quote
First off,spoiler[ congrats to DuskyPredator for solving the mystery!]
I didn't consider a spoiler[daughter] until around episode 7 or so when I thought to myselfspoiler[ "Huh, I bet the pedo uncle Director didn't want to use condoms because of his wilderness shtick & got a 15 year old knocked up"] and then Souhei's comment about how Moe spoiler[didn't talk to the real Shiki.]

Now, the question remains: where is spoiler[Shiki] now (I'm guessing in the wilderness).

Stark700 wrote:
Episode 9:

Btw, anyone else noticed the Noitamina titles on the wall? Lol. I see what they did there.

Heck yeah!

I fangirled so hard seeing the No.6 and Black Rock Shooter posters. Not so much for Fractale, Robotic Notes or Guilty Crown. The lack of josei posters sucked.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:12 am Reply with quote
So it was dusky who called it? Yeah grats, although it seems like it wasn't so much the daughter who killed Shiki but rather Shiki who killed the daughter (God that makes it even stupider, they do know adult look different than children?)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:53 am Reply with quote
All the way back in episode 4 I thought it was possible that she had a child. My crazy theories are never right, they always turn into my inane fanfiction versions. It also seems that out of the two, theory number 2 that I put forward last week is the more probable. She used her own daughter to fake her own death.

meiam wrote:
So it was dusky who called it? Yeah grats, although it seems like it wasn't so much the daughter who killed Shiki but rather Shiki who killed the daughter (God that makes it even stupider, they do know adult look different than children?)

It was why there was no record of what she looked like for those 15 years, people would just fall into her strange nature in thinking that she did not age much. And there is the chance that Shiki raised her daughter to have aspects that others might mistake for a somehow young looking 29 year old. She had a controllable environment to work with.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10:

So we finally find out the truth about what "F" means as part of "Everything Becomes F". Very interesting revelation. For some reason, I find the change in tone with the background setting to be quite creative despite the eerie mood for this week's episode.

Overall, pretty thought provoking episode about Makata Shiki's true identity.

One more episode to go!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:08 pm Reply with quote
episode ten

I was wondering if the hexadecimal shoe was ever going to drop. I'm irrationally happy that it did. Also happy that my suspicions that the director was expecting to be killed and was a "willing" participant were correct.

I'm really curious what the final episode is going to be about. I somehow doubt they'll catch Dr. Magata. It would be nice if there was a bit more thematic resolution but I feel like they've wasted so much time on that front that it's unlikely.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:19 am Reply with quote
So, Dr. Magata managed to raise a daughter completely alone secretly. Even the people at the lab didn't know about the kid. And even though she could leave at any time, she hatched an elaborate plan that ended in her killing her daughter and her Uncle/Lover, faking her own death in the process, and disguising herself as her sister, who never existed, to run away. Wouldn't her Aunt know that she never had a younger sister? The whole situation is implausible, but pretending she had a sister who never existed really pushes It. Also, the virtual reality dream machines, but at least those involve fanservice! Very Happy
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:17 am Reply with quote
Hmm, so what was said in the interview early threw off the daughter. Honestly I had suspicions of the supposed sister, and I thought that there was a real chance that the killer escaped on the boat with the group from earlier. What is interesting is how much we might even convict Magata as a murderer. The director seemed to have accepted it that you might call it an assisted suicide, but perhaps more in line of suicide. And we don't know what actually happened with the daughter, the episode put forward that she might have killed herself, which might have meant the actual crime would be tampering with a body, and probably cases of abuse in raising a child. Magata herself was an under aged parent that literally had no supports in raising a child, that who knows what one could put her at being able to properly raise a child after having been put in confinement. Although she looks very aware of things and very smart, she seems to have a natural warped from the rest of society view, that criminal conviction seems unfit to judge her actions and instead some sort of mental facility to keep her from hurting others seems more on track.

I don't really feel the personal justification of the philosophical ideas as "because I can" is a valued or right point of view. Although parts do bring up some interesting ideas I saw in Sword Art Online of whether a true person is the physical body you use to meet the various standard of "real life", or digital/the mind worlds are just as valuable as who someone is. One could even be multiple people and or personalities. I myself value my mind, it why I come this anime website almost every day, and why in gaming I get quite a lot of joy from making multiple characters.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11:

I suppose this ties back to the beginning as this series seems to associate with themes of life and death. For the majority, I think the show did a good job with the mystery for the second half (first half felt a bit of a hit or miss in terms of pacing imo). However, the last few episodes approached mystery in a thrilling way that I found quite very appealing.

The case isn't just about solving it to find the culprit but the moral and reasoning. I think the reasoning to "go outside" can be looked from a variety of ways from the finale. Overall, still a very well crafted show. Unique as well. Looking forward to Noitamina's next show for Winter. Also one of the best OP songs this season. Rating this very good.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11 (finale)

Yeah, this felt like a fitting finale to everything. It started with a bunch of talking, so that is how it should end.

So really the episode largely touched on the ideas that things can mean different to different people. I think that an important aspect was of morals change between people. Although not really touched on that much in this series, there is such a thing as the social contract, it keeps people safe, but it is also something that limits freedom. Shiki largely separated herself from the social contract by isolating herself, but the idea itself was brought up earlier with the idea of using just the knife to make your way in life.

Was her having sex with her uncle wrong when she apparently gave consent? Was her killing her uncle wrong when he seemed to give consent? The real answer probably comes down to undue influence, whether she actually understood what she was getting into, and the same with him the other way around in the second scenario. The show itself seems to have really wanted to portray that this was a situation where you might say Shiki was, the last episode focused on reasoning of wanting to be killed by someone that although separate from most of society did have some basis in some form of logic.

But what her daughter? Really still not all spelled out. Her daughter now exists as another personality inside of Shiki, so maybe we could draw this to a conclusion that Shiki was kind of crazy of wanting her to exist inside of her. But the question asking and answering did not really seem to have much of that in the end, instead we seemed to see her having a very similar conversation of what she had with Souhei. This must thematically connect to both what he said in lessons from Moe's father, and what Moe questioned the daughter about who she was. Perhaps it really was her consent that the most important person in her life to be the one to kill her, it is in usual social contract to not kill someone, but they were in a completely different environment where their point of view was ending someone's life had a romantic element to it.

I think the show ended without giving any definitive answers, and that was perhaps for the best. This was a very interesting series that I think was well grounded from its drama origins. Some of the philosophy seemed to ridiculous spouting of self importance that would call looking at something one way simply because they can, and not because it has much basis of being right. I like a mystery where you can put the pieces together to see the answer with what you have. Some people think the secret daughter thing is ridiculous, but I stand strong that it was logical with what we had been shown. I give a rating of Very good, it was an interesting watch with a few minor holes in it.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:01 pm Reply with quote
episode eleven

As much as I've enjoyed the direction throughout the series, that wasn't quite enough to hold it together for me.

I think Perfect Insider suffers from trying to be a mystery and be philosophical at the same time. The mystery and character development suffer rather than benefit from all the philosophical talk and yet despite all that talk I don't believe the series does a good job of expounding upon its ideas. The philosophical comments each feel like a text message from a stoned friend who just had the best idea after staring off into space for an hour. It's hard for a single sentence to carry too much information or intrigue and in the end the nuts and bolts of how a person has reached their conclusions is almost always of more interest and value than that conclusion. Yet, just like the stoned friend, Perfect Insider can't really enunciate how it came to any particular destination. Had it avoided all the philosophy, it could have focused more on its natural character moments which were good, but ultimately too thin to sustain eleven episodes. It also would have had more time to build a more involved, and interesting, mystery.

Put another way: Perfect Insider is less than the sum of its parts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5